Help With A Good Budget Graphite Shaft

First off, I want to say that this forum has been, by far, the most helpful when helping this almost 50 year old beginner (even though some of you helped me decide on equipment when I was almost 49.  Had to take a break in lessons and learning golf in general due to a host of unexpected things).  Currently looking at a new to me fairway wood for the bag.  Golf instructor said a 4, 7, or if I had to, go for a 5 wood.  Stay away from a 3 wood at the moment.  I have been searching online and many woods are in such awful condition.  Hey seller:  beat the cart path often or hit out of a rock quarry?  Anyway, looking at wood heads only, they are in much better condition.  Just curious, what is a good reputable graphite shaft on the budget friendly side?  Regular flex if that matters.  Many thanks.   

I always recommend Xcaliber.   You can reach out to them and they will direct you to what they think would best suits you.   

https://xcalibershafts.com/

Driver: Stealth 2+ 10.5° TR Black 6S Tipped 1”.

Fairways: Stealth 2+ 16.5° 1K Black 75S Tipped 1”. 
Stealth + 19° 1K Black 85S Tipped 1.5”.

Irons: Mim Tours 3-PW Modus 115X 3C14 Protos.

WedgesRTX6 50, 54, 58 Modus 125S.

Putter: White Hot Versa Double Wide.

Ball: Z-Star Diamond.

Your thread title says you're looking for a shaft, but the post mentions shopping for a head.  WTS, a consideration for if you can overcome OEM bias.  Brand new fairway club, adjustable hosel with a solid shaft for a reasonable $116 expense.  Maltby KE4 TC Pro 5 wood (17o).  I play an earlier version (KC4 TC) with the KK shaft and it's a solid fairway implement.  I long ago stopped playing a ~15o fairway wood, achieving nearly equal distance with a 5 wood do to improved consistency in launching the ball.  Plus the shorter "standard" shaft length offers better control of the club.  Reads as though you're a perfect candidate for an implement such as this.  

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-tc-pro-ist-fairway-pak-kuro-kage-black-hbp/p/pma0346hbp/

For supplemental information/recommendations/validation, place an inquiry in the long running Maltby thread here:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1520476-maltby-ts2/page/272/

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Grafalloy Blue Pro Launch 55 

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Yeah, sorry about the misleading post.  I found a few heads that I am interested in.  I am totally new to buying the club head, and then what kind of shaft would best suit me.  And I know some need an adapter and some don't.  I am about 5 feet 8 inches tall with a 70-75 mph swing speed at the moment (but just started out).  Being almost 50 years old, I don't think I will ever hit 90+ mph swing speed.  Many thanks.

You may want to consider a head with a ladies flex shaft.  I've found that ladies clubs are in better condition. A combination of low use, slower swing speeds, and soft low compression balls.

Your current swing speed is in the range of ladies and senior shafts.  But, the speeds are only a guide.  I was fitted at Club Champion for ladies flex iron and senior flex wood shafts.

I'm only 5' 2" and older, but I do a lot of gardening so I still have enough flexibility to take a long back swing and effectively use that to drive the ball straight with good distance.

Flexibility may be a bigger factor than your age.  I find it takes months to incorporate new swing changes.  My wife said I was unusual in that I'm constantly learning new things!

Adapters make it easy to swap shafts.  

The epoxy used for golf clubs has a low transition temperature, typically below the boiling point of water, to ease disassembly.

A shaft puller is recommended to avoid twisting and damaging graphite shafts used with woods.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

You may want to consider a head with a ladies flex shaft.  I've found that ladies clubs are in better condition. A combination of low use, slower swing speeds, and soft low compression balls.

Your current swing speed is in the range of ladies and senior shafts.  But, the speeds are only a guide.  I was fitted at Club Champion for ladies flex iron and senior flex wood shafts.

I'm only 5' 2" and older, but I do a lot of gardening so I still have enough flexibility to take a long back swing and effectively use that to drive the ball straight with good distance.

Flexibility may be a bigger factor than your age.  I find it takes months to incorporate new swing changes.  My wife said I was unusual in that I'm constantly learning new things!

Adapters make it easy to swap shafts.  

The epoxy used for golf clubs has a low transition temperature, typically below the boiling point of water, to ease disassembly.

A shaft puller is recommended to avoid twisting and damaging graphite shafts used with woods.

Is there a huge difference in ladies and senior shaft flex?  I will say that no instructor has said anything about changing flexes.  Thanks again.

It is a lot like sizing clothing.  One manufacturer's large may be another's XL.

It can be a touchy topic that instructors may want to stay away from. There are stories about guys refusing to play ladies shafts despite fitting data that shows they should!

A lot of golfers at a beginners course I play have stiff shafts they shouldn't be using, according to the old guy who has been there a long time.

23 minutes ago, Collegefbfan said:

Has anyone found that a "shorter" shaft allows more "control".  How much shorter, not sure.  But I have read that in quite a few places.

A generalization, but a shorter shaft does offer enhanced control.  Many D's are to long for the average recreational golfer.  Peeps would be better served by playing D's at 44.5".  Mine is at 45".  I play my fairways .5" shorter than 'standard' lengths.  Control of where the ball is headed is more important than any perceived loss of distance that MAY occur.  And if a "relatively" shorter shaft allows for improved repeatability in making solid contact, one may actually realize better distance.  You can get a sense of a shorter length club by gripping down on the handle further the customary (piece of tape to mark the spot).  With irons though, a preferred length is determined by several factors.  Which for me is having a comfortable posture and setup at address.   I don't like feeling as though I'm reaching for the ball.   FWIW, I'm 6'2", with a 38" WTF.   

Edited by Fellaheen51

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs