2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

marking your golf ball

Eec55

what do you use?
i have heard of people using "paint pens" to mark thier ball. has anyone used these? do they affect performance of the ball? what is a good marking device to use that will not smear and come off!!

Taylor Made M4 Project X HAZRDS
Ping I20 5-pw
Ping Eye 2+ BECU 3,4 iron
Titleist Vokey SM6 54,60
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red putter
Titleist 917f 3 wood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mark with a red sharpie a full line around the ball. It still comes off of the ball, but it is nice to see where you hit the ball with your clubs as it will leave a little red mark on the club.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I am one who uses a regular black sharpie along with a sharpie permanent paint pen. I use the black sharpie to draw a line on the ball for putting alignment. My personal mark is a black line on top of a vegas gold line underneath the number. Those used to be my baseball team colors. I saw one of the pro's do something like this about 2 years ago and it sparked that idea. I have done that every since. The gold paint stays on the ball unless you are playing in very wet conditions. Then I end up with just the black line.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried spin balancing and floating golf balls in an epsom salt solution.

For putting, I prefer a salt solution since the high spot (lightest part) from a balance point comes to the top.

I then draw a dot at the high spot and a line on either side of the high spot. The ball seems to putt truer along the line.

For on course balls, the spinn balancer finds a gyro-scopic equator for the ball. I seem to hit the ball straighter when I drive withn the equator perdendicular to the ground.

It is likely that the "part between the ears" has more to do it than any thing.

The rules of golf says any identifying mark is acceptable and asking someone if the golf ball has been balanced usually eliminates any questions about whose ball it is.

I have tried spin balancing and floating golf balls in an epsom salt solution.

For putting, I prefer a salt solution since the high spot (lightest part) from a balance point comes to the top.

I then draw a dot at the high spot and a line on either side of the high spot. The ball seems to putt truer along the line.

For on course balls, the spinn balancer finds a gyro-scopic equator for the ball. I seem to hit the ball straighter when I drive withn the equator perdendicular to the ground.

It is likely that the "part between the ears" has more to do it than any thing.

The rules of golf says any identifying mark is acceptable and asking someone if the golf ball has been balanced usually eliminates any questions about whose ball it is.

I have yet to find a ball that floats in the water hazards for me and the ones that spin sideways usually get lost OOB.

For me it means that the ones I don't lose are the perfectly balanced and spin tuned balls that fly perfectly straight etc.

Sadly they seem to get out of balance regularly. :russian_roulette:

What do I use? Nothing.

The factories do this for us!!! :clapping: The balls come pre-marked with a single digit number, that's the purpose of it... This ball marking thing is America at it's worst! :russian_roulette:

It isn't at all unusal for me to be in a foursome where 3 of us (including me) are playing Pro-V1's. IMHO not marking your ball, if you play a very common golf ball, is a poor choice requiring you to coordinate ball numbers with your playing partners, etc. And even if you are careful there is no guarantee that your playing partners are.

I mark my balls with either the Greek letter Psi (looks like a pitchfork) or an "H-bar" (letter h with a line through the top). Psi is the typical variable defining the quantum mechanics state variable and h-bar is Planck's constant (reduced). These are both fundamental to the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle which states that you cannot know exactly the momentum and position of a quantum particle at the same time.

The Rules of Golf require that you only hit a golf ball when it is at rest (zero momentum). The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle would then state that, in this case, you cannot know the position of the ball. So obviously in that case you can't then hit the ball accurately so when I hit a bad shot it clearly isn't my fault - hence the choice of markings :-)

dave

What do I use? Nothing.

The factories do this for us!!! :clapping: The balls come pre-marked with a single digit number, that's the purpose of it... This ball marking thing is America at it's worst! :russian_roulette:

It isn't at all unusal for me to be in a foursome where 3 of us (including me) are playing Pro-V1's. IMHO not marking your ball, if you play a very common golf ball, is a poor choice requiring you to coordinate ball numbers with your playing partners, etc. And even if you are careful there is no guarantee that your playing partners are.

I mark my balls with either the Greek letter Psi (looks like a pitchfork) or an "H-bar" (letter h with a line through the top). Psi is the typical variable defining the quantum mechanics state variable and h-bar is Planck's constant (reduced). These are both fundamental to the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle which states that you cannot know exactly the momentum and position of a quantum particle at the same time.

The Rules of Golf require that you only hit a golf ball when it is at rest (zero momentum). The Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle would then state that, in this case, you cannot know the position of the ball. So obviously in that case you can't then hit the ball accurately so when I hit a bad shot it clearly isn't my fault - hence the choice of markings :-)

dave

Dude, although i've taken quantum mechanics, i can tell you that most of the people here are going to read this and respond how they do on "Bones" When Dr. Brennan makes a joke.... Silence.

I understand, and it's kinda funnny, and interesting, but also wierd.

Albert Einstien once called certin properties and predictions of Quantum Mechanics "Spooky action at a distance" which certinally describes some of my golf shots!! Ha ha!

dave

I draw a picture of Schrodinger's cat on my ball.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal