2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts exactly. I love jeans; wear them on weekends, several days a week to my "executive job," but NEVER on a golf course; even a pukey Muni. Those that do, only do so to make a point and not because they are comfortable. A pair of jeans on a sunny day, on a course for 4 hours may be the most uncomfortable and most un-natural thing to wear...the feel is like a bottle of tabasco being dumped down my pants...why do that to yourself? Every man owns a pair of Kahki's...same wear quality as jeans, just more comfortable and much more breathable.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303004225' post='3160656']
[quote name='WHiT3-TiG3R' timestamp='1302935400' post='3158662']
Shouldnt you be worried about your round rather then what other people are wearing?
[/quote]

Same could be said to you. Shouldn't you be worried more about your game than what people are posting about what people are wearing?

Just sayin.....
[/quote]
Okay? Shouldn't you be worried about yourself rather than what I'm posting?

[quote name='10of14' timestamp='1303069057' post='3162100']
My thoughts exactly. I love jeans; wear them on weekends, several days a week to my "executive job," but NEVER on a golf course; even a pukey Muni. Those that do, only do so to make a point and not because they are comfortable. A pair of jeans on a sunny day, on a course for 4 hours may be the most uncomfortable and most un-natural thing to wear...the feel is like a bottle of tabasco being dumped down my pants...why do that to yourself? Every man owns a pair of Kahki's...same wear quality as jeans, just more comfortable and much more breathable.
[/quote]
Doesn't this sum it all up? It makes perfect sense to me. Nothing needs to be added. Comfort, how do you argue against it?
Do we need the original poster to end this?

When I wear jeans to a course it is definately not to prove a point. I wear them because that is what I wear. I go to the course after work most of the time, so since I wear jeans to work I wear them to the course. When it's hot I wear shorts.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I'll throw my .02 in...

I love jeans also. I wear them to the movies, casual restaurants, to go see family, etc. When I am doing something I consider a little more serious I dress for the occasion.

Golf is serious to me and you dress for the sport. In baseball you bring a bat, shoes, glove and a helmet. Football is pads, shoes, helmet and jersey. Golf is no different...I am simply dressing for the sport. As mentioned, I take golf seriously and given it's a gentlemen's game I will dress like a gentleman should given the history of our sport. Back in the old days they would get dressed up and play and then go about the rest of their business activities.

Mostly I think it just looks terrible when a person wears jeans. You basically have a bullseye on you that says "Look at me. I'm a hillbilly"

......and then that Hillbilly beats you by ten strokes and laughs in your face.black%20eye.gif

ya whatever...

You forgot the rest...............:birthday:

If you beat me by 10 shots then congrats to you. It will also be a score of about 64 or 65 so you should join the tour immediately and demand a denim rule change

Ya sure..........

That guy will meet you in the parking lot!

Have fun! :cheesy::yahoo:

......and then that Hillbilly beats you by ten strokes,laughs in your face, and then beats the crap outta ya in the parking lot for trying to embarrass him and being a pompous fool on the course.black%20eye.gif

I guess that will never happen because You would not be let play anywhere that i do wearing jeans which is probably a good thing as i have an aversion to keeping company with the sort of mentalities that like to beat the crap out of people in parking lots, or threaten it on the internet and no where else, either way sad.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Never. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it is tacky. People wear them, and it is fine, but you wouldn't ever see me in jeans even in the golf course parking lot. A lot of older gentlemen at my club wear them, and I guess it is alright, but I don't see it as something I'd ever do.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 8.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ 7X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

......and then that Hillbilly beats you by ten strokes and laughs in your face.black%20eye.gif

ya whatever...

You forgot the rest...............:birthday:

If you beat me by 10 shots then congrats to you. It will also be a score of about 64 or 65 so you should join the tour immediately and demand a denim rule change

Ya sure..........

That guy will meet you in the parking lot!

Have fun! :cheesy::yahoo:

I'm trying to make sense of this...are you threatening me over the internet?

E-tough guy...wow

[quote name='MightyMark' timestamp='1303071687' post='3162195']
[quote name='10of14' timestamp='1303069057' post='3162100']
[/quote]
Doesn't this sum it all up? It makes perfect sense to me. Nothing needs to be added. Comfort, how do you argue against it?
Do we need the original poster to end this?
[/quote]

Except:
- Lightweight denim in a relaxed fit are every bit as comfortable as khakis
- Not every man owns a pair of khakis
- Lightweight denim is just as breathable as khakis. Maybe more so if your khakis are made with any polyester
- A pair of wool slacks would be more uncomfortable than jeans on a hot summer day. Think Tobasco plus bark dust.

[quote name='madbrad' timestamp='1303102925' post='3163583']
Hardly any slacks are made of wool so that's not a valid excuse.
[/quote]

Actually you can find plenty of slacks still made of wool.....but they aren't the thick, winter wool that people associate with the term 'wool pants'. I own a pair of Structure slacks that are the lightest, most breathable wool I have ever had and they are money! I would put them 1v1 against any pair of regular slacks or jeans all day long and twice and Sunday.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Comfort is a very very subjective issue. They might not be comfortable for you, which doesn't mean they are uncomfortable for everybody. If we are talking about comfort, we should all be using sweatpants or linen Yoga pants in the course since they are much more comfortable and breathable than slacks, aren't them? Or let's all use John Daly's pants then! They ARE PGA Tour accepted, they are lose and very very comfortable for sure.

Or tell me this pants Villegas is wearing now look really comfortable... You can perfectly see how the pants wrinkle in the middle and stretch frontally to the crotch like if he was wearing a thong. Yeah, that might be so much more comfortable than wearing 95g lightweight lose fit 550 jeans!

g_VillegasCamilo_300x400.jpg

By the way, denim is made 100% of cotton, so the "unnatural" comment is just ridiculous. Unnatural would be to wear a pair of Nike Dri Fit of Adidas Clima-Cool slacks, made 100% of artificial material. I ain't saying anything about this pants, I'm just trying to state how maybe your use of the word "natural" might be a little bit biased or misinformed.

I usually use linen pants, which thinking about it, look a lot less "elegant" than some denim, but no one here would say they shoulden't be accepted because they are "pants". Weird uh? Anyway I find them to be more comfortable for me, but some people will feel their "intimate parts" to be waaaay too looooose and would fin them to be the most uncomfortable thing in the world: they would prefer their tight denim. You know what? Great for them! The best they feel the more they will enjoy their game!

And I really really enjoy much more a game when paired with some people having authenticity, using their denim and enjoying their game of golf, than playing with people who think they are the greatest golfers ever because they follow tradition but forget using a mulligan in every hole, and having "given" 6 foot putts isn't that traditional, and would comment all game long about how people "disrespect" the golf course by using jeans", while showing me their 50% polyester-40% cotton, 10% spandex trousers they feel so proud about.

Played my public "home course" again yesterday. It wasn't until about the 14th hole I noticed I was the only one in the group [i]not[/i] wearing jeans (which is something I do on occasion at this course, as it is perfectly within the rules.) It didn't affect my game. It did not distract me. It did not offend me. I thought no less of the people I was playing with as a result. We had a good time. The end. It was 46 degrees out there. Heaven forbid people try to stay warm and dress as they please on their own time on the weekend as permitted by the course. Ooh! The nerve!

1. I never wear jeans to play golf.
2. I would never judge a golfer based solely on the fact that they were wearing jeans.
3. When I visit a club, I always follow the rules of the club without question. If I am significantly offended to their rules, I will simply choose not to play there.
4. I am much more offended by people's behavior and the way they carry themselves than the type of clothing they wear.
5. I generally consider "golf fashion" to be an oxymoron.
6. I am continuously boggled by what some "traditionalists" consider to be "proper attire".
7. I've seen more than one person playing in jeans and crew neck who looked better than many that I've seen in khakis and a collared shirt.
8. IMO it's not what you wear but how you wear it.

[quote name='tElihu' timestamp='1303153341' post='3164881']
1. I never wear jeans to play golf.
2. I would never judge a golfer based solely on the fact that they were wearing jeans.
3. When I visit a club, I always follow the rules of the club without question. If I am significantly offended to their rules, I will simply choose not to play there.
4. I am much more offended by people's behavior and the way they carry themselves than the type of clothing they wear.
5. I generally consider "golf fashion" to be an oxymoron.
6. I am continuously boggled by what some "traditionalists" consider to be "proper attire".
7. I've seen more than one person playing in jeans and crew neck who looked better than many that I've seen in khakis and a collared shirt.
8. IMO it's not what you wear but how you wear it.
[/quote]

In 35 pages of posts, this may be the best one in there yet. #1 is perfectly acceptable, that is each individual's decision and #2 [b]should[/b] be each individual's attitude.

The poll says it all, the horse is dead, let the flogging cease.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Please please please stop this insanity and end this thread .... jeans on a golf course is just wrong on so many levels ... I don't see any other sports lowering their dress standards. Those that want to wear jeans would you even consider playing others sports in them - think basketball, football, swimming, cycling, tennis - methinks NOT so don't ruin GOLF!!!!!

[quote name='Freddie Klien' timestamp='1303220241' post='3167036']
Agreed never ever ok, wearing trousers it not to difficult an ask
[/quote]

Yes it is Freddie.....yes it is. But those of us who dislike the wearing of jeans on the course are seen as elitist snobs who care more about what people are wearing vice how they play the game. They shun us for having 'standards' and wanting to keep the game a prestigious sport. They bring up people like John Daly, Fowler, Poulter and their ilk because they apparently represent the average class of golfers that do wear slacks. Then they bring up the fact that a lot of jeans now-a-days are comfortable and do not have the same characteristics as a pair of working Levi's so therefor should be acceptable. Oh and lest we forget that anyone that mentions keeping 'tradition' is instantly hammered with 'you should wear knickers, play persimmons and balata balls etc.' because that's a valid point....../sarcasm

It's never going to stop unfortunately.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1303220790' post='3167056']
[quote name='Freddie Klien' timestamp='1303220241' post='3167036']
Agreed never ever ok, wearing trousers it not to difficult an ask
[/quote]

Yes it is Freddie.....yes it is.[b] But those of us who dislike the wearing of jeans on the course are seen as elitist snobs who c[/b]are more about what people are wearing vice how they play the game. They shun us for having 'standards' and wanting to keep the game a prestigious sport. They bring up people like John Daly, Fowler, Poulter and their ilk because they apparently represent the average class of golfers that do wear slacks. Then they bring up the fact that a lot of jeans now-a-days are comfortable and do not have the same characteristics as a pair of working Levi's so therefor should be acceptable. Oh and lest we forget that anyone that mentions keeping 'tradition' is instantly hammered with 'you should wear knickers, play persimmons and balata balls etc.' because that's a valid point....../sarcasm

It's never going to stop unfortunately.
[/quote]

Shipwreck, I think you can real all my posts in this thread (and there are several), and I don't think you'll ever find one where I said anything about "elitist snobs". I respect yours and anyone else's opinion and decision to not wear jeans to the course. What I disagree with is the numerous posts listing those who do choose to wear jeans as "less than" those of you who do not. We have been classified as "low-life, hillbillies, rednecks, filth, and lastly ruining the game. My contention is simply that I can and do respect the game as much as anybody, even when I am clad in jeans.

And to the earlier poster who referenced "ruining" the game. You cannot compare golf with other sports like basketball, football, tennis, and laughingly enough, swimming (where that comparison came from I have no idea). Those sports require a much more explosive movement which need much more mobility and range of movement than golf. A ill-fitting pair of slacks can inhibit movement just as much as an ill-fitting pair of jeans. I think there are far more numerous things to worry about that cause the ruination of the game than jeans on the course.

Wreck, i"m hoping to get back down to the Phoenix area sometime soon. You're obviously very passionate about the game also and I would be interested in hooking up with some WRX'ers to play. Do you ever go up to the Phoenix area?

Also...I still love this thread. Maybe we can overtake the Adam 9015 driver thread, I think we're only 20 pages or so behind it, c'mon people!:yahoo:

[quote name='golfskisleep' timestamp='1303201487' post='3166705']
. I don't see any other sports lowering their dress standards. Those that want to wear jeans would you even consider playing others sports in them - think basketball, football, swimming, cycling, tennis - methinks NOT so don't ruin GOLF!!!!!
[/quote]

Would you play basketball, football, tennis with a pair of trousers and a collared tucked-up polo shirt? Well, if not, then your example is absolutely ridiculous....

Oh, and how would you lower swimming dress standards? Obliging swimmers to wear a pink g-string? :busted2: