Best Bag? Sun Mountain vs Jones vs Hudson Sutler vs Vessel vs ... ?

I'm trying to buy a new bag - usually I go for super light for waling and/or cheap (I have this Puma bag that is 3lbs with insulated drink sleeve, 5 pockets, 4 full length dividers - idk how but it was $95 when I got it and it's ripping a little). I'd like to get something that is walkable but at the same time nice as hell - I ride way more than I walk but would like to get back to walking more. 

Would love to hear some of the community's feedback on these - I'm in paralysis by analysis. Any other similar options? Anything that is actually lightweight that is on this level?

Jones: Trouper 3.0 or Trouper R (not sure what the difference is tbh)

Possible cons: no included rain hoods, rangefinder pocket separate, not sure if the cooler pocket is too big/balls can be stored in the side zippers on that pocket. 

https://www.jonessportsco.com/collections/stand-bags

Hudson Sutler

Possible cons: no ball pocket on spine, brand new bag from the company, only 2 colors.

https://www.hudsonsutler.com/collections/golf/products/hudson-stand-bag?variant=48074419405077

Vessel Player Air

Possible cons: not sure if it has the leather touchpoints like other bags, not sure if it's really lightweight enough to matter, cooler sleeve is weak looking. 

https://vesselgolf.com/products/player-air-stand?variant=41255992295484

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

Possible cons: exposed stand pedal mechanism instead of flexible base, only certain colors have the magnetic pocket (not including the black and red one that I like 😕 )  

https://www.sunmountain.com/products/mid-stripe-stand-bag

Some updates... I went over to Golf Galaxy to see if I could check some of these out

I eliminated the Sun Mountain bag - it looks really cool, and the leather touchpoints are nice... but the pockets, weight (heavier than expected), and drink pockets (small) are really nothing special, especially compared to some of the others. I happened to see the 14 way 4.5 LS, which had a magnetic rangefinder pocket, more pockets, hard shell valuables pocket - for the same money it seems waaay better (also seems to be on a crazy good sale on TGW). I would also say the Baron bag looks the same or better... but so far as I can tell only has a single strap (hard no for me). They do sell straps separately, but the pictures are terrible so hard to tell if the straps are set up to work with the Baron bag. 

The Jones Trouper R is really nice, a bit heavier than I would like but overall cool as hell. The side pockets on either side of the cooler are kinda weird, and I don't see any way that the cooler pocket has to drain so I wouldn't put ice in there. Important to note that there are only 3 full length dividers, so middle row and putter well are not fully separated. 

I saw the Vessel Player IV, so not exactly what I was looking at... super slick, but HEAVY, and I hate PU leather. And, for the price... the cooler sleeve is definitely weak. 

Here's one that I was kind of shocked at - the Maxfli Honors + has EVERYTHING that the Sun Mountain bag does, but a way better cooler pocket. Kinda shocked at how slick it was, I'm definitely thinking about that thing now too, and maybe one of their Air bags for walking. 
https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/maxfli-2021-honors-14-way-stand-bag-21maxmmx21hnrs14wbaga/21maxmmx21hnrs14wbaga

57 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Hoofer Lite is the best bag for walking and riding in my experience 

Noted - I'm not a huge fan of ping bags these days, they don't really offer anything special over other brands (unlike when they were the only ones with that base/stand configuration) and are relatively heavy... and idk about everyone else, but I find the colors utterly terrible. But, if I don't come to a decision I might go grab one and check it out - thanks! 

34 minutes ago, John117 puttin4eagle said:

Noted - I'm not a huge fan of ping bags these days, they don't really offer anything special over other brands (unlike when they were the only ones with that base/stand configuration) and are relatively heavy... and idk about everyone else, but I find the colors utterly terrible. But, if I don't come to a decision I might go grab one and check it out - thanks! 

Their 'special offering' is the uncanny balance when placed on the shoulders and the incredibly efficient pocket layout, to include the genius rainhood/hip pad combo

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I’ve had numerous Vessel’s, Sun Mountain, Titleist, and Nike bags.

And what’s in my basement?  A Hoofer Lite for walking and a Hoofer 5 Way for riding/pushcart.

They just work.  They are durable as hell.  They do not have leg droop.  Their pockets are perfect.  Their straps are unrivaled.

Edited by Hougz79
  • Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I have an old Ping stand bag and it worked and held up well though its legs would hang down which was annoying and the bag was a bit heavy.

I recently purchased a Titleist Players 4 Carbon stand bag and it's working well. The double straps work well when carrying and balance well though the edges of the strap cushions are a bit stiff.  It's very light weight and hopefully lasts. I would buy again.

Edited by windyrun

6 hours ago, John117 puttin4eagle said:

The Jones Trouper R is really nice, a bit heavier than I would like but overall cool as hell. The side pockets on either side of the cooler are kinda weird, and I don't see any way that the cooler pocket has to drain so I wouldn't put ice in there. Important to note that there are only 3 full length dividers, so middle row and putter well are not fully separated. 

It says not to put ice in the cooler pocket. I have one and use reusable ice packs and it works great. 

Just FYI on the Trouper it does include a rain hood. I think the difference between the 3.0 and R is that the 3.0 has the new straps (which I prefer and have used both). 

Jones also has a new Utility Rover stand bag that is a little bit lighter than the Trouper. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

1 hour ago, PNW said:

Just FYI on the Trouper it does include a rain hood. I think the difference between the 3.0 and R is that the 3.0 has the new straps (which I prefer and have used both). 

Jones also has a new Utility Rover stand bag that is a little bit lighter than the Trouper. Might be worth a look.

Is this the one you mean? I do like it a lot actually, but I don't love that you lose the cooler pocket...

https://www.jonessportsco.com/collections/stand-bags/products/rover-stand-bag-cement-cobalt-blue

Also, do you still use one of the Jones bags? Or have you changed to something else 

Yes, sorry. I had the name wrong but the one you linked is the one I was referring to. 

I have a couple Jones bags that I switch between exclusively. One is the Trouper R which I added the new straps to and the other is actually an old version of the Utility Rover that doesn't have a stand. I've considered switching to the new Rover Stand because I think the amount of storage compared to the Trouper will be a wash (that was my biggest concern) but it is 0.8lbs lighter and I like to walk/carry. I don't love or hate the cooler pocket but I know some people don't like it, so I don't mind that the Rover Stand doesn't have the cooler material. I'm pretty sure the Rover Stand also comes with a rain hood.

I've used Jones bags for years and always found them to be better than average quality and hold up well over several seasons where others don't. The two biggest complaints people have about Jones are the configuration of the pockets, specifically with the cooler, and the straps which I think tangle for some people. The pocket configuration isn't optimal but it's not truly an issue for me. The straps are actually a big selling point for me because they are really comfortable to use either single or double and I will often carry single. I don't have a tangle issue with them. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

14 minutes ago, PNW said:

Yes, sorry. I had the name wrong but the one you linked is the one I was referring to. 

I have a couple Jones bags that I switch between exclusively. One is the Trouper R which I added the new straps to and the other is actually an old version of the Utility Rover that doesn't have a stand. I've considered switching to the new Rover Stand because I think the amount of storage compared to the Trouper will be a wash (that was my biggest concern) but it is 0.8lbs lighter and I like to walk/carry. I don't love or hate the cooler pocket but I know some people don't like it, so I don't mind that the Rover Stand doesn't have the cooler material. I'm pretty sure the Rover Stand also comes with a rain hood.

I've used Jones bags for years and always found them to be better than average quality and hold up well over several seasons where others don't. The two biggest complaints people have about Jones are the configuration of the pockets, specifically with the cooler, and the straps which I think tangle for some people. The pocket configuration isn't optimal but it's not truly an issue for me. The straps are actually a big selling point for me because they are really comfortable to use either single or double and I will often carry single. I don't have a tangle issue with them. 

Thanks for the info, kinda what my impression was when I got hands on it. Did you by chance have a look at that hudson sutler bag I put in the initial post? seems like the best of both Trouper and Rover, and right in between on weight... 

@John117 puttin4eagle I just checked it out and it seems like a really good option. If you wind up going with that I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

I've had a Vessel VLS for 3 years now and it's like the day I bought it. Super durable, no leg droop at all, strap system is top notch and the bag is only 4.5 pounds.

I've considered the Vessel Player Air but I'm not sure what I'd gain to be honest. I've owned TaylorMade, Titleist, a slew of Sun Mountain bags, Ping....

Nothing comes close to the Vessel.

I like golf. A lot.

I’m constantly frustrated by my Jones Trooper bag but I’m stubborn, I like the way it looks and it’s expensive so want to get some use out of it. I don’t carry it as the straps are terrible for carrying and I’ve dropped a club so the tangle is manageable (it still tangles a lot with 13 clubs and midsized grips).

I might relegate the Jones to become my range bag, but I haven’t found a good enough replacement yet. 

On 4/23/2024 at 7:34 PM, John117 puttin4eagle said:

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

Possible cons: exposed stand pedal mechanism instead of flexible base, only certain colors have the magnetic pocket (not including the black and red one that I like 😕 )  

https://www.sunmountain.com/products/mid-stripe-stand-bag

The stand mechanism is IMO the reason to buy Sun Mountain bags. In actual use it works so much better than the tilting floor thing everyone else does now. Not a con but a pro, for sure.

RE: Your later post I do think the Sun Mountain 4.5 is a great bag. For my taste, it's not really as compact as I'd prefer but in every other way, excellent. And speaking at least of the older generation 4.5's I've seen (haven't encountered the latest version yet) they seem very sturdy and well made. 

7 minutes ago, Mikee_j said:

I’m constantly frustrated by my Jones Trooper bag but I’m stubborn, I like the way it looks and it’s expensive so want to get some use out of it. I don’t carry it as the straps are terrible for carrying and I’ve dropped a club so the tangle is manageable (it still tangles a lot with 13 clubs and midsized grips).

I might relegate the Jones to become my range bag, but I haven’t found a good enough replacement yet. 

The entire Jones range has always seemed to me something you buy for the styling and retro touches, at the cost of less than ideal usability. In every category, the Jones model alongside the more mainstream SM's, Pings, etc. looks like they haven't quite fine-tuned all the little details that matter when you're schlepping the thing for 4 hours. Not awful, just not as well sorted as it could be.