2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

LPGA Hall of Fame

Still think in this era 27 points is too high a bar, but it is what it is for the time being.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

To join the LPGA Hall of Fame, the LPGA Tour requires that a golfer must have won at least one major championship, Vare Trophy (for low season scoring average) or Player of the Year Award. (Not one of each, just one from among those three achievements.) A previous requirement that a golfer must have LPGA Tour membership for a minimum of 10 years was dropped in 2022.

And the golfer must have accumulated 27 points, based on these criteria:

When a golfer reaches 27 points based on the criteria above, she becomes an LPGA Hall of Famer.

I think the decade of play being dropped was not the best decision. 

• Like 2

Not enough majors in the qualification criteria.

How can you be a great with only 2 majors? 5 held per year, play for 10 years and you have won 2 out of 50...pfft.

LPGA majors should be worth 3 or 4 points and maybe 4 major wins minimum to qualify. Also have an Olympic Gold worth/substitute for a major.

Bin the Vare 'trophy' as a points contributor, irrelevant what the scoring average is, it's about winning tournaments.

I like the points system but it is skewed currently to mediocrity.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Is Cristie Kerr a HOF? the points system would say no yet she has 20 LPGA wins, including 2 majors, 9 Solheim Cup appearances, 2 Int'l Crowns in an era of much tougher and globalized competition. 

I'd expect them to water down the criteria, at the current state of women's golf, it's likely impossible for any to reach the points threshold moving forward.  Lydia is a 1 of 1 special type of player. 

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Still think in this era 27 points is too high a bar, but it is what it is for the time being.

Wasn't the points threshold for entry higher at one time? 

Found it. Used to be 35 points.

In 1999, the LPGA created a Veterans Category for the express purpose of inducting Judy Rankin, Donna Caponi and Marlene Bauer Hagge. That year, the LPGA Hall of Fame reduced its previous point threshold of 35 to the current 27. Rankin, Caponi and Bauer had not met the 35-point threshold, but did have at least 27 points each. However, the Veterans Category option was discontinued thereafter and no longer exists.

https://www.golfcompendium.com/2019/02/lpga-hall-of-fame-points.html

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm already sick and tired of hearing about this...especially on the live broadcasts, every other sentence it seems...give it a rest and let it happen!!

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

4 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Not enough majors in the qualification criteria.

How can you be a great with only 2 majors? 5 held per year, play for 10 years and you have won 2 out of 50...pfft.

LPGA majors should be worth 3 or 4 points and maybe 4 major wins minimum to qualify. Also have an Olympic Gold worth/substitute for a major.

Bin the Vare 'trophy' as a points contributor, irrelevant what the scoring average is, it's about winning tournaments.

I like the points system but it is skewed currently to mediocrity.

Players are hanging it up at a younger age in this modern era. Anybody over 30 regularly on the leaderboard? I just don't see how four players in 20 years is rewarding mediocrity. 

Jin Young might get in if she stays healthy. Brooke maybe. Lexi probably not. We might see one or two players qualify in the next decade. I certainly don't see that as watered down. 

The game has gone international, and young. Unless a player can rack up 2+ wins a season for their first 5 to 7 years it's probably not going to happen. While the majors award an extra point, there seems to be plenty of players able to step up for a week and grab the trophy. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I think the HOF criteria is fine.  A while back no one thought even Lydia would make it (I said it was reasonably possible), and now it's basically expected (she's still not in yet).  I would put JYK in the same classification (as Lydia was earlier).  I don't think Brooke makes it (mentioned before) and Lexi has no chance (there are a handful of other players around Lexi's point total).

Assuming there are no changes to the ways to rack up points (not saying this is best but it simplifies the discussion), what would people change it to?  20 points?  That would put Laura Davies, Yani, and Kerr in while Lewis would be one point away (Laura Davies/Yani seem OK to me, Kerr and Lewis are borderline).  I would say there's a good chance Brooke ends up about where Kerr and Lewis are; that's a good one to discuss because Brooke is more current and emotional attachment may be higher (for some).

Part of the challenge of even defining what is HOF worthy is that most players rack up a lot of points in a 3-5 year stretch.  Compared to other sports, that's more of a hot streak than continued greatness.  Inbee and Lydia did rack up a lot of points in a short span, but they also won over a decade plus period.

Here is another interesting discussion and comparison as it relates to the HOF.  I think it was mentioned by someone close to the tour that Kerr was never really a dominant player (I'm trying to paraphrase what I recall being said - please correct if this is wrong).  Definitely a lot of wins over an extended period of time.  She'd be above a hypothetical 20 point threshold.  In contrast, Stacy Lewis would be a point short.  However, her play over 2012-2014 is likely better than any similar period for Kerr (and by better, I don't just mean the win total, but how one compared to the other top players on tour).

Brooke is highly regarded, but I would say even her best years (2016, 2022, and/or 2017-2019) were more like a solid Top 5 (or so) than the best or one of the best that was clearly a cut above the other top players on tour.

Still, my feeling is that many here would say she should probably get in (assuming she wins a few more times over a handful of years), as she was one of the best when she played?

• Like 1

If and when Lydia makes it into the HOF I think you have to put into context her amatuer results and all the world firsts she has achieved and the age she achieved them at along with the 27 points or more she may have by even this years end.  It's not just what she got HOF points for! You could have more criteria for points like 1 point for being RR#1 for every 100 weeks..... 

Edited by AKL Kiwi

7 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Is Cristie Kerr a HOF? the points system would say no yet she has 20 LPGA wins, including 2 majors, 9 Solheim Cup appearances, 2 Int'l Crowns in an era of much tougher and globalized competition. 

Not a huge Cristie fan, but yea I agree with this. She deserves it. Unfortunately Solheim and Int'l Crowns don't mean squat for obvious reasons.

I don't have the answers despite what some may think, but I do believe if the HOF would like new members from say 2010 to 2030 era they better lower their standards.

I agree with @Rapidcat on the Vare trophy, cancel that and add an extra point for a major win.

Edited by ChronicSlicer
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, LaterOn61 said:

Rapidcat makes my point. The points system is fine but Ochoa getting in at her age plus Ko, if she gets it soon, just feels watered down.

Ochoa wasn't admitted to the LPGA HOF until 2022 when the LPGA got rid of having to be on the LPGA for 10 years/seasons. Is being admitted at age 40 or 41 still too young for you? Ochoa should have been admitted the moment she earned the required 27 points. The 10 year rule was foolish. Inbee Park was inducted to the LPGA HOF at age 28. Guess Inbee getting in at that age watered down the LPGA HOF?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, grm24 said:

Ochoa wasn't admitted to the LPGA HOF until 2022 when the LPGA got rid of having to be on the LPGA for 10 years/seasons. Is being admitted at age 40 or 41 still too young for you? Ochoa should have been admitted the moment she earned the required 27 points. The 10 year rule was foolish. Inbee Park was inducted to the LPGA HOF at age 28. Guess Inbee getting in at that age watered down the LPGA HOF?

I think some guys need a lesson in biology....the window women have for optimal procreation and all that, the complexities and risks of pregnancies beyond 30, etc. Honestly, I knew nothing about it until I saw it with many of my friends. It's not always so easy and once women get into their 30s it's often a whole different ball-game. 

These women are as independent as any on earth and we're expecting them not to dictate the terms of their own family life? Yeah, right, LOL. 

We shouldn't be surprised when women who excel at a game based on planning and preparation are leaving at 28 to start families. It's the responsible thing to do. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

It's not always so easy and once women get into their 30s it's often a whole different ball-game. 

This may help:

Female Age-Related Fertility Decline

"The study found that pregnancy rates decreased progressively with increasing age of the recipient female patient 6. The cumulative pregnancy rate observed up to 12 insemination cycles was 74% for women younger than 31 years and decreased to 62% for women aged 31–35 years and to 54% for women older than 35 years 6."

• Like 1

I always assumed that sports where there was subjective entry into their hall, such as voting, had an associated waiting period in order to ensure some perspective, distance, context, in assessing someone's accomplishments (and perhaps due to the impact that time gap has on the composition of the group doing the voting and their history/link/view to that individual).  At first glance it wouldn't seem so necessary when there's an objective target.

• Like 3