2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Can someone help explain iron head weight to me?

JLP_GOLF

30 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

It seems like Srixon tip weights more than most brands?  I’m reading a lot on other threads how standard length shafts still get tip weighted

All OEM's have methods to adjust for variations due to manufacturing tolerances.  A few have come up with alternative methods but I would say the majority use tip weights.

Just now, Stuart_G said:

All OEM's have methods to adjust for variations due to manufacturing tolerances.  A few have come up with alternative methods but I would say the majority use tip weights.

Maybe I’ve just been coincidentally fortunate then.  Probably had 8-10 iron head sets across most OEMs over the last 5 years split between graphite and steel.  I’ve never seen any tip weights when pulling but more importantly, never had any trouble getting to D2/D3 with just a fraction of lead tape.  That’s what made me draw the assumption

TM 2024 BRNR Mini 11.5 Kai'li

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degree 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degree

T100 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Vokey SM10 50(f), 55(s), 60(m)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

5 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

My axioms are already cut so no room there and yes I play midsize.  The 6 iron I recall him saying was 242 grams 

Interesting and really surprising. That would be REALLY light. My ZX7 6 iron was 258 when I pulled them which is right in line with what Golfworks/Maltby measured at 257. I honestly think that number can't be right. 

Srixon head weights are a little on the lighter side but only a couple grams. They use tip weights like every other OEM depending on the build. This has measured 6 iron head weights for just about every OEM. Head MPF Ratings | The GolfWorks

My guess is a big part of this is the midsize grip 'tricking' the scale to look lighter SW and possibly the build is a quarter inch shorter than Srixon standard. Try to double check the head weights again. A 242g ZX7 6 iron head would look really weird and small. That's a lot of weight to lose from where it should be.

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

1 hour ago, PNW said:

Interesting and really surprising. That would be REALLY light. My ZX7 6 iron was 258 when I pulled them which is right in line with what Golfworks/Maltby measured at 257. I honestly think that number can't be right. 

Srixon head weights are a little on the lighter side but only a couple grams. They use tip weights like every other OEM depending on the build. This has measured 6 iron head weights for just about every OEM. Head MPF Ratings | The GolfWorks

My guess is a big part of this is the midsize grip 'tricking' the scale to look lighter SW and possibly the build is a quarter inch shorter than Srixon standard. Try to double check the head weights again. A 242g ZX7 6 iron head would look really weird and small. That's a lot of weight to lose from where it should be.

I can confirm today, i may have misheard.  when i go pick them up, he's giving me all the weights

17 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

So what do you suggest I do here?

Weigh the heads, and post the weights here.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 7 wood)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

@Ger21 got the weights back - thoughts?

He did elaborate some more when I spoke to him today he said that this head is just not a good fit specifically for the Axiom shaft and in steel it would be no problem.  Also said the hosel is shorter than most OEMs adding to the swing weight dilemma.  really want to make this combo work, as I've seen others with this set up so Im not really grasping why we can't do it

4- 244g

5-253 g

6- 259.5

7 - 265 g

8 - 273.5 g

9 - 282.5 g

pw 288.5 g

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:08 PM, JLP_GOLF said:

Recently purchased a set of zx7 heads to pair with my axiom 125’s.  My fitter just called and said the heads are super light and likely Srixon used tip weighting to make them playable.  He said without tip weights, the heaviest he could get them was c5 and recommended I pass on these. 

He didn’t explain why, but did say he couldn’t tip weight a graphite shaft.  Is that possible?  What are the implications of doing that. 

he said srixon is known for tip weighting and unless I know the specific weight of the heads I purchase, there’s a chance this will happen again.  He advised looking for pulled heads that were made for shorter length irons, thus heavier.  Thanks in advance 

Couple of things to note here.

1. " My fitter just called and said the heads are super light and likely Srixon used tip weighting to make them playable." Likely? Did he not look at the shaft tip to SEE if they used tip weights? It's pretty obvious if they did.

2. "He said without tip weights, the heaviest he could get them was c5 and recommended I pass on these." Has he even dry-fitted them? These shafts weigh around 130g raw and there is NO INFO anywhere saying they are counterbalanced. Most of the build reviews I have read say they SW pretty normal. So I'm wondering if a dry fitting has even been done. All his comments seem like speculation at most.

I would ask for them to be dry-fitted and SW'd with a split grip, while I watched, just to see where they fall. I personally use the rubber tungsten tip weights from Golfworks with all my builds and have no issues with them at all. You can also trim the head down so they don't affect shaft insertion as much.

EDIT: Just saw the last post and those weights look fine. Using mid-size grips makes clubs LOOK light on the scales, but when you swing them, they typically feel fine. I use Midsize grips and use MOI matching instead of SW because the antiquated scale isn't really designed to work with heavier grips AND/OR graphite shafts.

BT 

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

9 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

He did elaborate some more when I spoke to him today he said that this head is just not a good fit specifically for the Axiom shaft and in steel it would be no problem.  Also said the hosel is shorter than most OEMs adding to the swing weight dilemma.  really want to make this combo work, as I've seen others with this set up so Im not really grasping why we can't do it

4- 244g

5-253 g

6- 259.5

7 - 265 g

8 - 273.5 g

9 - 282.5 g

pw 288.5 g

I'm just a hobbyist with only a few iron builds under my belt but I have to say that those weights look fairly normal to me.  Have you thought about purchasing a sw scale and some basic tools and doing this yourself?  The people on this forum are a great help.

• Like 1

Bag is in flux

Those weights looks relatively normal to me...nothing abnormal about them.  Only guessing there is some counterbalancing involved with those shafts?  No idea as I have zero experience with them.  Looks like they are also .370s which means hand tapering or reaming hosels.

I can see a number of spots where some extra effort needs to be made to assemble these....but I'm kinda getting the vibe that the builder just doesn't wanna undertake the job....for whatever reason that might be.  Building to a specific SW might be above the task, but building to a spec ignoring the grip influence probably is.  I just get the feeling that the combination of the build and the builder is not going to work in this case.

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Find a new builder. The head weights are spot on with ZX7s and any forged head for that matter. There's no reason these can't be built to your spec. It's just tapering the tips and adding 2g tip weights where necessary (Axioms accept graphite shaft tip weights, no problem). 

The one complexity you will want to check is shaft length and if they were pre-cut already a little too short. 

If he proceeds with building them, screws it up, then pulls the I-told-you-so then you're SOL. This is not a cheap build with those shafts. 

Edited by PNW
  • Like 2

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

definitely agree - a called another builder for a second opinion and I'm now leaning more so on the side of he just didn't want to take the task on.  what a shame

• Like 1

Poor B weight heads always the scapegoat in these swingweight threads.  Can we put the ole B weight heads urban legend to bed yet. It’s rarely the case for modern iron heads. Most manufacturers aren’t spending the time and money to make a lighter head just for rare builds. 
The real issue is when you start tearing irons apart and building with different shafts and other parts  the swingweights are going to be off. Sometimes by a lot and sometimes a little. There are only so many really good builders that can handle it and even sometimes they just can’t get to the exact swingweight a customer wants. 

Agree wit the others that these head weights are pretty standard and a competent builder should be able to hit your specs without any drastic measures. I would suggest building to a sw value of the club that you determine is best for you with the grip you prefer. Then build out your set by matching the un gripped swing weight of that club and ignoring what the gripped value ends up being.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

15 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

He did elaborate some more when I spoke to him today he said that this head is just not a good fit specifically for the Axiom shaft and in steel it would be no problem. 

He wrong.  Likely just doesn't have a lot of experience with graphite shafts to be comfortable using tip weights in them.  

But there is something else going on here if the swing weights were really as low as he was first saying.  Those head weights are perfectly fine.

You said the shafts were already cut, did you buy the shafts used?

If so, were they inspected for extensions or butt weights under the grips?

Even if they were not used but pre-cut - did the builder verify that you'd be getting the correct playing length with them in the new head?    They may have ended up being shorter than standard length.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

He wrong.  Likely just doesn't have a lot of experience with graphite shafts to be comfortable using tip weights in them.  

But there is something else going on here if the swing weights were really as low as he was first saying.  Those head weights are perfectly fine.

You said the shafts were already cut, did you buy the shafts used?

If so, were they inspected for extensions or butt weights under the grips?

Even if they were not used but pre-cut - did the builder verify that you'd be getting the correct playing length with them in the new head?    They may have ended up being shorter than standard length.

I order the shafts from grip for less and they were uncut.  My fitter matched them to my set at the time for length.  If anything I think they were standard or a hair longer.  I can measure the 6 iron today tho

• Like 1