2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seven clubs or fewer?

I think it's all a matter of perspective with which clubs you are most confident with.

As for myself, i feel deadly with my eight iron, so the eight is included. A deuce, off the tee gives me a good tee ball and long fairway shot. Add the deuce.

I gotta have a sandiron and putter, so pencil those in.

Next, I'm looking at the 3 pars for distance. Normally the 4,6, and already mentioned 8 will cover them.

That leaves two big gaps. One between the deuce and 4 iron and one between the 8 and sandiron.

I hit the pw better than the 2 iron and more often, so stick the wedge in the bag.

I used to play with just four clubs, all the time, 3w, 7i, pw and putter. Playing with a whole bag, now, still has me a little baffled (finding one, or two swings that fit them all - yikes!). I think you either need to play with as many as you're allowed, or as few as you can. In my own experience, the fewer clubs I played with, the fewer mishits. Also, my feel for just a few clubs was always going to be greater than with more clubs, which I found really valuable when manufacturing shots. Were I to go the four club route again, I'd go with 3H, 8i, gw, putter. With four clubs, my game was basically 'whack, whack, chip, putt'. Now, with a whole bag, it's often 'whack, whack, chunk, skull, chip...putt, putt, putt'. (Maybe I should go back to four.)

• Like 1

I think it's all a matter of perspective with which clubs you are most confident with.

As for myself, i feel deadly with my eight iron, so the eight is included. A deuce, off the tee gives me a good tee ball and long fairway shot. Add the deuce.

I gotta have a sandiron and putter, so pencil those in.

Next, I'm looking at the 3 pars for distance. Normally the 4,6, and already mentioned 8 will cover them.

That leaves two big gaps. One between the deuce and 4 iron and one between the 8 and sandiron.

I hit the pw better than the 2 iron and more often, so stick the wedge in the bag.

A deuce.??? WTH? LMAO

Common term for a 2-wood ...

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

The "Deuce"

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The "Deuce"

Yeah buddy, that's Kool! Never seen one of those before. Thx's for posting. Added to the forever expanding classic club "radar" list.

Did find a 13* V Steel T/S for very cheap today. Almost a Deuce, but not quite meeting the "Classical" definition. So a Deuce wannabe.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I used to play with just four clubs, all the time, 3w, 7i, pw and putter. Playing with a whole bag, now, still has me a little baffled (finding one, or two swings that fit them all - yikes!). I think you either need to play with as many as you're allowed, or as few as you can. In my own experience, the fewer clubs I played with, the fewer mishits. Also, my feel for just a few clubs was always going to be greater than with more clubs, which I found really valuable when manufacturing shots. Were I to go the four club route again, I'd go with 3H, 8i, gw, putter. With four clubs, my game was basically 'whack, whack, chip, putt'. Now, with a whole bag, it's often 'whack, whack, chunk, skull, chip...putt, putt, putt'. (Maybe I should go back to four.)

This right here in a nutshell is why I play 5. Well put sprinkle.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

About my feelings too.....made me chuckle your last bit

Ya, I kinda have a special on for a Deuce if I could find one for the right price as a curiosity as much as anything. The one pictured is the first lefty I've run across. It was on the auction site for $50 I think.

For me, it wouldn't be all that practical as I expect it would go about the same off a tee as my 11° driver and I can't hit the matching 4W very well off the deck, so a 2W is pretty much out of the question in that regard.

Now a Divine Nine, that could be fun! But, when they show up on auction they disappear quick! They have to be one of the most popular vintage woods out there. I still see them popping up in bags from time-to-time out and about on the course. A Godsend for people who can't hit long irons and don't like hybrids.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update now I've played a few comps and finally the weather is lovely!! Been well hot all week, anyway, back to the golf......started in God awful weather on another course for a charity event and scrambled to 34 points and a bottle of wine. The hybrids really performed and made golf so much easier. Had 2 stoke plays since and just played steady stuff with the hybrids being the main reason I'm scoring ok.

But this evening was my best, same as before but I actually putted like a golfer and holed a few. Boy my putting let's me down but that's another topic, but playing 7-8 clubs has been a delight. Best thing about today was playing with a scratch player who is a top bloke and some player (for 35 years) but he did make a few comments about playing minimal golf (complementary by the way) and actually had him thinking why he's got 14 clubs in the bag!!!

