2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff Ci7

The new Ci7 iron draws its inspiration from the award-winning Ci6, and improves upon it. It combines a tour-driven mid-size shape with a greater level of forgiveness for maximum playability. A great iron for the player that requires slightly more forgiveness.

The new Ci7 feaures a mid-size head preferred by most golfers, delivering the look of a tour iron with the forgiveness of an oversized iron. Its advanced weight distribution creates high MOI and maximum forgiveness.

* Central notch accentuates heel/toe perimeter weighting for increased MOI

* Thin face delivers maximum power

* Undercut cavity for greater head stability

* Elastomeric paint in cavity reduces vibration by 1/3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this elsewhere on the forum. Being there isn't a review yet I'll post here as well.

As you can see I just joined GolfWRX. I have been reading here for some time. Recently I bought a set of Ci7 irons. They are replacing, if they pass the test, a set of X-14 pro series Callaway irons. I love the Callaway’s but I don’t play as often as I used to and need something a tick more forgiving. I choose the Ci7’s based of some internet searching and what not. Long story short I am pretty impressed. They feel really good and I can work them when I want. I do have to try harder to turn the ball where the Callaway’s needed very little encouragement to do so. The long irons are a tick shorter than the x-14’s, the middle irons are the same and the short irons a tick longer. Most of the difference is due to a slightly higher ball flight. I haven’t played much with these but am encouraged that they will take up permanent residency in my bag. I choose them for the traditional look and medium size. I was a little worried the shaft would be too soft but I think it is ok. I would compare it in between the 6.0 rifle and the 5.5 rifle. I really like the short irons. I have found more pins lately and enjoy their feel. I am currently an 11 handicap that struggles with consistency. If you shopping for a player iron with a little more forgiveness you should give these a shot!

In addition I rated these in the following catagories. These are compared with my X-14 pro irons which many view as a incredible iron by any standard.

Scale 1-5 5 being the best

Accuracy 5

Forgiveness 4.5

Feel 4

Workability 4

Looks 5

Length 4

If you read Golf Magazines review I would echo their thoughts. These are pretty good sticks. When you factor in their price they are outstanding!! I am using their TX-105 shaft. The Callaway's had the 6.0 rifle in them.

For the record I am an 11 handicap that struggles with consistency (mostly off the tee). When my driver is working I'm an 8 handicap. I am a solid ball striker with a 5 iron swing speed of 84-88mph. I still love long irons and hit them off the tee regularly.

One4

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased these irons during a demo day that had all the big names there. I didnt think I would ever buy Wilson irons but boy was I surprised. These were the best feeling irons that I had ever hit. After playing with these irons for the last week (5 rounds) I could not be more happy with these. If you have a chance to demo these, you gotta try these. I cant believe the price on these irons, I would have paid what the AP2's cost. I love the ball flight on these irons, just a nice trajactory, not the high ball flight of some of the other forgiving irons. The closest thing they feel like is the Mizuno MX-25 but much hotter off the face. If you get a chance to demo these outside you gotta try these.

Got my ci7's today and took them out before dark for a quick few holes. I hit the 4 iron off the tee and really liked the ball flight. I hit 4 balls and they were all grouped within 5 yards distance and 15 yards width. I did miss one on the toe when I over did my swing and ouch. I hit a couple dozen gap wedge shots of varying length. I was pleased with the distance control even on partial shots.

The ball flight was lower with the gap wedge than my 962's with DGS300. The 4 iron was about the same as my 962 4 iron so the flighted shafts do what they say. I just played a serious round with my 962's and I was shooting darts. I shot 5 over with an OB and 2 3 putts. So, these Wilsons will have to perform to get the 962's out of the bag.

I have tried some game improvement stuff in the past and didn't like the loss of control I felt and the lack of feel. I also felt like the GI irons promoted a lack of concentration for me that got my swing loose. I think these ci7's seem like a nice combo. They do have a nice set up with minimal offset with a little thicker topline. I really thought the GW looked a little clunky but man, it has a nice feel and weight. You can feel the head and keep track of your swing without that real heavy feel of some forged stuff. The real test will come tomorrow on the course. I will report back soon with an update. So far, not too bad. :partytime2:

Just another thought. I had a chance to look at the ci6 at our BassPro shop and although I've read that they look alike from address, I don't think they really are that much alike. I thought the ci6 looked longer in the toe and shorter on the face. The ci6 didn't appeal to my eye but the ci7 is pretty easy to look at. It's not a players look but I think it is better than most of the GI irons I've looked at.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

I just bought a set of Ci7 on ebay, 310$, pretty fantastic price if you ask me for a set this good.

I hit these at golfgalaxy's simulator head to head with the X-20 Tour and the Titleist AP-1.

Selling points for the Ci7

-They look great at address, you don't see the cavity back at all when you're over the ball. I love the clean chrome and brushed face. Thin topline for a GI club compared to the others. Found the look of the AP1 a little off moreso in the bag, not at address, the Cally does look okay, a bit thick on the topline for my taste.

-Crisp, solid feel at impact with excellent sound. Pure shots flew straight or slight draw with no swing path alteration. X-20's felt a bit duller on pure shots. AP-1 felt excellent as well.

-Pronounced feedback on mishits which I really love. Toed one and it stung a little, psychology they call it negative reinforcement. That works for me, I won't toe it again.

This was a huge factor compared to the other 2 clubs, the X-20 was dull again even on the mishits. The AP1 did provide adequate feedback.

-Abilty to move the ball back and forth was easiest for me with the Ci7, draw easier than fade, and I'm okay with that. I've struggled with a fade bias in the past.

Overall, the balance of price and playability of the Ci7 makes them an incredible value in the GI group. I'll have to agree with the Golf Magazine review that these are a GI club for folks that need only a little bit of forgiveness and want a bit more control. Retail of 499 would even be a good price, but ebay strikes gold yet again. I'll take them out on the course this Saturday and fire away with confidence.

Let me start by saying that before i bought my ci7's i had hoofed the same set of tommy 845's for about 9 years. i loved those clubs but wow, worn smooth on the 7. Went to golfsmith and hit everything that remotely fit my price range, i'd already done alot of reading and research and knew that these were a great value club. Absolutely couldnt have been more impressed with these sticks, besides the 10 or so extra yards of carry each gave me they produce good spin with the short sticks. Alot of that would be expected from an upgrade but honestly didnt see it with some of the other brands. Wilson also got my clubs spec'd and shipped very quickly, less than a week. I'm past the honeymoon period and still loving these, great for mid to mid-low handi. 5 of 5 :rolleyes:

Repeat post from equipment forum...

After reading good reviews here of the Ci7's I decided to give them a try. I got my Ci7's of an Ebay member as well (Goodens sports in Chicago), for 325.00 shipped and they had to order them from Wilson (left handed stiff). Wilson actually drop shipped them direct.

So far I love the clubs. I was fitted for pings a couple of weeks ago (I'm 6'3"), and they had me in yellow dot (1/2" long, 2 degree up), so the length of the ci7 was perfect. I played a few rounds and then had them bent 2up, and now everything seems to fit perfect. I tried many different irons over the last couple of months and have to say theses are as good as anything I tested and better than most. I really like the look at address. I also agree that the 4 iron seems to be very easy to hit as well. I find the distance about the same as my old Cobra II's, but I always felt they played a little long. For the price you just can't go wrong with these clubs.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, over the past couple of weeks, I have been looking at new irons. I have demo'd quite a few contenders. Initially, I was thinking that I wanted to drop to reg flex shafts, but that's not going to happen.

I had demo'd a 6 iron in the Wilson Ci-7 (with Reg TX-105). It was OK, and certainly better for me than the X20, X20 Tour, TM Burners, or the Cobra FP's. But I was hitting my Macgregors better.

Anyway, the local bricks-n-mortar ordered a demo Ci-7 6 iron for me in the TX-105 Stiff. I tried it today......

Summary - I like it!

Detail - I found this iron to be very easy to hit well. Ball flight is high, without being too balloony - the trajectory was very nice - very constant. Feel is very, very good. These have a really pleasant softness about them, and they are very forgiving across the face. You know when you mis-hit it, but ball flight isn't overly effected.

Workability is really good. It surprised me a little. I could move the 6 iron both ways comfortably, and with some decent amount of control. More workable than my Macgregros, which have less offset, but more low weighting. Keeping it low wasn't too hard either.

Appearance is pretty pleasing. They are a bit longer in the shaft than my Macs (3/4'), so that takes a little getting used to, but once I did - the Macs felt short. Pretty easy to setup square - not too much offset, and a nice thin-ish top line. They are more forgiving than they look from address.

Distance was probably 3-5 yds more than my Macs, but it is a bit more effortless - courtesy of the longer shaft, no doubt.

Accuracy - big winner here. I hit these into a much tighter dispersion than my Macs, or any of the other irons I have tried. Really solidly straight. Even shots I was trying to work left or right were remarkably accurate for someone with my swing.

Overall - lots to like about these. I may have found a winner. I will put the 6 iron in the bag for Saturday's round, and see if I get to play a few shots on course with it. If I still like it by next week - I think a full fitting and order may be on the way. There are some good deals on them here ATM, and I will probably pickup 4-PW, plus a 4-hack, 2 hack, and a 3 wood to match.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my AP1's with the Ci7's and man what a difference. easier to hit, sets up like a players club, is very pleasant to my eye and I'm hitting them about 2 clubs longer and alot straighter than the AP1's. I never thought I'd ever play Wilson again but now I'm sold.

Has anyone hit the Wilson Fybrids or the Wilson drivers yet? Give me some feedback please.

• 3 weeks later...

Truthfully, I too had forgotten about Wilson, but when a friend I frequently play with picked up the Pi7's, I decided to give them another look. I chose the Ci7's and after playing today.....the Callaway x-18's are being kicked to the curb! Easily a club and a half longer (they are lofted strong) but they look great and feel soft when struck well. You can work the ball easily but they prefer to go straight. The only negative....the grips aren't to great. Mine felt slick today playing in the humidity of South Georgia.

Give Wilson a look.....you won't be disappointed!

• 4 months later...

I got these over the holidays so I haven't spent much time with them yet.So far they seem nice very solid on center hits and go far when pured.I immediately noticed the extra legnth in the shafts approx. half inch over standard,I will be cutting off that amount or more.I was playing Fusion irons before these and the Wilsons give me more feedback and are better around the greens.To the poster wondering about these or the Ping G5's I would consider your handicap to make your decision,my opinion is 0-12 Wilson's and if you are above 12 hcp go with the G5's....JMO

• 2 months later...

I am still using them and love them! Two guys in the office have switched as well. I bought a 3 iron to match and POUND it off the tee. The long irons are wonderful. I was surprised that these clubs are GREAT out of the rough. They don't look like they would weave their way through thick grass but they do very, very well.

I would recommend these to anyone with no reservations!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking these clubs into their second season and they're still going strong! I've absolutely fallen in love with the short irons - especially the gap wedge. I get this thing to stick and spin back up on full shots routinely. It has such a great weight and feel - on par 5's I try to lay up to 115 yards so I can hit this GW stiff. Off the tee, these are some of the best long irons I've ever played as well. The 4i is sick through the wind, a piercing trajectory and very easy to draw.

After staring at my clubs through the winter, waiting to hit them again, I'm still in awe that I only paid 310$ bucks NIB for these. Great sticks, period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These are awesome clubs! (bought 4-GW with TT TX-105 stiff steel shafts) I hit them side-by-side with several others, and went with the Ci7's. You always know where the head is, they're the perfect size (thin top line), and there really is some forgiveness. I'm a recent convert and I have to say I've never been more happy with a golf purchase in my life. One of my best purchases ever...non-golf stuff included!

They are really solid, long, and the perfect mix of workable and forgiving. Great feedback too, mishits are obvious but not glaringly and when you pure it, you'd swear they're forged. They look better in person than in any picture you've seen. Gorgeous clubs! Lightweight shafts that are solid! Performance, feel, distance, looks...one of the best irons out there...especially for the $$. They do improve your game. Simple as that. They're great.

Buy these while they're around for a song! Kudos to Wilson Staff. A lot of very good golfers and mid-'cappers too, could play better with these in the bag. All my golfing buddies, playing all different brands of irons have raved about the Ci7's when I let them swing 'em.

Burner shoppers, X-22 shoppers, i10 shoppers, AP2 shoppers, VR Split Cavity shoppers, etc...should take a long look here too!

5 stars!! - 10/10 - A+ - 2 Thumbs Up etc...........

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

hey guys,

i just got my ci7's today too,didnt really hit the ball sweet initially but after a few more shots at the range things finally came together.hope it works well on the course soon.

one thing im curious though,the ci7's i got came with the NS950GH shafts instead of the TX105 ones u guys got instead.

are they any different?

• 1 month later...

I was very shocked that these are not forged irons by the way they feel. Almost a titleist/bridgestone clicky feel. Coming from playing TM rac miura forged irons and elbow surgery I needed some forgiving irons that still would allow me to work the ball. Well I tried everything and these by far are what I needed. I love the feel of the miura's don't get me wrong but, when I am now hitting a full wedge when before I was hitting a soft 8 iron man, It makes me feel 20 again. The only issue I have are the shafts which will be changed out soon to project x. Solid sticks for a bargain price on the bay.

Driver Cobra LTDx 10.5*
Fairway Metal Titleist TSi2 

Hybrid Ping G425 22*

Irons Fourteen TC-770 4-PW 
Wedges Vokey SM9 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter Bettinardi iNOVAi 6.0

• 3 weeks later...

I've had these for about a week now, and have had one range session, and a full 18. I notice I'm a bit longer with the short irons on these, and about the same with the long irons. (I have been playing both the 2008 TM Tour Burners and the original nike slingshots this season).

At address, the club looks nearly identical in size to my Tour Burners, so it didn't take long to adjust. The club stings a bit more on toe shots than other GI irons, but that's a good thing.

Honestly, I bought them because I used to love my 1990 Hogan Edge, and the Ci7's have a similar profile, with gobs more forgiveness, and similar feel.

[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist TS2 10.5* [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]No 3 wood currently[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping G10 21* 7 wood[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Cobra Baffler XL 5H [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping i e1 irons 6-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 54.14F 58.12K DG S200[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Seamus Snowtrooper Fescue Sunday Bag[/size][/color]

I bought the ci7s' with reg, graphite shafts 6 weeeks ago and have played over 30 rounds with them. These are, by far, the best irons I have ever played. That includes my ping g2 and mizuno mx-23. They set up very well for me, are very nice looking, about 10-15 yds longer, and straight. They don't really look like a GI iron, narrow sole, little offset, fairly thin topline, but they are very forgiving. I'm even able to hit the 4 iron straighter, although with a lower ball flight than my 4 hybrid. Great clubs at a great price. under $300 on ebay.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered mine today. Can't wait to get 'em. Graphite Shaft, Stiff Flex, 1" longer and 2* upright. Hopefully I'll be able to hit them as well on the course as I did on the practice tee during the fitting.

Thank you for all of the posts and great comments about the clubs. I really hit the Di7's a ton as well but my teaching pro suggested I go with the Ci7's for the ability to work the ball a bit. (When I get good enough to do that.)