Team California (but only if you are from Socal).

The new United States National Development Program has now launched state based teams in a few states.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/usndp-home-page/aga-program-usndp.html

Interestingly, Team California is LITERALLY only for kids who live in Southern California. See FAQ

https://newfrontier.scga.org/team-cal

Do you need to be a California resident to be part of Team California?

Yes. Only players who are Southern California residents and members of the SCGA, SDJGA or the SCPGA are eligible for Team California. 

The purpose of these teams?

“This first of its kind state team program will serve as a critical part of the talent identification pathway for the USNDP and provide more opportunities for a diverse population of athletes to receive resources and guidance to compete at the highest levels of the game,” said Heather Daly-Donofrio, USGA managing director, Player Relations and Development.

image.png.e9f1857c30e2d6a23e487a44d8008273.png

But none of the above if you live in Northern California.😶😁

Edited by Tugu

1 hour ago, Tugu said:

The new United States National Development Program has now launched state based teams in a few states.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/usndp-home-page/aga-program-usndp.html

Interestingly, Team California is LITERALLY only for kids who live in Southern California. See FAQ

Do you need to be a California resident to be part of Team California?

Yes. Only players who are Southern California residents and members of the SCGA, SDJGA or the SCPGA are eligible for Team California. 

The purpose of these teams?

“This first of its kind state team program will serve as a critical part of the talent identification pathway for the USNDP and provide more opportunities for a diverse population of athletes to receive resources and guidance to compete at the highest levels of the game,” said Heather Daly-Donofrio, USGA managing director, Player Relations and Development.

image.png.e9f1857c30e2d6a23e487a44d8008273.png

But none of the above if you live in Northern California.😶😁

Wow - anyone have insights to the logic?

This reminds me of IMG World giving 15-20 exemption spots to SoCal junior HS golfers - and only 4 spots via qualifies among 100+ field per match for the entire Northern California area. 

1 hour ago, golferdad8 said:

Wow - anyone have insights to the logic?

This reminds me of IMG World giving 15-20 exemption spots to SoCal junior HS golfers - and only 4 spots via qualifies among 100+ field per match for the entire Northern California area.

See why I don't get fired up about JGS rankings suggesting some kid is X strokes better per round? Or WAGR disenfranchised 30 odd kids? Stuff like this happens literally ALL the time in junior golf. I've personally experienced it overseas as well.

A Norcal kid can't even be willing to travel to Socal events or qualify via strong finishes in listed events. Only those in Socal can be Team California.

• Like 1

This will kill junior golf as we know it.   The focus will change from playing the best field to getting on a state team.

Everything will have the same players playing each other all the time.  

I guess you can be happy that there will be a set schedule of local events and no long have to worry about unfair rankings anymore.

Chill man.  Did you even read the full post from the USGA?  This is clearly the first roll out and they expect to have all states by 2033.  They called the team California (Southern), which is a a clear give away that they will have another team called California (Northern).     No need to get bent out of shape, golfers in NorCal will get an opportunity as well.   As to some of the other posts about this destroying jr golf..is way beyond me. 

The USGA is creating a state team pilot program that will expand the pipeline for elite junior golfers into the recently created U.S. National Development Program. Seven states will participate in the initial phase with the goal of all states having a team by 2033. The first seven participants are California (Southern), Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Ohio and Tennessee. The program will come to fruition through close collaboration between the USGA, its allied golf associations, the PGA of America and relevant state junior programs. The state committees will oversee team selection criteria and the operation of the state program based on guidelines provided by the USGA. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, kcap said:

Chill man.  Did you even read the full post from the USGA?  This is clearly the first roll out and they expect to have all states by 2033.  They called the team California (Southern), which is a a clear give away that they will have another team called California (Northern).     No need to get bent out of shape, golfers in NorCal will get an opportunity as well.   As to some of the other posts about this destroying jr golf..is way beyond me. 

The USGA is creating a state team pilot program that will expand the pipeline for elite junior golfers into the recently created U.S. National Development Program. Seven states will participate in the initial phase with the goal of all states having a team by 2033. The first seven participants are California (Southern), Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Ohio and Tennessee. The program will come to fruition through close collaboration between the USGA, its allied golf associations, the PGA of America and relevant state junior programs. The state committees will oversee team selection criteria and the operation of the state program based on guidelines provided by the USGA. 

Dunno about junior golf being destroyed, but I'm "reasonably" certain that the word "SOUTHERN" in brackets is newly inserted since I read the original post. The giveaway is in the press release by SCPGA which uses the term TEAM CALIFORNIA, sans the word SOUTHERN.

Whichever way, if they deem it Team Southern California and the kids of Northern California will have their own, consider me placated. Though a wait of upto 9 years means some kids do not get access to benefits others do because of factors not based around merit ie. geography. It shouldn't come as a surprise that in life some are born into more fortunate situations than others. I'm not here to rid the world of inequality. It is what it is.

Edited by Tugu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kcap said:

My comments about above was more about how it will change the current way everyone approaches junior golf.

When I read the USGA press release it appears they want a clear path to national golf.

I assume  every state will have national teams and the 9 year timespan is for small states without much golf.

These state teams will actually qualify for the biggest events.  It will make it harder to get into certain events for sure.

No one should be worried they will not have access to qualify on a state team in the next year or two.

It also appears that there are only certain events that will count toward kids qualifying for those teams.  If that true this will mean most juniors will have must play events at their local state level.

