2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

[quote name='golfskisleep' timestamp='1303201487' post='3166705']
Please please please stop this insanity and end this thread .... jeans on a golf course is just wrong on so many levels ... I don't see any other sports lowering their dress standards. Those that want to wear jeans would you even consider playing others sports in them - think basketball, football, swimming, cycling, tennis - methinks NOT so don't ruin GOLF!!!!!
[/quote]
How would jeans even be applicable in other sports? Furthermore, those are team sports with a uniform generally played as part of a league with a higher expenditure of energy and associated body heat and sweating. Might as well propose a lead suit for swimming while you're at it. Apples, meet oranges.

"Tradition" in golf tends to change fairly often. The courses available to the public have changed as time has gone on. We now have the situation of more courses CLOSING per year than opening. You can wish away all the jean wearers, but you are doing so at the sport's peril. The age of the industrial revolution right up to today has seen more change than in any other period in history. Trying to determine what is "traditional" during this past 100+ years is neigh impossible to associate with many things. Golf included. Too much has changed to be able to cling to any notion of anything "traditional." Whatever that notion is, it is in your head and you must now find the courses and people which enforce your own notion of "traditional." Best of luck.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303220790' post='3167056']
[quote name='Freddie Klien' timestamp='1303220241' post='3167036']
Agreed never ever ok, wearing trousers it not to difficult an ask
[/quote]

Yes it is Freddie.....yes it is. But those of us who dislike the wearing of jeans on the course are seen as elitist snobs who care more about what people are wearing vice how they play the game. They shun us for having 'standards' and wanting to keep the game a prestigious sport. They bring up people like John Daly, Fowler, Poulter and their ilk because they apparently represent the average class of golfers that do wear slacks. Then they bring up the fact that a lot of jeans now-a-days are comfortable and do not have the same characteristics as a pair of working Levi's so therefor should be acceptable. Oh and lest we forget that anyone that mentions keeping 'tradition' is instantly hammered with 'you should wear knickers, play persimmons and balata balls etc.' because that's a valid point....../sarcasm

It's never going to stop unfortunately.
[/quote]
What point in history are you looking to for your basis of "tradition?" 70's Butterfly collars with big sweat-stained pits? 80's Alligator polos and plaid pants and tasseled golf shoes? 20's shirt and tie? Present microfiber fibers? Is there any other activity which explicitly defines what is acceptable for garb at the particular venue, but then people still complain when people are within the stated guidelines? So far, GOLF seems to be the only activity which would fit that description.

[quote name='King_Slender' timestamp='1303236457' post='3167826']
jeans - never. For God sake, just get a pair of non-denim pants. Even carpenter pants are better.
[/quote]

+1. Love my jeans.......off the course. Go to Walmart and get a pair of Kahki's for $12. I question whether jeans on a course are truly worn due to comfort, but rather as a statement; "don't tell me what to wear, this aint your Grandpa's golf game anymore." Your right it's not and I don't wear sansabelt's either, but today there are many options respected on golf courses that are comfortable, casual and for the "every day" man who hates "old golf apparel." I would never refuse to play with a guy in jeans, but would question my own judgement as to playing on a course that allows them in the first place.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

Please please please stop this insanity and end this thread .... jeans on a golf course is just wrong on so many levels ... I don't see any other sports lowering their dress standards. Those that want to wear jeans would you even consider playing others sports in them - think basketball, football, swimming, cycling, tennis - methinks NOT so don't ruin GOLF!!!!!
[/quote]

If I play a friendly game of touch football I'm not wearing full pads and a helmet, if I'm going for a swim at the lake I'm not wearing a Speedo body suit and I'm not going to dress like I'm in the Tour de France for a bike ride around the neighborhood. If I'm trying to squeeze in nine holes before dark in 48 deg weather I shouldn't have to dress like I'm on tour. I think having to play 5 1/2 hr rounds of golf does more to "ruin" the sport than jeans on the course.

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1303242330' post='3168159']
[/quote]

If I play a friendly game of touch football I'm not wearing full pads and a helmet, if I'm going for a swim at the lake I'm not wearing a Speedo body suit and I'm not going to dress like I'm in the Tour de France for a bike ride around the neighborhood. If I'm trying to squeeze in nine holes before dark in 48 deg weather I shouldn't have to dress like I'm on tour. I think having to play 5 1/2 hr rounds of golf does more to "ruin" the sport than jeans on the course.
[/quote]

Best response I have read on this thread!

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303235796' post='3167791']
[/quote]

Yes it is Freddie.....yes it is. But those of us who dislike the wearing of jeans on the course are seen as elitist snobs who care more about what people are wearing vice how they play the game. They shun us for having 'standards' and wanting to keep the game a prestigious sport. They bring up people like John Daly, Fowler, Poulter and their ilk because they apparently represent the average class of golfers that do wear slacks. Then they bring up the fact that a lot of jeans now-a-days are comfortable and do not have the same characteristics as a pair of working Levi's so therefor should be acceptable. Oh and lest we forget that anyone that mentions keeping 'tradition' is instantly hammered with 'you should wear knickers, play persimmons and balata balls etc.' because that's a valid point....../sarcasm

[/quote]
What point in history are you looking to for your basis of "tradition?" 70's Butterfly collars with big sweat-stained pits? 80's Alligator polos and plaid pants and tasseled golf shoes? 20's shirt and tie? Present microfiber fibers? Is there any other activity which explicitly defines what is acceptable for garb at the particular venue, but then people still complain when people are within the stated guidelines? So far, GOLF seems to be the only activity which would fit that description.
[/quote]

The fact of the matter is all of those styles of clothing were seen as respectable and highly fashionable for their time period. When I refer to the tradition of golf I mean keeping the tradition of looking sharp and respectable on the course. I am not saying that jeans are for the poor and therefor cannot be deemed as respectable, I am simply saying that if you were to follow the examples of most players on tour (i.e. nice slacks and a polo) you can keep with the 'tradition' that I am talking about.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1303222641' post='3167155']
[/quote]

Yes it is Freddie.....yes it is.[b] But those of us who dislike the wearing of jeans on the course are seen as elitist snobs who c[/b]are more about what people are wearing vice how they play the game. They shun us for having 'standards' and wanting to keep the game a prestigious sport. They bring up people like John Daly, Fowler, Poulter and their ilk because they apparently represent the average class of golfers that do wear slacks. Then they bring up the fact that a lot of jeans now-a-days are comfortable and do not have the same characteristics as a pair of working Levi's so therefor should be acceptable. Oh and lest we forget that anyone that mentions keeping 'tradition' is instantly hammered with 'you should wear knickers, play persimmons and balata balls etc.' because that's a valid point....../sarcasm

[/quote]

Shipwreck, I think you can real all my posts in this thread (and there are several), and I don't think you'll ever find one where I said anything about "elitist snobs". I respect yours and anyone else's opinion and decision to not wear jeans to the course. What I disagree with is the numerous posts listing those who do choose to wear jeans as "less than" those of you who do not. We have been classified as "low-life, hillbillies, rednecks, filth, and lastly ruining the game. My contention is simply that I can and do respect the game as much as anybody, even when I am clad in jeans.

And to the earlier poster who referenced "ruining" the game. You cannot compare golf with other sports like basketball, football, tennis, and laughingly enough, swimming (where that comparison came from I have no idea). Those sports require a much more explosive movement which need much more mobility and range of movement than golf. A ill-fitting pair of slacks can inhibit movement just as much as an ill-fitting pair of jeans. I think there are far more numerous things to worry about that cause the ruination of the game than jeans on the course.

Wreck, i"m hoping to get back down to the Phoenix area sometime soon. You're obviously very passionate about the game also and I would be interested in hooking up with some WRX'ers to play. Do you ever go up to the Phoenix area?

Also...I still love this thread. Maybe we can overtake the Adam 9015 driver thread, I think we're only 20 pages or so behind it, c'mon people!:yahoo:
[/quote]

I never called anyone out personally but if you go back some pages you will find those people that call people like me an elitist,say they would hate to play golf with me because I find it disrespectful to wear jeans on the course etc. This is going to be one of those threads that will never end. It's like a 'which is better, coke or pepsi' kind of debate. Everyone has their opinions about the subject and no one of us is truly right or wrong.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303268158' post='3169548']

The fact of the matter is all of those styles of clothing were seen as respectable and highly fashionable for their time period. When I refer to the tradition of golf I mean keeping the tradition of looking sharp and respectable on the course. I am not saying that jeans are for the poor and therefor cannot be deemed as respectable, I am simply saying that if you were to follow the examples of most players on tour (i.e. nice slacks and a polo) you can keep with the 'tradition' that I am talking about.
[/quote]

And keeping in that line of thinking, if you were to follow the examples of most tour players, you would NEVER wear shorts on the course. Yet, somehow, I have a feeling that many of the people going on and on about the tradition of the sport are indeed wearing shorts on the course in warmer weather. It is a lose lose argument for the "tradition" folks.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1303305242' post='3170277']
[/quote]

And keeping in that line of thinking, if you were to follow the examples of most tour players, you would NEVER wear shorts on the course. Yet, somehow, I have a feeling that many of the people going on and on about the tradition of the sport are indeed wearing shorts on the course in warmer weather. It is a lose lose argument for the "tradition" folks.
[/quote]

I agree with you and truthfully I never wear shorts either.....and it reaches 110* in the summer time here :) I might be one of the few people that follows that to a T though. Not saying that I am an elitist or that I want a pat on the back. I also think it looks ridiculous when people wear shorts with saddle shoes.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1303312751' post='3170618']
:deadhorse:
[/quote]

How do you know that horse isn't just sleeping :) Trying to kill it with your silver lightsaber

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

They just aren't practical....they are hot, get wet and stay wet.

You should dress for the comfort and weather conditions......and jeans are not lose and comfortable when you are swinging a golf club.

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303235796' post='3167791']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Those styles of dress were the status quo of their day, and the trends exhibited in other everyday clothing made their way onto the golf course, and thus, changed the status quo, little by little. How jeans cannot be plugged into the same equation doesn't seem to follow sound logic.

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303313608' post='3170658']
[/quote]

How do you know that horse isn't just sleeping :) Trying to kill it with your silver lightsaber
[/quote]

:hunter: and then....:aikido: cus this thread is driving us :crazy2:

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303314014' post='3170682']

Those styles of dress were the status quo of their day, and the trends exhibited in other everyday clothing made their way onto the golf course, and thus, changed the status quo, little by little. How jeans cannot be plugged into the same equation doesn't seem to follow sound logic.
[/quote]

Yes they were the status quo of the day and while jeans, in today's fashion standard, might be considered the same, it would only make sense to me that the PGA deems them otherwise because truth be told that we look to our golfing professionals for the styles and trends (Ricky Fowler and John Daly excluded) for us to wear on the course. And even if tomorrow the PGA were to allow jeans on course I doubt that even one player would wear them. Can you imagine playing a desert course mid July in jeans while walking?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1303314887' post='3170714']
[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303313608' post='3170658']
[/quote]

[/quote]

:hunter: and then....:aikido: cus this thread is driving us :crazy2:
[/quote]

Unsubscribe to it and stop posting. Problem solved.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

For all of the non-jeans guys here’s a [b][u]hypothetical[/u][/b] for you. Say you were in some way compelled to play a round of golf in your jeans (I know, perish the thought). Maybe your club had a “jeans only” tournament where afterward you all rushed back to the locker room, put your khaki’s on and had a big jeans burning party. Weather conditions were conducive to wearing that type of pant. That day you happened to put up a personal best score. How would you view the round? Would you figure it didn’t count, or when you recalled the round in the future would you have to mention that you were wearing jeans as a disclaimer, or would the jeans be a non-issue?

Also, assuming you played in the exact same manner you would normally play, would just the fact you were wearing jeans make you less of a golfer?

Wow... this is my favorite thread by far. So much passion! haha

My two cents, I don't wear jeans on the course but I really don't care at all if you or anyone else does. This forum is logic (jeans people) vs. emotion (slacks people). "Jeans Vs No Jeans" is up there with politics and religion on the argument scale now. Well done!

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1303317236' post='3170827']
For all of the non-jeans guys here's a [b][u]hypothetical[/u][/b] for you. Say you were in some way compelled to play a round of golf in your jeans (I know, perish the thought). Maybe your club had a "jeans only" tournament where afterward you all rushed back to the locker room, put your khaki's on and had a big jeans burning party. Weather conditions were conducive to wearing that type of pant. That day you happened to put up a personal best score. How would you view the round? Would you figure it didn't count, or when you recalled the round in the future would you have to mention that you were wearing jeans as a disclaimer, or would the jeans be a non-issue?

Also, assuming you played in the exact same manner you would normally play, would just the fact you were wearing jeans make you less of a golfer?

[/quote]

That is one of the worst arguements I have ever read. Congratulations.

:russian_roulette:

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303315531' post='3170747']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303314014' post='3170682']

[/quote]

Yes they were the status quo of the day and while jeans, in today's fashion standard, might be considered the same, it would only make sense to me that the PGA deems them otherwise because truth be told that we look to our golfing professionals for the styles and trends (Ricky Fowler and John Daly excluded) for us to wear on the course. And even if tomorrow the PGA were to allow jeans on course I doubt that even one player would wear them. Can you imagine playing a desert course mid July in jeans while walking?
[/quote]
What does PGA Tour golf have to do with my or anyone elses' weekend round? I'm out playing, not watching, if I can help it. The distinction between what a PGA Tour player is doing- ((their job at their place of employment which has it's own dress code, just as my and most everyone elses' office does)) and what I do in my leisure time is not synonymous in any way, shape, or form. Also, I haven't clothing contracts and companies telling me what to wear to receive my payment from them in promoting their wares. I see altogether too much "PGA TOUR Influence" on rounds of golf today. It's called the 5 hour round. I'd much prefer everyday players largely IGNORE what is the "norm" on tour. Plus, all these white pants-wearing pros look like douchebags out there. They look like soda jerks from the 50's or something. So pretty. No thanks. $75 polos? Give me a break. No, I'll ignore all that noise, thanks.

[quote name='Fozcycle' timestamp='1303313775' post='3170669']
and jeans are not lose and comfortable when you are swinging a golf club.
[/quote]

Again, I will ask, how tight are your jeans that they are not comfortable while swinging a club? if you are wearing jeans that look like they are painted on and raise the pitch of your voice an octave or two, sure, they are probably a bit too restrictive to play golf in, but I doubt you would even have any luck simply performing day to day tasks such as walking. You are not putting your feet over your head (perhaps you are, I dont know, I know it's not a standard position in the golf swing), how do jeans restrict the movements required for a golf swing?

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1303317236' post='3170827']
For all of the non-jeans guys here's a [b][u]hypothetical[/u][/b] for you. Say you were in some way compelled to play a round of golf in your jeans (I know, perish the thought). Maybe your club had a "jeans only" tournament where afterward you all rushed back to the locker room, put your khaki's on and had a big jeans burning party. Weather conditions were conducive to wearing that type of pant. That day you happened to put up a personal best score. How would you view the round? Would you figure it didn't count, or when you recalled the round in the future would you have to mention that you were wearing jeans as a disclaimer, or would the jeans be a non-issue?

[/quote]

Then I would chalk that one up to a coincidence. I am somewhat of a superstitious player but that is just being ridiculous. I can't tell you what I was wearing when I shot my first bogey free round but I can tell you my swing thoughts and my actions through that day on the course. While my clothing might not affect my game in such a way as to change the way I play, I still would not go out and play in jeans just because it's the 'in thing' to do.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I don't think I've ever seen jeans worn on the course...or a "jeans only" tournament. Has anyone actually been in a tournament like that? Haha.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

Let me change up that hypthetical situation a little bit for those of you who would never be caught dead on the course wearing jeans.

You're out and about doing errands or something such while wearing jeans. Your buddy calls and says hey, Tiger, Phil, etc (whomever your favorite pro happens to be) are here on our course they want to play with a couple of locals, can you get here in five minutes? Now your clubs and shoes are in the trunk, but no extra clothes and no time to run home or the store to purchase a pair. Do you stand by your "no jeans on the course ever", or do you go ahead and play in your jeans.

I know, I know, a very unlikely situation. But IF it were to occur, doesn't it show that maybe the issue of what you are wearing is maybe not that important?