Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you wear jeans or not, but it does look ridiculous on a golf course. I am also very surprised with the number of people here wearing jeans. And for the guy who said khaki's and dockers are out of style, sorry man, but that is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. That's like saying polo's or t-shirts are out of style. They are not trendy, they are a part of life.

Mr. Wolfe

[quote name='RWK' timestamp='1224877218' post='1305410']
NO. In the UK, a country where yob opinion holds sway, one of the few places left where style, consideration,manners and tradition are practiced is the golf club. However there are now private clubs who will abandon a hundred years of standards in order to get new members, and that included allowing jeans, collerless shirts, trainers etc. Hang on to your club standards-once they are gone you won't get them back.
[/quote]

I'm with you. I don't want to see anything but white at Wimbledon, and I would surely hate to see some slob in jeans, even at a muni. Driving range? Maybe, but the course? C'mon. Even from a performance aspect they're heavier.

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1293737922' post='2866354']
However, I always wear jeans and can not understand the point of them being extremely uncomfortable?? Go out and spend a few more dollars and get a good pair of jeans that fit. I could play 18 in my jeans if I had to, just can't at most clubs and not a fan of the look. The pic of MuLuman83 above looks fine to me, those seem like jeans with some style. I do hit balls in the fall/winter at a public range in jeans and have never been uncomfortable?
[/quote]
I have to agree with this. What the hell kind of jeans are you people wearing that are so uncomfortable you could not imagine playing a round of golf in them? My jeans are just as comfortable as my khakis are, and are no more restrictive of my movements as any golf pants I own.

[quote name='redhawkgolf' timestamp='1294243965' post='2876385']
In my area people wear what they want, and no one cares. We do not even care...
[/quote]
Ok, no one cares.

Is this better than people caring? I don't think so.

If enough people stop caring (which does not make them snobs, BTW) we can pretty much kiss it goodbye.

I haven't read every page but just reading the last couple of pages I never knew people had such deep feelings about pants...

But to try and defend the jeans arguement. I am a GenY (actually a cusper) baby and we have a different understanding of what is dress appropriate. Jeans to us are like slacks to our parents.

A year or two ago there was an article in the wall street journal about job interviews and how they have changed. There were examples of tech companies who were denying or rescheduling interviews when applicants were coming in suits. They asked them to come back dressed down and they would interview potential candidates in jeans. Now I understand that is not the norm, in my line of work if you come in jeans I will not interview you. But it shows how perceptions are changing around something like jeans.

Not all jeans are heavy anymore. Actually I have a few pairs that are just as thin and light weight as my slacks.

I have been "guilty" of wearing jeans to a golf course but an everytime dress code. If I am playing at a local muni course and depending on the weather I will wear jeans. But on nicer courses you will never catch me wearing jeans. But also alot of courses still have rules about no jeans.

If you want to be closed minded about jeans, you are entitled to your opinion. But hate it or love it, jeans are now considered "dressy".

How about 100% polyester jeans:

%21CBkpZOQCWk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21joE0Du4sfM8BNIPwgOM2%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

I'm going to have my seamstress put some nice chocolate colored piping down the sides.

Mr. Roeper called and wants his wardrobe back. Those are hideous.

If THAT is what passes as "acceptable" to you jeans snobs...my goodness! Try again. The FABRIC alone is not what makes something hideous. Tells me you guys have no clue on fashion. WOW.

How about 100% polyester jeans:

%21CBkpZOQCWk%7E$%28KGrHqR,%21joE0Du4sfM8BNIPwgOM2%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

I'm going to have my seamstress put some nice chocolate colored piping down the sides.

Mr. Roeper called and wants his wardrobe back. Those are hideous.

If THAT is what passes as "acceptable" to you jeans snobs...my goodness! Try again. The FABRIC alone is not what makes something hideous. Tells me you guys have no clue on fashion. WOW.

Heel big boy. I was having some fun in a thread that I remember was already started when I first joined this forum over a year ago and it's still getting posts. Although I rarely wear jeans on a course, I will if there is no code, but wouldn't be caught dead in the baby blues. And I think Mr. Rodgers wants his wardrobe back too.

I am surprised by the amount of people who do wear jeans on the course. I don't really think less of anyone for doing so, but having grown up working at a country club, it has never even crossed my mind. It seems to me that even if a fashion etiquette issue didn't exist, jeans would not be very comfortable unless they were very loose fitting.

913D AD BB 6s
913 Fd 15 & 18 Blue S+ 82
Cobra S3 Pro
Vokey 52, 56, 60k
Ping Milled Anser

[quote name='RJD' timestamp='1294360790' post='2879374']
I am surprised by the amount of people who do wear jeans on the course. I don't really think less of anyone for doing so, but having grown up working at a country club, it has never even crossed my mind. It seems to me that even if a fashion etiquette issue didn't exist, jeans would not be very comfortable unless they were very loose fitting.
[/quote]

I think a country club would be different than a muni in terms of dress code. Some courses are actually adapting their dress code. I saw a local course that stated designer jeans allowed but no other jeans. I am not sure how they would regulate that

[quote name='hogan64' timestamp='1294365369' post='2879554']
I'm quite offended when I see someone on the links whilst not wearing their jacket and tie. Social misfits frankly. Here here my good boy! Bully!
[/quote]

Bully, sir! Good form!
Now around the same time people are referring to as "traditional," children worked in factories and woman couldn't vote... Also, some people might not have had the right skin tone to play most courses. Is change really that bad? Again, no jeans for me, but thats just because I would rather wear basketball shorts with my XXXL football jersey. I want to be ahead of the curve :)

[quote name='jkmacguru' timestamp='1294378911' post='2879980']
[quote name='hogan64' timestamp='1294365369' post='2879554']
I'm quite offended when I see someone on the links whilst not wearing their jacket and tie. Social misfits frankly. Here here my good boy! Bully!
[/quote]

Bully, sir! Good form!
Now around the same time people are referring to as "traditional," children worked in factories and woman couldn't vote... Also, some people might not have had the right skin tone to play most courses. Is change really that bad? Again, no jeans for me, but thats just because I would rather wear basketball shorts with my XXXL football jersey. I want to be ahead of the curve :)
[/quote]

As long as they are not wrinkled.

[quote name='hogan64' timestamp='1294364883' post='2879537']
Jeans on the golf course! OMG! Have you no decency? Wear something appropriate like this:
[/quote]

Thanks for blacking out their eyes to protect their identies. Nobody wants to be associated with a crime so ugly.

Ping G20 Tour S Flex
Ping G25 5-UW Silver Dot, red/gray NDMC
Cleveland Halo 19* 2h
Callaway 54*, 56*, 58*
TM Corza Ghost

In my mind, jeans and golf don't go together. If I see you at the course and, you are wearing jeans, will I look down upon you? Certainly not.
Will I drop a comment? I will not miss a perfect opportunity to keep my mouth shut.
It seems to me that the only sports that still have a true dress code are team sports: Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc...!
The only non-negotiable R&A, PGA dress code left is the "long pants" and, that applies only to the men, in tounaments only.

I need a reality check:

The girls now have their own clothing line (design) especially in tennis and it's only a matter of time before it spills into golf by a storm.
They don't seem to care what shows as long as it's not to much of a deviding natural line.
If it hasn't been done yet, I'm looking forward to mini tank tops & booty jhorts.

Although I have written a few comments in this thread that I am now contradicting it seems, I still maintain my personnal choice of not including jeans and golf in the same context.

So there you have it: Reality check!!!

I play SRIXON woods, PING irons/wedges/putter, SUNMOUNTAIN H2N0 bag/cart, umbrella. You game whatever you want, it doesn't make me better than you by any means...Just different! :deadhorse: Hope to have put the unicorn to sleep :bigwhack: !!!!!!!!! :lock:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)