Colorado WRX 2024

On 3/11/2024 at 8:13 AM, pseudoswede said:

Spring Valley - website says they're re-opening this month after being closed most of last year, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's tough to believe the owners (land developers) want to put any money into this course when their ultimate goal is to raze the whole area and put up one-acre homesites. But I guess now that housing prices have cooled, they'll have to wait.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:27 AM, Dancin said:

They have pictures on their web site of all the work they did to fix the flooded holes. I'm surprised they are coming back too after they were trying to sell it. I thought for sure they were going to fold after the floods. They pretty much have to have it to convince people to buy homes that far away.

A friend and his wife play out of Spring Valley.  They moved to Elisabeth years ago so there is a draw as noted.   

Talking with him the tee sheet is FULL every weekend so they are getting people down there to play but pretty sure it is the only public course in the general area?   I guess during the week it is hit or miss but still fairly full.   

Since it closed last year way early from the flooding they prorated the fees paid from last year to this year.  It seemed like they took "advantage" of that going into this year for the annual members.   

We were talking about the fees and he mentioned about getting "odd" vibes that the club would try to go private ultimately, or semi private.  He noted they hired some people from higher up clubs recently and doing all these big annoucements and in general discussion.   

Not sure if that was the intent from the start but personally I dont think a membership for private would work out there, maybe semi private would?   

Edited by CDM

1 hour ago, CDM said:

but pretty sure it is the only public course in the general area?

We were talking about the fees and he mentioned about getting "odd" vibes that the club would try to go private ultimately, or semi private.  He noted they hired some people from higher up clubs recently and doing all these big annoucements and in general discussion.   

Not sure if that was the intent from the start but personally I dont think a membership for private would work out there, maybe semi private would?   

Talk about a captive audience. There is absolutely zilch for anyone east of Elizabeth.

image.png.ab7ad8d7a817ac8360b86fe8ffd36c13.png

Anyone looking to escape the city life and move out towards Elizabeth or Kiowa will pretty much have only one choice within reasonable driving distance. Castle Rock and Heritage Eagle Bend are 25-40 minutes away.

If they can price it right (maybe 30% less than Club Corp/Pinery/Pradera) with low initiation fees. They could probably sell out memberships pretty quick.

CGA posted an article recently about Deer Creek. I was shocked to learn the same person started (and eventually sold) Cherry Creek Country Club. Guy just seemed terrible at managing anything he touched.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I'm not the most optimistic type, but I think us folks down south will be able to hit the links by Thursday. I don't think I've seen this much snow melt so fast in a very long time.

21 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

CGA posted an article recently about Deer Creek. I was shocked to learn the same person started (and eventually sold) Cherry Creek Country Club. Guy just seemed terrible at managing anything he touched.

I worked for them for a while 🤣

Mainly helping with correcttions and some aspects/courses in California when I was traveling for a large firm. 

It was an interesting "dynamic" with family. 

Terrible at managing (?) not sure on that, but I know there was a lot of "family" aspects involved which did not help.  A large separation during all of it and things slowly went down hill over time as assets got split.

** Deer Creek was a nightmare design drainage wise.  Every year they were trying to save some fairway(s) costing them a ton.  We redid the driving range as one of the approved reports had a "mistake" lets call it and we had to reduce the range to almost nothing to allow for more detention.  To help the drainage issues on the easterly 9 holes. It was so bad each time they got heavy rain it would wreck half the holes.  Short of raising all the holes up there was not much they could do.  Ie: why selling it as a golf course was viable as no one would touch it for golf with the issues....!         

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Just got back from my trip to Pinehurst.  I love that place so much, I'd happily go back every year.  US Open preparations were in full swing.  This year we played all the courses we had not played yet at the resort.  We played 6 rounds in 3 days, which was a lot. Almost too much, one day of just 18 would have been nice. We did ride 2 of the 6 rounds so that gave some relief.  

Day 1 we played 9 and 3. No. 9 is a Nicklaus course which usually isn't my favorite, but I very much enjoyed this course and was a big fan. Bent grass greens on this one (most are Bermuda down there) and they ran beautifully.  Fun course. No. 3 was okay, it's an original Ross course that was restored and is a par 68. Conditions were meh but the layout was fun.  

Day 2 was 5 and 7.  No. 5 was a very fun layout and we liked it a lot, just a well planned and enjoyable course. No. 7 was very cool and had the most elevation change (they say it adds 300 yards to the number on the scorecard and they were right). 

Day 3 we hit 6 and 8.  No. 6 is most definitely a Fazio design and I loved it. However, No. 8 was by far my favorite of the trip. The other courses were more in neighborhoods or had condos around the course.  8, however, is just the course in it's own wide open area and is fantastic. It was truly a treat to play this one.  We also played the Cradle yesterday morning before heading to the airport and as always, that was a blast.  

The good news is that 10 is opening soon and 11 is in the works as well, so there will be plenty of reasons to go back and try some new courses and play old favorites down there.  

Pinehurst is fantastic. So many great courses in the area.   

I have yet to play Southern Pines since the redo but hear it is as good as Mid Pines/Pine Needles which are two of my favorites out there.   

No.8, No.2 and No.4 are all great.   Cradle is a blast ....! I assume they still have the drink trailer... "The Pine Cone"?  Last time we did a second loop after out round. Great to start there as it is quck and can get used to distances and wedge play.   After the second loop late in the afternoon we sat up by the trailer drinking with evyerone cheaering on others hitting to 9 or up to green 3.     There must have been 30 plus people sitting there drinking / cheering on others.  It keep growing to as people finished.  Great vibe to it. 

Dormie club is one the best in the area but now not viable for public play with it being in the Dormie Network group. 

Tabacco Road is a "trip" for sure. Though has gotten a bit out of whack price wise IMHO.  Played it 3-4 times but at the new rates, I would pass and play some of the others in the area.  TR is a course you have to play twice as some the holes the first time will mess you up. I just dont think it is worth the near $300 peak rate.   I think it is running $225 to $300 range year round now.  3 years ago (right after Covid) we played it in late March / first of April for like $140 a person.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Pinehurst is fantastic. So many great courses in the area.   

I have yet to play Southern Pines since the redo but hear it is as good as Mid Pines/Pine Needles which are two of my favorites out there.   

No.8, No.2 and No.4 are all great.   Cradle is a blast ....! I assume they still have the drink trailer... "The Pine Cone"?  Last time we did a second loop after out round. Great to start there as it is quck and can get used to distances and wedge play.   After the second loop late in the afternoon we sat up by the trailer drinking with evyerone cheaering on others hitting to 9 or up to green 3.     There must have been 30 plus people sitting there drinking / cheering on others.  It keep growing to as people finished.  Great vibe to it. 

Dormie club is one the best in the area but now not viable for public play with it being in the Dormie Network group. 

Tabacco Road is a "trip" for sure. Though has gotten a bit out of whack price wise IMHO.  Played it 3-4 times but at the new rates, I would pass and play some of the others in the area.  TR is a course you have to play twice as some the holes the first time will mess you up. I just dont think it is worth the near $300 peak rate.   I think it is running $225 to $300 range year round now.  3 years ago (right after Covid) we played it in late March / first of April for like $140 a person.  

Southern Pines is indeed amazing!  We've played it twice since the redo and love it. Would definitely play it again. Pine Needles is, I think, my favorite course out there. We did 36 there last year and played it a few other times as well, I'd be happy just to play there for a few days.

Pine Cone is definitely still there! I may have had a few cocktails there 🙂

I've heard Dormie Club is awesome but yeah, not sure I can get on there.  Oh well.  

We played Tobacco Road last year and I loved it.  My buddies were more in between on it. I'd love to play it a second time now that I would have more of a "feel" for it but you are right, at the cost it is now it's tough to justify. I could be talked into it though.  

55 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I still haven't made it out there. It will need to be added to the golf bucket list for sure. I think Pinehurst, Streamsong, Whistling Straights, Bethpage, and the Pebble area are the biggies on my list.

Been lucky to also have played Whistling a few times and it's beyond description.  Stupid expensive but worth playing once.  And the 3 other courses are also amazing and help even out the cost a little bit.  Streamsong and Bethpage are also on my list and want to get out there for sure.  Pebble for some reason is pretty low on my list of places I need to go.  

We're already planning for next year and I think we are doing Kiawah to play the Ocean Course plus whatever others we decide to play out there.  The main reason though is the Ocean Course, everything else is just extra.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Arizona National is always a great deal. Thanks for note on Sterling Grove. The big issue with these courses created by home developers is what happens when all the homes are built and the developer is done with it. Considering it is Toll Brothers I would guess it eventually goes private.

We heard that is the plan with the course from our friends that are members. They plan to take it private once they fill up at 400. Once that happens they will apparently also boot out all members that don't live in the community.

• Like 1

Tucson should be up there with Mesquite/St George for people in this area for winter/spring golf.  Both the Lowes Ventana Canyon Courses, Az National, Sewailo are all really good in the early spring.  We also played Starr Pass which I did not care for, but it was still plenty OK for the spring.  This is not an expensive getaway, either.  Thorns are the only downside if you get there before the rattlesnakes and heat come out.  I was impressed with the whole trip and we found a few good restaurants too.  Quick flight on Southwest with a tiny airport you can get in and out.  It is like Palm Springs for 1/3 of the money and a quicker flight.

If you go to Kiawah, play the Ocean Course twice.  Trust me.  The wind can really blow there and if you get a bad wind day, it can suck - was there once 50+ MPH and sand blowing in your eyes and ears.  On a calm day, the course is amazing.  Caddies were great.  Played one round a few days before they shut down for 2021 PGA and the stands were up, so lots of free drops on so-so shots.  Double up your chances of having a nice day by scheduling it twice - you have to stay on the island (at least we did) so pay a few extra bucks and play it again.  If you can find the fairway and can play a bit, the caddies will let you go all the way to the back tees and try the Rory drive and all of that fun stuff.  The Pointe courses are great too... the Turtle, Oak, Osprey and Cougar?  The Ocean Course is probably my favorite course that I have ever played - ironically the other Ocean Course on Paradise Island is my next favorite.

Doing Pebble/Spanish/Spy in May.  I think 2x each?  I really enjoy playing the good courses twice for some reason.  I am looking forward to this so much that I have exercised every day this year and even lost a few pounds.  Bought some left-dash balls to play at sea level - this usually makes up for any elevation gain for me.  Also got a rain coat.  I usually don't have time/inclination to plan ahead and prepare and stuff - just show up and go.  I am ignoring anybody who says that it is blah, but enough people say it that is blah that there is probably some truth to it.  Still... all-time course for me so I have to go at least once.  I shot 58 at least 100 times on Tiger Woods Golf at Pebble, right?

Anybody done Pumpkin Ridge and those courses?  Good friend has family up there and they say that it is amazing.  They are members and members love their courses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

Been lucky to also have played Whistling a few times and it's beyond description.  Stupid expensive but worth playing once.  And the 3 other courses are also amazing and help even out the cost a little bit.  Streamsong and Bethpage are also on my list and want to get out there for sure.  Pebble for some reason is pretty low on my list of places I need to go.  

We're already planning for next year and I think we are doing Kiawah to play the Ocean Course plus whatever others we decide to play out there.  The main reason though is the Ocean Course, everything else is just extra.  

Kiawah / Ocean course still do the fall / winter deal?  I did not look this year but it was a killer price when they did.

Edit: Looks like they stopped doing it a few years ago.  I should have went ......

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, jda said:

Anybody done Pumpkin Ridge and those courses?  Good friend has family up there and they say that it is amazing.  They are members and members love their courses.

We did a 5 day golf / bachelor party in Portland about 7-8 years ago, otherwise my Oregon golf has been limited to Bandon and one round in Bend.

Pumpkin Ridge (Ghost and Witch).    Maybe I went in with to much "hype" but I thought Ghost was a good course but walked off thinking it is over hyped.  Witch Hollow I thought was really nice and liked the routing/course way better. Everyone else thought both were great courses.  Nothing wrong with either of them at all and I would say they are worth playing once for sure.

Langdon Farms is worth the hype it gets IMHO.  Fantastic public track is well worth play.  Pretty tough in on the wrong tees too.  Funny when you drive by it next to the highway you think "Ummm it looks mehhh" but it is really good.   *Granted drving around the outside of Wildhorse we thought it looked "mehhhh" but is fantastic course so goes to show what we know  🤣

We also did The Reserve which has two courses, South and North Course.  South being more traditional and North being a manufactured dunes/links course.  They both were really good.  Good solid tracks, but not going to WOW you, but fun to play.   The one thing that really hit us when we pulled in is it might be the "largest" club house we have seen, more so it feels/looks  massive when you drive onto the property. 

• Like 2

My kid got a pretty sweet scholarship from U of A (still would've ended up costing more than CU), but she hated the campus, and the neighborhood around the school was pretty sketchy.

• Like 1

Brisket dog?  I had no idea such a thing existed.  I would have eaten one for sure.  Piazza Gavi was a dinner hit for all 20 guys, which is rare.  If we go again, I want to play/explore the airplane graveyard one afternoon...

I like towns with major universities.  They stay open later and usually have more fun things.  My worst complaint about Palm Springs is that at 8:00 everything starts to shut down.  This makes it hard to play 36 and have a nice meal without a drive through.  We have been there for golf, Mary B Nutter Div 1 Softball and a few other things... boring town after dark.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jda said:

Brisket dog?  I had no idea such a thing existed.  I would have eaten one for sure.

Only available at the snacks/drinks window at the starr pass golf club and not in the restaurant there. They stuff hot dog skins with a mix of brisket meat and regular hot dog in regular and spicy versions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dancin said:

Only available at the snacks/drinks window at the starr pass golf club and not in the restaurant there. They stuff hot dog skins with a mix of brisket meat and regular hot dog in regular and spicy versions.

Tucson is ON the schedule again.  I am going back just for this...  You know, people talk about layout, greens, scenery, bunkers, etc, but the food out of the window at the snack buildings should always be ranked much higher when people discuss their experiences on Golf Courses.  I am almost to the point where we don't really choose Goat Ranches anyway, so the food, travel in/out of the airport and stuff around the courses is a big deal to me.  

Edited by jda

38 minutes ago, jda said:

Tucson is ON the schedule again.  I am going back just for this...  You know, people talk about layout, greens, scenery, bunkers, etc, but the food out of the window at the snack buildings should always be ranked much higher when people discuss their experiences on Golf Courses.  I am almost to the point where we don't really choose Goat Ranches anyway, so the food, travel in/out of the airport and stuff around the courses is a big deal to me.  

Ha. It wasn't that amazing but it was unique tasting brisket meat in a hot dog. We stayed at the jw and played starr pass for 3 days in February and enjoyed it. The rattler/coyote 9s are a little better than the Palmer, but the Palmer has a couple fun shots. Only annoyance is they switched some of the holes between all 3 nines and the GPS systems haven't updated to get those changes yet. They have new owners running the hotel and golf club and have bumped up conditioning compared to previous years. The old owners had the palmer 9 as a freebie for hotel guests in the afternoon and conditioning was less on that one but now all 3 are similar. I liked the Starr pass courses better than Sewailo which is also really good, but I prefer the elevation changes you get at starr pass.

Another course we played this time was Quarry Pines. The back 9 holes in the quarry are excellent and unique, but next time I wouldn't do that as the first round on a trip. Very tight with lots of lost ball potential.

10 hours ago, jda said:

I agree but no amount of food can make up for that awful golf course. Their pure bermuda 9-hole course is 10x better and it's straight up walk-ons, lol.

*was walk-ons when we were there*           I'm not planning on going back

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Coupeguy23 said:

I will be out there if the snow melts, I'm on the 10:04 tee time.

Same, we are 9:10 I think.   I drove by a couple of days ago and looked like it would be melted by Saturday.  I am sure will be some standing water, for sure in the bunkers looking at the course but at least we are out playing...! 

• Like 1

Now that Kentucky is out of the tournament, my next three weekends are wide open.

What a bleepin' embarrassment. 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:47 PM, Coupeguy23 said:

I will be out there if the snow melts, I'm on the 10:04 tee time.

How you guys play?   Good time and nice to get out and play in a "half way" event to get rust off. 

Edt:   Golf Genius was not working right for me for some odd reason but we noticed they spelled my last name worng and wondering if that was the issue?  Hdcp was right though so not sure how my name was wrong  LOL

Edited by CDM

On 3/23/2024 at 7:09 PM, CDM said:

How you guys play?   Good time and nice to get out and play in a "half way" event to get rust off. 

Edt:   Golf Genius was not working right for me for some odd reason but we noticed they spelled my last name worng and wondering if that was the issue?  Hdcp was right though so not sure how my name was wrong  LOL

Most of the guys in the group played to their handicap or higher, our low capper threw up a bit of a stinker lol.

It is early season so to be expected, last i saw we were maybe 4th place? Haven't seen the email reply with finals yet...

Me on the other hand came out swinging! My cap before this was 16.7 but have been hitting the simulator hard this year all through the winter and its paying off!!! Went out and shot a 78, with 3 birdies and a proxy on a par 3. 

How about you guys? Them greens were fast and firm!

• Like 3