Las Vegas in late January

Headed to Vegas for my 50th birthday.  Have tickets to U2 at the Sphere and we are looking to get 18 in on Sunday 1/28.  I have looked at the SW forum but it not super active so posting here.

Looking to spend in the $200'ish range so Cascata and SC are out.  We have 3 low single digits and one guy who is a 15 and can spray it pretty well.  His miss off the tee is usually a hook left to right (lefty).  The 3 of us can play pretty much anywhere, but would like a course that will be fun for all.  This is not a golf trip but instead is a trip that has some golf if that make sense for any recommendations.    Currently have a placeholder tee time at Bali Hai.  I have heard mixed reviews but proximity is of course very convenient.   I know Paiute comes recommended but have also heard that the temp and wind can be tough in Jan.

Anyone been recently that can comment on conditions or have any other specific recommendations? 

Thanks!

First, enjoy the U2 show at the Sphere.  I saw it in October and it truly is mind blowing.  

The courses at Paiute are great, and priced at $260 - $290 depending on when you tee off.   Bali Hai is certainly more convenient, but it's a mediocre golf course.  Boulder Creek Golf Course is a 27 hole complex in Boulder City that's the same distance from the strip as Paiute (30 minutes in the opposite direction) and at $90 to $120 is a fantastic deal and very good golf course.  If you have a rental car and don't mind driving an hour from the strip, I'd suggest Coyote Springs Golf Club.  Just as good as the Paiute courses, and half the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Headed to Vegas for my 50th birthday.  Have tickets to U2 at the Sphere and we are looking to get 18 in on Sunday 1/28.  I have looked at the SW forum but it not super active so posting here.

Looking to spend in the $200'ish range so Cascata and SC are out.  We have 3 low single digits and one guy who is a 15 and can spray it pretty well.  His miss off the tee is usually a hook left to right (lefty).  The 3 of us can play pretty much anywhere, but would like a course that will be fun for all.  This is not a golf trip but instead is a trip that has some golf if that make sense for any recommendations.    Currently have a placeholder tee time at Bali Hai.  I have heard mixed reviews but proximity is of course very convenient.   I know Paiute comes recommended but have also heard that the temp and wind can be tough in Jan.

Anyone been recently that can comment on conditions or have any other specific recommendations? 

Thanks!

The SW forum is "not super active"?? Huh? It's the 2nd most active forum; and imo the most comprehensive.  But I digress.

For Jan, you are best to stay in Vegas and try TPC Vegas, Bears Best or Rio Secco.  Paiute is pretty gross this time of year - so you are really hoping you get a nice day.

39 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

The SW forum is "not super active"?? Huh? It's the 2nd most active forum; and imo the most comprehensive.  But I digress.

For Jan, you are best to stay in Vegas and try TPC Vegas, Bears Best or Rio Secco.  Paiute is pretty gross this time of year - so you are really hoping you get a nice day.

What I really meant was that since Vegas is such a destination, there will be lots folks who might not frequent the SW forum, but who have played out there.  Main forum might be a bigger draw for non-locals.

Besides Paiute, Reflection Bay might be a good one to look into. I’ve enjoyed both rounds I have played there on vacations to Vegas. It’s been a couple years so I can’t help with current conditions though. Honestly if you are only playing one round Bali Hai isn’t a bad choice. Obviously very convenient to the strip and while it’s not an architectural gem it’s still a fun course with good vibes. 

Edited by tips09
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Weather will be upper 50s lower 60s...hit or miss on the rain. Try to tee off around 11-1130a. My recs would be...

1. Rio Secco - fun course typically in great shape. It's no Cascata, Shadow or Southern Highlands but it's my favorite inexpensive course. 

2. Paiute Wolf - only second bc it is over $200 and the wind makes it feel much colder than the actual temp this time of year. 

3. TPC LV - always in good shape with big fairways and fast greens. It's a course you probably would only want to play once though. 

4. Bali Hai - decent track and on the strip. 

Wolf Creek and Conestoga would be high on this list but they are 90mins from the strip. 

