Closest CB to the J40 DPC

colu41

I'm looking for a set of older CBs, similar to the J40s, but has a smaller heel to toe blade size. The feel and look of the J40s were great, I just can't play with an iron that large. 

This is NOT a WTB, just looking for ideas. And figured no better place to get them!

Edited by colu41

Callaway Rogue St Max 10.5* Fujikura Atmos Red 6X

Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood

Callaway Epic Flash 5 Wood

Rogue ST Pro 4-PW PX Rifle Tour Flight 105 S

Cleveland CBX4 Wedges 48*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Custom Knuckle Neck Special Select Squareback 2 🤩

Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Youtube: Igolf906 for my putter restorations!

Oh man, you are talking about comparing to a bit of a unicorn.  Those things were unique!  

Following along…

• Like 1

Ping   G430 Max 10.5   Accra Tz5 65

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Taylormade   P770 4i   MMT 105s

Ping   Blueprint S 5-P  MMT 105tx

Mizuno  T24 49s, 55s, 60v  MMT 105tx

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

5 minutes ago, wam78 said:

Oh man, you are talking about comparing to a bit of a unicorn.  Those things were unique!  

Following along…

This better not turn into a thread that just persuades me to keep them! 🤣 Like I said they feel and look amazing, they are just so much bigger compared to my current gamers. 

Bridgestone Tour BXS

1 minute ago, colu41 said:

This better not turn into a thread that just persuades me to keep them! 🤣 Like I said they feel and look amazing, they are just so much bigger compared to my current gamers. 

They are bigger than the Rogue ST pro? I would suggest the z745 or J15 CB. Maybe some older Mizuno CB

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54L+/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, chinaski said:

They are bigger than the Rogue ST pro? I would suggest the z745 or J15 CB. Maybe some older Mizuno CB

Yes much bigger!

20240712_203906.jpg

Edited by colu41

Bridgestone Tour BXS

12 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Mizuno MP-18 SC 

Touratage 709 MC

Those MP18s are gorgeous. And are very similar in shape as the J40s. I'll look into the blade length.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

30 minutes ago, colu41 said:

Those MP18s are gorgeous. And are very similar in shape as the J40s. I'll look into the blade length.

The MP-18s are as pure as it gets. I play the MP-18 MB and I don't think the SC is much different in over length. So I can give you some measurements if you want. They are very small and compact. 

Edited by Ben B
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ben B said:

The MP-18s are as pure as it gets. I play the MP-18 MB and I don't think the SC is much different in over length. So I can give you some measurements if you want. They are very small and compact. 

That would be awesome! How are blade lengths measured? As there's no clear cut side for the heel. I want to measure my Rogues so I can compare with online specs of others.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I’m a little confused. Are you looking for an iron similar to the J40 DPC with a shorter blade or are you just looking for a forged CB iron with a shorter blade length and thin top line that feels similar to the J40 DPC? These are two very different things.

The DPC irons are a very unique design that look and feel great but are very forgiving. There are very few irons like them. Best bet would be the new Bridgestone 221 CB irons. Another option would be original New Level 902 irons. Maybe Mizuno MP 59 would work but shape feel and performance won’t really match the Bridgestones. 

If you are just looking for a CB iron with shorter blade and thin top line that feels like the J40 DPC irons there are many good options: Bridgestone J40 CB, J33 CB, J15 CB, multiple Tour Stage CB irons to choose from, Srixon Z series 745 to ZX7 all of these irons are forged at Endo and will have a similar feel. Recent Wilson Staff CB irons V6 to 2024 CB model feel similar too. 

MP18 SC will have a smaller head and are great irons. They will be much less forgiving and felt firmer to me than the Bridgestone irons.

i have a set of the J40 DPC irons and they are long heel to toe. However unless I put them next to another iron I cannot tell.  Out on the course I have never looked down at them and thought the blade looked too long.

IMG_5149.jpeg

IMG_6051.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

Edited by Tar_Heel_93
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

I’m a little confused. Are you looking for an iron similar to the J40 DPC with a shorter blade or are you just looking for a forged CB iron with a shorter blade length and thin top line that feels similar to the J40 DPC? These are two very different things.

The DPC irons are a very unique design that look and feel great but are very forgiving. There are very few irons like them. Best bet would be the new Bridgestone 221 CB irons. Another option would be original New Level 902 irons. Maybe Mizuno MP 59 would work but shape feel and performance won’t really match the Bridgestones. 

If you are just looking for a CB iron with shorter blade and thin top line that feels like the J40 DPC irons there are many good options: Bridgestone J40 CB, J33 CB, J15 CB, multiple Tour Stage CB irons to choose from, Srixon Z series 745 to ZX7 all of these irons are forged at Endo and will have a similar feel. Recent Wilson Staff CB irons V6 to 2024 CB model feel similar too. 

MP18 SC will have a smaller head and are great irons. They will be much less forgiving and felt firmer to me than the Bridgestone irons.

i have a set of the J40 DPC irons and they are long heel to toe. However unless I put them next to another iron I cannot tell.  Out on the course I have never looked down at them and thought the blade looked too long.

I think what I'm really wanting is a forged CB that FEELS like the J40s with the same forgiveness, and shorter blade. 

Bridgestone Tour BXS

1 minute ago, colu41 said:

I think what I'm really wanting is a forged CB that FEELS like the J40s with the same forgiveness, and shorter blade. 

That may be impossible to find. You will have to give up some forgiveness to get the shorter blade length or move to something like a T100 or AP2 and give up the Endo forged feel. I decided on a Wilson V6 MB combo as they feel great but I’m giving up a lot of forgiveness. It is fine as I also play 2018 Apex MB irons and they have zero forgiveness. Don’t sell the DPC irons as they really are a unicorn. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

That may be impossible to find. You will have to give up some forgiveness to get the shorter blade length or move to something like a T100 or AP2 and give up the Endo forged feel. I decided on a Wilson V6 MB combo as they feel great but I’m giving up a lot of forgiveness. It is fine as I also play 2018 Apex MB irons and they have zero forgiveness. Don’t sell the DPC irons as they really are a unicorn. 

I already pulled them down from Ebay. You all are bad influences. Posted them a few hours ago and had 4 watchers at $500 BIN price. 🤷‍♂️ Anyways, I need to find a set of PX Rifle 105s now because these KBS Tour 120's are not for me.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

@Tar_Heel_93 good call on the NL902.  Their designs mimic a lot of what Bridgestone did.  Although what makes those DPC so unique is the forgiveness and feel, but also that sole design.  It plays way thinner than it shows which, in my mind, helps to make them feel so damn good!  Unicorns!

• Like 2

Ping   G430 Max 10.5   Accra Tz5 65

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Taylormade   P770 4i   MMT 105s

Ping   Blueprint S 5-P  MMT 105tx

Mizuno  T24 49s, 55s, 60v  MMT 105tx

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Off topic, but without pulling the heads yet, does anyone know the hosel size for these DPCs? .370, .355 taper? Decided to keep them. They just feel too good. I'll get over the blade length. I just need to get some good shafts in them.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

1 minute ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

0.355 taper.

Awesome thanks.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I played j36 pocket cavities and have moved to tour b x-cb. I'll post some pics shortly of the two.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

20240716_205149.jpg

20240716_205000.jpg

20240716_204901.jpg

20240716_204904.jpg

• Like 1

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

Effective sole is roughly the same with the pre worn leading edge on the tour b x-cb, trailing edge relief is a bit hard to see as well. 

But very close to the j36.

J36 feel like butter compared to the x-cb, much firmer feeling iron, but not bad by any means.

• Like 1

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Bagboy Nitron 

4 hours ago, colu41 said:

3 hours ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

That may be impossible to find. 

Tons of great Bridgestone info, but kinda confused why the J15CB isn’t the first choice here? I moved from the DPC to the J15 for this exact blade length reason. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Taylormade Qi10 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10 ST
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Tons of great Bridgestone info, but kinda confused why the J15CB isn’t the first choice here? I moved from the DPC to the J15 for this exact blade length reason. 

J15CB would also be a great choice or the J15DF. I have a set of the J15DFs and they are small, compact and very long and forgiving. Really, a great iron.

I only perfer the Mizuno MP-18MBs over the Bridgestone J15DFs becuase I have more control over spin with the shorter irons. What I mean is that I will routinely hit my 7 iron from 145 to 175 yards depending on weather conditions, lie, green conditions, pin location, ect...(same with my 8-PW) and the Mizunos are just a bit easier to do so. I am sure the Bridgestone J15 blades are just as good as the Mizunos, I just found a steal of a deal with the shafts I wanted when I was looking for irons.....otherwise the J15MBs would be in the bag and I really did like the J15DFs a lot. 

So I'd expand my list to:

Mizuno MP-18CB

Tourstage 709 MC

Bridgestone J15 CB

Bridgestone J15 DF

https://www.golfwrx.com/271021/bridgestone-j15-mb-j15-cb-j15-df-and-j15dpf-forged-irons/

Edited by Ben B
  • Like 1

Not sure how the size of these compare to the J40, but the 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro's are legendary. Quite forgiving, and incredibly soft Endo forging. I took this pic when I bought my first set of them a few years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135116134414

20210715_092453.jpg.529a9100f952ea93ba3d4f3fe6620bad.jpg

Edited by Ger21
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 7 wood)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

30 minutes ago, Tar_Heel_93 said:

It was the 3rd one on my list. List wasn’t ordered by rank a running list of ideas. 😀

J15 similar in forgiveness as the J40s? They look quite different in size.

Bridgestone Tour BXS

15 hours ago, colu41 said:

I'm looking for a set of older CBs, similar to the J40s, but has a smaller heel to toe blade size. The feel and look of the J40s were great, I just can't play with an iron that large. 

This is NOT a WTB, just looking for ideas. And figured no better place to get them!

J40s are kind of unique in that they're a forged, softer feeling iron that pushes the sweet spot out away from the heel of the club, and really low. So it means a high MOI, low COG, and COG further towards the toe.  

They're not going to feel as soft but the Ping irons are going to be the most similar, except a lot of them don't have as low of a CG. I'm looking at MPF data to try to find the closest iron with similar dimensions to that after that you're going to have to . The S55 are probably your closest bet as an "older" iron but the COG is a good amount higher than the J40s (so they'll spin a little more).  The Titleist t150 despite being a much shorter players iron is almost exact numbers wise and is probably the closest 1:1 fit, COG on the J40 probably sits right between the t200 and t150 of the latest versions, but both numbers wise are pretty close. Ping is similar with an iron that typically pushes the COG away from the hosel, but they're COG is really high compared to the DPC.  The ZX5 is also fairly close but will be a much chunkier sole.

• Like 1

Wilson Staff CB's have super short blade lengths, extremely good feel, and are quite forgiving.

I've owned the MP18SC's and they feel great but calling them a CB is a joke... they're no more forgiving than a MB.

You can still get a new in wrapper set of 2021 model year Wilson Staff CB's on the bay for $499.

Plus they're darn nice looking irons:

image.jpeg.f8513a98306e95382fa811768e726584.jpeg

Edited by Kmagnuss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmagnuss said:

Wilson Staff CB's have super short blade lengths, extremely good feel, and are quite forgiving.

I've owned the MP18SC's and they feel great but calling them a CB is a joke... they're no more forgiving than a MB.

You can still get a new in wrapper set of 2021 model year Wilson Staff CB's on the bay for $499.

Plus they're darn nice looking irons:

image.jpeg.f8513a98306e95382fa811768e726584.jpeg

These do look nice but have yet to find even a heavily used set for sub $500. Was trying to keep my searches around the $250-$300 mark. I've ordered a set of shafts to throw in my J40s and take them out for a round next week. Maybe I can get over the blade length but we'll see.

Bridgestone Tour BXS