2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Seven clubs or fewer?

It rained like cats and dogs here yesterday. The NY Boys and I were going to play up in NC today. I was not real keen on that to begin with because due to idiot (Touron) season we could not get a tee time before 12:30. Talked to Bear about 7:30 or so and he did not want to play if it was CPO either. I called up there and they were CPO. They ended up cancelling both tee times we had. So I stayed around the house and worked in the shop. First off I had to clean out the shop some where I could work. Took 4 bags full of clubs to the building across the street. Pulled the donor Hogan Radial shafts out. Pulled the Muirfield shafts out. Cleaned the donor shafts up. Assembled everything. Now I have 2 sets of MacHogans!! got to messing around with the Hickory stuff and some older Pyratone stuff. Found out I had 3 Macgregor Hickory clubs (WOLA!!!) . All of those clubs are pinned so I should be ok. Here is what I have and I checked the lofts too

Macgregor Thru Whip Mid Iron @26*

Macgregor Thru Whip Mashie Niblick @43*

Macgregor Thru Whip Niblick @ 47*

Kroyden Rough Iron steel shaft @ 31*

JW punched face wedge @ 55* Hickory shaft pinned

Got to messing around in the building across the road and found a set of Macgregor MT 1 W woods driver 3 wood and 4 wood. The driver has had a newer type insert put it. 3 and 4 are original inserts and of course the Velocitized sole plates with the rocket on them. Funny thing dammed if I can remember when and where I got them. I had decided to move all my persimmon stuff over here so that is how I found them. Put them in a small Macgregor bag with the 58 Diamondbacks and the M-1 blade putter Randy gave me. Another vintage set ready to grab and go. May hit balls this PM after the wife goes to work

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 3 weeks later...

Seven clubs is a full kit for me, even with modern stuff.

I did the same thing with my vintage and modern. Split the moderns up so the lofts are in roughly 10 deg increments (thru the middle of the bag). Works out to 8 clubs per set. D, 3W, 3H, 6H, 9H, AW, SW, P for one and D, 3W, 7W, 7H, 8H, PW, SW, P for the other. SW = 56 deg. Move the P between bags. Vintage is 3W, 5W, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, P. It took me all season to arrive at this combination, but found that I play better with fewer clubs, and think more in terms of long, medium, or short for each shot. Use a bump and run wherever possible. Found that fewer choices = more creativity, more enjoyment, less stress on the body carrying. Now I am working on lightening the load with other stuff in the bag.

Today I finally played 9 with 5 clubs. Definitely going to do more of this next year. Does anyone know of a vintage style driving iron?

Thought about just going with a 5wood, 5i, 8i, pw, & putter in my Sunday Bag kit. But a 3i or Driving iron might work too. Thinking out loud of course...

Some years ago, I had one of those "Controller" driving irons, gotten from a thrift shop for $2. With its extra heft, and rounded back, seemed like it would play well. No better than a regular 3I.

I think extending the shaft an inch or so might be the answer. Don't know what I did with the club, though.

I think the 3 or 5 wood is the best option.

I like the 5W option myself for a vintage bag. You can hit it off the deck pretty consistently and I always made out pretty well hitting it off of a tee. Often times I hit it further than I imagined, but I could reign it in too if need be.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My 7 8 club vintage bag consisted of 2W, 5W PB Citation laminates; 3, 5, 7, 9 GR Axial Tour Grind; RAM TWSS 55° SW and a Ping Zing putter. A nice playable set-up with lots of options from both the tee and the deck.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As I was cleaning my shoes yesterday afternoon our pro came over and looked at my pencil bag,took it off me,felt how little it weighed and declared that it was probably the best way to play golf that he'd seen in an age,confirmed by one of my playing partners who had trundled round with electric trolley,tour bag full of clubs who proudly announced that there were at least six clubs in his bag that were unused!

I had driver,4h,6,8,pw,sw,putter.

• 3 weeks later...

Since our last medal of the season in October I've gone back to my usual winter set up of driver, 4,6,8,PW,SW and putter in a light carry bag. My scoring has improved too, finishing 1st and 3rd in our last two winter league rounds over 9 holes; +1 and +3.

Thinking about reducing my set size for regular season golf too, makes the game so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ! I know that Steve guy !

Anyways... Cobra Max offset 10.5, 5, 7, 9 , SW Ping G10's and an Anser 4 in an old Ping Moonlite. gets me thinking about better weather and trying to get out...

The pics above are in a PING Moonlite too. :taunt:

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• 5 weeks later...

Seven clubs is a full kit for me, even with modern stuff.

I did the same thing with my vintage and modern. Split the moderns up so the lofts are in roughly 10 deg increments (thru the middle of the bag). Works out to 8 clubs per set. D, 3W, 3H, 6H, 9H, AW, SW, P for one and D, 3W, 7W, 7H, 8H, PW, SW, P for the other. SW = 56 deg. Move the P between bags. Vintage is 3W, 5W, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, P. It took me all season to arrive at this combination, but found that I play better with fewer clubs, and think more in terms of long, medium, or short for each shot. Use a bump and run wherever possible. Found that fewer choices = more creativity, more enjoyment, less stress on the body carrying. Now I am working on lightening the load with other stuff in the bag.

Today I finally played 9 with 5 clubs. Definitely going to do more of this next year. Does anyone know of a vintage style driving iron?

Thought about just going with a 5wood, 5i, 8i, pw, & putter in my Sunday Bag kit. But a 3i or Driving iron might work too. Thinking out loud of course...

Some years ago, I had one of those "Controller" driving irons, gotten from a thrift shop for $2. With its extra heft, and rounded back, seemed like it would play well. No better than a regular 3I.

I think extending the shaft an inch or so might be the answer. Don't know what I did with the club, though.

I think the 3 or 5 wood is the best option.

Hi, just been reading back on the other minimalist threads and you said that you got into minimalist golf after reading an article by an English fellow. Would love to know the fellas name so I can read it.... I find minimal golf fascinating ta nick

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd keep this thread going.... What do unemployed people do all day??? Anyway, my dad had a very serious heart operation last year and wanted to buy me some irons just in case.... So I was with him on the course so to speak. So I got a very new set up with some classics in there too still... So when we all get started again (stay safe everyone and stay home)

Cobra f9 driver

Mizuno jpx 919 hot metal 4 iron

Mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 6,8,pw irons

Ping karsten iii sw

Ping zing putter

With the stronger lofts this plays like driver, 3,5,7,9,sw & putter set up in the old school lofts. So when the flu bites the dust and we all go again, this is what I'll be gaming.... Stay safe everyone nick

• Like 1

For winter golf I tend to pack away my cart bag, trolley and full set of clubs, find a warm cosy spot to hibernate my persimmons and pack a short set in a light weight carry bag. I don't take a driver as we tend to play to summer greens off forward tees so my set up is usually 4W, 2,4,6,8,PW & putter usually rotating sets from my collection each time I play. Great way to test clubs and select a gaming set for the season ahead. I thoroughly enjoy it and must say I don't notice the lack of clubs hurting (or improving) my scores so I do wonder why I go back to carting a full set around again in the spring?! I do wonder about my even number bias? Anyone else have an odd or even number bias? I have always erred towards even numbers, more confident with a 4 wood than a 5 and, if in doubt between irons, I will hit the even numbered club everytime.....Maybe some deep psychological reason I am better not knowing about.........?

I played 5 holes minimalist this morning then practiced my front line set. Lately my mini set is

Driver and 4 wood 57 Mac Velocitized

2 iron Macgregor DX 2 iron--- Someone brought up the other night about DX irons an I remembered I had a DX 2 iron in the front closet that I can literally cook--- yep still can

Irons 5 7 8 9 11 Mac FC 4000 --- From the Stick Fish collection

Putter--- Mac Ironmaster reproduction composite green shaft Neuman Mac leather grip.

Threw the 8 in this morning because I love how all the short irons in this set hit and those are the Irons I need to practice most

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/26/2020 at 10:40 PM, Hugh Manatee said:

I now play with only one club: a 7 iron.

I can drive 150 yards with it, hit shorter distances, and chip.

When putting I hit with the edge.

i carry one ball and have to find another if I lose it—that’s my rule—and often find the one I lost the day before.

I carry one tee—there’s always plenty if I break it, or I hit without one.

Also, I play without a cap, and wear only one shoe. No socks of course.

They are considering banning me from the course.

I'm glad you gave this thread a funny and fresh bump.  My 7-club set consists of a driver, 5 wood, 5/7/9 irons, sand wedge, and putter...

Edited by 14max

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I really like this minimalist mindset when I applied to golf.  As a guitarist I used to gig with multiple bands and opening or closing acts the other guitarists would have racks of pedals to enhance their tone.   I plugged directly into 1965 Fender amp and by the end of our set I was usually the guitarist everyone rememberer.

I wish I could play golf like I play guitar and show up with a minimalist Jones bag filled with Dynapowers and beat my modern friends.   Hopefully I will get there.

I played most of my rounds at a par 3 so that was super minimalist.  I played two rounds this summer of 18 holes one was with my neighbors who rode around in carts with the modern gear.  That was the least fun golfing I’ve had.  The other was half a bag and walking with a friend who sort of started

me on this path towards vintage gear.

When you go minimalist with a vintage set do you leave the pw behind?  I feel like my 60s 9i does the job what a modern pw does.

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

1 hour ago, coldwareragolfer said:

I really like this minimalist mindset when I applied to golf.  As a guitarist I used to gig with multiple bands and opening or closing acts the other guitarists would have racks of pedals to enhance their tone.   I plugged directly into 1965 Fender amp and by the end of our set I was usually the guitarist everyone rememberer.

I wish I could play golf like I play guitar and show up with a minimalist Jones bag filled with Dynapowers and beat my modern friends.   Hopefully I will get there.

I played most of my rounds at a par 3 so that was super minimalist.  I played two rounds this summer of 18 holes one was with my neighbors who rode around in carts with the modern gear.  That was the least fun golfing I’ve had.  The other was half a bag and walking with a friend who sort of started

me on this path towards vintage gear.

When you go minimalist with a vintage set do you leave the pw behind?  I feel like my 60s 9i does the job what a modern pw does.

No I carry a vintage PW because the loft of most of them is 50* and I can do a lot with that. I can deloft or hood down. Most of the time Minimalist I go with  Driver 4 wood 1 iron 5iron 7 iron 9iron PW putter. I carry the 1 iron especially in the summer love hitting those little head high cuts that run like a scared rabbit

15 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

No I carry a vintage PW because the loft of most of them is 50* and I can do a lot with that. I can deloft or hood down. Most of the time Minimalist I go with  Driver 4 wood 1 iron 5iron 7 iron 9iron PW putter. I carry the 1 iron especially in the summer love hitting those little head high cuts that run like a scared rabbit

So you must be pretty good with a pw out of the sand traps?

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

1 minute ago, coldwareragolfer said:

So you must be pretty good with a pw out of the sand traps?

Oh yeah I can make do--- I will tell you I sorta cheat I use a Mac Dual Purpose. When I play regular golf I do not use a lot of bounce on a 56* either. If I happen to play a course I know has fluffy traps ( which is rare here) I will slip in like a Hogan Sure out with the big heavy flange lots of bounce

• Like 1

During the winter months here in Michigan, I find it fun to carry a minimal amount of clubs and just learn to hit shots. I typically won't carry a driver or 3 wood, and just play even numbers or odd numbers in the irons. It changes the shots I have to hit on pretty much the only course open in the winter around this area. Last round was 3,5,7,9, 54 deg and putter. Previous was a driving iron, 4,6,8,PW and putter.

It keeps it interesting and makes me play various shots I normally won't practice. 

3 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

During the winter months here in Michigan, I find it fun to carry a minimal amount of clubs and just learn to hit shots. I typically won't carry a driver or 3 wood, and just play even numbers or odd numbers in the irons. It changes the shots I have to hit on pretty much the only course open in the winter around this area. Last round was 3,5,7,9, 54 deg and putter. Previous was a driving iron, 4,6,8,PW and putter.

It keeps it interesting and makes me play various shots I normally won't practice. 

Sounds like a fun time. I don't hit low irons that well so I would have a couple substitutes, like, a 4w for the 3i, and 5h for the 5i. Like you say, it forces you to be a little diverse on shot making.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

• 4 weeks later...

Inspired! Have too many full sets anyway, this makes for a much easier round.

MiniDriver - TaylorMade Aeroburner TP 14°

3/6/9 Irons - Mizuno MP-57

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 52°/08F, 60°/12K

Putter - Ping Anser 4 Milled

Just need to find a nice Sunday bag to carry them...

-VS

MAIN SET
Driver - TaylorMade 2009 Burner TP 8.5° | Alidila Rogue 125 MSI Tour I/O 60 X Flex
3-Wood - TaylorMade 2007 Burner TP 14.5° | Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73X X Flex
2-9 Irons - Mizuno MP-60 Cut Muscle | Dynamic Gold SL X100 Flex
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50°/08F, 56°/14F, 60°/10S | Dynamic Gold X100 Flex
Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 | Golf Pride Tour Tradition Grip
Balls - Titleist Pro V1x

Grips - Golf Pride MCC | Black/Grey Plus4 ALIGN Midsize