The whole system is going to discourage traveling a lot.  That will be good in some cases but you’re basically going to playing with the same kids in your area.

If your kid is a 2025 or 2026 this isn’t going to matter. However since there is talk about allied organizations my guess is we will see more emphases at the local level for younger kids.

Edited by jayslaysongolf

1 hour ago, Tugu said:

Dunno about junior golf being destroyed, but I'm "reasonably" certain that the word "SOUTHERN" in brackets is newly inserted since I read the original post. The giveaway is in the press release by SCPGA which uses the term TEAM CALIFORNIA, sans the word SOUTHERN.

Whichever way, if they deem it Team Southern California and the kids of Northern California will have their own, consider me placated. Though a wait of upto 9 years means some kids do not get access to benefits others do because of factors not based around merit ie. geography. It shouldn't come as a surprise that in life some are born into more fortunate situations than others. I'm not here to rid the world of inequality. It is what it is.

"Beginning in Southern California, the Southern California Golf Association (SCGA), the Southern California PGA (SCPGA) and the San Diego Junior Golf Association (SDJGA) are launching a golf team (Team California) that will expand the pipeline for elite local golfers into the recently created U.S. National Development Program (USNDP), a new initiative launched by the United States Golf Association (USGA). The SCGA is one of seven Allied Golf Associations (AGA) that will participate in the initial phase of the state team pilot program in 2024. While Southern California is taking the lead, we expect our Northern California partners will soon join to create a true, comprehensive statewide force.  "

From the website.  And not sure which press release you talking about.  Rest  assured a as team from Northern CAL will join force soon.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jayslaysongolf said:

The USGA most likely tasked the director of SDJGA with coming up with a list of events and they chose it.

It is what it is and I wouldn’t read into anything beyond that.

I cant be bothered finding it, but there was some mention somewhere of a committee comprising of the various golf associations.

1 hour ago, kcap said:

"Beginning in Southern California, the Southern California Golf Association (SCGA), the Southern California PGA (SCPGA) and the San Diego Junior Golf Association (SDJGA) are launching a golf team (Team California) that will expand the pipeline for elite local golfers into the recently created U.S. National Development Program (USNDP), a new initiative launched by the United States Golf Association (USGA). The SCGA is one of seven Allied Golf Associations (AGA) that will participate in the initial phase of the state team pilot program in 2024. While Southern California is taking the lead, we expect our Northern California partners will soon join to create a true, comprehensive statewide force.  "

From the website.  And not sure which press release you talking about.  Rest  assured a as team from Northern CAL will join force soon.  

The one you quote from states TEAM CALIFORNIA, excluding the word SOUTHERN. If you scroll down to the FAQ, The term TEAM CALIFORNIA is referenced in every single question without the term SOUTHERN appearing even once. Nor is there any continued clarification that it's a Southern California only team.

Like I said previously, if they called it Team California (Southern), then I'm already placated. Meaning when people promote their achievements, its a true reflection of what said achievement actually is. 

I can live with the added benefits they get, even if it's not based solely on merit.

Edited by Tugu

1 hour ago, jayslaysongolf said:

My comments about above was more about how it will change the current way everyone approaches junior golf.

When I read the USGA press release it appears they want a clear path to national golf.

I assume  every state will have national teams and the 9 year timespan is for small states without much golf.

These state teams will actually qualify for the biggest events.  It will make it harder to get into certain events for sure.

No one should be worried they will not have access to qualify on a state team in the next year or two.

It also appears that there are only certain events that will count toward kids qualifying for those teams.  If that true this will mean most juniors will have must play events at their local state level.

The whole system is going to discourage traveling a lot.  That will be good in some cases but you’re basically going to playing with the same kids in your area.

If your kid is a 2025 or 2026 this isn’t going to matter. However since there is talk about allied organizations my guess is we will see more emphases at the local level for younger kids.

I have nothing in this since my son (2025) will soon outgrow this initiative but the number of assumptions and negativity is pretty amazing. 

I am not going to go through all your assumptions but Team Colorado's website clarifies there are are plenty of out of state tournaments  (since you mentioning travel) to get points at (Southern Jr, Western Jr, AJGA Invitational. USJr AM, Jr PGA etc) and you can also get points at State AM and in-state AJGAs.

Kids that are elite will travel, but guess what they can remain in-state and compete in their State AM and get the same number of points.   

There are also plenty of tournaments  - counted 15 in-state only.  And these sound like pretty elite in-state tournament.  I  just took a quick peak at the Team California points list, they have a greater number of in-state tournaments but they also have a very elite batch of Junior Golfers and thus don't need to travel to get  elite level competition

I don't see how this would change my approach  to Jr Golf.  We play or aspire to play these type of tournaments.     

image.png.0f8228fc265a534e62025ec1c1c07291.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegobomber31 said:

I was really surprised Texas wasn’t part of this pilot program. Probably required too much coordination between North Texas and South Texas PGA.

You're surprised the self-proclaimed Lone Star state isn't taking part in a national program?  Last time I checked the flag has 50 stars on it. 

• Haha 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, mrshinsa said:

Unfortunately, junior golf in NorCal is a mess.  

I highly doubt they will get organized and bring out a team anytime soon.  

Could you please elaborate somewhat if its convenient to do so? I've never taken much notice beyond my boy's game and figure I probably should.

Edited by Tugu

Finally, a program to get more golfers on the course. I was worried I might get a tee time before July. 

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag