Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KGcanada' timestamp='1301585734' post='3105711']
if you wear jeans your a chop....and i will hit in to you allllllll day long
[/quote]

You hit into me once, I will consider it an accident and wave at you when you apologize (as you SHOULD). You do it twice, I consider it a threat against my life and will react appropriately.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1301673028' post='3109529']
[quote name='KGcanada' timestamp='1301585734' post='3105711']
if you wear jeans your a chop....and i will hit in to you allllllll day long
[/quote]

You hit into me once, I will consider it an accident and wave at you when you apologize (as you SHOULD). You do it twice, I consider it a threat against my life and will react appropriately.
[/quote]

oh man this could get good. let me get my popcorn

[quote name='amac01' timestamp='1301774224' post='3112648']
Wearing jeans on the course is filth, akin to skiing in jeans, its just plain wrong.
[/quote]

Wow, way to make your first post a real contributor. Lets see, now I can add filth to being a low-life ,redneck, wife-beating hillbilly chop. All because I wear jeans on the course.

I must be a really rotten person to do something so vile...I think I'm going to change my ways.....no more fixing ball marks (mine and several others) on each green, no more replacing divots, no more fast play....no I'm going to forget all that and just stop wearing jeans on the course. Then I'll be wonderful.

Geesh, I've got to stop reading this thread!!:russian_roulette:

Was just in Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) for a golf trip.... Every slow, foul-mouthed group had jeans (and Iowa Hawkeye gear on :))

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

IMO jeans are kind of disrespectful to the course and game. I applaud courses that have set rules as to what you wear. Me personally? I don't even wear shorts on course and I live in Tucson. Jeans were originally intended for dirty work and golf has a rich heritage of respect and tradition. Now I'm not saying we need to wear knickers and dress like Walter Hagan or anything but for me a good rule of thumb is if you don't see it on tour, why would you wear it on your course?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1301858491' post='3114848']
IMO jeans are kind of disrespectful to the course and game. I applaud courses that have set rules as to what you wear. Me personally? I don't even wear shorts on course and I live in Tucson. Jeans were originally intended for dirty work and golf has a rich heritage of respect and tradition. Now I'm not saying we need to wear knickers and dress like Walter Hagan or anything but for me a good rule of thumb is if you don't see it on tour, why would you wear it on your course?
[/quote]

I see people on Tour wearing chicken yellow satin pants, or even worst, John Daly's pants. Does the fact they are on the Tour makes that acceptable? I personally differ. Are jeans better than skinny fuscia pants?

So, just to keep the thread going... for those who wouldn't wear a pair of jeans to save their lives while playing....

You say pants are better than jeans, because they are "classier" and more "elegant"....so...

...if you had to choose between $9.99 K-mart brownish pants which definitely don't look good at all, and a pair of very well tailored hand-made Sass&Bass jeans (for those of you who don't know who S&B are, let's exchange the name to Alexander McQueen or Giorgio Armani) fitting you perfectly, would you still "keep up" with your pants? Would you keep up with your idea of saying trousers are "far more elegant"?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1301847208' post='3114512']
Wearing jeans on the course is filth, akin to skiing in jeans, its just plain wrong.
[/quote]

Wow, way to make your first post a real contributor. Lets see, now I can add filth to being a low-life ,redneck, wife-beating hillbilly chop. All because I wear jeans on the course.

I must be a really rotten person to do something so vile...I think I'm going to change my ways.....no more fixing ball marks (mine and several others) on each green, no more replacing divots, no more fast play....no I'm going to forget all that and just stop wearing jeans on the course. Then I'll be wonderful.

[/quote]
Wow you want a big pat on the back for doing all the things any decent member would do out of respect for the course and other members, now if you could get rid of the jeans you would be ok, don't be hard on yourself mate, I know many nice red necks!!

[quote name='xamilo' timestamp='1301860303' post='3114899']
[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1301858491' post='3114848']
[/quote]

I see people on Tour wearing chicken yellow satin pants, or even worst, John Daly's pants. Does the fact they are on the Tour makes that acceptable? I personally differ. Are jeans better than skinny fuscia pants?

So, just to keep the thread going... for those who wouldn't wear a pair of jeans to save their lives while playing....

You say pants are better than jeans, because they are "classier" and more "elegant"....so...

...if you had to choose between $9.99 K-mart brownish pants which definitely don't look good at all, and a pair of very well tailored hand-made Sass&Bass jeans (for those of you who don't know who S&B are, let's exchange the name to Alexander McQueen or Giorgio Armani) fitting you perfectly, would you still "keep up" with your pants? Would you keep up with your idea of saying trousers are "far more elegant"?
[/quote]

I think you are taking what I said a little out of context. I find the clothes that Daly, Poulter and Fowler very disrespectful to the course. If people are talking more about the bright yellow/orange/pink/purple/name your color carefully constructed outfit vice the way you play, you might want to rethink a wardrobe change. Keep it simple stupid. Can't go wrong with a pair of black pants and a whatever color shirt. You don't need flash colors and matching hues with the logo on your hat matching the laces on your shoes. I still wouldn't wear a $1000 pair of Adidas Golf Jeans (if they made them) vice a pair of cheap, thrift store black slacks. Personal preference though I guess.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='amac01' timestamp='1301861416' post='3114943']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1301847208' post='3114512']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Wow you want a big pat on the back for doing all the things any decent member would do out of respect for the course and other members, now if you could get rid of the jeans you would be ok, don't be hard on yourself mate, I know many nice red necks!!
[/quote]

You're right, I don't deserve a pat on the back for doing the things that should be done on the course. Much like I shouldn't be called filth for wearing jeans. Trust me, I would never be your mate if if you have that kind of attitude. I enjoy the company of much less stuck-up snobs such as yourself on the course. And rest assured, none of the people I play with (or myself) are rednecks...but give me them over people with attitudes like yours.

At this point I think the poll results says it all

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1301934815' post='3117263']
At this point I think the poll results says it all
[/quote]

And you know what, I really do respect the results of the poll. A vast majority of people don't, or won't wear jeans on the course. And I completely respect that opinion. I just cannot for the life of me understand the rigidness and hard feelings of some people about those who do wear jeans. It really doesn't make them less quality human beings (or golfers for that matter). I just don't get why it's such a huge deal what someone else is wearing.

And I think it's time I joined the silent minority on this issue.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1301950290' post='3118321']
I played a round with one of the owners of my home course last week (3 brothers own the course). Can you guess what HE was wearing during that round? I'll give you a hint, it was jeans.
[/quote]

Luckily for you guys KGCanada wasn't behind you, he'd have been hitting into you chops all day lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng! :cheesy::tease::blind:

I cant tell you the last time i didn't wear jeans and a tee shirt on the course. Just what i like to wear from day to day. I am not getting dressed up to go play golf. it is a great game, but it is just a game.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

A quick question for those that do wear jeans on the course. Do you find it snobbish that a course would require you to wear khaki style pants (or shorts) and a collard shirt?

If so then why?
If not then why not?

I have stated it before and I will state it again, jeans were invented as dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class. Those kind of clothes do not belong on a golf course. Would you wear a pair of oil stained jeans with tons of rips out there?

We are all aware that golf is rich in tradition, something that I absolutely love about this game because it separates us from the other sports. Now we also know that knickers and coats are not worn on course anymore but one should agree that a nice pair of golf pants and a polo shirt is probably the next best thing to help keep that dignified and respectable look as well as provide flexibility and comfortability.

I am torn at people wearing jeans and a tee shirt on course. Part of me doesn't care but the other half says that if you cannot do something simple like dress appropriately then you probably won't be able to be bothered with such things like 'rules' and 'etiquette'. Just my 2 pesos though.

-Shipwreck

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1301981081' post='3120977']
A quick question for those that do wear jeans on the course. Do you find it snobbish that a course would require you to wear khaki style pants (or shorts) and a collard shirt?

If so then why?
If not then why not?

I have stated it before and I will state it again, jeans were invented as dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class. Those kind of clothes do not belong on a golf course. Would you wear a pair of oil stained jeans with tons of rips out there?

We are all aware that golf is rich in tradition, something that I absolutely love about this game because it separates us from the other sports. Now we also know that knickers and coats are not worn on course anymore but one should agree that a nice pair of golf pants and a polo shirt is probably the next best thing to help keep that dignified and respectable look as well as provide flexibility and comfortability.

I am torn at people wearing jeans and a tee shirt on course. Part of me doesn't care but the other half says that if you cannot do something simple like dress appropriately then you probably won't be able to be bothered with such things like 'rules' and 'etiquette'. Just my 2 pesos though.

-Shipwreck
[/quote]

I think your a little mixed up...
Rich in tradition? No, that would be FOR the RICH :rolleyes:
"dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class"?- How's your pompous?

Dress appropriately? Appropriately for whom? So your saying if someone wears jeans he couldn't be bothered with "Rules" or "Etiquette"?

You Sir are perfect for Bushwood...don't forget your loufer.....

I don't wear jeans on the course, and I don't go to fancy golf courses like Bushwood either....wouldn't want to because it would involve pompous losers that judge you by how much $ you spent on your clothes........
Bah....and folks like you talk about etiquette.

If so then why?
If not then why not?

-Shipwreck
[/quote]
I dont find it snobbish at all. if a club wants to set and enforce a rule of no denim allowed, I have no problem with that and if I play there, I will respect the rule. Probably 90% of the rounds I play, I am wearing khaki or black golf pants or shorts. If I am at work, and have the chance to cut out early to play golf, and happen to be wearing jeans, I'm not going to drive back to my house and change clothes when my home course allows me to play in jeans. if I'm at home and getting ready to go play golf, I'm not going to put jeans on and head out.

The polo style shirt was invented for tennis by Lacoste. Should it not be allowed on the course either because it was not originally made for golf?

Why SHOULD one agree that "golf pants" and a polo are required to keep a "dignified and respectable look"? I dont agree with that at all, nor should I have to. I always wear a collared shirt (be it a mock turtleneck or a standard polo style shirt), even at muni goat ranches with no dress code, but I have no problem with jeans.

And I'll ask you a question that I have asked several times in this thread but have yet to get an answer. What kind of jeans, and what size (in relation to the size of pants you typically wear) are you wearing that they inhibit movement? I have never experienced this phenomenon of jeans restricting movement and flexibility. My jeans fit similar to my slacks, and neither restrict movement in any way. Perhaps if they were a few sizes too small, but I've never been into tight pants.

Another question for you - what sports are NOT rich in tradition, as far as their relative traditions are concerned? I always hear that about golf, and how it separates us from other sports, but ALL sports are rich in tradition, regrading their own traditions. Golf is ever evolving with the times and the availability of technology, just as other sports. Actually, baseball is probably closer to the same game that was first played than golf is in today's times. With the technological advances in golf equipment and the availability of the game itself to more people, I would say it is FAR from the traditions of old. The only real equipment advances in baseball are shoes, catchers gear, batting helmets, and padding in the gloves.

I would think that the course owner is the one who determines what is "appropriate", and if they have deemed jeans to be appropriate, than so be it. What does one's attire have to do with their ability and desire to follow the rules of golf? Does a change of wardrobe magically change morals and personal standards? Is it not the same brain in the skull of the person wearing slacks one day and jeans the next?

[quote name='muzz' timestamp='1301994221' post='3121149']

If so then why?
If not then why not?

-Shipwreck
[/quote]

I think your a little mixed up...
Rich in tradition? No, that would be FOR the RICH :rolleyes:
"dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class"?- How's your pompous?

Dress appropriately? Appropriately for whom? So your saying if someone wears jeans he couldn't be bothered with "Rules" or "Etiquette"?

You Sir are perfect for Bushwood...don't forget your loufer.....

I don't wear jeans on the course, and I don't go to fancy golf courses like Bushwood either....wouldn't want to because it would involve pompous losers that judge you by how much $ you spent on your clothes........
Bah....and folks like you talk about etiquette.
[/quote]

I see that reading comprehension is not your strength there buddy. With the eloquence of a drunk eating his own puke you stumbled straight the the point completely oblivious.

You very cleverly quoted only a small part of my jeans comment, the part you felt was 'pompous'. Did you even read it all? Here is my quote including the part you happened to leave out:

[quote] I have stated it before and I will state it again, jeans were invented as dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class.[/quote]

Don't believe me? Here is a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans"]link for the history of jeans[/url] for you to educate yourself with.

Now golf has been around for a little longer than a hundred years correct? And like I said it is rich in tradition, something you apparently scoff at. Yet you give no rebuttal to that point I have made. Why? Anyway as I was saying, golf has been around a decently long time and yes at the beginning it was mainly a sport of noble men and people of wealth and status. Things have obviously changed regarding who can play it (something I don't think anyone can disagree with) but you think that just because they want to keep the noble elegance (in clothing) around that makes them pompous? Maybe baseball players should start wearing jeans or shorts out on the field. Or basketball players with khakis.

Every sport you play has a certain kind of 'uniform' that one is somewhat expected to wear. Why should golf be any different? They are made this way for comfort, ease of movement and to look nice. I don't care if you are wearing a $1000 pair of designer jeans with a $2000 designer shirt, you will look out of place next to someone wearing a $10 pair of slacks and a $5 golf shirt.

I am not pompous by any means but I do enjoy taking what I do serious. I also do not wear shorts on the course either but I guess that's pompous and arrogant of me isn't it.

I could care less about courses like Bushwood or whatever. My course does have an attire code so unfortunately those who wear jeans would not be permitted. Let me ask you this then. Even though you don't wear jeans and people like me are obviously pompous and somehow lack etiquette (I have never found anything about worrying about someones clothes in the Golf Etiquette book so maybe you can help me), what do you say to clubs like Augusta? That is the cream of the crop of the golf world yet they have a rich history (not to be confused with history of rich people) that doesn't date back too terribly far, yet their regulations far exceed that of pretty much any course in the world. But I guess that makes them pompous right? I'm sure you wouldn't be caught dead playing there (even if you could).

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1302010183' post='3121486']

I dont find it snobbish at all. if a club wants to set and enforce a rule of no denim allowed, I have no problem with that and if I play there, I will respect the rule. Probably 90% of the rounds I play, I am wearing khaki or black golf pants or shorts. If I am at work, and have the chance to cut out early to play golf, and happen to be wearing jeans, I'm not going to drive back to my house and change clothes when my home course allows me to play in jeans. if I'm at home and getting ready to go play golf, I'm not going to put jeans on and head out.

The polo style shirt was invented for tennis by Lacoste. Should it not be allowed on the course either because it was not originally made for golf?

Why SHOULD one agree that "golf pants" and a polo are required to keep a "dignified and respectable look"? I dont agree with that at all, nor should I have to. I always wear a collared shirt (be it a mock turtleneck or a standard polo style shirt), even at muni goat ranches with no dress code, but I have no problem with jeans.

And I'll ask you a question that I have asked several times in this thread but have yet to get an answer. What kind of jeans, and what size (in relation to the size of pants you typically wear) are you wearing that they inhibit movement? I have never experienced this phenomenon of jeans restricting movement and flexibility. My jeans fit similar to my slacks, and neither restrict movement in any way. Perhaps if they were a few sizes too small, but I've never been into tight pants.

Another question for you - what sports are NOT rich in tradition, as far as their relative traditions are concerned? I always hear that about golf, and how it separates us from other sports, but ALL sports are rich in tradition, regrading their own traditions. Golf is ever evolving with the times and the availability of technology, just as other sports. Actually, baseball is probably closer to the same game that was first played than golf is in today's times. With the technological advances in golf equipment and the availability of the game itself to more people, I would say it is FAR from the traditions of old. The only real equipment advances in baseball are shoes, catchers gear, batting helmets, and padding in the gloves.

I would think that the course owner is the one who determines what is "appropriate", and if they have deemed jeans to be appropriate, than so be it. What does one's attire have to do with their ability and desire to follow the rules of golf? Does a change of wardrobe magically change morals and personal standards? Is it not the same brain in the skull of the person wearing slacks one day and jeans the next?
[/quote]
Thank you for the reply and I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

About Lacoste inventing the polo shirt etc. I see your point but the shirt itself was widely adopted by many sports because of their comfort and because they are more 'dressy' than a plain tee shirt. It was also invented to satisfy a sport, not work. Jeans however are still used as dirty work clothing the world over.

Like I said in my last part, I am torn between the whole jeans on a course thing. Half of me doesn't care yet half of me does. It's a never ending battle. And I am not stating a fact of 'if you can't dress this way you don't care' I am just saying partially what I think. It's like a job, if you cannot be here on time or in proper uniform then you might not be serious about it. That's just the way I think and I believe it is largely due my military service. Not making an excuse for it though.

I have met total A-holes that dress in the nicest golf attire, folks that wouldn't fix a divot or repair a ball mark if you paid them, just as I have met the nicest people in jeans and tees that go out of their way to keep the course looking nice. But if 2 people were standing next to each other, one in golf attire and the other in jeans, I would go with the golf attire folk more often then not because it appears (not a definite) that he is more serious about the game and the rules/etiquette that goes with it.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302012200' post='3121605']
[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1302010183' post='3121486']

[/quote]

About Lacoste inventing the polo shirt etc. I see your point but the shirt itself was widely adopted by many sports because of their comfort and because they are more 'dressy' than a plain tee shirt. It was also invented to satisfy a sport, not work. Jeans however are still used as dirty work clothing the world over.

Like I said in my last part, I am torn between the whole jeans on a course thing. Half of me doesn't care yet half of me does. It's a never ending battle. And I am not stating a fact of 'if you can't dress this way you don't care' I am just saying partially what I think. It's like a job, if you cannot be here on time or in proper uniform then you might not be serious about it. That's just the way I think and I believe it is largely due my military service. Not making an excuse for it though.

I have met total A-holes that dress in the nicest golf attire, folks that wouldn't fix a divot or repair a ball mark if you paid them, just as I have met the nicest people in jeans and tees that go out of their way to keep the course looking nice. But if 2 people were standing next to each other, one in golf attire and the other in jeans, I would go with the golf attire folk more often then not because it appears (not a definite) that he is more serious about the game and the rules/etiquette that goes with it.
[/quote]
Would you wear jeans to church, would you wear shorts to a business meeting, would you wear a suit working in the yard, would you wear a kilt bungee jumping, if your answer is yes to any of these then that ringing in your ears may be banjos in the distance.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1302020882' post='3122097']
Would you wear jeans to church, would you wear shorts to a business meeting, would you wear a suit working in the yard, would you wear a kilt bungee jumping, if your answer is yes to any of these then that ringing in your ears may be banjos in the distance.
[/quote]

I don't go to church, it would depend on the business and the venue (on a beach in a tropical setting, perhaps, but most likely not, depending on the client/vendor I was meeting with and the purpose of the meeting), I don't wear a suit anywhere I'm not required to, so no, and I don't own a kilt (nor have I ever been bungee jumping). I have to ask though, what do any of those have to do with playing golf (aside from many business deals made on the golf course), on a course where management/owners have deemed jeans to be acceptable attire for their course?

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302012200' post='3121605']

[/quote]Fair enough, but again, the question about the jeans and how they are restricting movement was avoided. Why is it that everyone says that, but then cannot, or will not, answer a simple question?

[quote name='Treykook' timestamp='1301342875' post='3096808']
My club just went through a change in ownership (which also opened up the course to public play) and despite a note posted on the front door of the pro shop that jeans aren't allowed, they've decided that green money trumps blue jeans (and as a member, I get that we need all the money we can scrape in). Now that the genie is out of the bottle, though, some members are now wearing jeans to dinner. We're not a big snobby club. This is small-town USA here, but I believe that a pair of khaki pants and a collared shirt isn't out of anyone's reach. I just don't want to become the local Bushwood. If I set foot on the property, I won't be wearing jeans.
[/quote]

My old club did this, and I mentioned it to the GM and the head pro as well as my dislike for the new policy. I also mentioned I would just jump to another club where I didnt have to watch "people of wal-mart" on the putting green. Trust me, no snob here, grew up in rural country as hell oklahoma.. but who on gods green earth doesnt understand that kahkis and a polo are golfing atire?

Thats what muni's are for..