• Like 1

For one course, one round and you want convenience its really hard to beat Bali Hai. Our group had a really fun time there and yes, when you are talking about the pain in the neck of traffic in Vegas and needing to rent a car - its is a *massive* plus to be able to take a cab there. The course is not hosting Ryder Cups any time soon but its still fun for a mid cap to play as well. 

Again I know "serious golfers" - whatever that even means these days - will bash Bali Hai but dont let that disuade you. If you're just going for one round and want convenience, its a great option.

Edited by dcmidnight

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

13 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

For one course, one round and you want convenience its really hard to beat Bali Hai. Our group had a really fun time there and yes, when you are talking about the pain in the neck of traffic in Vegas and needing to rent a car - its is a *massive* plus to be able to take a cab there. The course is not hosting Ryder Cups any time soon but its still fun for a mid cap to play as well. 

Again I know "serious golfers" - whatever that even means these days - will bash Bali Hai but dont let that disuade you. If you're just going for one round and want convenience, its a great option.

Was staying on the strip for work (Aug '23) and had some meetings cancelled, opened up about a 4.5 hour window for me so I decided to give Bali a try. Don't know if I just got lucky but the conditions were PURE. I played Pauite Wolf, Wolf Creek, and Angel Park Mountain later in that trip and BH was in the best shape by far. Pair that with the novelty of it being ON the strip and I think it's great for what it is. 

But yeah, it's under the flight path for LAS, so there's that...

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:28 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Heading out for a last minute trip first week in Feb and always check out Pauite if I have the time. When you say "gross" I assume you mean, cold(er than the strip), windy, etc? 

Was also thinking about checking out Boulder Creek and/or Reflection Bay. Haven't played RB since they reopened but liked it when I played there back in 2017ish.

1 hour ago, mannimal said:

Heading out for a last minute trip first week in Feb and always check out Pauite if I have the time. When you say "gross" I assume you mean, cold(er than the strip), windy, etc? 

Was also thinking about checking out Boulder Creek and/or Reflection Bay. Haven't played RB since they reopened but liked it when I played there back in 2017ish.

Yeah…bitter cold and biting wind.  Did it once and I will never again.  You really have to get lucky on the day.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Yeah…bitter cold and biting wind.  Did it once and I will never again.  You really have to get lucky on the day.  

Haha yeah, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I was out there a couple years back in early December and wanted to get 36 in out there. It was MISERABLE at the start (I want to say around 8AM) and never really got much better.

For anyone following, we ended up playing Paiute Wolf.  We already had a car so getting there was not an issue.  Weather was 71 and sunny.  Very slight breeze.  Teed off at 12:20 as a threesome.  Took about 4.5 hours and we had to wait on multiple groups in front of us.  

Conditions were great.  Fairways, greens, and even bunkers.  Course was perfect for my 16 index friend.  He only lost 2 balls and they were into the water on the island green on 15 and lake on 18.  He had 6 pars on the front which is great for him.

Price was $139 and overall we were very happy.  Is the course super memorable with top notch architecture?  No.  Was it a reasonably priced, fun, forgiving AND challenging place for 3 dudes to play as a side trip while in Vegas?  Absolutely.  Would both recommend and go again.

Edited by david.c.w
Spelling
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, sabram said:

I think it has some pretty memorable views and some very well designed golf holes. See e.g. #7, #6, #12 and #18 below to name a few

Las Vegas Paiute Wolf #8 par 3 don't miss right rev.jpg

Las Vegas Paiute Wolf #6 from tee rev.jpg

Las vegas Paiute Wolf #12 green looking back to tee rev.jpg

Las Vegas Paiute Wolf #18 tee rev.jpg

Let me rephrase.  Understand it is a Dye and there certainly challenge and well-designed holes.  Especially for a first timer that has no idea how far some of the bunkers are.  Thank goodness for rangefinders and GPS on the carts.  Perhaps it is just me, but there is only so much one can do with a flat piece of land.   Again, I would 100% play again.  I just did not walk away saying, "Wow, that course was amazing."  I walked away saying, "Wow, that was a great day."

• Like 1