2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1302180564' post='3129206']
[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1302179612' post='3129170']
Like i said.. take your money before you can say provisional....
[/quote]

So, do you actually know who this man is and the state of his game, or are you just saying because of his hideous clothing that he is a player?
[/quote]

Its all tounge in cheek bud.....

Ryan Moore wears pants with pleats in the BACK, John Daley wears pants that Bozo wouldn't wear, and more and more PROFESSIONAL golfers are wearing PANTS (not slacks) that are styled EXACTLY like Jeans, and seem to be purposely skirting the rules....

How can you even watch the PGA anymore, you must gouge your eyes out! black%20eye.gif :blind:

Please Muzz, don't try to open closed minds with facts.

Now, this guy looks like a player!

IMG00056.jpg

Ohh yeah, that dude looks the ballz!!

At least he isn't wearing "dirty man clothes of the working class"

LMAO :birthday:

Like i said.. take your money before you can say provisional....

:rolleyes:

I'd rather play golf with 3 guys in ripped jean shorts and sneakers, than play golf with a guy dressed like a clown.

HTH

I have one question for the "traditional golfers"...

How can you even play the game with a pair of pants and a collared shirt?????

Traditional golf required you to play with a tie!!!!!! When did "khakis-polo shirt" become "following the tradition"? Isn't it a complete "ignorant and ridiculous confrontation with golf's tradition"?

So THIS IS HOW WE SHOULD BE PLAYING GOLF IF WE REALLY WANTED TO "AVOID" BRAKING GOLF'S TRADITION:

S279l.JPG

golf.jpg

And ladies, no more short skirts or one piece dresses for you. You are breaking golf's tradition!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE WEARING!!!!

sportsgolf1905193291935marb.jpg

So, I understand people don't wear jeans in the course. I myself don't do so (mostly because I think they are way too hot and I live in sunny Aussie where there are at least 30ºC 90% of the year), but I can't go over the idea of thinking by doing so you are breaking golf's tradition and making it a sport for cheaper less educated people. Just like people talking about "golf's tradition" but playing GI irons, 460cc titanium drivers and 4,5,6- layered balls.

It just doesn't make sense....

Or...

Let's all start playing "wooden" woods, and playing with a tie and vest to keep tradition!!!!!! (or does tradition comes back to we wearing Scottish kilts? :D)

[quote name='redhawkgolf' timestamp='1302440041' post='3137770']
Great post xamilo.
[/quote]
Agreed.

I played yesterday. I had a great time. I did not wear jeans, but I THINK there were people on the course with jeans on. I didn't notice. They were on average 400 yards away and I don't look at men's pants. LOL!
Oh wait... I did see a "Rainbow Brite" colored Ricky Flower wanna-be out there in his pink pants and aqua sweater. He was easy to spot from up to 1000 yards away. VERY traditional. :rolleyes:

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1302455133' post='3138380']
Great post xamilo.
[/quote]
Agreed.

I played yesterday. I had a great time. I did not wear jeans, but I THINK there were people on the course with jeans on. I didn't notice. They were on average 400 yards away and I don't look at men's pants. LOL!
Oh wait... I did see a "Rainbow Brite" colored Ricky Flower wanna-be out there in his pink pants and aqua sweater. He was easy to spot from up to 1000 yards away. VERY traditional. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Actually, the John Daly's take away the excuse of: "I'm sorry I hit into your group...I didn't see you" :cheesy:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I'm playing in the Tucson City Amateur and there are still people wearing jeans out there. I know it's not a PGA event and it doesn't pay cash but come on people, have some respect because of the fact that it is a TOURNAMENT!

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Traditional golf required you to play with a tie!!!!!! When did "khakis-polo shirt" become "following the tradition"? Isn't it a complete "ignorant and ridiculous confrontation with golf's tradition"?

So THIS IS HOW WE SHOULD BE PLAYING GOLF IF WE REALLY WANTED TO "AVOID" BRAKING GOLF'S TRADITION:

S279l.JPG

golf.jpg

And ladies, no more short skirts or one piece dresses for you. You are breaking golf's tradition!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE WEARING!!!!

So, I understand people don't wear jeans in the course. I myself don't do so (mostly because I think they are way too hot and I live in sunny Aussie where there are at least 30ºC 90% of the year), but I can't go over the idea of thinking by doing so you are breaking golf's tradition and making it a sport for cheaper less educated people. Just like people talking about "golf's tradition" but playing GI irons, 460cc titanium drivers and 4,5,6- layered balls.

Or...

Let's all start playing "wooden" woods, and playing with a tie and vest to keep tradition!!!!!! (or does tradition comes back to we wearing Scottish kilts? :D)

:busted2:

LMAO

Well said, but of course the " Elite Traditionalists" will have some kind of silly addendum to throw at ya to make their point....as soon as they make one up!

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1302459469' post='3138525']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1302455133' post='3138380']
Great post xamilo.
[/quote]
Agreed.

[/quote]

Actually, the John Daly's take away the excuse of: "I'm sorry I hit into your group...I didn't see you" :cheesy:
[/quote]
Maybe I should have worn some pink and aqua? Some lady in the group behind me airmailed her drive right over me. I look back and it must have only been 150 yards from me to her. "Oh sorry!" What??! Serves me right for wearing black dress pants. LOL!

S279l.JPG

golf.jpg

Or...

LMAO

Well said, but of course the " Elite Traditionalists" will have some kind of silly addendum to throw at ya to make their point....as soon as they make one up!

Ok let me take a stab at this one. See those clothes? Those were fashionable and respectable clothing for that time period. Now golf, being a game of leisure and of classiness, would naturally change outfits as the outfits of the times changed right? So here we are in the modern era of people wearing jeans as casual wear, but golf shunned the idea and instead went with slacks as the appropriate clothing of golfers. Why? I can only speculate as to say that they wanted to keep the prestige about the game, while also making it comfortable for the wearer. You would never wear jeans as a form or 'business casual' wear, but slacks have both comfort and class to them. The same cannot be said about jeans.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

S279l.JPG

golf.jpg

Or...

LMAO

Ok let me take a stab at this one. See those clothes? Those were fashionable and respectable clothing for that time period. Now golf, being a game of leisure and of classiness, would naturally change outfits as the outfits of the times changed right? So here we are in the modern era of people wearing jeans as casual wear, but golf shunned the idea and instead went with slacks as the appropriate clothing of golfers. Why? I can only speculate as to say that they wanted to keep the prestige about the game, while also making it comfortable for the wearer. You would never wear jeans as a form or 'business casual' wear, but slacks have both comfort and class to them. The same cannot be said about jeans.

What about the clown pants like Daly wears?

Those aren't jeans, those are pants that look like the bottom of a clown outfit, where is the OUTRAGE!?!?

I would wear a nice pair of jeans as business casual before I would wear clown pants.

WHERE is the outrage?! :birthday:

I agree. I think that the pants that Daly wears are pathetic as well. Those do not belong on the course either but they fit into the category of 'slacks'. I personally would ban such things from my course if I could.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302662467' post='3148599']
I agree. I think that the pants that Daly wears are pathetic as well. Those do not belong on the course either but they fit into the category of 'slacks'. I personally would ban such things from my course if I could.
[/quote]

See what ya can do Ship, I'm sick of watching clowns on the course...I'd rather see the working man in jeans hurling up the nighjt B4's gallon of cheap rum on his $12 shoes, before seeing those reject pants on the course.

...but that's just me!:clapping:

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302647183' post='3147629']
[/quote]

You are SO RIGHT! Jeans will [u]never be prestigious[/u], that's why brands like Ralph Laurent included jeans in their pret-a-porte collection for summer 2008, True Religion sells us$300 jeans wore by the mayor fashion experts, Armani launched the "week-end" worker collection using suit and jeans for 2010, Prada took its whole Summertime 2008 collection on female jean's skirts and one piece suits.

Oh wait, this guys actually know about fashion and use jeans in their fashionable haut-couture collections...hum....doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

I agree with you, times change and so should outfits. No one would have played golf without a tie and vest in 1930, since slacks and polos where just way too rude.

Jeans used to be cowboy's wear as well. Hard work was made in jeans when Levi's Strauss introduced the concept in 1873. Jeans where the "people's garment", the "handy-man clothing". As you say, times have change, and today every respectable designer in the fashion world has taken jeans as part of their collections (just follow the examples above), and some of the most expensive more fashionable clothing is made of jean fabric.

This brings to mind a curious example: Cars. 30 years ago pic-up trucks, or even the first intention of SUV trucks where countryman's vehicles, used for carrying horse food, hay, or even your black labrador in the trunk. Today, some pick-ups are more elegant and sophisticated than most cars, SUVs have found a place in traditional brands like Porsche or Lincoln, and old little 4x4s (originally made by Jeep) have taken a step ahead in sophistication. Or would you say a Mercedes G-Class is in any way ordinary?

So, I'm sorry, but jeans are way more fashionable than at least 50% of the slacks you find out there, even if you don't like the way the fashion world has been turning lately. The idea behind using slacks instead of jeans because of how "appropriate" it can be just lacks a steady base. I find much more sense in not using jeans just because the guy owning the course doesn't allow them than because of the "classiness" behind them. Just like Wimbledon: You have to play wearing white. Ok, doesn't make sense but that's the rule, simple.

Times change, and so should preconceived ideas which have no more motive than grandparent's expecting you to stay virgin until marriage because "that's what the tradition states". Just a matter or logic...:rolleyes:

Just as an example and comparison with my above post.

Which would you prefer?

d2_1.jpg

Three piece Denim Suit from D-Square 2009 Spring Milan Catwalk

or...

nov8_poulter_459x600.jpg

Ian Poulter

or...

ept_sports_golf_experts-510064472-1296944442.jpg?ym7E2gEDXMIZ35t5

Ricky Fowler

Is there anybody else going to tell me denim can't be fashionable and elegant, and pants can sometimes be.....HORRENDOUS? :tease:

(And I haven't brought John Daly nor Villegas Pink pants in here hehehe)

Think about it....

You are SO RIGHT! Jeans will never be prestigious, that's why brands like Ralph Laurent included jeans in their pret-a-porte collection for summer 2008, True Religion sells us$300 jeans wore by the mayor fashion experts, Armani launched the "week-end" worker collection using suit and jeans for 2010, Prada took its whole Summertime 2008 collection on female jean's skirts and one piece suits.

Oh wait, this guys actually know about fashion and use jeans in their fashionable haut-couture collections...hum....doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

I agree with you, times change and so should outfits. No one would have played golf without a tie and vest in 1930, since slacks and polos where just way too rude.

Jeans used to be cowboy's wear as well. Hard work was made in jeans when Levi's Strauss introduced the concept in 1873. Jeans where the "people's garment", the "handy-man clothing". As you say, times have change, and today every respectable designer in the fashion world has taken jeans as part of their collections (just follow the examples above), and some of the most expensive more fashionable clothing is made of jean fabric.

This brings to mind a curious example: Cars. 30 years ago pic-up trucks, or even the first intention of SUV trucks where countryman's vehicles, used for carrying horse food, hay, or even your black labrador in the trunk. Today, some pick-ups are more elegant and sophisticated than most cars, SUVs have found a place in traditional brands like Porsche or Lincoln, and old little 4x4s (originally made by Jeep) have taken a step ahead in sophistication. Or would you say a Mercedes G-Class is in any way ordinary?

So, I'm sorry, but jeans are way more fashionable than at least 50% of the slacks you find out there, even if you don't like the way the fashion world has been turning lately. The idea behind using slacks instead of jeans because of how "appropriate" it can be just lacks a steady base. I find much more sense in not using jeans just because the guy owning the course doesn't allow them than because of the "classiness" behind them. Just like Wimbledon: You have to play wearing white. Ok, doesn't make sense but that's the rule, simple.

Times change, and so should preconceived ideas which have no more motive than grandparent's expecting you to stay virgin until marriage because "that's what the tradition states". Just a matter or logic...:rolleyes:

Whoa there cowboy. Excuse me but just because RL or Armani or whoever the hell decides to put jeans on a runway doesn't give them automatic 'fashionable' status. Lest we forget that those SAME brands are the ones behind such atrocities as this.

2399714598_a6a4f88bef.jpg

And this gem

worst0126a.jpg

So by all means, those must be suitable for golf right? I mean they are made by top notch designers no?

But then I'm sure you would also have no problem letting these fine youngsters in, assuming their clothes were made by RL or Armani.

skinny-jeans.jpg

I stand firm on my point. Jeans are working clothes and NOT respectable dress attire.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

You are SO RIGHT! Jeans will never be prestigious, that's why brands like Ralph Laurent included jeans in their pret-a-porte collection for summer 2008, True Religion sells us$300 jeans wore by the mayor fashion experts, Armani launched the "week-end" worker collection using suit and jeans for 2010, Prada took its whole Summertime 2008 collection on female jean's skirts and one piece suits.

Whoa there cowboy. Excuse me but just because RL or Armani or whoever the hell decides to put jeans on a runway doesn't give them automatic 'fashionable' status. Lest we forget that those SAME brands are the ones behind such atrocities as this.

And this gem

worst0126a.jpg

So by all means, those must be suitable for golf right? I mean they are made by top notch designers no?

But then I'm sure you would also have no problem letting these fine youngsters in, assuming their clothes were made by RL or Armani.

skinny-jeans.jpg

I stand firm on my point. Jeans are working clothes and NOT respectable dress attire.

I'm sure you don't realize it, but you just made the best argument for abolishing all clothing requirements on public and private golf courses. That last group of gay, Puerto Rican teens from Brooklyn could quite possible be the best five-some ever to play the game of golf.

And this gem

worst0126a.jpg

skinny-jeans.jpg

I'm sure you don't realize it, but you just made the best argument for abolishing all clothing requirements on public and private golf courses. That last group of gay, Puerto Rican teens from Brooklyn could quite possible be the best five-some ever to play the game of golf.

What makes you think they are gay?

Which would you prefer?

d2_1.jpg

or...

nov8_poulter_459x600.jpg

Ian Poulter

or...

Ricky Fowler

Is there anybody else going to tell me denim can't be fashionable and elegant, and pants can sometimes be.....HORRENDOUS? :tease:

Think about it....

The problem with your pictures is you show the 2 most extreme sides of the spectrum. People that golf in jeans do not golf in $300+ Armani suit jeans, and most golfers do not dress like Fowler or Daly.

Average golfer in jeans

mackan.jpg

Average golfer in slacks and golf shirt

E4FB11AA.jpg

Which of these things, would you say, fit in at a golf course? Which one seems out of place?

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Which would you prefer?

d2_1.jpg

or...

nov8_poulter_459x600.jpg

Ian Poulter

or...

Ricky Fowler

Think about it....

The problem with your pictures is you show the 2 most extreme sides of the spectrum. People that golf in jeans do not golf in $300+ Armani suit jeans, and most golfers do not dress like Fowler or Daly.

Average golfer in jeans

mackan.jpg

E4FB11AA.jpg

Which of these things, would you say, fit in at a golf course? Which one seems out of place?

Depends on the course........of course.......

$15 Trailer Trash Muni that looks like the Tin Cup Range?

If so, then that 2nd guy is a COP, and the place is clearin' out! :busted2:

I will wear jeans in the Fall on a course if it costs less than $30 for a round of 18 holes. Now if I belonged to a specific golf club or when I play at higher level courses then I would not wear jeans. I agree they look a little odd, but I don't think they are disrespectful. I have definitely seen worse on a golf course other than a pair of jeans.

Being from Montana, if you don't own a pair of Levi's it is clear that you are an "outta towner" For about the past month I have been playing in jeans. I have a annual pass at the local public course, and I play there almost every day. Now the reason I have been wearing jeans is simple, it is between 35 and 50 degrees out everyday (assuming there is no snow). I wear jeans to school almost everyday and when I come home I just go to the course and play. During the summer, however, when the weather is more predictable, I wear slacks/khakis/golf shorts w/ a polo tucked in everyday I play/practice. My very good friend was the Oregon Open Champion in 1986 I believe (he is also author of the book Golf Nuts). He has won the Montana State Senior Amateur twice in five years, and he is a great player. We've played together many times this spring and 90% of those rounds have been played by both of us wearing jeans. I would like any of you to go to him and tell him that he is a "chop" for wearing jeans. I dare you!

That being said, when there is a dress code in place, or it is a tournament, or any formal round, or like I said in the summer, you'll find me and him decked out in slacks and polos.

Average golfer in jeans

mackan.jpg

E4FB11AA.jpg

This is exactly the point I wanted to get to, and I thank you very much for bringing it up.

Ignorance has made people think anybody using jeans is going to look like a cheap guy with a John Deere Truck-Hat on, a sleeveless shirt and three nose rings. Where do you get the stats about the "average" golfer wearing jeans looks like the pic you posted? I've played with lots of people using jeans in the course, and they surely look quite different from that. You can perfectly wear a pair of jeans, a tucked Polo-Shirt and look pretty good I'd have to say.

If you take out the idea of thinking denim is the devil just for being denim and twill is your god, you might find there are some very nice fashionable, elegant ways to use denim.

Just a couple of examples of people who I think look very very good in denim... You can look good in Denim, I promise.

00002f.jpg

marcjacobs-irregular-navyblue-blazer.jpg

image1xl.jpg

Oh, and as a bonus, here is the 2009 voted Best Dressed Man, Mr Ralph Laurent, using a pair of jeans and blazer for his catwalk in Paris most important fashion week.

2141328136-ralph-lauren-inspira-crisis-presenta-coleccion-jeans-flores.jpg?x=380&y=258&q=75&sig=JvfM7YjtWKzJspfrcL654Q--

...just to let you know even he uses them in important occasions.

Oh, and the "average" golfer in slacks and polo shirt looks rather like the picture below than to the picture you posted...

pink-golfer.jpg

So, at the end, wouldn't you agree with me it's not what fabric you are wearing but how you wear it?

You can perfectly have some people looking great wearing jeans on the course, as you can have the hippest most horrible ones looking as tacky as humanly possible.

You can look awesomely good in slacks, as you can wear them and look like a bankrupted pimp.

Take care mate...

[quote name='VALDO' timestamp='1302727703' post='3150782']
[/quote]

Indeed. Its like watching Villegas, Fowler and Parnevik pants changed into capris :yahoo:

Oh, and Shipwreck, by the way, Ralph Laurent does swimwear as well, and no, I don't consider it golfing attire either :shout: