2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hogan's Secret...what is it? what is it not? (Hogan Threads Merged)

Gxgolfer

Fats. Did a search for that book. Found this: decent MAN.......

This book was published with the cooperation of the heirs to the estate of Ben and Valerie Hogan. All of their royalties will go toward the newly established Ben Hogan Foundation, a non-profit foundation for the betterment of golf and the support of charities which reflect Ben Hogan's core values.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone said that Hogan kept weight right pre-secret because he didn't push off his right foot (referring to Sevam's idea of keeping pressure on the ball of the right foot). That doesn't make sense to me because Hogan's head starting moving backwards in the downswing pretty early back then. Weight is going to stay right no matter what with the head going back like that.

Gotta be one helluva toe.............................

Bad evidence. The clubhead has past the right leg. Thanks for trying.

Oh c'mon for crying out loud...I don't know a single good player who didn't do what Sevam1 hangs his hat on, it's absolutely no discovery at all.

I think someone said that Hogan kept weight right pre-secret because he didn't push off his right foot (referring to Sevam's idea of keeping pressure on the ball of the right foot). That doesn't make sense to me because Hogan's head starting moving backwards in the downswing pretty early back then. Weight is going to stay right no matter what with the head going back like that.

Oh c'mon for crying out loud...I don't know a single good player who didn't do what Sevam1 hangs his hat on, it's absolutely no discovery at all.

Thank you!!!!!

And the secret is a visible maneuver:

Hogan said "it's plain to see if you knew where to look." I guess he didn't know there'd be videotape.

I've been told after Schlee went to Hogan the players smirked at his new swing, til they saw they saw the results. They didn't smirk anymore.

In that quote Hogan was talking about his Secret that was published in the Time 1955 article. Those Secret moves (weak grip, cupped left wrist, fanning the club fully open) were all visible if you looked in the right places.

Sevam1's "Move" is completely different. Pre-torque the right foot clockwise, which backshifts the right hip, add a solid push with the right foot through impact and you automatically post up nicely on the left side.

Hogan's pre-Secret video shows the right heel moving counterclockwise, which reduces the backshift and weakens his foot drive through impact, so he didn't post as nicely to his left side. I think that is a big reason he looks like he is off balance and hanging on the right side.

I also see in his post-secret swing:

His right arm helps his left arm stay straight, which helped shorten his backswing while still maintaining a full coil. The shorter backswing (along with the maximum open clubface) made it easier for him to deliver a full release yet avoid his dreaded hook.

I think you guys are trying to be too specific on identifying ONE thing that Hogan changed, when in reality he made a lot of changes. Certainly more than just a "left release" or a pre-torqued right foot.

Narrow stance=greater COG transfer. I've seen Mac do all kinds of stuff, sometimes he sets up with tilt (reverse K) sometimes he doesn't depends on the shot. It's a bit easier to release left with less tilt.

You got that right.......I got too wide never got to my (left) pivot point had to block it to keep 'er straight. A well struck ball went 40 yds left even with a non DTL release. Slice said sic "you're fightin physics, hit it like we want and you'll go left of left off the planet." He told me of Mac's stance, been narrow ever since.

What keeps on repeating here....left?

PS I've seen similar hands on another video?

Yes you have:

post-42744-1215359001-1_thumb.jpg

And the secret is a visible maneuver:

Hogan said "it's plain to see if you knew where to look." I guess he didn't know there'd be videotape.

I've been told after Schlee went to Hogan the players smirked at his new swing, til they saw they saw the results. They didn't smirk anymore.

In that quote Hogan was talking about his Secret that was published in the Time 1955 article. Those Secret moves (weak grip, cupped left wrist, fanning the club fully open) were all visible if you looked in the right places.

Sevam1's "Move" is completely different. Pre-torque the right foot clockwise, which backshifts the right hip, add a solid push with the right foot through impact and you automatically post up nicely on the left side.

Hogan's pre-Secret video shows the right heel moving counterclockwise, which reduces the backshift and weakens his foot drive through impact, so he didn't post as nicely to his left side. I think that is a big reason he looks like he is off balance and hanging on the right side.

His right arm helps his left arm stay straight, which helped shorten his backswing while still maintaining a full coil. The shorter backswing (along with the maximum open clubface) made it easier for him to deliver a full release yet avoid his dreaded hook.

I think you guys are trying to be too specific on identifying ONE thing that Hogan changed, when in reality he made a lot of changes. Certainly more than just a "left release" or a pre-torqued right foot.

Ok only problem is Hogan didn't have a hip back shift like Sevam does:

post-42744-1215358819-1_thumb.jpg

Hogan never got in that position. Also, the way Sevam is describing the secret (consciously trying to keep weight on the right leg) does not comply with anything Hogan said or what others have said about his swing (see VJ Trolio book quote). Hogan was trying to go left, but Sevam really seems to like the right..

Narrow stance=greater COG transfer. I've seen Mac do all kinds of stuff, sometimes he sets up with tilt (reverse K) sometimes he doesn't depends on the shot. It's a bit easier to release left with less tilt.
You got that right.......I got too wide never got to my (left) pivot point had to block it to keep 'er straight. A well struck ball went 40 yds left even with a non DTL release. Slice said sic "you're fightin physics, hit it like we want and you'll go left of left off the planet." He told me of Mac's stance, been narrow ever since.What keeps on repeating here....left?PS I've seen similar hands on another video?
Yes you have:post-42744-1215359001-1_thumb.jpg

Stop it at 39-40 seconds. Looks just like sevam1

I think you guys are trying to be too specific on identifying ONE thing that Hogan changed, when in reality he made a lot of changes. Certainly more than just a "left release".

The quote in the article refers to his decade long secret, not what he revealed ie what we're trying to decipher. That's how I read it: got the article.

Ben Hogan finally reveals the mysterious maneuver that made him a champion

Ben Hogan, the greatest golfer of his—and probably anybody else' —time, is also the creator of the game 's most subtle intrigue . He has vowed steadfastly that the reason for success over the last decade has been a mysterious device incorporated into his swing. "It is easy to see if you know where to look," he said………

Snead said he shortened his BS. (Backswing, not the move.......) :)

But his posting up was because of his release, we'll disagree on that, but a good point nonetheless. Read Tilt's post on Max. Golf and Trolio's book.

And I was told it was Schlee's set up and swing that looked different

But you're right dude more than one thing.......

Bpar

That's a great video....of Hogan....obviously presecret as he Harley's em DTL :)

Slighter Auburn

You got that right.......I got too wide never got to my (left) pivot point had to block it to keep 'er straight. A well struck ball went 40 yds left even with a non DTL release. Slice said sic "you're fightin physics, hit it like we want and you'll go left of left off the planet." He told me of Mac's stance, been narrow ever since. What keeps on repeating here....left? PS I've seen similar hands on another video?
Yes you have: post-42744-1215359001-1_thumb.jpg

Stop it at 39 seconds. Looks just like sevam1

Very good observation!! A few things. S&T utilizes a DTL release to hit the ball high, not my personal preference but that's what they've chosen. S&T is different than MORAD, and the big difference is the release (there are other differences but I'm not allowed to get into them).

Hogan never got in that position. Also, the way Sevam is describing the secret (consciously trying to keep weight on the right leg) does not comply with anything Hogan said or what others have said about his swing (see VJ Trolio book quote). Hogan was trying to go left, but Sevam really seems to like the right..

Tilt, you don't understand what Sevam1 keeps saying. I'll try to help explain it for you:

Keeping the weight right is not "The Move". The Move is a clockwise pre-torque of the right foot, which promotes a backshift, add a solid push with the right foot through impact and you end up posting to the left leg.

Sevam1 has said a bunch times that his swing isn't the same as Hogan's, so I'm not sure why you keep posting photos. His swing is a hybrid of Moe Norman, Hogan, Trevino and Mike Maves. And he's goofing around in a lot of those videos, so you can cherrypick lots of still frames to prove whatever point you are trying to prove (?).

Thank you!!!!!

Let's put this is perspective, if the move is that universal in good players' swings, perhaps Sevam1's pre-torque/backshift discovery is more important than merely explaining the Hawk's swing, it makes an essential component of a powerful repeating golf swing easily accessible for us mortals.

Tilt, you don't understand what Sevam1 keeps saying. I'll try to help explain it for you:

Keeping the weight right is not "The Move". The Move is a clockwise pre-torque of the right foot, which promotes a backshift, add a solid push with the right foot through impact and you end up posting to the left leg.

Sevam1 has said a bunch times that his swing isn't the same as Hogan's, so I'm not sure why you keep posting photos. His swing is a hybrid of Moe Norman, Hogan, Trevino and Mike Maves. And he's goofing around in a lot of those videos, so you can cherrypick lots of still frames to prove whatever point you are trying to prove (?).

Ok, well we've all explained several times why we see no benefit to "the move" so I'm not going to bother repeating myself.

I think you guys are trying to be too specific on identifying ONE thing that Hogan changed, when in reality he made a lot of changes. Certainly more than just a "left release".

The quote in the article refers to his decade long secret, not what he revealed ie what we're trying to decipher. That's how I read it: got the article.

Ben Hogan, the greatest golfer of his—and probably anybody else' —time, is also the creator of the game 's most subtle intrigue . He has vowed steadfastly that the reason for success over the last decade has been a mysterious device incorporated into his swing. "It is easy to see if you know where to look," he said………

But his posting up was because of his release, we'll disagree on that, but a good point nonetheless. Read Tilt's post on Max. Golf and Trolio's book.

Bpar

That's a great video....of Hogan....obviously presecret as he Harley's em DTL :)

With his legs wrapped in bandages, it tighten (restricted) his swing. Tight wrap, tighter swing?

Tilt, why don't you wrap your legs in bandages and report back tomorrow.

Bpar

With his legs wrapped in bandages, it tighten (restricted) his swing. Tight wrap, tighter swing?

Tilt, why don't you wrap your legs in bandages and report back tomorrow.

I'll just take your word on it.

Ok, well we've all explained several times why we see no benefit to "the move" so I'm not going to bother repeating myself.

You see no benefit to a reliable and fairly automatic method of posting to the left side?

Go down the line on your favourite driving range and count the number of people who post left, then maybe you'll understand why it's important. Most golf books don't even talk about posting left.

You see no benefit to a reliable and fairly automatic method of posting to the left side?

Go down the line on your favourite driving range and count the number of people who post left, then maybe you'll understand why it's important. Most golf books don't even talk about posting left.

Uhhh.......I post onto my left side. I don't really think it's that hard to do. If you can offer me some evidence or give a scientific explanation as to how this makes the swing automatic, please do so. IMOP the whole right foot left foot torque thing with the torque change in transition etc. sounds overly complicated and of no concrete benefit. Why is it automatic? Why is it reliable? This is the swing method I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Yc7Pq8Eqg . He gets posted left everytime. Look up SF's students, they get posted left everytime. Of course golf books talk about this, it isn't exactly a new concept. Arriving at the finish position with essentially all of your weight on your left leg? That's been in golf instruction as long as I can remember. Trust me, I understand the importance of shifting the weight to the left leg.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hogan's swing? I mean Byron nelson owned Hogan time and time again, then retired. All these giant Ego's and "I know more than you do" about Hogans swing is really kind of getting retarded.

I personally would like for Tiltswing, Eightiron, Fvcallo and all the other Internet know it all's to post their swings. I would like to see them. What do you say guys, post some videos eh?

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hogan's swing? I mean Byron nelson owned Hogan time and time again, then retired. All these giant Ego's and "I know more than you do" about Hogans swing is really kind of getting retarded.

I personally would like for Tiltswing, Eightiron, Fvcallo and all the other Internet know it all's to post their swings. I would like to see them. What do you say guys, post some videos eh?

A sequence of fcavallo's swing has already been posted on this site. Eightiron is working on getting his up here and I will also post mine at some point. Either way, seeing our swings is totally irrelevant, none of us are claiming to use Hogan's secret, or have Hogan-like swings. Everything we've said can be seen clearly by looking at footage of Hogan's swing; you don't need our swings to check if what we're saying is true. Also, about Nelson, there's a lot more to golf than the swing

A sequence of fcavallo's swing has already been posted on this site. Eightiron is working on getting his up here and I will also post mine at some point. Either way, seeing our swings is totally irrelevant, none of us are claiming to know Hogan's secret. Everything we've said can be seen clearly by looking at footage of Hogan's swing; you don't need our swings to check if what we're saying is true. Also, about Nelson, there's a lot more to golf than the swing

I do think that posting your own swing and showing how you have utilized your knowledge is relevant. I think it will certainly give your comments some backbone. I suppose it's called practicing what your preach. You can send me your swing via email if you don't want to post it ok?

Uhhh.......I post onto my left side. I don't really think it's that hard to do. If you can offer me some evidence or give a scientific explanation as to how this makes the swing automatic, please do so. IMOP the whole right foot left foot torque thing with the torque change in transition etc. sounds overly complicated and of no concrete benefit. Why is it automatic? Why is it reliable? This is the swing method I use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Yc7Pq8Eqg . He gets posted left everytime. Look up SF's students, they get posted left everytime. Of course golf books talk about this, it isn't exactly a new concept. Arriving at the finish position with essentially all of your weight on your left leg? That's been in golf instruction as long as I can remember. Trust me, I understand the importance of shifting the weight to the left leg.

To me there's a huge difference between shifting the weight to the left leg and posting to the left leg. Shifting the weight doesn't mean that you get the weight back on the left heel, and it doesn't mean you hit against the left side. Lots of people try to shift left and they end up with their head going left as well.

The "scientific" reason that Sevam1's Move works is because the clockwise rotation of the right foot forces your weight to transfer back toward the left heel, rather than just toward the target. It promotes a backshift. Torquing the left foot clockwise can add an even stronger move onto the left heel. Either way, you post up and into a solid left side.

From what I have seen in 40 years of golfing, only a few people out of 100 can backshift onto their left heel. Sevam1 is trying to change that. Are you trying to help people?

Some random comments, you can apply them if you've followed the thread. Tiger does hang back at times with the driver, he's a unique case in that he makes some wonderfully rotational swings with his irons, but can really mess up a driver swing. They talked about it to no end when his knee injury sidelined him..they showed video after video of him not reaching his left pivot point through the ball.

You guys can try this one, get into your golf stance and set up with your back foot perpendicular to the target line just how hogan said. Now keep your right knee flexed and don't let it move away from the target...then proceed to make a backswing only to about 9 oclock..freeze. Take note to what your foot feels like. Tell me it doesn't feel like its screwing into the ground...Its a new way to say an old thing..But its not his secret.

pretorquing the right foot has helped me develop a different way to add speed to the clubhead and a reliable way to ensure I make it to my left pivot point. I understand a lot of emphasis is put on the right foot in the way sevam1 talks, however when I pretorque the right foot I end up on my left side before my downswing begins. The more momentum I put into that right foot, the more momentum I get out of the ground, thus the farther my COG shifts left... and the more seperation I create. When I feel that seperation I also feel a tremendous stretch in my Left lat, and shoulder. When i feel that stretch I usually hit it 15-20 further.

When you put momentum into anything that is stationary, you get the equal and opposite reaction back. In the case of Hogan, his right leg is slanted through the entire swing; so when you put that clockwise momentum into a slanted leg obviously its going to move whatever is attached to it in the direction of the slant.. s The reason Hogan fell over backwards in presecret video "hogan's mystique" is because he hit into a slanted LEFT leg at impact. Its quite simple to see if you look at a baseball player how that recoil effect can happen.... see griffey:

EDIT: you can also see the seperation and stretch he creates when he steps forward.. this is why I think a step drill is one of the BEST drills out there to create that seperation and add some distance.

Where in that video do you see Hogans left hip back up? His left hip if up against a wall would have to retreat for him to be hanging back. Now I will agree he is staying back with is upper like he is suppose too, but anyone that says he is hanging back does not understand what hanging back is.

Really? Then you are going against every reasonable person on this forum, including SF and dfw1500, who are the Hogan experts. Do you literally not see Hogan fall backwards after he hits the shot???? His head is working backwards and he has way too much weight on the back leg.

Compare Hogan's finish here:

BenHoganImpactSequence1.jpg

With his finish here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNgMNK3CtWU

Stop it at 0:07. I hope for the sake of everyone that has ever taken a lesson with you that you see the difference.

So I guess you are saying Tiger Stays on his right side.???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't you see the difference between Tiger's right heel angle with the ground and Hogan's pre-secret right heel angle with the ground? Buddy, this is so simple, I don't understand how you cannot understand this, I don't think there is a single person who cannot see this.

ANSWER THIS QUESTION: DO YOU OR DO YOU NOT SEE HOGAN LITERALLY FALL BACKWARDS, ALMOST COMPLETELY LOSING BALANCE, ON THAT PRE-SECRET FACE ON DRIVER SWING????

And this is where I stop reading this thread. Do you really think your huge font makes your words facts? You ruin every thread you're involved in..

Hogan sure left a lot of secrets before he died, didn't he?

I've never been a real fan of Hogan's swing, or his mystique either. The only real secret is there isn't any. People seem to think there is one magic move to transform your game - there isn't.

Hogan was a famously aloof and sometimes gruff individual who simply had a determined work ethic. He practiced golf. Daily. His life was largely a story of triumph over adversity. That is the only real fact.

Hogan's swing does contain some sound fundamentals, but it's not a swing to emulate for everyone. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is to develop your own technique.

But you cannot brow-beat your own opinion onto anyone else in a manner that resembles some sort of religious zealot. Hogan may be God to some, but not me thanks.

How about a couple true or false questions?

"No one will swing like Ben Hogan" True or false?

"Hogan hung back in this swing without any weight shift" True or false?

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=NkWzY4lFp1U

No matter true of false, we can learn something from others....and Hogan, He is my idol...alway true.

false and false. Just as I said he's doing something no different than a baseball player. ALL of his momentum was going into that left foot, how on earth could he have hung back if his right foot is weightless and sliding on the ground. The fall back is just a result oh all his pressure going into a slanted left leg. Look at the DTL version of the first "5 lessons" swing in swing mystique. He still falls back on the right foot.

"He still falls back". Yes, and therein lies the truth. In order to fall back, consider that he falls back from WHERE?

Just as surely as Bubba Watson ( a Fred Couples on steroids!!) today, Hogan is rebounding from a forceful momentum shift into and onto his left leg /side. Hang back on the other hand implies never reaching the front leg. dts

The reason Hogan fell over backwards in presecret video "hogan's mystique" is because he hit into a slanted LEFT leg at impact.

Correct, what changed he posted up and released left? Yes? No?

I agree with you wholeheartedly the whole point is to get left. If the move does it good. But as long as you brace your leg any decent pivot will get you left.

And if indeed the move gets you left then GREAT it also works. But it ain't his secret, he braced pre/post secret.

OK I'll toss you it: the move works. Now what? Once you're left you can still hit a hook with a DTL release as do any/all the pros?

From Life:

THE better swing you have and the better player you become--as far as hitting the ball, that is—the more definitely you become a hooker . The mechanics of a good swing demands a hook. To get distance the hands roll into the ball just before the point of impact and after it is hit the wrists roll over the top of' the shaft: . When hit this way -- the way the best tournament players hit it—there is nothing for the ball to do but take off low and hard . It curls from right to left at the end of its flight. It comes into a green or fairway hot, like a fighter plane landing . It is very hard to control, or at least I found it so.

I was having trouble getting the ball in the air. I had a low, ducking, agonizing hook, the kind you can hang your coat on.. When it caught the rough it was the terror of the field mice . I tried all the conventional cures—opening the stance, altering the grip, using more left arm and cutting the ball . They all worked, but in the process they cut down my distance by five to 1,0 yards. Five yards is a long way. You can 't give anybody five yards . You can ' t correct a fault with a fault .

What does that tell you? Interpret it how you want; I read it as i need to figure out a way to not turn over the toe and hit it as hard as I want............................ie how do I release the club w/out letting the toe catch the heel. Use the pivot to release the club, not the hands. That IMHO is the key to the secret.

No matter what method you use to get left you still have to deal with the clubface. The right foot doesn't do that, it get's you left but it doesn't cure the hooks, which is what the secret did.

PS That's me, sneakers and all. And yes I'm fat, a major obstacle as that 80# in front of my spine causes lift, sway and gets in the way........destroyed my old swing and rebuilt/-ing in March.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FfizZ6tPC_A

Slighter Auburn