MP60 vs. MP32, Differences

AHunnerdOut

From folks who've played both
I am curious as to the playing differences between these two irons. I am planning on buying a new set of Miz irons this winter and I can't decide between these 2. I don't have the opportunity to hit both outside.

I'm very interested to know the differences in ball flight, sole reaction to different turf types, forgiveness and so on.

Also, give me an idea of how you play and your swing type.

I scanned through several pages of topics and didn't see any posts on this, so I hope I'm not repeating anyone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had both sets although not with same shafts in past 2 months and I'm using MP32's right now. MP60's are slightly more forgiving but I felt that I was hitting the ball better with MP32, forces me to concentrate on making a good swing.

I couldn't really tell the trajectory differences between those 2 sets but I do think MP60's are more forgiving in longer irons. Pitching wedge of MP60's seems slightly larger than MP32's, don't know if it's true or not but it seems that way.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I've played with both with exact same setups. Can't tell the difference in trajectory and workability. The 60's are much more forgiving and feel just as good. I'm a really low handicap and I don't see any advantage to the 32s. My suggestion, get the 60's. They do everything the 32s do PLUS forgive some mistakes.

• 4 months later...

Also looking for feedback on this topic. More specifically in terms of ballflight. Several people have commented that the mp60 short irons go much higher than the 32 model. So is the combo 32/60 the way to go?

Now that the weather is starting to improve, can anyone who has actually hit both help us out?

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
MP-T11 50° & 55° / MPT4 61°
Ping Sydney 33"

I did some pretty extensive testing between the two 6 months ago and ended up with the MP-60's. Trajectory was the same for both (yes, they both hit higher than most, but if you put the right weight and stiffness shaft in you don't loose any distance). Where I really saw the difference was in slightly off-center hits. The 32's will punish you both in distance and in hand stinging!

I was really trying to convince myself that the 32's were the way to go because of all the "club of the year" hype - but you just can't argue with performance and I found the 60's were every bit as good if not better than the 32's. Although I still think the 32's are the best looking irons out there..... ;)

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
Tour Edge C721 10.5 w/Ventus Red R
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Spider
Snell MTB-X

I have a MP60/32 combo and don't see much difference between the 2. THe only thing I see is the Mp32's give a little bit more shot shaping . they seem easier to hit high or low and slice fade and draw ( sometimes unintentionally ) They are shockingly forgiving.

Interesting that you find them so similar. I am erring toward the MP60s myself. Can you tell me how you are getting on with the SL shafts? I am thinking of getting these in s300. The website says they are identical to the good old dynamic golds, but lighter. Have you found that to be the case? If so, they could be just what i am looking for.

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

the 60's have more offset, slightly higher flight and a more stability through impact. i also believe that the face of the 32 is closer to the hosel than on the 60. the 60 looks slightly larger at address.

i tested both. liked the 60's. bought the 32's. most people i know that test them hit the 60's better. in fact the 60's are probaby the most popular irons among all the golf lovers i know.

i would encourage you to get the 60's if u dont have plenty of time to make sure the 32's are right for you.

the 32's are more piercing and easier to move around. theyre forgiving on slightly off center hits, but if you put an iffy swing on the ball you'll be opening a new sleeve of balls every 2 holes.

The 60's are nice CB's but there are so many nice perimeter-weighted CB out there. (The new Bridgestone J33 CB is another one to add to the same list). Putting the "cut muscle" inside of a perimeter weighted CB pretty much negates any of the functional benefit. The perimeter weighting dominates functionality there.

The 32's however, have broken new ground and are in a class by themselves. The 32's are actually pretty large and thick for a blade design but still have all of a blade's attributes. The cut muscle is truly functional on the 32's and indeed is the feature that makes them more forgiving than most Player's CB's. In fact, the manufacturer, (Mizuno) can claim only a mere 10% improvement in forgiveness if you choose the 60's over the 32's. (No decent ballstriker is going to even notice that small of a difference). The "meaty" feel of the 32's more than makes up for that, and of course, the 32's look a whole lot better as well. Once you hit the 32's, you are truly spoiled by that nice "meaty" feel. The 60's feel nice for a CB, but not the same feel as the 32's.

Go with the 32's!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

The 60's are nice CB's but there are so many nice perimeter-weighted CB out there. (The new Bridgestone J33 CB is another one to add to the same list). Putting the "cut muscle" inside of a perimeter weighted CB pretty much negates any of the functional benefit. The perimeter weighting dominates functionality there.

The 32's however, have broken new ground and are in a class by themselves. The 32's are actually pretty large and thick for a blade design but still have all of a blade's attributes. The cut muscle is truly functional on the 32's and indeed is the feature that makes them more forgiving than most Player's CB's. In fact, the manufacturer, (Mizuno) can claim only a mere 10% improvement in forgiveness if you choose the 60's over the 32's. (No decent ballstriker is going to even notice that small of a difference). The "meaty" feel of the 32's more than makes up for that, and of course, the 32's look a whole lot better as well. Once you hit the 32's, you are truly spoiled by that nice "meaty" feel. The 60's feel nice for a CB, but not the same feel as the 32's.

Go with the 32's!

So the cut muscle works for one iron and is useless in the other? So if the 32 is say 30% more forgiving than iron X the 60 being 40% more forgiving has little significance? :crazy2:

You can't go wrong with either iron ;)

What is the highest handicap recommended for the mp32s? Im a 9 handicap and would LOVE them!

You should be fine with them.

I've had both sets, identically set up with X100's and Rifle 6.5's in them. Yes...4 sets. I loved the feel of the 32's and in my opinion they felt much more crisper then the 60's. As someone said, the 60's do have slightly more offset, but forgiveness wise, I didn't notice that much of a difference in either set. If anything the only diffence was a slight edge in offcenter hits with the 60's vs 32's with less distance lost. I also thought the 32's hit the ball much higher then the 60's which probably goes against normal thought considering the head design. I found shot shaping to be easy with both sets.

If I were to make a choice on either one, I'd go for the 60's just for the mental part that it's slightly more forgiving then the 32's. A little more confidence in the head before you swing never hurts. ;)

I did some pretty extensive testing between the two 6 months ago and ended up with the MP-60's. Trajectory was the same for both (yes, they both hit higher than most, but if you put the right weight and stiffness shaft in you don't loose any distance). Where I really saw the difference was in slightly off-center hits. The 32's will punish you both in distance and in hand stinging!

I was really trying to convince myself that the 32's were the way to go because of all the "club of the year" hype - but you just can't argue with performance and I found the 60's were every bit as good if not better than the 32's. Although I still think the 32's are the best looking irons out there..... ;)

I agree with this 100%. You can play the 32s over the 60s, but it will cost you strokes in the long run.

Pardon me but I may be failing to see your point. How would putting the cut muscle design on the center portion of the club "negate" the functional benefit of the perimeter weighting. It is my understanding that by removing even more material from the central area of the club, one actually enhances the perimeter weighting of the club. Even without a CB configuration, the cut muscle increases the weight differential between the bottom part and the top portion. Perhaps you mean that the cut muscle is less beneficial on the MP-60's due to its inherently forgiving design in comparison to the MP-32. Just my 2 cents.

I wrote this in another thread earlier, but I'll add it here as well.

I'm in a similar situation as you as far as club selection is concerned. I tested both the 60's and the 32's on the range to see what type of reaction I had to each. After hitting about 50 balls with each set of irons (they had identical shafts) I decided to mix the two. What I found with my swing was overall I hit the 32's great. They were more forgiving than I expected and I had a great, penetrating trajectory with them. However, the long irons just seemed to fall out of the air after a while and I didnt feel like I was getting the same shot type as I was with the short irons.

I then tried out the MP60's and found that I had much more confidence with the long irons but wasn't feelin' the ball flight on the mid/short irons. It was way too high and I also didn't feel as comfortable chipping and pitching with the MP60's as I did with the MP32's and their blade styling.

In the end, I decided to mix the two into my own combo set. MP60's in the 3/4/5 irons and MP32's in the 6-PW. Unfortunately I'm away at school right now so when I go home on my next break I'm going to be fit properly and hopefully put my order in. I'll be adding a 1/2" to the length for sure, and probably going with thinner grips due to my small hands (damn you genetics). Lie/loft's are still TBD. I have no doubt that propper fitting may fix the issues I had with the ball flight on certain clubs, I don't know if my game is solid enough to be hitting blades in my long irons just yet. :idhitit:

I have played several different combinations of Mizunos in the past yar (cert club ho): full set of 60s then full set of Mp32s (with a couple different shafts), a combo set with the 4 and 5 iron in 60, the rest mp32s and now a full set of 60s. For reference I play to a 10 from last year but should be singles next revision.

Anyway, here is my take on the two sets: The 32s look hot, each time I went to get a set, I just couldnt get away from the look. The reality for me is that slightly off center hits would still go very straight but I would lose enough distance to miss greens and cost myself strokes. The mp32s are the most accurate irons I have ever hit. I dont need a lot of side spin correction and tend to hit very straight but if you hit one off the sweet spot, the difference, in the end was too great a penalty to play over the course of a round.

The long irons are certainly easier to launch in the mp60s and from address they both look very similar to my eye. It is hard to tell any differences in offset between the two in a double blind. The pw is too bulky but I had to get over that.

I guess it comes down to your normal miss. I know for some, the difference between the two will be minimal. When I first switched back to all 32s, I felt the same way but the stats dont lie. I hit more gir with the 60s. Again may be an all mental thing.

As for the cut muscle not being as effective in the 60s, I think the poster was remarking that the cavity already took away a large amount of material so placing the cut inside would have less of an effect compared to the 32 where there is much less perimeter weighting and the cut moves more material.

The Sl shafts in either clubs are fantastic IMO. I think they really feel a bit different in my mind to the standard shafts. A worthy and cost effective upgrade.

I have played several different combinations of Mizunos in the past yar (cert club ho): full set of 60s then full set of Mp32s (with a couple different shafts), a combo set with the 4 and 5 iron in 60, the rest mp32s and now a full set of 60s. For reference I play to a 10 from last year but should be singles next revision.

Anyway, here is my take on the two sets: The 32s look hot, each time I went to get a set, I just couldnt get away from the look. The reality for me is that slightly off center hits would still go very straight but I would lose enough distance to miss greens and cost myself strokes. The mp32s are the most accurate irons I have ever hit. I dont need a lot of side spin correction and tend to hit very straight but if you hit one off the sweet spot, the difference, in the end was too great a penalty to play over the course of a round.

The long irons are certainly easier to launch in the mp60s and from address they both look very similar to my eye. It is hard to tell any differences in offset between the two in a double blind. The pw is too bulky but I had to get over that.

I guess it comes down to your normal miss. I know for some, the difference between the two will be minimal. When I first switched back to all 32s, I felt the same way but the stats dont lie. I hit more gir with the 60s. Again may be an all mental thing.

As for the cut muscle not being as effective in the 60s, I think the poster was remarking that the cavity already took away a large amount of material so placing the cut inside would have less of an effect compared to the 32 where there is much less perimeter weighting and the cut moves more material.

The Sl shafts in either clubs are fantastic IMO. I think they really feel a bit different in my mind to the standard shafts. A worthy and cost effective upgrade.

Very nice review. Can I ask if you are considering playing the 32s in the short irons? I like the 60s as well but am thinking of maybe going 7-pw in the 32s and then 6 iron up in the 60s. You mentioned you tried these kinds of setup. What made you go all 60s? I could easily see myself playing at least 8, 9 and PW in the 32s, as these are easier to hit and keep the ball down a bit. Do you notice the short irons going too high in the 60s?

919THI 11.5° / 1° open
929hs 20° / dead square
775hs 21° & 24° & 27°
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 6-pw
Ping Sydney 33"

I was professionally fitted for Mizuno irons. I hit the MP-32's higher, longer and more consistent than the MP-60's. I hit the sweet spot more with the MP-32's. My testing data depicted this. I found this hard to believe so we went through the fitting twice. Again, same results. I agree the MP-60's design is more forgiving than the MP-32. But for me, the MP-32's are the better club for I am making better contact. Unless I went through this fitting process I would of never of believed it.

In conclusion, what is the best for one golfer may not be the best for another golfer. Get fitted and see what the data tells you.

I did play a combo with just the 4 and 5. I thought about just extending the combo but my ball flight wasnt that much higher in the short irons and I could knock it down when I needed to so I am going to stick with the full set esp with the DG shafts. My only real concern is the pitching wedge but we'll see.

I imagine other shafts might cause the short 60s to balloon but these seem okay esp as the greens firm up this summer.

At the end of the day, I didnt feel like I picked up anything getting another combo other than the 32s look better. I feel as though I have the same level on control with both and sooner or later having a forgiving short iron may save a few yards.

But like the previous poster said, some people will hit one better than the other so fitting needs to be done. I think for alot of people they wont give up much control with the 60s and may find them slightly more helpful

Tried the 735's when I was fitted for the MP-60's. The 735's don't have as much feedback as the Mizuno's - plus I found that when you hit the sweet spot on the 60's you knew it - no "butter" feel with the 735's. They just seemed to be "clunky" vs the Mizzies....

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
Snell MTB-X

I compared MP-60 & MP-32 myself and lost sleep over the decision. I just received a set of MP-32 (4-PW) and wedges and I love them! The flighted rifle shafts have really won me over.

They are surprisingly more forgiving than expected and the feel, look and crispness won me over MP-60. I have only had my set for a couple weeks and I find when I put a good swing on it, I am surprised at the ball flight and results. The ball flight in the wind is really strong. I have had more birdes over 36 holes than I have over a few months. Yes, I, and my swing, were ready for a new set.

I am sure both set will satisfy, but that is my experience.

Cheers.

• TaylorMade SIM Max (12°, GD Tour AD IZ 6 S)
  • TBD - 7w
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 4h (22°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 5h (25°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • Titleist T300 (6-G, SteelFiber i110cw R)
  • Titleist SM9 (52°-12F, 58°-10S, Steelfiber i110cw R)
  • Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K (Double Wide Stoke Lab Red)
  • ProV1x

• 10 months later...

I wanted to add a quick update and reversal of my earlier opinions.

Unable to stop myself (yes, I have discovered that I am a closet club ho), I purchased a set of 32's. My son made the golf team and I "dontated" my MP-60's to him. When opportunity knocks....

Well, glad I made the switch - just wish I'd done it sooner. These clubs are in fact as easy, if not easier to hit as the 60's. It makes me wonder why the 60's are in the Mizuno line-up in the first place. I found the feel of the 32's to be better (ie, more buttery), the trajectory to be a little higher, and as others have pointed out the accuracy is better.

My biggest fear was being unable to hit the 3 or 4 irons. Not to worry - these actually hit better than the 60's IMO.

For anyone loosing sleep over this decision (I was one of you too), I'd go with the 32's.

Srixon Z785 6-P
PXG 0211 4h & 5h
Mizuno T 56/58/60
PXG 0341 Proto 3w
Titleist 909 5w
Snell MTB-X

Played both sets the last year. The 60's are a larger head but not that much more forgiving to make up for the pluses of the MP 32's.

Overall the MP 32's have less offset, better feel, better short irons for chipping. If you can play the 60's then you can play the 32's. If anything I would suggest a MP 60 4 and 5 iron and the rest of the set in MP 32.

If however you are leaning towards the MP 60 simply from the forgiveness advantage I would recommend buying the Titleist 755's or Srixon 1 506 or Taylormade R7 TP, as these sets are going to provide the noticeable amount of forgiveness that you need but are still considered a "players club".