Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started playing 25 years ago I always wore jeans when I played. In fact I once was refused entrance into a scramble because I was wearing jeans. Today I would never wear jeans to the course. I would feel underdressed. It's funny how your perception changes with age. I would be interested in knowing the ages of the guys that said they wear jeans today to the course. As someone else had said, I wouldn't ever wear jeans to the range to hit balls.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood and Heavenwood
Callaway XR 4 Hybrid and 5 Hybrid
Callaway XR Irons 6 - AW
Callaway MD3 54S and 60W Wedges
Odyssey V-Line Tank Cruiser Counterbalance Putter

I do not understand the argument that wearing jeans shows lack of respect for the game. What a bunch of BS. I wear jeans when it is cold and I have great respect for the game. The guys that started the game did not wear khakis. Why don't you guys who claim to respect the game wear suits and ties like the old guys.

[quote name='redhawkgolf' timestamp='1290004072' post='2794765']
I do not understand the argument that wearing jeans shows lack of respect for the game. What a bunch of BS. I wear jeans when it is cold and I have great respect for the game. The guys that started the game did not wear khakis. Why don't you guys who claim to respect the game wear suits and ties like the old guys.
[/quote]

It is indeed a sad state of affairs the way our society is, with tradition and style having gone out the window in the name of "comfort". Yet, I amongst many others, find a properly tailored shirt and suit to be every bit as comfortable as "casual wear" that is now unfortunately acceptable in an office environment. But I digress.

If I could have a wool jacket tailored to have stretch and cut in a way to allow full range of motion, I'd be wearing it tomorrow. (Although that's food for thought. I should go talk to my tailor...). Of course I'd wear it with a tie in that case.

But until that's practical, the least we could do is wear proper attire. Proper golf pants, shirt tucked. Wearing compression leggings under golf pants during the colder days is warmer than jeans anyhow, less restrictive and heavy. I do not see any benefit to jeans at all.

jaiello, I'm 21.

I tend to dress for the course and conditions. My "home" course is an affordable beautiful public course. If it's colder weather, I'll wear them there. Lots of people do, including many of the mens club members. It's just relaxed. Hell, even the owner of the course wears jeans out there. Usually, its so cold I have on a wind shirt over a sweater over a polo with a winter hat. That little bit of denim that sticks out is not very noticeable. (Because I don't wear acid washed jeans from the 80's.)

I have never worn any tight-fitting, wrangler style jeans. I think the fit of the jeans matters. I do admittedly find microfiber casual/dress pants more comfortable, but when its cold, sometimes I just get tired of putting on the UA Cold Gear under the dress pants and just want to throw a pair of jeans on. My job requires business attire every day, so I like to just relax on the weekends and do my own thing and decompress. I always check course policies before I go, and the cost of the round is typically a good indication if you should wear them or not. Most higher end courses are pretty explicit about no denim anyway. Just be respectful of the course's culture. Stop looking at other mens' pants if it bothers you. ha ha...

Who cares what people wear as long as they follow club rules, that is part of the problem with the game of golf to many rules. I pay money to belong to a club to have entertainment, which means drink beer, laugh, gamble and so forth. If the club tells me to wear khakis I will, but for now I will wear whatever I want at my public track. I also respect the game and play to a 3 handicap. People shouldn't worry about what other people are wearing, just go to the course and enjoy yourself and not worry about anything else. Just be thankful that you are fortunate enough to be able to pay for a membership/green fees.

Rogue ST ls 9 Ventus Blue tr stiff
Callaway Mavrik 15 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
In search of Hybrid
Callaway apex 21 apex pro combo set 4-awΒ  $ taper stiff
Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60Tour V stiff
King Agera

nor will i wear a wifebeater.

as with the untucked thread, i'm shocked at the number of people who want to wear jeans on a golf course.

Taylormade SIM Max 10.5˚ VA VYLYN 65 Four S

Taylormade SIM Max 18˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 S

Taylormade SIM Max 22˚ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7 S

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 16˚ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4

Srixon Zx5 MkIIΒ 5-AW Β Nippon NS.Pro 950GH Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 56.10˚S  |  SM8 60.08˚ M

PXG Spitfire

Maxfli Tour

BBF&Co. TP-9

• 5 weeks later...

Gilberto Torres, who won the SF City Championship in 1973, showed up in jeans and sweatshirt. I'll never forget that.

I don't wear jeans to play golf and certainly don't mind if somebody does.

Unless they show up at a private club in them.

That's just tacky and reflects poorly on you and the member that invited you.

The course I play at do not care if you play in jeans so I do. In fact, most of the people you see, especially the older crowd, wear jeans in the winter. I work in jeans so to me they are more comfortable than wearing several layers. In summer it is shorts, untucked shirt. Yea, maybe i am a slob but i am a comfortable slob and love playing golf.

Ping G400 Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 5 Wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 4/5/6 Hybrids
Callaway Mavrik Max Irons 7-PW

Cleveland 48*, 52*, 56* CBX2 Wedges
Callaway 60* Sure Out Wedge

Odyssey Eleven Lined Putter

Titleist AVX Ball

JumboMax Ultralite XS Grips

Im in my late 20's and i would never wear jeans on the course. If your course is adjoined to a trailer park then i guess jeans are ok. I dont know how you say jeans are more comfortable when most of the guys who wear jeans on the course are wearing a 10 year old pair that is two sizes too small. Now dont get me wrong im not a Khaki pants tucked in shirt guy. i wear shorts (not jean shorts either) untill its cold then its khakis. To everyone who wears jeans you know they do sell khaki pants at Walmart, even wrangler makes them.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

[quote name='dbloom136' timestamp='1293211356' post='2857468']
Im in my late 20's and i would never wear jeans on the course. If your course is adjoined to a trailer park then i guess jeans are ok. I dont know how you say jeans are more comfortable when most of the guys who wear jeans on the course are wearing a 10 year old pair that is two sizes too small. Now dont get me wrong im not a Khaki pants tucked in shirt guy. i wear shorts (not jean shorts either) untill its cold then its khakis. To everyone who wears jeans you know they do sell khaki pants at Walmart, even wrangler makes them.
[/quote]
So...
Khakis from Walmart + untucked shirt= "Classy?"
Well-fitting jeans (that cost far more than any Walmart cheapo khakis and likely fit better) = trailer trash?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I'll be sure to relay this to the people who play in jeans at my course who pull up in their Caddies, Lexus, and Audis. :secret:

[/quote]

..says the man who references Wal-Mart as a keen place to buy clothing and has a "will golf for beer" avatar.

This site is awesome sometimes.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9Β° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9Β° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15Β° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g
Β 
Outlaw Golf Association #21

Living in Los Angeles, jeans are pretty common everywhere now...Alot are high end...I have been around golf for 35 out of 43 years and am guilty of wearing jeans to the munis near my home. I am definately not trying to disrespect the game, because its all I think about. I have about 20 pairs of shorts and 3 pair of golf pants, so it is not often I wear pants. When I go on golf outings, I don't wear jeans... I do think there are different perceptions of jeans, some are perceived as work jeans, the ones that have seen actual work and then you have nice jeans aka denim. The members here need to be a little more tolerant of peoples opinions and not sling mud at someone because they wear jeans on a course. The courses have rules for attire, and it is the courses that make the decision what is acceptable. I don't judge players by what they wear, because I have been fooled both ways...Guys looking like they are fresh off the tour that can't break 100 and some slobs that play to scratch. I'm more concerned with people repairing ball marks and slow play. Cheers

Titleist 915D4 with Matrix HM3 black tie stiff
Titleist 915f with AD DI 8s
Titleist 915h AD DI 105s
Fourteen TC 888 nippon modus 3 stiff
Fourteen RM 11 tour issue with modus
Scotty Golo, Bryon DH89, Betti Jam

[quote name='MKSmith' timestamp='1293243111' post='2858026']
Living in Los Angeles, jeans are pretty common everywhere now...Alot are high end...I have been around golf for 35 out of 43 years and am guilty of wearing jeans to the munis near my home. I am definately not trying to disrespect the game, because its all I think about. I have about 20 pairs of shorts and 3 pair of golf pants, so it is not often I wear pants. When I go on golf outings, I don't wear jeans... I do think there are different perceptions of jeans, some are perceived as work jeans, the ones that have seen actual work and then you have nice jeans aka denim. The members here need to be a little more tolerant of peoples opinions and not sling mud at someone because they wear jeans on a course. The courses have rules for attire, and it is the courses that make the decision what is acceptable. I don't judge players by what they wear, because I have been fooled both ways...Guys looking like they are fresh off the tour that can't break 100 and some slobs that play to scratch. I'm more concerned with people repairing ball marks and slow play. Cheers
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^a wise indvidual is among us^^^^^^^ Thank you.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9Β° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9Β° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15Β° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g
Β 
Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='bjdrivers' timestamp='1293241592' post='2858013']
No way. Jeans make you look like a weekend hacker. My wife laughs at me because I dress nicer to play golf than I do at work or church.
[/quote]
Mmm... pretty sure a bad swing and a high score still qualify people as "hackers" moreso than their pants.
If it takes you an eternity to play a round, I'll also label you a hacker.

I have worn jeans but don't for the most part because their a little stiff i like dockers shorts or pants the best dockers nice pants...:good:

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 HybridΒ 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

LOL. NO! russian_roulette.gif

Β 

Save your jeans for the bar or at the most, the range.

Β 

I am guilty tho. Friend snapped a shot of me warming up the ONE day I wore jeans. I had nothing else to wear at the time and he wanted to play last min. I looked terrible.

Β 

Screenshot2010-12-06at42935PM.png

*TheΒ NEΒ Florida GolfΒ Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

No jeans on the course!
Also if you are wearing jean shorts anywhere, go get them and burn them! Jean shorts are the absolute worst.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S VelocoreΒ 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1293233434' post='2857921']
[/quote]
So...
Khakis from Walmart + untucked shirt= "Classy?"
Well-fitting jeans (that cost far more than any Walmart cheapo khakis and likely fit better) = trailer trash?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I'll be sure to relay this to the people who play in jeans at my course who pull up in their Caddies, Lexus, and Audis. :secret:
[/quote]

You obviously didnt get the Joke so let me say this SLOWLY. I was saying people who wear jeans to golf most likely shop at wal-mart. and i am impressed you know so many people in high places who drive such nice cars. I am 27 and my girlfriend is 26 we both drive Audi's not really a big deal.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost