CTX vs ‘24 BX vs ‘22 BX review.

hammergolf

That's cool to hear. I was a tester for the B-XS and CTx and i absolutely loved the CTx with my long clubs. Incredible launch conditions for me (i need more height and spin to maximize driving irons and 3 woods)

Glad to hear the short game performance has been so good too. I think it will likely be my ball in 2024

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

That's cool to hear. I was a tester for the B-XS and CTx and i absolutely loved the CTx with my long clubs. Incredible launch conditions for me (i need more height and spin to maximize driving irons and 3 woods)

Glad to hear the short game performance has been so good too. I think it will likely be my ball in 2024

If the CTX is as good as the ‘22 BX in the long game, and irons for me it will be my new ball as well. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

5 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

If the CTX is as good as the ‘22 BX in the long game, and irons for me it will be my new ball as well. 

I've hit probably 1000+ balls with it on the Trackman so far. Maybe more than that. I'm 105mph with driver but i'm hilariously low spin (2200rpm with mid spin shafts with driver, and i'm lucky to be much over 5000 with 7 irons)

So a major factor for me is height and launch. I don't see a huge difference in the 5-9 iron type clubs regardless of ball. 

But with my driving iron and 3 wood, i am a degree higher launch and 200-300rpm more spin with the CTx then almost any other ball (2024 TP5 is also very good).

With my 3 wood, which is the club i struggle with launch the most with (11-12 degrees, <2400 spin) ---I've hit many of the 2023 and 2024 balls, probably 500+ shots just with 3 wood. And my 10+ longest are all with the CTx

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

7 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

This excites me! Maybe the ctx version s the ball that is between the bX and bXS!!

will be trying it early part of next week. 

Feel and spin wise I would say the CTX fits exactly between the BX and BXS but may be even longer than either.

Posted (edited)

Just got home after another practice session. I’m even more impressed with the short game performance of the CTX! It’s an absolute weapon inside 65yds. Simply put, it just stops quicker on pitches than any other ball I’ve played. Closest comparison I can make is that it spins a touch more than the BXS but has a bit of a firmer feel. My stock 65yd shot is usually a hop and stop on well struck shots. With the CTX it was hop, stop, and spin back. I’ll have to see if it’s too much spin on fuller wedge shots, but at worst, I’ll be able to play a softer shot with a less lofted wedge but still have plenty of stopping power. Supposed to be nice again tomorrow so I’m going to try and get out and test it in the long game, but so far I’m very impressed with that Callaway has been able to do with this ball.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 2:23 PM, hammergolf said:

Finally had a chance to get out and test these 3 balls inside 70yds at my practice area. For reference, my current ball is the ‘22 BX. 

CHIPPING

The three balls had very similar results but there was a difference in feel. The ‘22 BX is the firmest, then the ‘24 BX, and the CTX being the softest. The CTX may have had a touch more grab, but one very strange thing I did notice. It’s dormant up here in the STL area so there is some dead grass in the fwy cut. For some reason, the CTX was having the dead grass stick to it almost like you would see a ball lick up sand on punched greens. Maybe it has a coating similar to the Srixon balls, but not sure. Just found it strange that the dry dead grass would stick to the CTX but not the BX balls.

PITCHING

This one of my std tests when I’m testing wedges or balls. This is a 15yd pitch, where it’s 10yds of rough then 5yds of green. I use my 60* and carry the ball on the green but try to stop it just short of the flag. This is where I started to see a difference between the balls. The ‘22 BX and ‘24 BX results were very similar, however I could feel the ‘24 is a touch softer though. The CTX felt really good for my preferences and had more spin and stopped quicker by a couple feet on average.

40YD PITCH

This is another standard test I use. This is a 40yd pitch with 35yds of rough then 5yds of green. Again I use my 60* and carry the ball just on the green and stop it around the hole. Once again, besides the slightly softer feel of the ‘24 BX both balls performed great. Generally stopping quickly around the pin. The CTX however, was stopping quite a bit quicker with all of them stopping short of the pin. At this point I was VERY impressed with the CTX

65YD PITCH

This is my go to shot and preferred yardage on the course. With the ‘22 BX is expect to carry my shot around 61-63yds, hop and then stop around 65yds. With the ‘24 BX it did stop around a yard quicker. OMG, the CTX spun more on this shot than any I’ve tried before. Not only did it stop quicker, but there were a few spots that actually spun back a little. REALLY IMPRESSED with the short game performance of the CTX! 

DURABILITY 

This isn’t the most important thing for me, but all the balls help up pretty well. Nothing more than a groove scuff here and there.

Based on feel and performance in the short game, I would switch to the CTX right now. Hopefully I’ll get out tomorrow and do some more testing, but can’t say enough good things about the CTX.

I haven’t got my hands on the CTX yet, but the 24 CT and BX are way less durable than the ProV1 for me.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

How has the durability been with the CTX & '24 BX?

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

52 minutes ago, Drewhill44 said:

How has the durability been with the CTX & '24 BX?

I haven’t noticed any durability issue on either model. 

• Thanks 1

Just small quip to add.....tried putting and chipping with glide 4.0 60T with CT , 24 BX , 22 BX , 23 Prov1 and VICE PRO PLUS.....

Really short session but man does the CT feel amazing!!! I think for my needs I have to tried the CTX but only the 24 BX came close to the responsiveness that the CT gave.....more to follow 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SwooshLT said:

Just small quip to add.....tried putting and chipping with glide 4.0 60T with CT , 24 BX , 22 BX , 23 Prov1 and VICE PRO PLUS.....

Really short session but man does the CT feel amazing!!! I think for my needs I have to tried the CTX but only the 24 BX came close to the responsiveness that the CT gave.....more to follow 

It’s been a long time since I’ve been this impressed with a golf ball. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

I took CT, CTX and 24TP5X out for a short game sesh today and I saw great things out of CT.  No it didn't quite have the grab of CTX but it wasn't far off.  It feels great though.   I preferred the CT feel over TP5X for sure.  These are all very good golf balls.  Is this there year of the ball?  After today, we are down to CT vs CTX.  I'm going to pick and stick this week as I've got a big tournament coming up.  Last thing will be bringing Full Swing LM out on the course. 

• Like 3

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Awesome comparison. Thank you!

Driver - TaylorMade Sim 2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70

3 Wood - TaylorMade '17 M1 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80

3 UI - Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 19* w/ True Temper XP 115

Irons - Srixon Z-785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50/12* + SM7 54/14* + SM8 58/12*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X Yellow 

Taking advantage of the good weather up here and got out again today to play a few holes. Wasn’t as windy today but tested the 3 balls I narrowed it down to: ‘22 BX, ‘24 BX, CTX. After hitting them side by side with my driver, 3wd, hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron, and full GW I’ve eliminated the ‘22 BX. The CTX and ‘24 BX are both really good for me. Both have advantages over the other so I’m still not ready to decide. Off the driver and 3wd they are practically the same. If it was downwind, the BX went further since it has a slightly higher peak height. Into the wind the CTX went further since it has a slightly flatter flight. In crosswind the ‘24 BX is basically impervious to moving. The CTX is also good in a crosswind, but the BX balls have always excelled in this department. With my hybrid once again the ‘24 BX had a higher peak and stopped a few feet quicker. Same thing with the 6 iron, touch higher peak with the BX but the CTX spins more so stopping power was equal. Off the 9 iron, the CTX stopped quicker and clearly spun more. Carry distance was the same. With full shots with my GW, once again the CTX stopped quicker even though the flight was slightly flatter. As far as feel the CTX may be slightly softer feeling but it’s very close. Basically the BX is better for my long game, and I prefer the CTX inside 140yds. I don’t think I can make a bad decision with either, but will keep testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As soon as we get some BX balls down here, I'm going to give them another shot.  Plus, this mindset thing is kind of a cool idea to try out.

37 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Taking advantage of the good weather up here and got out again today to play a few holes. Wasn’t as windy today but tested the 3 balls I narrowed it down to: ‘22 BX, ‘24 BX, CTX. After hitting them side by side with my driver, 3wd, hybrid, 6 iron, 9 iron, and full GW I’ve eliminated the ‘22 BX. The CTX and ‘24 BX are both really good for me. Both have advantages over the other so I’m still not ready to decide. Off the driver and 3wd they are practically the same. If it was downwind, the BX went further since it has a slightly higher peak height. Into the wind the CTX went further since it has a slightly flatter flight. In crosswind the ‘24 BX is basically impervious to moving. The CTX is also good in a crosswind, but the BX balls have always excelled in this department. With my hybrid once again the ‘24 BX had a higher peak and stopped a few feet quicker. Same thing with the 6 iron, touch higher peak with the BX but the CTX spins more so stopping power was equal. Off the 9 iron, the CTX stopped quicker and clearly spun more. Carry distance was the same. With full shots with my GW, once again the CTX stopped quicker even though the flight was slightly flatter. As far as feel the CTX may be slightly softer feeling but it’s very close. Basically the BX is better for my long game, and I prefer the CTX inside 140yds. I don’t think I can make a bad decision with either, but will keep testing.

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

5 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

As soon as we get some BX balls down here, I'm going to give them another shot.  Plus, this mindset thing is kind of a cool idea to try out.

5 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I think I could play either one honesty since the differences are so small. It’s just going to be a matter of whether the BX edge in the long game is more advantageous than the CTX edge in the short game. I’m excited to play either one.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:57 PM, SwooshLT said:

So had another very short session chipping again .....this time I had a sleeve of CTX and a 23' proV1x .....along with 24 BX , these came down as the leaders .....due to time constraints and health issues,  I haven't played in nearly a month !!!  Hoping to get out somewhere Saturday for first chance to see on course  .....stay tuned 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

So had another very short session chipping again .....this time I had a sleeve of CTX and a 23' proV1x .....along with 24 BX , these came down as the leaders .....due to time constraints and health issues,  I haven't played in nearly a month !!!  Hoping to get out somewhere Saturday for first chance to see on course  .....stay tuned 

Full transparency,  my first round in a month and also trying /fell in love with new Driver shaft!!! 😍  (Diamana ZF) 

So both new Callaway balls FEEL amazing/intoxicating to the point of WANTING to work through the bag .... 

At my speed and needs the CTX flew slightly lower than desired but spun appropriately.....CT is similar to ProV1 and doesn't offer enough spin ....

Forgot to try 24' TP5 darn it 

The 24' BX works but not impressed by sound/feel component..... 

I'll attempt another round or so with CTX but I think my golf ball will remain VICE PRO PLUS!! Flies in correct window,  holds line like B'stone and although not as good a feeling ball as new Chrome balls, definitely not as audibly loud/clicky as B'stone.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sheppick.dan said:

@hammergolf did you try the CT?

I was pretty set on CTX but CT is gaining on feel and not far behind. 

I didn’t try it. I need spin so it wouldn’t be a good option for me.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 4:50 PM, hammergolf said:

Thanks for this. Was gonna post about what ball to play. Maybe I stick it out with the bx for now. Have a sleeve of tp5x but I feel I may need some spin. Also super tempted by the left dash deal currently. A ball I’ve hit before and loved the distance but not much else. I just need to commit and stop pondering what if. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

12 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Thanks for this. Was gonna post about what ball to play. Maybe I stick it out with the bx for now. Have a sleeve of tp5x but I feel I may need some spin. Also super tempted by the left dash deal currently. A ball I’ve hit before and loved the distance but not much else. I just need to commit and stop pondering what if. 

You and me both.  "OOH I think I'll play this in my match today so I can bomb it around" "OOH its windy, I'll play this ball"

Pick and stick!

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

39 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

You and me both.  "OOH I think I'll play this in my match today so I can bomb it around" "OOH its windy, I'll play this ball"

Pick and stick!

That’s my biggest issue. I don’t play all that much so I need to stick with 1 ball so I’m not guessing what to do and how it will react. Now that I have set up at work and my launch monitor I will hopefully practice more often which will make it easier when I do play!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Pick and stick!

For sure! I may just stick bx because I like it where it counts on and around the green. Just need to live with not quite optimal distance. Great wind ball though. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Was able to get out again today. Another good day to test golf balls with the normal spring wind blowing around 15mph. Once again it was the usual suspects, ‘22BX, ‘24BX, and CTX. The more I test, the more I’m liking the CTX. No doubt the BX balls are slightly better in the wind and slightly longer by a few yards. However, for me the CTX is the best of the bunch with the irons, wedges, and around the greens for me. I also prefer the feel of the ‘24BX and CTX over the ‘22BX. I haven’t got on a launch monitor yet, but to my eyes the CTX is spinning a little more through the bag compared to the BX balls, but certainly not so much to hurt performance or control. Lots of golf this weekend. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

• hammergolf changed the title to CTX vs ‘24 BX vs ‘22 BX review.