2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Nike...will they ever put a putter in Tiger's bag?

jmac13

Think the article posted tells the story. His backup is a Nike, not a Cameron.

His back-up is irrelevant.

His back-up could be a brick on a stick because he'll never play it. I can't imagine any reason Tiger would go to his back-up for all the reasons that have already been posted. That's the whole point.

It is lip service to Nike. Nothing more. The Cameron is not going anywhere.

As of today it's in the bag. Correct. But, no one is a mind reader 5 years down the road. Nicklaus didn't win every major with the Low Wizard 600. But a majority of them.

While nobody knows what is down the road, given today's state of affairs if, and that is really a big if, Tiger replaces his Scotty, it won't be with a Nike. What his "back-up" is now is irrelevant.

Not today's Nike offerings.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I;m sure they've made 100000000's of copy. Tiger's Cameron is more the shape of a Newport if you actually look at it. It also has an old Wilson shaft and a Ping grip. :D

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I;m sure they've made 100000000's of copy. Tiger's Cameron is more the shape of a Newport if you actually look at it. It also has an old Wilson shaft and a Ping grip. :D

Tiger's putter has the same step pattern that have been used in Cameron putters from the late 90's until the current Studio Select series (which has a stepless pattern).

Back in the day, Tiger's backups were Camerons. But the word is that Cameron has failed all these years to make a putter identical to what Tiger bags. It has been failure after failure to make it up to Tiger's specs. Recently, Tiger has ditched Cameron backups altogether in favor of a Nike backup (as can be seen by the interview).

Over the past couple of years, when Tiger doesn't win a major he usually says that his ballstriking was there but his putts just didn't fall. He has been struggling more with the putter lately. Tiger has also been a temperamental player and has been known to be hard on his putter. He also practices much with his putter. Word is that the sweetspot of the putter is already very beat up, and pictures of his putter have shown ding after ding.

Tiger is coming close to realizing that his putter face is no longer flat. And a remill by Cameron will only change the weight. And no backup putter is the same as his gamer.

Tiger took forever to move to 460cc, but he eventually did because he knew it was technologically better. The same can be said about his move from steel to graphite in his driver then his woods.

Now, after Tiger's latest near-miss in the last round of Torrey Pines, I think he will be switching putters soon. When he will see the replay of the last hole, he will realize that his putter is lagging behind in roll-face technology and his ball was jumping all over the place. If Tiger was using a more advanced putter, that putt would have gone in center-cut instead of jumping into the side door.

Since his Cameron is getting more beat-up than ever, and since Cameron has been nothing but a failure in making Tiger good backups, it is only a matter of time before Tiger will make the switch.

Back in the day, Tiger's backups were Camerons. But the word is that Cameron has failed all these years to make a putter identical to what Tiger bags. It has been failure after failure to make it up to Tiger's specs. Recently, Tiger has ditched Cameron backups altogether in favor of a Nike backup (as can be seen by the interview).

Over the past couple of years, when Tiger doesn't win a major he usually says that his ballstriking was there but his putts just didn't fall. He has been struggling more with the putter lately. Tiger has also been a temperamental player and has been known to be hard on his putter. He also practices much with his putter. Word is that the sweetspot of the putter is already very beat up, and pictures of his putter have shown ding after ding.

Tiger is coming close to realizing that his putter face is no longer flat. And a remill by Cameron will only change the weight. And no backup putter is the same as his gamer.

Tiger took forever to move to 460cc, but he eventually did because he knew it was technologically better. The same can be said about his move from steel to graphite in his driver then his woods.

Now, after Tiger's latest near-miss in the last round of Torrey Pines, I think he will be switching putters soon. When he will see the replay of the last hole, he will realize that his putter is lagging behind in roll-face technology and his ball was jumping all over the place. If Tiger was using a more advanced putter, that putt would have gone in center-cut instead of jumping into the side door.

Since his Cameron is getting more beat-up than ever, and since Cameron has been nothing but a failure in making Tiger good backups, it is only a matter of time before Tiger will make the switch.

Tiger will probably one day switch but, it won't' because his putter is technologically inferior or he has ill will towards Cameron. Tiger's putter is to Tiger's specs. Many people have tried to "replicate" his putter and he still goes back to the 2 Cameron putters in his rotation.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Having what you call "roll-face technology" is not going to negate the fact that 70 some golfers walked through his line throughout the course of the day partner. Do you want him to use the old tear drop putter? :D

Dude.....Whatever. Nobody is prying that money making flatstick out of his hands. How many mammoth putts did he make in the last two days? Not to mention the putt on the 72nd hole. I don't care if the damn thing snuck in the back door...it hit the bottom of the cup, period. That ball hopping around had nothing to do with "roll-face technology," it was imperfections in the putting surface. Feel free to preach your technological gospel to everyone else, but I ain't buying it.

didn't he bend his putter last year or the year before... and got sc to fix & made more back-ups. i think sc made 3-5 putters for tiger.

so his real back-up is just another scotty cameron's putter. IMO, he will never change his putter.

This is from the Mitchell Club Repair notes for 2007:

Tiger Woods

Rick Nichols, Nike's tour representative brought Tiger's putter into the workshop for fine-tuning. The putter head had become twisted to an open position in relationship to the hosel. Some how the plumber's neck of the putter got bent. Ed Mitchell locked the putter in the TourGauge® Putter Machine and using a putter-bending bar twisted the shaft socket portion of the hosel towards the face. Then using a crescent wrench, the lower portion of the hosel's vertical bar was twisted towards the face to align the hosel and face in a parallel and square relationship.

Steve Williams, Tiger's caddie reported back that Tiger approved the work and no further adjustments were needed. Ed asked Steve how the putter got misaligned and his comment was that him and Tiger were not sure. Keep in mind that the putter is milled from soft stainless steel and are subject to being bent out of spec very easily.

Tiger's putter specs are 35" length; 71-degree lie angle and 3.75 degrees of loft. He has used this putter for several years and amassed a marvelous record of victories and millions of dollars in prize money.

jick - If by "switching putters soon" you mean sometime in the next 20 years, I think you're right. :D

When Tiger says ...

"I've won a couple of Tournaments since putting it into play at the Byron Nelson in 1999...etc."

Let me translate that for you... He means "this putter is not going to be replaced any time soon if ever"

When he says "my backup putter is a Nike" That means "I have a Nike putter that I have never taken out of the plastic that if my putter was destroyed and Scotty could not get me a replacement until tomorrow, I might take it out to the practice green before a practice round and stand around and talk to some people while holding it...." Since they pay me Millions of dollars I feel obligated to say that...

Have you seen Nike's putter line up? Does ANYONE on tour use one?

Until Tiger goes into a major putting slump someday his putter is safe. Pretty hard to believe Scotty can't make TIGER an exact replica or two or three... I think those are a bunch of urban myths passed along to inflate the value of Cameron putters...

:D

Do you have some proof to backup your statements, or is your post purely speculation? With the exception of Tiger's backup supposedly being a Nike (BTW has anyone actually seen Tiger with his backup?), I seriously doubt there is any truth in your statement about Tiger switching anytime soon. Also, wasn't it his putting that got him into the playoff? Maybe he should think about replacing that 3-wood.

"I won 15 of my 18 Pro majors using a George Low Wizard 600 putter, a heel-shafted blade. I won the 1966 Masters with an Australian copy of the Wizard. I used "White Fang" -- a Bulls Eye putter painted white -- at Baltusrol in 1967. I won the 1986 Masters using that big MacGregor Response putter. Design-wise, you can't find more diversity in designs than was in those putters. The moral to this story is, don't be afraid to switch putters if all else fails." Jack Nicklaus

To think he would never switch is sophistry. If Tiger IS using that putter he has now at age 46 , Like Jack was when he won his last major...... that would be something. And could happen.

Maybe age, maybe nerves, maybe mojo...... but if something gets him to change. It will have to be bad putting. Which he really hasn't shown lately. He's not making everything like he did in 2000 & 2001--- but hardly enough to try one in competition.

Tiger won his first 2 US Ams with a Ping Anser 2 Stainless. His last Am with a Plat Newport. His First Tour Event with a Longneck, and His First Masters with a Tei3 Newport. He got one he liked in 1999, that mirrors his old Anser 2 stainless, and stuck with it.

But again, it will take bad putting for him to change.

Tiger's putter has the same step pattern that have been used in Cameron putters from the late 90's until the current Studio Select series (which has a stepless pattern).

Tiger was using an old Wilson shaft in his putters for some time. Whether or not that is still his shaft of choice, I can't say.

lets talk economics here...NIKE GOLF is a business dealing in the area of some $400 million lets say..

Cameron sold perhaps $25 milion in putters..so it does not make much sense to spend too much money on putters when it does not increse your bottom line that much?

Tiger in a Nike putter would be huge dont get me wrong, but at this still somewhat early stage in teh development of Nike Golf perhaps not worth spending millions of reasearch dollars on, especially when the guy is number one in the world making everything anyway...he would be crazy at this point to even think about a change...and I am sure all at Nike know that...all the more reason at this point not to invest too much in the putter market.

:D :D :ok:

Classic Jick right there!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Tiger has also really taken advantage of new technology in irons and has changed his lofts to keep up with the crowd. :D

I'm sure Nike would like it. But they aren't losing sleep over it. Between Driver- fairway metals. Irons-Wedges- Shoes-Shirts & Hat- Ball- Advertising. People associate Tiger with Nike. How many younger kids go after the Nike swoosh?

Easier to sell a $20.00 Hat or a $70.00 shirt to a few million people

You have hit the nail on the head. Nike Golf is not about selling clubs, especially blade irons. Club sales, including putters, will never be more than a drop in the bucket for Nike. The real sales (and profit which is what they are in business for) is in clothing, shoes, and balls.

The signs are there.

If what the forum member posted here is authentic and verifiable information about the Mitchell 2007 report, then it means Tiger does not have Cameron fix his putter anymore but the Mitchell people do it. This goes against one story I heard long time ago that Cameron had to take a long drive just to see Tiger and fix his putter. That was back in the day. Today, the Mitchell people do the adjustments (assuming that info is true and accurate).

Another thing is the US Open playoff a while ago. Tiger did not have a one-putt in his last nine holes of the tournament. This is a very alarming statistic. This may be the first major he has ever won without having a one-putt in his last nine holes. Tiger was just fortunate that he was playing against a lesser player like Mediate. If Tiger were playing a world top 20 player, he would never get away with two-putting his last 9 holes and still win. I am sure this stat will catch his attention.

Again, the switch is going to happen sooner rather than later. Word is also out that he will take a long layoff. Perhaps he might use that to re-assess his balky putter and consider switching it.

Another thing is the US Open playoff a while ago. Tiger did not have a one-putt in his last nine holes of the tournament. This is a very alarming statistic. This may be the first major he has ever won without having a one-putt in his last nine holes. Tiger was just fortunate that he was playing against a lesser player like Mediate. If Tiger were playing a world top 20 player, he would never get away with two-putting his last 9 holes and still win. I am sure this stat will catch his attention.

Again, the switch is going to happen sooner rather than later. Word is also out that he will take a long layoff. Perhaps he might use that to re-assess his balky putter and consider switching it.

:D :D :ok: Balky putter??? Alarming statistic? Did you even watch any of the broadcast? Tiger didn't hit it particularly close to the hole the last 9 or 10 holes, but for the tournament he made like 1000 feet of putts including, of course, all the clutch putts he had to make. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to change putters.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!