Colorado WRX 2024

88 at Ute yesterday and 78 at Walnut today - sucks to suck.  How is Walnut rated so low with those greens rolling fast?  I only had one three-putt, but had to make a few 10-12 footers.  Learned today that I will not be carrying at Walnut anymore with the back nine being the back nine again.  Dang!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dancin said:

$170 is their peak rate on weekends and it is not worth that; although, as a Windsor resident you get a whole 10% off! https://raindancenational.com/green-fees/

The other thing that hurts them is trying to sign up to book online tee times makes it seem like you are joining pelican lakes as a member and then you have to know to switch to the raindance tee time link on the left as it defaults to pelican lakes for tee times.

From what I’ve heard I would agree. I would rather go to TPC or pay less to play HM. And I probably wouldn’t like RD as much as HM anyway. Guess maybe in a few years the price might fall in line. And as much yardage as a I lose each year lately I won’t want to go there by then. 

4 hours ago, j4663535 said:

Definitely from the appropriate tees next time.

From the tips??

I had that year long membership

last year. I don’t miss playing out there. Not being walkable is pretty much a deal breaker for me. It’s hot and dusty out there in the summer, too. Much more pleasant to go walk Collindale, and much closer to

my house. It seemed like they had about three members who played regularly on weekends. Weird vibes. 

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

The Coloradoan published a list of “Top Ten Public Courses in CO” recently. It seemed like it was in no particular order. Here was the ten:

Rain Dance

Red Sky Fazio

Red Sky Norman

Redlands Mesa

TPC

CommonGround

Broadmoor

Bear Dance

Ridge at Castle Pines

Haymaker

• Like 2

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

57 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

From the tips??

I had that year long membership

last year. I don’t miss playing out there. Not being walkable is pretty much a deal breaker for me. It’s hot and dusty out there in the summer, too. Much more pleasant to go walk Collindale, and much closer to

my house. It seemed like they had about three members who played regularly on weekends. Weird vibes. 

From the blue tees. 6900y is a lot more manageable instead of 7700y

1 hour ago, Joelness said:

I need some WRX energy tomorrow gents. This will be the third time in a row I've controlled my own Destiny into the last match of pod play so hopefully it's the charm.

CGA Match Play started Sunday. I tied my first match and won the second. If I beat Westin Pals tomorrow it's round of 16 and on.

Go get it!! We’re rooting for you. Can’t wait to hear about the victory! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jda said:

I guess that you cannot just add National to your name and make it work?

Pelican Lakes is as close to a cult that you will see, in a good way.  Imagine all of the folks who live around Fox Hill, but 5-10x more of them and on steroids with young families.  RD cannot offer what they do with the pool, the kids being able to drive the carts to the clubhouse/pool and all of the social stuff for the young families including golf programs.  It is amazing to see that place in the afternoon on a Summer day, or during a HS golf match - kids everywhere, personal golf carts lined up and parents having all kinds of fun.

I have appraised probably a hundred homes at Raindance (on top of the hill) and I would be shocked if many of them could afford a course like this.  The higher money and property values are in Highland Meadows... and they have a whole bunch of residents who like to cart over there and hang and eat/drink at their mini restaurant with the nice outdoor area too.  It is like Pelican-lite for families without young kids anymore.

If this is what they were going after, this was a miss from conception, IMO.  Perplexing.  Seems like this one will be sold a few times and end up a $75-90 course like Pelican or HM as soon as the market turns down.

Maybe they are in the Green saver for BOGO, but I doubt it.  I would go on a BOGO.

I must have missed this, but another appraiser in here? Nice

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Joelness said:

I need some WRX energy tomorrow gents. This will be the third time in a row I've controlled my own Destiny into the last match of pod play so hopefully it's the charm.

CGA Match Play started Sunday. I tied my first match and won the second. If I beat Westin Pals tomorrow it's round of 16 and on.

36 carrying on Friday for those that advance?  Dang!  Well wishes here.  If you make it, call me and I will carry your bag for at least one loop if you want.

I honestly cannot remember a course that does not allow push carts, although I have probably been at one before.

Welp, that didn't go well. I had a bad striking day and when I did hit it how I wanted 3-4 of them missed my spot by 2-4 yards and flipped my score from a birdie to a bogey. I drove it good outside of two bad ones on 3 and 9. Westin played about as I expected, in the 2-3 bogies and ~5 birdies range. I haven't looked at the card yet but it was a smackdown.

Don't forget Columbine CC! Every year they host the US Am Qual. Until this year it was one day 36 holes walking with no push carts allowed. This year the USGA changed it to two 18 hole stages so they will host one of the 2nd stage ones. 

On 6/10/2024 at 7:58 PM, j4663535 said:

From the blue tees. 6900y is a lot more manageable instead of 7700y

I know, I was just playin. I played it from the tips once just to see if I could finish the round from back there. I think I actually only lost like 3 or 4 balls and shot like a 92. It was a fun experiment. I’m pretty sure on holes 2 and 4 you have to carry it like 290 off the tee just to get to where the fairway begins. No getting away with a squirrely drive there. They are slightly dowmhill

but still…

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I played nine at Collindale today and it is brown and crispy in the rough. Fairways and greens are still being watered and they are mostly green. It seems they are not watering the rough. I actually like it that way, prefer it to over watering. But man, I am pretty shocked at how brown and crispy it is this early in June. I’ve never seen it look like that out there ever, let alone this early in the year. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I have a friend staying in Grand Lake and I want to play one of the courses up there on my way from Denver. I played Pole Creek a long time ago so I'm looking to play something new. Has anyone played Grand Elk Golf Club or Granby Ranch Golf Course and if so which one did you like better?

Thanks

Granby Ranch is beautiful and the setting and views are incredible. However they have struggled with conditions in the past, not sure if they have resolved some of the issues as it's been a few years since I played it.  Grand Elk I really enjoy playing as well, it's a good course.  Agree with @jda that you can't go wrong with either.  

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

I played Granby in 2022 and conditions were fine. If you can't decide - if you like elevation changes more go with Granby.

played um both last year. I that granby ranch was more fun but grand elk had better conditions. 

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Thanks, everyone, for some great discussions while I was gone. Korea was amazing, and I'm still incredibly jet-lagged. It doesn't help that work this week has been hectic since an employee left while I was gone.

I went out last night for the third time since October. I shot a lackluster 43 at South Suburban--two doubles and three bogeys. Except for a three-putt on #9, my putting was actually really good. I drained two extremely scary downhill par putts on #5 and #7. Also lucky that it was mostly cloud and breezy last night, it made the stupid hot temperatures more bearable.

• Like 4

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Drove 11 at Walnut today in the middle of the green.  I know that this is not a huge feat for some, but for me as I approach 50 years old, 351 yards on a clam day even with a bit of downhill still makes me feel like Joel every once in a while again.  🙂  I have never cared about such things, but it kinda made my day a bit.  I had three two-putt birdies today which is one of the best feelings in golf for me.

Is it a free drop if somebody plays my ball, we cannot find mine (even though it was supposed to be in the fairway but is gone now because it was hit), so I drop and we don't realize it until the guy sees my marked ball on the green?  I dropped to speed up play and had no idea that he hit my ball at the time.  I know that it is a free drop if you know that somebody hit your ball in the moment, but what about at the green after the fact?  Dude had a cart and was up there and hit before I could even get close walking.

Edited by jda
  • Like 4

In the future if you are virtually certain your ball was in the fairway you would declare that, see if other playing partners agree and take your free drop. If due to a blind tee shot or something that made it so you couldn't be virtually certain then you are SOL and in your case would be doubly so since you played a lost ball shot from the wrong spot.

Hmm actually not even sure about that. I think you might be screwed in every case unless you actually saw where your ball was and saw the other person hit it.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 2

Got out for 9 on Friday and 18 Saturday with the new motorized push cart. This might be one of my favorite golf purchases. It's amazing how much more energy I had after the round rather than having to push the cart. Plus it's way easier to drink a beer while walking down the fairway. 😂

I feel like my game is in a pretty good spot right now though my putting has been mediocre. It hasn't felt terrible, but I just can't find the bottom of the cup from 5-8ft lately. Friday, I shot a 37 then Saturday I shot a 37/40 with a 4-putt double on 8 (this one hurt the ego lol) with 37 putts. I had four missed birdie putts from 4-6ft on Saturday and two of them were on the last two holes trying to reel back in my score. All in all, I'm definitely happy with those scores.

It was a great weekend overall hanging with friends and family at the pool, playing a bunch of golf, playing some tennis, and going to see a movie last night with the fam. Hope all you dad's had a great father's day! 🍻

• Like 3

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

12 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Hmm actually not even sure about that. I think you might be screwed in every case unless you actually saw where your ball was and saw the other person hit it.

Right?  This would never happen in a REAL round/match that mattered, but with 3 randos on a Saturday, you are kinda on your own especially when they don't even look to see what ball they are hitting or check for marks.  I just dropped near where I saw it land and took my par without a penalty when he tossed my ball over to me on the green and apologized.  Who knows?  It was on 16 at Walnut where you cannot see much after a bounce or two.

On 6/15/2024 at 1:30 PM, jda said:

Drove 11 at Walnut today in the middle of the green.  I know that this is not a huge feat for some, but for me as I approach 50 years old, 351 yards on a clam day even with a bit of downhill still makes me feel like Joel every once in a while again.  🙂  I have never cared about such things, but it kinda made my day a bit.  I had three two-putt birdies today which is one of the best feelings in golf for me.

Is it a free drop if somebody plays my ball, we cannot find mine (even though it was supposed to be in the fairway but is gone now because it was hit), so I drop and we don't realize it until the guy sees my marked ball on the green?  I dropped to speed up play and had no idea that he hit my ball at the time.  I know that it is a free drop if you know that somebody hit your ball in the moment, but what about at the green after the fact?  Dude had a cart and was up there and hit before I could even get close walking.

If you don't have direct evidence then your ball is lost. If you had the inkling the other guy hit your ball then it could be checked and doing so would not go against your 3m. To restate what I think you also mentioned, if he did hit your ball then he must re-create your lie to the best of his ability and you go from there no penalty.

• Like 1

The craziest instance of this happened to me at CO National on 15. I was playing with the 1st Assistant at the time and I landed my ball on top of his in the middle of the fairway. They both went sideways into the rough to areas we wouldn't have looked for. Lucky for us someone was driving up the hole to join us and actually saw it happen otherwise we would've both been screwed.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaar said:

Got out for 9 on Friday and 18 Saturday with the new motorized push cart. This might be one of my favorite golf purchases. It's amazing how much more energy I had after the round rather than having to push the cart. Plus it's way easier to drink a beer while walking down the fairway. 😂

I feel like my game is in a pretty good spot right now though my putting has been mediocre. It hasn't felt terrible, but I just can't find the bottom of the cup from 5-8ft lately. Friday, I shot a 37 then Saturday I shot a 37/40 with a 4-putt double on 8 (this one hurt the ego lol) with 37 putts. I had four missed birdie putts from 4-6ft on Saturday and two of them were on the last two holes trying to reel back in my score. All in all, I'm definitely happy with those scores.

It was a great weekend overall hanging with friends and family at the pool, playing a bunch of golf, playing some tennis, and going to see a movie last night with the fam. Hope all you dad's had a great father's day! 🍻

Isn't the cart awesome?!?! I played the Denver City this weekend and handed my caddy the remote. She's a college golfer whose back started acting up at the end of the season so it was that or no caddy.

I second the statement, I hope everyone had an amazing father's day weekend! 

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1