2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, if you are going to go through the trouble of bringing along a collared shirt for the course, why not bring along a pair of slacks? Is it just too inconvenient for you to change into slacks for the course?

Here is a quick quiz for you. I am hiring you for a job that pays 75k a year plus benefits. Would you show up to the interview in either that jean suit you showed me, or any of those fashionable pics you put along also? Or would you show up in a suit?

Now instead of 75k I am hiring you for a job that pays 15k a year. Would you wear jeans or a pair of slacks with button up shirt and tie?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302780457' post='3152492']
My question is, if you are going to go through the trouble of bringing along a collared shirt for the course, why not bring along a pair of slacks? Is it just too inconvenient for you to change into slacks for the course?

Here is a quick quiz for you. I am hiring you for a job that pays 75k a year plus benefits. Would you show up to the interview in either that jean suit you showed me, or any of those fashionable pics you put along also? Or would you show up in a suit?

Now instead of 75k I am hiring you for a job that pays 15k a year. Would you wear jeans or a pair of slacks with button up shirt and tie?
[/quote]

How can you compare a job interview to a round of golf? Two completely different scenarios.

A couple of questions for you Shipwreck, because you obviously feel very strongly on this subject. In your picture of yourself playing in the Tucson Am, you were wearing a hat that was not of the traditional sort, but it looked fine and noone had any negative comments, in fact you received several compliments. But it was not "traditional" golf attire.

Secondly, I'm curious. If you got paired up on the course with someone wearing jeans, would you refuse to play with them?

I'm not trying to fire this back up because you present your arguments well, but I'm just wondering if you pass up the oportunity to play with someone new (who might turn out to be a terrific playing partner) due to them wearing jeans.?

Again, I don't use jeans in the course, because Australia is hot and jeans are way to heavy, but the fact that I don't use them doesn't mean I think people using them are all a bunch of red necks chokes who have no culture over knowing three beer brands. I can totally understand why someone would come from work and just use their tailored jeans and shirt for playing golf. I don't see any issue at all in that.

If you were hiring me for a $75K a year job I wouldn't even show up by the way.

And as a curiosity most of my job interviews are done in scrubs and a white coat, I don't even have to use a pair of pants :D. Funny thing about your question is The British Etiquette & Protocol Consensus (you can look it up in the net if you want to), allows to wear a pair of jeans and a blue blazer for a weekend work meeting or informal interview, and you know what? I usually golf on Sunday's lol

I will rephrase your question:

If you where appearing at your daughter's wedding, would you use a pair of slacks and a shirt or a tuxedo?

You'll probably ask: what does a wedding has to do with golfing and how you dress for the game?

So then, I ask: What does a job interview has to do with golfing and how you dress for the game?

Oh, and by the way, I find no difference in how I would dress for a $15K or $75K or $200K interview. Thinking because you earn less then you are an ignorant ****** bag who will get to the interview in a sleeveless shirt and some John Daly's pants is precisely what bothers me from this topic from the beginning: the ridiculous idea that because you wear a pair of slacks you are superior in every possible way to a guy wearing a pair of jeans, and so you should feel proud of being above.

You will be surprised how many people earning ten times my wage or yours, ten times your/mine qualifications play golf using denim, and believe me, nor any of us both is any better than them for not playing with jeans...

Here's Jack Hamm (pic taken from this site by the way) wearing a pair of denims for golfing. Do you really think he still looks like the guy in the pic you posted? He looks uncomfortable for sure, but you can't say he is not looking perfectly suited for a golfing game

JackSwing.jpg

Going to the golf course for a round of golf after work is a bit different that going to a job interview, would you agree? Going to a $75k a year job interview, I might wear a coat, but will certainly wear slacks, long sleeve button down, and a tie. going to an interview for a $15k a year job, I might wear a coat, but will certainly wear slacks, long sleeve button down, and a tie. None of that, however, has anything in the world to do with going to the golf course to play a round of golf. I've never seen a golf course where the attire requirements were business dress.

If I'm at work, and get off early, and since my clubs stay in my car, I'm not going out of my way to go back to the house to change clothes to go to the golf course. My course allows jeans, so long as a collared shirt is worn. The course owners play in jeans, are you going to tell the course owner he should change clothes? If my course did not allow me to wear jeans on the course, it would not be my course.

352108930_692901f575.jpg

Are you going to tell him that he cannot play your course with his tucked in long sleeve mock turtleneck shirt and jeans?

Ok I will try and answer all of these to the best of my ability.

How can you compare a job interview to a round of golf? Two completely different scenarios.

A couple of questions for you Shipwreck, because you obviously feel very strongly on this subject. In your picture of yourself playing in the Tucson Am, you were wearing a hat that was not of the traditional sort, but it looked fine and noone had any negative comments, in fact you received several compliments. But it was not "traditional" golf attire.

Secondly, I'm curious. If you got paired up on the course with someone wearing jeans, would you refuse to play with them?

I'm not trying to fire this back up because you present your arguments well, but I'm just wondering if you pass up the oportunity to play with someone new (who might turn out to be a terrific playing partner) due to them wearing jeans.?

The reason for the comparison is this, if you would dress up for a 75k job the same for a 15k job, what difference does it make if you are playing a high end country club or a local, dog track muni? I have always been taught that you should put your best foot forward and there are no second chances to make a first impression. I have seen people say "Well if there are rules against jeans then I will wear slacks." Why only wear slacks when it is a rule? Is it too inconvenient for you to have to wear slacks to play golf? Why should the destination matter as to your attire. As for the hat comment, I was unaware that there was a standard for hats in golf. Ben Hogan didn't wear a baseball style cap, Jack Nicklaus didn't wear one at all. The hat of Tom Morris and Tiger Woods is completely different. Alvaro Quiros doesn't always wear a baseball style cap either. I do understand what you are saying but the style of hat someone wears is far different than the style of pant.

Onto the next.

Again, I don't use jeans in the course, because Australia is hot and jeans are way to heavy, but the fact that I don't use them doesn't mean I think people using them are all a bunch of red necks chokes who have no culture over knowing three beer brands. I can totally understand why someone would come from work and just use their tailored jeans and shirt for playing golf. I don't see any issue at all in that.

If you were hiring me for a $75K a year job I wouldn't even show up by the way.

And as a curiosity most of my job interviews are done in scrubs and a white coat, I don't even have to use a pair of pants :D. Funny thing about your question is The British Etiquette & Protocol Consensus (you can look it up in the net if you want to), allows to wear a pair of jeans and a blue blazer for a weekend work meeting or informal interview, and you know what? I usually golf on Sunday's lol

I will rephrase your question:

If you where appearing at your daughter's wedding, would you use a pair of slacks and a shirt or a tuxedo?

You'll probably ask: what does a wedding has to do with golfing and how you dress for the game?

So then, I ask: What does a job interview has to do with golfing and how you dress for the game?

Oh, and by the way, I find no difference in how I would dress for a $15K or $75K or $200K interview. Thinking because you earn less then you are an ignorant ****** bag who will get to the interview in a sleeveless shirt and some John Daly's pants is precisely what bothers me from this topic from the beginning: the ridiculous idea that because you wear a pair of slacks you are superior in every possible way to a guy wearing a pair of jeans, and so you should feel proud of being above.

You will be surprised how many people earning ten times my wage or yours, ten times your/mine qualifications play golf using denim, and believe me, nor any of us both is any better than them for not playing with jeans...

Here's Jack Hamm (pic taken from this site by the way) wearing a pair of denims for golfing. Do you really think he still looks like the guy in the pic you posted? He looks uncomfortable for sure, but you can't say he is not looking perfectly suited for a golfing game

JackSwing.jpg

Refer to the above post about the point I was trying to make. I can't believe you used a picture of Jack Hamm LMAO :) It's effing hot out here in Tucson Arizona too. 115* summers, sweltering heat waves. You name it. Doesn't stop people from wearing jeans though. I have never once called any a hack, redneck, chop or anything else just because they decide to wear jeans on the course. I just personally feel that it is somewhat disrespectful to the game of golf is all. I also feel that the crap that Ricky Fowler and John Daly wear is disrespectful too. If people talk more about your clothing than your game you are doing something wrong. I also don't wear shorts either but that's a different subject. Jeans have a place in the world (in my world at least) and they are work clothes.

Going to the golf course for a round of golf after work is a bit different that going to a job interview, would you agree? Going to a $75k a year job interview, I might wear a coat, but will certainly wear slacks, long sleeve button down, and a tie. going to an interview for a $15k a year job, I might wear a coat, but will certainly wear slacks, long sleeve button down, and a tie. None of that, however, has anything in the world to do with going to the golf course to play a round of golf. I've never seen a golf course where the attire requirements were business dress.

If I'm at work, and get off early, and since my clubs stay in my car, I'm not going out of my way to go back to the house to change clothes to go to the golf course. My course allows jeans, so long as a collared shirt is worn. The course owners play in jeans, are you going to tell the course owner he should change clothes? If my course did not allow me to wear jeans on the course, it would not be my course.

352108930_692901f575.jpg

Are you going to tell him that he cannot play your course with his tucked in long sleeve mock turtleneck shirt and jeans?

Once again, read the first for my rebuttal. I personally hardly ever just go play golf on a whim. But then again I always have a pair of slacks and a collard shirt in my car just in case I do decide to. As for your course owners....I would never tell them how to run their course and out of respect for their position on the course would never go tell them to change. If I knew them well enough I would joke with them about it, but in a somewhat serious way. Ever wonder why you never see PGA's wearing jeans or shorts? That's because they cannot wear them at work....ever. I think it sends the wrong kind of message to people if the owners can't even follow a simple tradition like wearing slacks on the course. Just my personal opinion though and I would never chastise anyone for it. Oh and your Steve Jobs pic, he isn't even wearing a belt and his shirt is tucked in. That's another pet peeve of mine but for a different time :)

All in all I will say this. I would never turn down a round of golf with 3 guys wearing jeans. Hell, all of my friends wear jeans at the muni and they know I will give them crap. My best friend Sean thinks its a mortal sin to wear jeans on the course but he does it anyway lol. We all have our thoughts about how things should be run on the course and neither is right and neither is wrong. That is why they are opinions and not facts. Now if tomorrow the PGA said that jeans shall not be worn on any PGA certified course, things might be different. But each course has it's rules and some say its kosher, others say it's not. The only thing I am saying is that if you are willing to follow rules at those courses that say you must wear slacks, why not keep that same mentality when you go to ones that have more relaxed standards?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='svs' timestamp='1302839595' post='3155008']
The pic of the average golfer that's wearing a pink polo, khakis is hilarious!
[/quote]

IT'S NOT PINK! IT'S SALMON! - Ross (Friends)

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Wow. What a thread.

I love people who profile! :victory:

Here's what this thread has taught me.

[list][*]People who play golf and wear jeans = disrespectful hacks[*]People who wear polos & "slacks" while playing golf = respectful sportsmen[/list]
I've manages assets for decades, here's something I've discovered. There are far more millionaires in this country driving pickup trucks & Chevrolet's while wearing blue jeans than there are wearing suits and driving Porsche's/Jaguars/etc. Far more.

One really shouldn't profile. You can miss out on some amazing people by discounting based on first or profiled impressions.

Jeans on a golf course? Really? This upsets people to this level?

Wow. What a thread.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302819703' post='3154066']
Once again, read the first for my rebuttal. I personally hardly ever just go play golf on a whim. But then again I always have a pair of slacks and a collard shirt in my car just in case I do decide to. As for your course owners....I would never tell them how to run their course and out of respect for their position on the course would never go tell them to change. If I knew them well enough I would joke with them about it, but in a somewhat serious way. Ever wonder why you never see PGA's wearing jeans or shorts? That's because they cannot wear them at work....ever. I think it sends the wrong kind of message to people if the owners can't even follow a simple tradition like wearing slacks on the course. Just my personal opinion though and I would never chastise anyone for it. Oh and your Steve Jobs pic, he isn't even wearing a belt and his shirt is tucked in. That's another pet peeve of mine but for a different time :)

All in all I will say this. I would never turn down a round of golf with 3 guys wearing jeans. Hell, all of my friends wear jeans at the muni and they know I will give them crap. My best friend Sean thinks its a mortal sin to wear jeans on the course but he does it anyway lol. We all have our thoughts about how things should be run on the course and neither is right and neither is wrong. That is why they are opinions and not facts. Now if tomorrow the PGA said that jeans shall not be worn on any PGA certified course, things might be different. But each course has it's rules and some say its kosher, others say it's not. The only thing I am saying is that if you are willing to follow rules at those courses that say you must wear slacks, why not keep that same mentality when you go to ones that have more relaxed standards?
[/quote]

Some people dont play on a whim, like you, and that is fine. If I am at the house, I will not head for the course wearing jeans. Most of my rounds ARE on a whim, because I work 60 - 100 hours a week, and when I get a chance to hit the course, I take it. I wear either khaki pants and a polo, or jeans and a polo to work, so when I get the chance to get away from this place and hit the course, I make a mad dash for it.

You do not see pros wearing jeans and shorts because the PGA tour has a dress code that does not allow them to. We are not on the PGA tour, and when we are on the golf course, we are not at work, so that is a bit of a fruitless argument. The "no jeans on the course" rule is a tradition that was brought about because golf WAS an elitist sport for the rich, and jeans were below them. Low life laborers who were the low class of society, and not worthy of being in their club, wore jeans, and they did not want their kind at their club. If anything, I'd say that is a tradition that needs to be one for the history books.

Again, when I plan out a round for my day off, and am getting ready to leave the house, I will never grab a pair of jeans. Chances are, if I am playing a course that has a "no denim" rule, it is going to be a round that is planned, with a set tee time, and I will be coming from my house, or if I am coming from work, I will have planned accordingly and worn a pair of slacks. If I'm at work for the day, and happen to be wearing jeans, and get off a bit early, I'm not going to tell myself "aw shucks, I sure wish I could go play golf, at my home course where I pay dues that allows me to wear jeans, but since I'm wearing jeans I just shouldnt go to the course". That is a bit silly. I'm headed to the course in my jeans. Most of the rounds I play I do not even have a tee time. I show up, check in, and head for the tee. If there is a group or single, they will put me with them. If not, I will go by myself. I'd say maybe 3 out of 20 rounds that I play (including tournaments) have a set tee time, the rest are a last minute chance to get out of work early and play golf.

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1302838028' post='3154916']
For the record it's Ralph Lauren not Laurent. You may be mixing him up with Yves saint Laurent
[/quote]

I know, spelling mistake, sorry about that
But if Yves Saint Laurent was alive he surely would have wore jeans on the course :D Hey! He even "broke tradition" by dressing women in pants instead of skirts! How is that for breaking tradition!

So what are your thoughts on Bernhard Langer's apparel? Watched him in two tournaments last year, the US Senior Open and Boeing Classic. In both tourneys he wore jeans style cargo pants. Not made from indigo dyed denim but they were a style that a number of members here have determined to be disrespectful to the game of golf.

edited for punctuation

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1302921899' post='3158250']
So what are your thoughts on Bernhard Langer's apparel? Watched him in two tournaments last year, the US Senior Open and Boeing Classic. In both tourneys he wore jeans style cargo pants. Not made from indigo dyed denim but they were a style that a number of members here have determined to be disrespectful to the game of golf.

edited for punctuation
[/quote]

Pic please?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302923297' post='3158326']
[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1302921899' post='3158250']

edited for punctuation
[/quote]

Pic please?
[/quote]

Maybe it's the Absolut but I can't stop myself from writing this post. Anyone who thinks someone is disrespecting the game of golf because they are not wearing this or that needs a serious reality check! Look around people, there are a lot more important things to worry about. You have serious problems if you are really that concerned about someones pants. Get a grip. This thread needs to die a horrible death. Don't give me any of your hollow BS about tradition and history. If your such a traditionalist, then throw out the metalwoods and modern balls, pick up some hickory sticks, make yourself some balls out of feathers and leather, put on a three piece wool suit, necktie and go hit the links. My guess is that most of you so called traditionalist's roll the ball and cheat on your handicap. Good day to you sir!

[quote name='hogan64' timestamp='1302924512' post='3158386']
Maybe it's the Absolut but I can't stop myself from writing this post. Anyone who thinks someone is disrespecting the game of golf because they are not wearing this or that needs a serious reality check! Look around people, there are a lot more important things to worry about. You have serious problems if you are really that concerned about someones pants. Get a grip. This thread needs to die a horrible death. Don't give me any of your hollow BS about tradition and history. If your such a traditionalist, then throw out the metalwoods and modern balls, pick up some hickory sticks, make yourself some balls out of feathers and leather, put on a three piece wool suit, necktie and go hit the links. My guess is that most of you so called traditionalist's roll the ball and cheat on your handicap. Good day to you sir!
[/quote]

+ a bazillion

[/quote]

Which is why I said that it is an opinion and not fact or law. I think it's disrespectful to wear a hat at the dinner table or to belch out loud in public. Same kind of opinion. And your pathetic attempt to rationalize the people claiming "tradition" was ill informed. We are not talking about keeping with golf in the technology aspect of it, we are simply talking about what we feel is respectable on the course and what isn't when it comes to attire. Try again and don't drink too much there killer.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1302880107' post='3155793']
mad dash for it.

You do not see pros wearing jeans and shorts because the PGA tour has a dress code that does not allow them to. We are not on the PGA tour, and when we are on the golf course, we are not at work, so that is a bit of a fruitless argument.
[/quote]

When I say PGA I don't mean a touring professional. If you hold a PGA Certification you are not allowed to wear jeans on the golf course. Period. Even if you are off work and BS'ing around with your friends at a muni you don't even work at.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302928804' post='3158543']
[/quote]

Which is why I said that it is an opinion and not fact or law. I think it's disrespectful to wear a hat at the dinner table or to belch out loud in public. Same kind of opinion. And your pathetic attempt to rationalize the people claiming "tradition" was ill informed. We are not talking about keeping with golf in the technology aspect of it, we are simply talking about what we feel is respectable on the course and what isn't when it comes to attire. Try again and don't drink too much there killer.
[/quote]
Calm down there sea biscuit. Pathetic rationalization? O.K. , Let's compare wearing jeans while hitting a golf ball to belching at the dinner table. That seems pretty rational.
Why so angry skipper?
For the record, I wasn't trying to rationalize people. That doesn't even make sense, maybe I'm just to drunk. :(

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1302924750' post='3158401']
[/quote]

+ a bazillion
[/quote]

+ a bazillion too and another bazillion on top of that!

Handicap:  3

+ a bazillion

+ a bazillion too and another bazillion on top of that!

drinks.gif Truth!

[quote name='WHiT3-TiG3R' timestamp='1302935400' post='3158662']
Shouldnt you be worried about your round rather then what other people are wearing?
[/quote]

Same could be said to you. Shouldn't you be worried more about your game than what people are posting about what people are wearing?

Just sayin.....

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Wow! This thread is still active!

I care a great deal about what I wear. I also care, a great deal about my game and how I look...both on and off the course.

I don't care at all about how anyone else looks, or what they wear. However, I do care how they play, especially if they are in my foursome or the foursome ahead!

In response to the original question, my vote (for me) is NAY!