The Old Course - New Process for Single Golfers

1 hour ago, srs06d said:

Just an FYI for those with upcoming trips to St. Andrews hoping to secure a TOC time as a single. The days of overnight camping are no more...https://standrews.com/articles/old_course_singles_daily_draw_news_article

This is akin to what happened at Augusta when the Masters went from writing a yearly letter requiring some effort to apply for tickets to the online system. I would imagine a new cottage industry will pop up in St Andrews where a few locals will apply and sell won times daily.

Sad day…. So many great stories from those who made the pilgrimage and camped out.Β 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 RegΒ 
Ping G425Β 7wd @ -1Β Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ FlatΒ setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2Β 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7 Β 33” Rosemark grip

Β 

7 minutes ago, Sean30114 said:

will apply every day.

Hopefully the golf gods and/or karma sort out people that get a time and continue to enter everyday in hopes of having their cake and eating it too. Sad to see the old process of meritocracy go but alas that is today's world. Long gone are the days of wanting something so bad you actually had to make some sacrifices for it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, srs06d said:

Hopefully the golf gods and/or karma sort out people that get a time and continue to enter everyday in hopes of having their cake and eating it too. Sad to see the old process of meritocracy go but alas that is today's world. Long gone are the days of wanting something so bad you actually had to make some sacrifices for it.

Β 

What's worse is that the new system is going to be even more competitive for golfers whoΒ reallyΒ want it. Β There were never any guarantees, but this was as close to one as possible for those who were willing to work for it. Β It separated the seriously committed from the fair-weatherers. Β There's a solid percentage of the golfing community who would have played it as a single but weren't willing to do the queue. Β Now they'll all be flooding the system and it will be more of a crapshoot than ever.

Β 

I'm going out for the first time in July, and I'm gutted over this news. Β There was never any doubt about my doing the queue - all night if necessary - and I was at least naively optimistic about my chances. Β But now I'm not feeling so good about it.

• Like 3

Leave it to the golfing community to get upset over not being able to queue up outside for 16 hours beforeΒ maybeΒ being able to play a round. Probably brought to you by the same boomers who get us $3 fitness bands repurposed as a $300 "training aid" and golf ball rollbacks.Β 

Β 

Get with the times, grandpa.

Edited by Celeras
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

TitleistΒ TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

MizunoΒ T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

Another lottery I can lose, just like the Masters.

Β 

Thankfully I've already played the Old Course.

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland ZipcoreΒ 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-SΒ 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

5 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Β 

What's worse is that the new system is going to be even more competitive for golfers whoΒ reallyΒ want it. Β There were never any guarantees, but this was as close to one as possible for those who were willing to work for it. Β It separated the seriously committed from the fair-weatherers. Β There's a solid percentage of the golfing community who would have played it as a single but weren't willing to do the queue. Β Now they'll all be flooding the system and it will be more of a crapshoot than ever.

Β 

I'm going out for the first time in July, and I'm gutted over this news. Β There was never any doubt about my doing the queue - all night if necessary - and I was at least naively optimistic about my chances. Β But now I'm not feeling so good about it.

An end of an era, I agree with you 10000% I was able to play the OC everyday I was there. I knew that if I wanted it enough, I could get on. Back in 2011 the line up started at 2am. Best of luck on getting to play the OC - Karma is on your side πŸ™‚

• Like 3

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60gΒ 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZΒ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120Β 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch)Β 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

7 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Β 

Β 

I’m with you. We were planning on going the first night at 10pm and earlier the next if needed. Very upsetting to hear.Β 

• Like 1

are they really doing away with the overnight que line altogether ?? this new singles lottery is not 1st come 1st serve. so if overnight que is abolished completely then a single getting shut out completely the whole time there is a veryΒ  likely possibility.Β 

Β 

this is gut wrenching if 100% true

• Like 2

A single could have been shut out with the que system as well. I didn’t get on twice. Although, I didn’t camp out at 6pm the night before πŸ™„. I did play last summer with a guy who qued on. By the back 9 the poor fella was useless.Β 
Β 

I wonder if some problems happened to push the Links Trust into modernisation?Β 
Β 

As an aside, I know a few guys who are planning to cue for the final night of cueing just because it’s the final night.

1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

A single could have been shut out with the que system as well. I didn’t get on twice. Although, I didn’t camp out at 6pm the night before πŸ™„. I did play last summer with a guy who qued on. By the back 9 the poor fella was useless.Β 
Β 

I wonder if some problems happened to push the Links Trust into modernisation?Β 
Β 

As an aside, I know a few guys who are planning to cue for the final night of cueing just because it’s the final night.

whats that date for the final night? if you do know.Β 

Can anyone come up with a percentage of the chance to getting picked in the singles lottery each day the 3rd week of May? id guess it gravely low

as someone whose sole purpose of going to St.Andrews was to play TOC at least once via the walkup que as the last resort if necessary i ask anyone is it still worth it?Β Β 

1 minute ago, flognut said:

Can anyone come up with a percentage of the chance to getting picked in the singles lottery each day the 3rd week of May? id guess it gravely low

as someone whose sole purpose of going to St.Andrews was to play TOC at least once via the walkup que as the last resort if necessary i ask anyone is it still worth it?Β Β 

Β 

Have you checked out Ballot buddy? It will pair you up with someone that is over there at the same time so you can enter the twosome ballot. I think it was like 10 bucks or something.

3 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

Β 

Have you checked out Ballot buddy? It will pair you up with someone that is over there at the same time so you can enter the twosome ballot. I think it was like 10 bucks or something.

yes. already signed up for that and paired with 3 others. seems like we enter as a foursome which seems even far less likely to get picked.Β  i cant see there being any open foursomes at any time or any day ever. maybe they break us into twosomes? anyway, i thought this was pot luck anyway also. i totally had the mindset i would have to do the walkup que line to get on one day during my stay. with that out the window it seems slim to none now

49 minutes ago, flognut said:

yes. already signed up for that and paired with 3 others. seems like we enter as a foursome which seems even far less likely to get picked.Β  i cant see there being any open foursomes at any time or any day ever. maybe they break us into twosomes? anyway, i thought this was pot luck anyway also. i totally had the mindset i would have to do the walkup que line to get on one day during my stay. with that out the window it seems slim to none now

Β Very much. When are you going?

1 hour ago, shankasaurus rex said:

I'm guessing all the "lesser" courses that managed to stay open because of the growth of the game disagree with your little rant.Β 

Can't get a tee time where I live.Β  All the people who formerly had no life golf.Β  They don't replace divots of fix ball marks.Β  Pace of play has never been worse.Β  The USGA should educate them on these things.Β  It will all be corrected though in the next downturn though.Β  It's coming.

Β 

Edited by StoutKing

I feel so bad for everyone who has made plans and spent the money to plan a trip only to have the opportunity to play TOC taken away from them. I think this decision is actually going to backfire on them because people will not be as inclined to schedule a trip if it’s a coin toss on whether they get to play TOC. I’ve sent them an email expressing my thoughts and how unfair it is to make this change now with such short notice. I mean there are so many other solutions, but taking away one of the greatest traditions is not the answer. Hopefully they get enough negative feedback that they change their position like they did with the artificial turf by the Swilkin Bridge.

• Like 4

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 RegΒ 
Ping G425Β 7wd @ -1Β Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ FlatΒ setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2Β 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7 Β 33” Rosemark grip

Β