Coffee & Golf (Alternate: Possible Nasal Steroidal Spray Side Effects)

7 minutes ago, PeterJP said:

Truth be told, I have long harboured a secret belief that one day scientists will discover that coffee doesn't only have medicinal properties, but actual *magical* ones as well. It is, I believe, the absolute key to good health and long life. The only trouble is, I think coffee will be shown to be at its most medicinal and magical if one drinks it black, i.e., without sugar or milk, and I rarely drink it that way. So alas, I feel it will only have *some* medicinal properties for me, not magical ones. 

I agree, but it's not a secret belief. 

Recent studies have shown there are positive effects to drinking certain types of coffee.  Only a handful of people with bias still believe it's bad, including my medical doctor. 😛  Kind of like smoking cigars; talk to the wrong people and their bias flows like diarrhea.  LOL  

I don't believe my body knows whether I am drinking it black "yuk" or with a dollop of heavy cream.  Also, the amount of caffeine in some coffee beans is better than others.  The amount of coffee bean caffeine depends on how beans are processed.  For those drinking coffee via Mr Coffee, they get their full caffeine bang for the buck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, bigred90gt said:

Or, put some whiskey IN your coffee. 😅

Bad juju...

Americano in a thermos and Macallan 18 yr in a flask.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

11 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I agree, but it's not a secret belief. 

Recent studies have shown there are positive effects to drinking certain types of coffee.  Only a handful of people with bias still believe it's bad, including my medical doctor. 😛  Kind of like smoking cigars; talk to the wrong people and their bias flows like diarrhea.  LOL  

I don't believe my body knows whether I am drinking it black "yuk" or with a dollop of heavy cream.  Also, the amount of caffeine in some coffee beans is better than others.  The amount of coffee bean caffeine depends on how beans are processed.  For those drinking coffee via Mr Coffee, they get their full caffeine bang for the buck.

Actually - good point. Not only the type of coffee, but the way it is brewed matters (I usually use a French press). Making coffee the old way - dripping it through a paper filter, is a good way get get jitters. Even if the filters are "unbleached", the chemical processes required to make paper out of pulp do interact with the acids in the coffee. I rarely get jitters from coffee, but I do when I drink Mr. Coffee made stuff. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

2 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Actually - good point. Not only the type of coffee, but the way it is brewed matters (I usually use a French press). Making coffee the old way - dripping it through a paper filter, is a good way get get jitters. Even if the filters are "unbleached", the chemical processes required to make paper out of pulp do interact with the acids in the coffee. I rarely get jitters from coffee, but I do when I drink Mr. Coffee made stuff. 

Yep. 

Lavazza used to make a bean called Pienaroma, had minimal caffeine; quite taste too.  Back in 2001, before I purchased my first Super Auto machine used a French Press too; makes good coffee.  

On my last golf trip we used Mr Coffee to brew fresh ground beans; worked nicely, but 1-2 cups max.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

I'm not someone who "needs" coffee in the morning, but I enjoy it.  That said, I cannot drink coffee before I golf, or at least not my normal 2 cups...LOL.  My hands will start shaking slightly in that split second where I'm trying to get set just before starting my swing.  Same on putts.  I can go through my routine with my practice stroke just fine, but in that moment where I want to be still for just 1 second before taking the putter back, I'll feel my hands just slightly shake.

Doesn't bother me at work at all, as someone constantly typing or using a mouse while drinking my coffee. 

I will have a cup before I leave to play a morning round. After that it’s just water.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

In my forty years of enjoying coffee, and twenty-four yrs drinking espresso daily, that's a first.... LOL  After two at home, on my way to my tee time, typically I have a double shot Americano in my thermos, no effects.  All depends on the body's physiology.  

I take it, you don't drink coffee while playing golf... 

I enjoy 3-4 Americano's, a day, each has freshly ground double-shot, do the math, and no effects.  If you're attributing caffeine as the sudden culprit, you're maybe ignoring the real problem.  

Well, read verbatim I can see how you'd chuckle at that. But no..... 😛 I'm not blaming my golf swing woes on coffee. Merely, I am curious to how other folks find it impacts their performance.

In fact, if I had to blame a chemical, the more I consider it after thinking of it earlier, the more I think I'd blame the steroidal spray as the Hulk that wanted to break out of me yesterday seemed unusual. I didn't break my club, but I really really wanted to break it. That's largely pure frustration. It happens, but this was just pure rage.

These kids that were walking to their lessons were noticing it because I heard them as they looked right at me as I walked by; they seemed perhaps concerned. God knows the devil's face I must have worn at the time. Though, I didn't realize I was showing it. I certainly wasn't stomping on by or anything like that.

I'm also excessively hard on myself and attuned to exacting standards. I don't expect to be some pro level golfer, yet once I string along what I would consider exceptional success, anything less becomes a bane to my existence. I arrived to that point last July/August. I did so because I could focus on the process and methodically work on the basics to improve.

Now, it might as well be French to me. I have to explain that. Coffee intake has been on the rise since September; but your sentiment isn't falling on deaf ears. I am not willing to believe it truly is the caffeine, but it is one thing I can give up for a time to test at least especially since some folks acknowledge how it can have a negative effect to some degree.

I LOVE coffee. This was a hard enough idea to even consider, let alone starting an actual conversation! LOL

Edited by GwrxMod
profanity
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

28 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

Black coffee (always fresh ground, never from a Mr Coffee) and some Laphroaig. 🤩

I favor a french press - in fact I was really liking that "Bodum" thing I had a while ago but the seal never held up and eventually I was drinking the grinds, too. So I got a pour over.

I do use a Chemex with their filters that purportedly don't bastardize the coffee, but I prefer the mesh metallic filters. The pour-over makes 1000 times better coffee than any maker, and it competes in quality with the french press so its a win win. I tend to make it extra strong. 😄 

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Yep. 

Lavazza used to make a bean called Pienaroma, had minimal caffeine; quite taste too.  Back in 2001, before I purchased my first Super Auto machine used a French Press too; makes good coffee.  

On my last golf trip we used Mr Coffee to brew fresh ground beans; worked nicely, but 1-2 cups max.

I have a French press and a manual grinder that I use when we go camping. I like it, but it doesn’t make enough to be practical when I’m at home. I used to have a cheap espresso machine, but making coffee 1 cup at a time gets tedious when you drink as much as I do. I use a Bunn Speedbrew (makes a full pot in around 3 minutes) and experimented with grind size and quantity to get the right flavor profile. It keeps the water in a storage tank at the right temp so it’s not boiling its way through the coffee. Before we sold our house and moved to an apartment I was thinking about buying a small roaster, but that’s not very practical here. 

• Like 1

The coffee thing seems to be an excuse to get into things probably outside the realm of golf - like your personal mental health.  

If your kids are as concerned as you suggest because of how you act on a golf course take this stuff off the internet and talk with real people you know about your issues.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

The coffee thing seems to be an excuse to get into things probably outside the realm of golf - like your personal mental health.  

If your kids are as concerned as you suggest because of how you act on a golf course take this stuff off the internet and talk with real people you know about your issues.

I deserved that given how poorly I described that passive interaction. They weren't my kids, they were passing me by on the way to their group lesson as I calmly walked away wearing my disappointment on my sleeves. My intensity was internal and I was not physically making a show of it. Their reactions would have been general concern having taken notice; they're kids, they pick up on that stuff.

I just wasn't happy; I have reason not to be but that is strictly limited to golf. My mental health is 100% fine, but my ability to focus with golf is not. There is a reason for that, but perhaps it isn't too much caffeine.

Still, I feel it is worth dialing it back to observe changes over a longer period of time. Additionally, given that Fluticasone can actually cause mood swings and other related effects, I am switching back to my normal allergy meds. March is about over and that's the time I have to use it because I can't get through this month otherwise.

Seriously, I didn't really consider it before, but look it up; apparently in some cases these nasal sprays can have some fairly strong side effects; they're corticosteroids. They have other effects that actually would better explain possible struggles than caffeine. Though, I'd expect perhaps caffeine may even amplify it. Add that to the consistent sinus pressure this time of year and maybe it's just the perfect storm and it'll pass......

But anyways, please rest assured that my mental health is just fine.

6 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

I have a French press and a manual grinder that I use when we go camping. I like it, but it doesn’t make enough to be practical when I’m at home. I used to have a cheap espresso machine, but making coffee 1 cup at a time gets tedious when you drink as much as I do. I use a Bunn Speedbrew (makes a full pot in around 3 minutes) and experimented with grind size and quantity to get the right flavor profile. It keeps the water in a storage tank at the right temp so it’s not boiling its way through the coffee. Before we sold our house and moved to an apartment I was thinking about buying a small roaster, but that’s not very practical here. 

I thought for a brief moment that I sat on the remote and woke up to the

“Coffee Channel.” 

• Haha 1

It was a breezy 37 degrees F when we teed off yesterday. Had my Hydroflask bottled filled with 32 ounces of coffee which I consumed over the first 9 holes. Played pretty well. Definitely did not have any negative impact on my game. No jitters or lack of ability to concentrate or analyze, but it also isnt anything unusual for me as I typically drink coffee throughout the day every day.  

8 hours ago, st1800e said:

I thought for a brief moment that I sat on the remote and woke up to the

“Coffee Channel.” 

Haha, more like Oprah but actual talk about coffee is a plus --- 

9 hours ago, aenemated said:

One could say I'm a fan ... 

image.jpeg.7f5e82c6496a15b3c78546c45f2a1d6e.jpeg

I used to drink it all day, every day and it didn't bother me a bit. When I was a kid, I'd start my day with two cups of drip at home then stop for a 5 shot Americano on the way into the office 😂

Nowadays, definitely have to pay attention - especially working from home where I can just fire up that badboy any time I want. Too much and I can start to feel my eyelashes vibrating. 

Yep.  None after around 10 a.m. for me, but don't go a day without.

IMG_3867.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m not sure I would be able to play without coffee. Early morning rounds are the norm for me. I give myself enough time to have one cup at the house, and then take a small thermos to go (1-2 cups). Sip on that in the car and usually through the first 9 or so. Then switch to water. 

@Hawkeye77 we have very similar grinders. Mine:

IMG_0522.jpeg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Haha, more like Oprah but actual talk about coffee is a plus --- 

Yep.  None after around 10 a.m. for me, but don't go a day without.

IMG_3867.jpeg

I think Dr. Phil might be a more adequate analogy.

Honest, I didn't really intend for it to go there 😅

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Bad juju...

Americano in a thermos and Macallan 18 yr in a flask.

On my second Neal Peart book and he LOVED "the Macallan".

Also, I like your call on the heavy whipping cream, above.  Game changer for me a long time ago, on rare occasion.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

2 minutes ago, Bob Cat said:

On my second Neal Peart book and he LOVED "the Macallan".

Also, I like your call on the heavy whipping cream, above.  Game changer for me a long time ago, on rare occasion.

The Macallan is one of my favorites,  but I struggle to mix it with anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Sense of humor - check.  You'll be fine!

Well, I started it... 🤪

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JetSpeed79 said:

I’m not sure I would be able to play without coffee. Early morning rounds are the norm for me. I give myself enough time to have one cup at the house, and then take a small thermos to go (1-2 cups). Sip on that in the car and usually through the first 9 or so. Then switch to water. 

@Hawkeye77 we have very similar grinders. Mine:

IMG_0522.jpeg

I almost bought a Baratza for dosing beans in our Bunn drip but cheaped out and decided to measure our beans by volume each morning (1/2 cup) to grind in our Cuisinart burr grinder.  That grinder itself is NOT very accurate without measured single pot dosing.

Think I've settled into a decent econo setup.

But I digress.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

36 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Just avoid balls of string when you've had too much coffee. 😉

cat playing GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

The Macallan is one of my favorites,  but I struggle to mix it with anything.

I never mix any single malt... However, I do add a teaspoon of room temp bottled water to the Dram, it explodes the flavor profile.

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

I'm told there are many ways to make good coffee (as per examples above), but for me from my childhood days growing up at home until this very day, I have only used one way, ie the stove top Bialetti moka express, with just run of the mill Lavazza ground coffee. I don't know / claim it's the 'best', but it works for me very well and I love it. I use what they call their '6 cup' size, which leads to the perfect 1 mug-sized serving.

Edited by PeterJP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterJP said:

I'm told there are many ways to make good coffee (as per examples above), but for me from my childhood days growing up at home until this very day, I have only used one way, ie the stove top Bialetti moka express, with just run of the mill Lavazza ground coffee. I don't know / claim it's the 'best', but it works for me very well and I love it. I use what they call their '6 cup' size, which leads to the perfect 1 mug-sized serving.

👍 That's what I used back in the 70s and 80s.  🙂  My son is using it now. 

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

• Mikey_HACKilroy changed the title to Coffee & Golf (Alternate: Possible Nasal Steroidal Spray Side Effects)