2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1303333188' post='3171571']
Let me change up that hypthetical situation a little bit for those of you who would never be caught dead on the course wearing jeans.

You're out and about doing errands or something such while wearing jeans. Your buddy calls and says hey, Tiger, Phil, etc (whomever your favorite pro happens to be) are here on our course they want to play with a couple of locals, can you get here in five minutes? Now your clubs and shoes are in the trunk, but no extra clothes and no time to run home or the store to purchase a pair. Do you stand by your "no jeans on the course ever", or do you go ahead and play in your jeans.

I know, I know, a very unlikely situation. But IF it were to occur, doesn't it show that maybe the issue of what you are wearing is maybe not that important?
[/quote]

Any course that Tiger and Phil are playing at will definitely have a pro shop that I can buy appropriate clothing at! Haha, but to answer the hypothetical, yeah, I'd wear jeans to play in that group if there were no other options. Hell, I'd play in my boxers.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tarheelnation3' timestamp='1303333477' post='3171581']
Let me change up that hypthetical situation a little bit for those of you who would never be caught dead on the course wearing jeans.

You're out and about doing errands or something such while wearing jeans. Your buddy calls and says hey, Tiger, Phil, etc (whomever your favorite pro happens to be) are here on our course they want to play with a couple of locals, can you get here in five minutes? Now your clubs and shoes are in the trunk, but no extra clothes and no time to run home or the store to purchase a pair. Do you stand by your "no jeans on the course ever", or do you go ahead and play in your jeans.

I know, I know, a very unlikely situation. But IF it were to occur, doesn't it show that maybe the issue of what you are wearing is maybe not that important?
[/quote]

Any course that Tiger and Phil are playing at will definitely have a pro shop that I can buy appropriate clothing at! Haha, but to answer the hypothetical, yeah, I'd wear jeans to play in that group if there were no other options. Hell, I'd play in my boxers.
[/quote]

I've seen numerous proshops that are wll stocked with shirts, but not so with pants or even shorts (but thats not what we're talking about here anyway).
Another question for the anti-jeans. And answer honestly. At some point in the past, have you played with someone in jeans who was a real pleasure to play with and followed the correct etiqutte guidelines..and at some point have you played with someone in khakis or slacks who did not, walked in your line, talked in your swing, etc.

Who did you feel "respected" the game more?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1303334720' post='3171649']
[quote name='Tarheelnation3' timestamp='1303333477' post='3171581']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've seen numerous proshops that are wll stocked with shirts, but not so with pants or even shorts (but thats not what we're talking about here anyway).
Another question for the anti-jeans. And answer honestly. At some point in the past, have you played with someone in jeans who was a real pleasure to play with and followed the correct etiqutte guidelines..and at some point have you played with someone in khakis or slacks who did not, walked in your line, talked in your swing, etc.

Who did you feel "respected" the game more?
[/quote]
Ding ding ding. Or spit sunflower seeds on the green? Or ashed their expensive cigar on the green? Or drove the cart right up to the green? Or threw their beer bottle in the woods? Or....

I don't even care if you choose not to wear jeans. But the "Walmart" brand of commentary that we see in this thread, where what you wear supposedly says something about you, or your "respect" for something, is so elitist and myopic its silly. Only actions which impact others should be deemed "disrespectful" or not. The grass, the trees, the bunkers. They care not.

Look, It's frickin cold and damp here, denim works pretty good, otherwise I'd be wearing capilene underwear every time I hit the links.
It took me a while to get used too, but I'm ok with it during the winter months. And I'm not ruining my Chinos/Dockers with mud stains.
Here in the great northwet, everyone wears jeans to play golf in, especially during the winter.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1303335853' post='3171721']
Look, It's frickin cold and damp here, denim works pretty good, otherwise I'd be wearing capilene underwear every time I hit the links.
It took me a while to get used too, but I'm ok with it during the winter months. And I'm not ruining my Chinos/Dockers with mud stains.
Here in the great northwet, everyone wears jeans to play golf in, especially during the winter.
[/quote]

That's where I live and that's what I'm saying. Are jeans appropriate at every course in the country or under all conditions? Heck no. They are not deemed inappropriate or illegal by the rules of golf. I will always wear clothing that a course or club has deemed inappropriate without any issue whatsoever. Would a pair of heavyweight slim-fit jeans be comfortable to play golf in? Not at all. But a lightweight pair of relaxed fit jeans are just as comfortable to play in as a pair of flat-front khakis. Cotton is just as breathable in jeans as it is in khakis. If you have never played in jeans, your position that jeans are the most uncomfortable pant you can wear holds less weight than someone who has worn them, and says they are comfortable. If the course or club I'm playing has determined them to be appropriate then they are. If not, then they aren't. Now, if I'm wearing jeans AND using one of those cheaty long putters, that might be pushing it.

[quote name='nickdanger' timestamp='1303336986' post='3171794']
If you have never played in jeans, your position that jeans are the most uncomfortable pant you can wear holds less weight than someone who has worn them, and says they are comfortable.
[/quote]

I've never played basketball in cowboy boots but I can probably guarantee that it is uncomfortable.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

So, "traditional players", what are your thoughts about socks then? (just to change the topic a little bit)

Do you think it is plausible to wear white cotton socks when EVERYBODY knows you shouldn't wear white socks with khakis? Shouldn't your socks be kakhis, or anything you would use on a "daily situation" with trousers?

The NSW Golf Club (Home course) has the following regulations:

"Acceptable short socks are plain white or plain white with a golf club logo. Sockettes (below ankle) are NOT permitted"

z%20Socks.jpg

Do you agree with this statement, even though you know using white socks with trousers in a daily life situation looks absolutely ridiculous? (They say in Australia: "Dark Pants with Clear Socks, he surely loves c.o.c.k."

Now, if I wore some socks with an Emporio Armani logo (which obviously is no "golf club logo", would I be lacking respect for the game and killing its tradition? Do you really think the third picture with the Adidas Vintage logo shouldn't be accepted while a big Adidas-TM logo should be applauded?

Just would like to know your ideas; too much jeans-conversation leading no where...

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303351977' post='3172514']
If you have never played in jeans, your position that jeans are the most uncomfortable pant you can wear holds less weight than someone who has worn them, and says they are comfortable.
[/quote]

I've never played basketball in cowboy boots but I can probably guarantee that it is uncomfortable.
[/quote]

How much running, jumping, and abrupt change of direction WHILE running are you doing on the golf course? I would never wear boots for a game of basketball either, but then again, it is quite dangerous to do so, but this conversation is about wearing jeans on the golf course, not boots on the b-ball court, which the two bear no similarities.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1303389587' post='3173255']
[/quote]

[/quote]

How much running, jumping, and abrupt change of direction WHILE running are you doing on the golf course? I would never wear boots for a game of basketball either, but then again, it is quite dangerous to do so, but this conversation is about wearing jeans on the golf course, not boots on the b-ball court, which the two bear no similarities.
[/quote]

Since you obviously missed the point I was trying to make I will change it up, as to fit in with the 'jeans on a golf course' theme we got going here.

- I would also never wear spandex on the golf course.
- I would also never wear my Navy swim trunks on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a wife beater on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a sombrero on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a plain t-shirt on the golf course.
- I would also never wear flip flops on the golf course.

Now all of these are perfectly acceptable pieces of garb correct? Yet none of the have anything to do with the game of golf, just as jeans have nothing to do with the game of golf. I've never heard of 'golf jeans' before but on a side note golf sandals are one of the most idiotic things I've seen IMO. The fact of the matter is everyone here has different standards when it comes to what is acceptable and what is not.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303395727' post='3173495']
[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1303389587' post='3173255']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Since you obviously missed the point I was trying to make I will change it up, as to fit in with the 'jeans on a golf course' theme we got going here.

- I would also never wear spandex on the golf course.
- I would also never wear my Navy swim trunks on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a wife beater on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a sombrero on the golf course.
- I would also never wear a plain t-shirt on the golf course.
- I would also never wear flip flops on the golf course.

Now all of these are perfectly acceptable pieces of garb correct? Yet none of the have anything to do with the game of golf, just as jeans have nothing to do with the game of golf. I've never heard of 'golf jeans' before but on a side note golf sandals are one of the most idiotic things I've seen IMO. The fact of the matter is everyone here has different standards when it comes to what is acceptable and what is not.
[/quote]
Yes, golf sandals are pretty goofy in that they don't accomplish what golf shoes do: protect your feet and keep the debris out. Jeans, on the other hand, cover one's body, and keep you warm in climates where such things are valued/necessary. Another failed example of yours. We know you'll wear jeans to swim, so the swim trunks on the course is kinda funny/ironic. Spandex? OK, MC Hammer.

None of the items you listed would be looked at kindly in many venues, so hooray, you found odd fashion choices for any occasion.

Your "examples" are so far-fetched. Why bother? Usually debates are about things that are at least mildly feasible with arguments to support your contentions.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303400808' post='3173753']
Yes, golf sandals are pretty goofy in that they don't accomplish what golf shoes do: protect your feet and keep the debris out. Jeans, on the other hand, cover one's body, and keep you warm in climates where such things are valued/necessary. Another failed example of yours. We know you'll wear jeans to swim, so the swim trunks on the course is kinda funny/ironic. Spandex? OK, MC Hammer.

None of the items you listed would be looked at kindly in many venues, so hooray, you found odd fashion choices for any occasion.

Your "examples" are so far-fetched. Why bother? Usually debates are about things that are at least mildly feasible with arguments to support your contentions.
[/quote]

Is everyone this dense or does everyone just take things at face value?

Jeans protect your legs and keep you warm in climates. Very good we already established that. But we have also established that they are made of the same materials that our slacks are made out of, which is cotton. So in theory jeans would protect your body no more than a pair of cotton slacks right? Therefor jeans should be considered obsolete.

I used those outrageous examples to prove a point. A point that you missed (like so many others have as well). The point is that you wouldn't be caught dead in a sombrero on the course, even though it protects you from the sun probably better than a normal hat would, just as you wouldn't be caught with a pair of swim trunks, even though they cool you off just as golf shorts do. All of these things are irreverent. In my opinion (there's that pesky word again), jeans hold the same value as a wife beater or golfing sandals. They should not be allowed. Period. They make golf slacks and golf shirts for a reason just as they make baseball jerseys and football jerseys for a reason. That reason is to provide comfort, protection from the elements, style and ease of use.

Jeans might be ultra comfortable and super stylish with their Ed Hardy crap all over them, but they do not keep with the style and comfort that the vast majority (I would be willing to say about 98% of all golfers) are looking for.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

This thread reminds me of a local guy.. I live in a pretty rural community in SW MO, We have a small 9 hole country club that I belong to and a 18 hole PM.. Most in our area wear jeans on the course, I personally don't but that's just how it is here.. (a lot of jean shorts in summer) There is a tourney here every summer in August which it is hot and humid here then, This guy who is a somewhat overweight prob 5-9 240-250 showed up wearing those heavyweight Wranglers and a a cotton polo, smoked cigs and was drinking a 32oz sonic cup of coffee... I literally don't know how he did it.. I was in thin poly shorts and polo and was very hot (it was over 100 before the H-I...

Another thing I don't get is how people can wear Jean shorts in the really hot months.. I would be so chafed after 9 holes I couldn't walk..

Back to the topic, the only time I'll wear Jeans on the course is say during the day I might go out and chip and putt or play a few holes during my lunch hour or right after work... But a competitive round with the group on the weekend or on a golf outing no way...

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1303397115' post='3173565']
Look, It's frickin cold and damp here, denim works pretty good...
[/quote]

Denim works pretty WELL. Typical denim wearer...

[/quote]

We're 37 pages into this thing. You need to bring something more to the table than grammar criticism and snide comments.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303400948' post='3173762']
[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1303397115' post='3173565']
Look, It's frickin cold and damp here, denim works pretty good...
[/quote]

Denim works pretty WELL. Typical denim wearer...
[/quote]
All 41 of your posts this enlightening?
[/quote]

It was actually a joke. You know... the whole "looking down on people that wear jeans" thing and all. I'd say you need to lighten up but with some of the responses in this thread, I can see why you would think I was serious.

For the record, 36 of my 41 posts were this enlightening.

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303401631' post='3173803']

[/quote]

Jeans protect your legs and keep you warm in climates. Very good we already established that. But we have also established that they are made of the same materials that our slacks are made out of, which is cotton. So in theory jeans would protect your body no more than a pair of cotton slacks right? Therefor jeans should be considered obsolete.

I used those outrageous examples to prove a point. A point that you missed (like so many others have as well). The point is that you wouldn't be caught dead in a sombrero on the course, even though it protects you from the sun probably better than a normal hat would, just as you wouldn't be caught with a pair of swim trunks, even though they cool you off just as golf shorts do. All of these things are irreverent. In my opinion (there's that pesky word again), jeans hold the same value as a wife beater or golfing sandals. They should not be allowed. Period. They make golf slacks and golf shirts for a reason just as they make baseball jerseys and football jerseys for a reason. That reason is to provide comfort, protection from the elements, style and ease of use.

Jeans might be ultra comfortable and super stylish with their Ed Hardy crap all over them, but they do not keep with the style and comfort that the vast majority (I would be willing to say about 98% of all golfers) are looking for.
[/quote]

Why is he the dense one when you are the one making outrageous comparisons? FYI, if many other people are missing your "point", its usually not everyone else. Your point was asinine. And, as you know, 62% of statistics are made up. When I'm out playing some football with friends, I don't toss on my jersey before I leave.

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303401631' post='3173803']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Fabrics of the same material (COTTON) have different [i]weaves[/i]. Jeans have a different [b]weave[/b] than khakis. There are also different thread weights of the same material. Khakis are generally a lighter thread weight than jeans.
Yeah, some fabrics are more [i]dense[/i] than others. Some people too.

Ed Hardy? Had never heard of it until you mentioned it, and no, I have not seen anyone wearing those on the course. Again, the most extreme, ridiculous example. My jeans are Nautica if you care. I certainly don't. And yes, they look better than the khakis one can get at Walmart/K-mart for $14 that everyone always uses as the standard for how easy and affordable it is to be in "compliance" with others' expectations. $14 khakis [i]LOOK[/i] like $14 Khakis. But again, I live in MN, where jeans are very common just due to the climate up here. You seem to understand, yet you don't? Where do you live, may I ask?

Swim trunks have a mesh liner and are worn without underwear. No, I wouldn't wear those to golf in because, well, chafing is no fun. Why would anyone? I think I've seen it before out on the course, but it didn't faze me. Most of this stuff happens at the munis, and I expect to see some of it and have a laugh about it. Are there a lot of people hopping out of the pool and going wet to the course? Yeah, if your pants are wet on the first tee, I might ask to be paired with someone else. I'll grant you that. Has it happened? No.

Sombrero? Who cares. A little lightness/levity never hurt anyone. I'd laugh about it. Might be hard to swing in, so logic would rule that out.

Wife beater? Is there a course anywhere which allows this? I cannot think of one locally, even the munis. If they do and it offends you, don't play there. If someone is wearing one against the rules, feel free to call the pro shop. It's all about what is ALLOWED. Ya know, following [b]rules and guidelines[/b] and not personal biases and expectations?

I asked some pages ago if there is a venue with a dress code which everyone follows, but people [i]still[/i] complain even if they are in compliance. Can you name one, aside from Golf?

Last season, I played a local course which is public, municipal, and the dress code is pretty relaxed. I was paired with an old guy, musta been 70 years old. His garb?
Khaki pants and a blue polo. Well, kinda Khaki pants and a formerly blue polo. The sweat stains from years of use had discolored the shirt to a brownish pink tinge and the khakis appeared to have at least 3 meals on them. Both top and bottoms tended not to move much as they had taken on a stiffness that would stand them up in a corner by themselves.

In compliance? You bet! Did I ditch him at the turn? You bet!
Was I wearing clean jeans, shirt, shoes, hat, etc and had showered, brushed/flossed, etc? YES!

THIS is a real-life example.

In other words, be careful what you ask for. People can still manage to make a mess of it.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303411707' post='3174281']
Last season, I played a local course which is public, municipal, and the dress code is pretty relaxed. I was paired with an old guy, musta been 70 years old. His garb?
Khaki pants and a blue polo. Well, kinda Khaki pants and a formerly blue polo. The sweat stains from years of use had discolored the shirt to a brownish pink tinge and the khakis appeared to have at least 3 meals on them. Both top and bottoms tended not to move much as they had taken on a stiffness that would stand them up in a corner by themselves.

Was I wearing clean jeans, shirt, shoes, hat, etc and had showered, brushed/flossed, etc? YES!

In other words, be careful what you ask for. People can still manage to make a mess of it.
[/quote]

It's a sad, sad day when one feels the need to belittle somebody in the hope of rising in someone else's esteem!

Talk about respect for elders....and what they could have done for you in their lifetime.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1303413355' post='3174364']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1303411707' post='3174281']

[/quote]

It's a sad, sad day when one feels the need to belittle somebody in the hope of rising in someone else's esteem!

Talk about respect for elders....and what they could have done for you in their lifetime.
[/quote]
Belittle? Look, when you can't stand downwind of someone because they smell of 6 day old B.O. so bad and their clothes are a mess, I'm sorry if I don't hold them in high regard. I wrote that in a semi-jocular manner to point out that even when people are in compliance with stated "standards" it can still leave one out of compliance with what is considered self respect for yourself and others in the way you present yourself. I've taken the minority position this entire "debate" and defended peoples' right to choose provided they are within acceptable parameters outlined by the course, and took exception to people likening jeans-wearers to those featured on the "people of Walmart" web site. Sorry, body funk doesn't have a place for reverence in my existence, and I doubt anyone else here wants to be paired with some dirty old man. Dirt is avoidable. Stink is avoidable. Maybe you can't afford the best golf clothes, but they can be CLEAN. I would have been fine with him in swim trunks and a t-shirt if they were clean!! He also walked (very slowly) and probably should have taken a cart. He held up the entire group.

Dismount your soapbox, please. My real-life example was to counter the contention that "respect" and any other notion of what is acceptable is directly tied to the TYPE of clothing you wear, and to show that being in compliance can still leave MUCH to be desired. At least it is a real life example and not some far-flung drivel made up. I'll play with ANYONE and do so almost every weekend. I just don't like smelly, dirty people. I used to work downtown MPLS/St Paul for the utility company and dealt with lots of dirty people there. It's just an observation and statement of fact. Notice I did not say anything about the TYPE of person he was? Do you like dirty people, no matter their age? I look forward to that response.

The "no jeans" argument reminds me of when I worked at Home Depot years ago. Collared shirts were (still are, I'm sure) mandatory even though we were wearing a dirty orange apron that completely dominated our appearance. I used to humorously refer to the fictional situation that resulted in the rule where a man walks into a Home Depot and starts ordering thousands of dollars worth of paint. As the employee turned to retrieve it he's like "Whoooooa... what kind of joint you runnin' here!? Where's your collar son? I think I'll take my business elsewhere!"

I always thought it was such a ridiculous idea and yet, here I am reading some of these posts thinking "Wow... I think that may have actually happened!"

Its fascinating how such a simple question here on the forums has turned into a perfect litmus test in the world of golf that separates two very specific kinds of people. Tolerant and intolerant...

It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has everything to do with the OWNERS of golf courses wanting the place to look nice and everyone to be presentable while on property. If they decide no denim is allowed then those are the damn rules. If you want to play on the course you follow the dress code. If you don't want to get a speeding ticket then don't speed. If you want to play Augusta don't have a v a g i n a...

From this newbie's perspective....I'm playing when it's early and cold so jeans work for me. If I'm playing when the weather is nicer I have khakis on. The courses that allow me to wear jeans are not the courses your big boys play. If I'm at a new or nicer course I'll keep to the code, otherwise it's jeans and comfy.

[quote name='madbrad' timestamp='1303418338' post='3174562']
It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has everything to do with the OWNERS of golf courses wanting the place to look nice and everyone to be presentable while on property. If they decide no denim is allowed then those are the damn rules. If you want to play on the course you follow the dress code. If you don't want to get a speeding ticket then don't speed. If you want to play Augusta don't have a v a g i n a...
[/quote]

You do realize that this thread... in it's 38th page now, isn't about "rules" right? No one at any point that I have seen has made any arguments for going against a club's dress code. Anyway, since it's not about that I'm glad to see you're in the "Denim is okay" category... since you know... owners of some courses allow it and you made it very clear that you respect their decisions regarding dress code.

[quote name='madbrad' timestamp='1303418338' post='3174562']
[/quote]

Have you read the previous posts? The jean wearing crowd has VERY specifically stated that if the particular course has a dress code saying no denim, they gladly abide by it. And also, I believe women do get to play Augusta.