I recently started to take lessons and the pro I'm seeing has no problems with me playing with 5 he said more golfers should try it. He generally tees off with a driving iron only course is short enough that he doesn't like where his second shots are when teeing up the driver.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

My last couple of times have been 3W, 5h, 7i, 9i, 54 wedge, putter. It works well and my scores were good. I can use the 9i like a partial wedge when needed. I get out at times when I'm likely to have clear sailing on one of the nines. When carrying a sunday bag, if I only play one ball it only takes about 1:20 to play the nine. That's even with a couple of very long walks across streets (subdivision course). I'm not walking hard though. The point is, it's a good bit faster than pushing a cart because the bag truly goes everywhere I go. Also, I think the fewer clubs leads to keeping the ball in front of me, and aiming away from trouble, which ends up saving time.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 weeks later...

Felt like the gap between my 27 hybrid and 7 iron was for some reason bugging me, maybe I just like a 6 iron too much. Anyway, went to a golf warehouse knowing they have a collection of all sorts and in a huge bag of all sorts was a Callaway x12 6 iron (graphite shaft). For a £5 I really didn't have much to lose and played it last night. I'm really impressed, boy it's a doddle to hit and bridged that gap better than a 7 iron. Basically, it's easier for me to turn a 6 iron into a 7 iron shot.....in fact if hit full there's little difference. I for some reason just prefer a 6 iron, now I'm looking for the 8 iron! But I'm still plodding along enjoying my set up and golf in general

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update on my foray into playing a "short bag" (think short stack of pancakes).

Just a dozen or so rounds this year due to a job change, but playing just 8 clubs has been a blessing. Somehow my index has come down about a stroke since January with the June 1st GHIN revision (now 10.4). In my case, keeping things simple pays dividends.

This keeps up and I'll be entertaining going the single-length route for the 6-8-P.... :superman:

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

• 2 months later...

Well season is coming to an end as we all enter Autumn soon and after stupidly going back to a fuller set I do feel daft. I was enjoying minimal golf, but on the bright side I found some cracking ping eye 2s with regular graphite shafts. Some clubs were missing so it's made my decision to go back to what works best easier....the 3,4,5 irons have been flogged on eBay - I actually hit the 6 iron further than the 4&5??!! But my trouble is temptation, if the club's are there I can't help myself but put them in the bag.

So as of today, I'm now a permanent minimal golfer who plays driver, 7 wood, hybrid, 6,8,pw,sw & putter. A sad tale of stupidity which many golfers suffer from!

So as of today, I'm now a permanent minimal golfer who plays driver, 7 wood, hybrid, 6,8,pw,sw & putter. A sad tale of stupidity which many golfers suffer from!

I like it. Very similar to what I played in the modern set-up most of the summer at least for the top end of the bag. I will probably take a similar approach with woods and blades playing: brassie, cleek, ginty, 5-SW. Should be fun!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Have followed this thread for sometime. I stumbled on the "minimalist" bag some time ago.

I enjoy getting down to 10-11 clubs with a sunday bag but today I got it down to 8 !

37-40 from the blue tees (6200 yds) First 5 holes into a strong wind. My bag consisted of

a Hogan speed slot 4 wood, and 76 staff blades consisting of a 4i, 6i, 7i, 8i, pw, a fg17 sw

and a '59 flange bullseye putter. I faded down the stretch ( finished bogey-bogey on b2b

par 5s no less) but really enjoyed playing with only 8 !

I agree with the "if the clubs there I feel obligated to put it in play" mentality. And, it is not always the most prudent approach.

My best minimal bag consists of:

2,4,6,8,pw,sw,putter.

Playing senior tees the 2 iron is usually adequate enough in yardage and behaves much better over the long haul than the one or two times a round my driver can go on independent operations.

The best part of my game this year has been the short game. Having the best putting season of my life. Made a key adjustment early in the year and it has paid dividends. Teally takes pressure off when you feel confident that you can make a 3 foot comebacker.

The best part of my game this year has been the short game. Having the best putting season of my life. Made a key adjustment early in the year and it has paid dividends. Really takes pressure off when you feel confident that you can make a 3 foot comebacker.

Truer words have not been spoken!

I don't know what it is about that old Zing, but since I've put it in the bag I'm like a new man on the greens! Perhaps the strangest part is that I have fewer hooked putts or blocked putts than I ever had with supposedly more stable heads. The renewed sense of control has improved my feel and freed up my stroke. All of a sudden I'm making putts from all sorts of ranges and it hasn't been a one off, but more of a trend.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, my kit consisted of the extended driver length Taylor R11 3W at it's lowest setting (14 deg?), 2009 x forged 6I and 9I, a rescued Warrior lob wedge, and Bulls Eye putter, five clubs. I was hitting the R11 off the tee over 200 yards, on a downhill hole, paced off 242, a real fluke. Ended up with 41-43 for the round.

It's amazing what extending the 3W has done. Several times, that club was almost thrown into a pond on the course. Every shot prior was slightly off center towards the toe. The face showed the scratches. With the added length, balls are going dead center for the most part.

Just noticed, Golfnut1964 is a lefty, like me. I have a set of 1-3-4-5 nice Speed Slots that I got for $8 at a second hand golf shop over a decade ago. Played the driver and 3w last week, paced off about 200 yards with the driver, and almost the same or a little more or less with the 3W. Those Staffs are sweet, also the bag (Jones?). I bought a Jones US Open bag back in 2013, use it on and off. My favorite is a black Sun Mountain X strap Sunday bag used as a single strap. I bought it in 2012, only noticeable wear has been the Velcro piece that covers the club divider.

Play well!

• 3 months later...

I went out to the range on Tuesday with my non-golfing brother and an assortment of vintage clubs. He's trying to get back into the game after 35 years and I wanted him to be able to try several different makes and models in addition to the old King Cobra cavity backs that he has.

So, I grabbed the 3-6-9 irons out of five different sets, five different persimmon drivers, and a 4w and 5w, and crammed them into a large cart bag. Unfortunately, when we got to the course we were told that the range was closed -- too much rain lately. Nuts!

We were walking back to the car when he says, "Why don't we just play 9 holes?"

"Because," I says, "I've only 3, 6, and 9 irons."

But since he had a full set of cobras, he convinced me that we could make do. And I really didn't want to go home empty handed, as it were. So...

I decided on a MacGregor driver to go with a Mac 4 wood and a Hogan 5 wood, and grabbed the 3-6-9 irons of my 1967 Spalding Kro-Flites. Rummaging around in my trunk I spied a Wilson Augusta putter (never leave home without a stock of golf expendables -- tees, balls, putters). Here's a pic of my pack:

After finessing a 9 iron from 100 yards on the first hole I decided just to see what I could shoot using only this bag. I ended up shooting 42, very much in the range of my normal scores with a full bag and I had a lot of fun doing it. Funny thing was, I never really felt like I was lacking. Both of the par 3's set up well for the 6 iron, all of my long iron shots were in the 170-180 range (my vintage 3 iron goes about 175), and the 9 iron (48*) worked fairly well for chips and pitches around the green. Luckily, I stayed out of the sand as that could've been a problem.

Clearly, carrying 3 woods is unnecessary so I think I'd trade one of them out for a strong sand wedge or dual wedge. And then maybe substitute an 8 iron for the 9 to spread out the gaps better. But otherwise, I think I could have a lot of fun playing just 7 clubs and I'm already looking forward to my next minimalist round.

Reflecting on it later that evening, I remembered that I played almost all of my teenage rounds with a 7 club starter set (Driver, 3w, 3-5-7-9 irons, putter). And we ALWAYS walked.

I said to a friend last year that we probably need to redefine what a round of golf should be. Instead of it being a $35, once-a-week, 4.5 hour ordeal with 14 clubs and a cart, maybe we need to think of 'golf' as a $15, 3 evenings-a-week, 1.5 hour walk with a lightweight bag of 7-8 clubs.

I didn't follow thru too well on that last year. Perhaps in 2017 I can. Goodness knows I could use the exercise.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend