2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Seven clubs or fewer?

I like the way they bridge between the hickory era and the 'classic' 14 club approach. To my mind you get the best of both worlds, combining a hickory playing mentality of creating shots with named clubs (each with their own character) rather than numbered, matched irons, with the reliability of steel shafts. Even better, you can pick them up cheap as no-one seems to want them.

Seven clubs is a full kit for me, even with modern stuff.

I did the same thing with my vintage and modern. Split the moderns up so the lofts are in roughly 10 deg increments (thru the middle of the bag). Works out to 8 clubs per set. D, 3W, 3H, 6H, 9H, AW, SW, P for one and D, 3W, 7W, 7H, 8H, PW, SW, P for the other. SW = 56 deg. Move the P between bags. Vintage is 3W, 5W, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, P. It took me all season to arrive at this combination, but found that I play better with fewer clubs, and think more in terms of long, medium, or short for each shot. Use a bump and run wherever possible. Found that fewer choices = more creativity, more enjoyment, less stress on the body carrying. Now I am working on lightening the load with other stuff in the bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to land on a 8 club bag as a minimum to cover all my courses I could go to 7 for a few, though. Using old school PING irons, the lofts fit nice in this config.

11.5 degree Cobra driver

PING 3, 5, 7, 9, W, SW (ZING2, EYE 2, OR ISI)

Putter

The 3 iron is good off the tee on tight or shorter holes. I can't hit it high anymore off the turf, but as a 2nd shot on par 5s, it goes low, very straight and runs forever.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I seem to land on a 8 club bag as a minimum to cover all my courses I could go to 7 for a few, though. Using old school PING irons, the lofts fit nice in this config.

11.5 degree Cobra driver

Putter

The 3 iron is good off the tee on tight or shorter holes. I can't hit it high anymore off the turf, but as a 2nd shot on par 5s, it goes low, very straight and runs forever.

Don't necessarily sell yourself short. I remember a few years ago reading an article about Tom Watson describing his warm up/practice routine. he always started with his 3 iron, the theory being that if you can hit your 3 iron well the others will be easy.

I used that as an inspiration to start to groove my swing in the springtime one year and after about three weeks of swinging the 3 iron exclusively I was hitting it fairly consistently. If I grabbed a 6 or a 9 they were a piece of cake in comparison.

I ended up playing vintage almost exclusively that season playing my Eye 2 clones and War bird metal woods. On days when I wasn't hitting my woods very well I would just go 3 iron off the tee as I had the confidence to hit it down the middle about 180 yards. Saved a few rounds that way!

I think that the main reason we struggle with long irons is that we don't practice enough with them preferring to groove our swings with a short iron rather than using the opposite approach.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

11.5 degree Cobra driver

Putter

Don't necessarily sell yourself short. I remember a few years ago reading an article about Tom Watson describing his warm up/practice routine. he always started with his 3 iron, the theory being that if you can hit your 3 iron well the others will be easy.

I used that as an inspiration to start to groove my swing in the springtime one year and after about three weeks of swinging the 3 iron exclusively I was hitting it fairly consistently. If I grabbed a 6 or a 9 they were a piece of cake in comparison.

I ended up playing vintage almost exclusively that season playing my Eye 2 clones and War bird metal woods. On days when I wasn't hitting my woods very well I would just go 3 iron off the tee as I had the confidence to hit it down the middle about 180 yards. Saved a few rounds that way!

I think that the main reason we struggle with long irons is that we don't practice enough with them preferring to groove our swings with a short iron rather than using the opposite approach.

Good points. The classic PINGs I play are easier to hit in the long irons IMO. Even tho I don't make enough club speed to launch them high, my mishits always go straight. I find them much safer than a mishit 3 or 5 wood, which for me, have much worse results. There's a par 5 where I played yesterday that has a hazard to carry off tee that I can't clear with my driver. I tee up my ZING2 3 iron and just smooth one down the middle to front edge of the hazard.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I love playing my eye 2 minimal set up... Driver, hybrid, 4,6,8,pw,sw & putter when serious. Drop the 4 iron when having a quick knock. If I can find a good 21-22 degree 7 wood (Callaway sevenheaven maybe) the hybrid and 4 iron will go.... A winter project find.

Update, played full kit yesterday and boy what a collapse of epic proportions on the last 6 holes... Went from 1 over the finish 11 over... Yikes! And it all came from not putting my shots in position... Took a 7 on a 270 yard par 4, which is a 4 iron wedge on.... But my god I went in the head with all the trouble around.

So last comp of the year on Saturday and its going to be 8 clubs, walk and have fun

• 3 weeks later...

11.5 degree Cobra driver

Putter

Absolutely. At my local range you hardly ever see anyone hitting above 6 or 7 iron. Lots of driver and wedge practice goes on. My view of wedges is that they are get out of trouble clubs and have no fixed purpose in the bag. If you manage the course properly you should never need to use one. The modern approach of hitting driver as close to the green as possible on short par fours and then having to manufacture a thirty five yard pitch over a bunker out of the rough seems illogical, when the alternative of placing the ball in the fairway 100-170 yards from the green with a long iron or lofted wood and hitting a full iron shot in takes the short fiddly shots out of play.

It seems that's what people practice though; hit the driver as far as possible and then work on pitches from inside 50 yards. Par threes must be difficult for them.

11.5 degree Cobra driver

Putter

Absolutely. At my local range you hardly ever see anyone hitting above 6 or 7 iron. Lots of driver and wedge practice goes on. My view of wedges is that they are get out of trouble clubs and have no fixed purpose in the bag. If you manage the course properly you should never need to use one. The modern approach of hitting driver as close to the green as possible on short par fours and then having to manufacture a thirty five yard pitch over a bunker out of the rough seems illogical, when the alternative of placing the ball in the fairway 100-170 yards from the green with a long iron or lofted wood and hitting a full iron shot in takes the short fiddly shots out of play.

It seems that's what people practice though; hit the driver as far as possible and then work on pitches from inside 50 yards. Par threes must be difficult for them.

Spot on!

11.5 degree Cobra driver

Putter

Conversely,if you know that your short game is so good that you can get up and down from anywhere within 50 yards of the hole (think Seve) it takes a lot of pressure off the rest of your game.

Conversely,if you know that your short game is so good that you can get up and down from anywhere within 50 yards of the hole (think Seve) it takes a lot of pressure off the rest of your game.

That's true, and probably the motivation for choosing that form of practice. Still not sure how you'd approach a par three though.

You might equally say that if a snooker player could always pot a ball no matter where it was, he'd have no need to learn to play safe. Both examples represent mastery of half the game, rather than competence in all aspects of it. Individual choice.

I don't understand the "Still not sure how you'd approach a par three though",are you saying the 'drive and wedge' brigade don't know how to play par 3's?

Depending on the rough I would fancy a 35 yard wedge a lot more than a full iron shot of 170 yards but you're obviously a better long/medium iron player than I am.

I probably didn't phrase that very well. What I mean is if you expect to miss the green and rely on your wedge play from inside (say) 35 yards to get up and down for par, it seems a defeatist approach. Besides, you still have to get the ball somewhere near the green from the tee, which means you have to have some level of ability with a medium or long iron. I know a few par threes where if you miss the green in the wrong place you're often better off taking three off the tee rather than trying to recover, but maybe those are exceptional examples.

I suppose what I'm getting at is the better you are with medium and long irons, the less you have to rely on exceptional wedge play to recover. Having a good short game is always useful nonetheless.

Seven clubs is a full kit for me, even with modern stuff.

I did the same thing with my vintage and modern. Split the moderns up so the lofts are in roughly 10 deg increments (thru the middle of the bag). Works out to 8 clubs per set. D, 3W, 3H, 6H, 9H, AW, SW, P for one and D, 3W, 7W, 7H, 8H, PW, SW, P for the other. SW = 56 deg. Move the P between bags. Vintage is 3W, 5W, 5I, 7I, 9I, PW, SW, P. It took me all season to arrive at this combination, but found that I play better with fewer clubs, and think more in terms of long, medium, or short for each shot. Use a bump and run wherever possible. Found that fewer choices = more creativity, more enjoyment, less stress on the body carrying. Now I am working on lightening the load with other stuff in the bag.

Today I finally played 9 with 5 clubs. Definitely going to do more of this next year. Does anyone know of a vintage style driving iron?

Thought about just going with a 5wood, 5i, 8i, pw, & putter in my Sunday Bag kit. But a 3i or Driving iron might work too. Thinking out loud of course...

5 clubs could certainly be doable but I think I might feel better with 6 clubs .

As age has reduced my swing speed - the distance spread between clubs had certainly reduced.

I think I would look at clubs for yardage: 180/170 - 150 - 130/120 - 100 - 80 and putter. Roughly a 20-30 yard spread. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

5 clubs could certainly be doable but I think I might feel better with 6 clubs .

I think I would look at clubs for yardage: 180/170 - 150 - 130/120 - 100 - 80 and putter. Roughly a 20-30 yard spread. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

For me, that would be

180/170 - 3 Wood or 3HY or 7W

150 - 5 wood or 5HY or 9W

130/120 - Mashie or 5I or 7HY

100 - 80 - Mashie/Niblick or 8I or 9HY

Wedge - 50 yds and sand - Niblick or PW or SW

Putter

Could put a hickory, vintage, and modern kit together. With the woods I would err on the side of accuracy and skip a driver all together to eliminate the occasional slice. A wedge could be eliminated with the right 8I or mashie/niblick. Last 9 I tried getting out of the sand with just a niblick and it was surprisingly effective.

Super Minimalist would be 4W, Mashie, Niblick, and Putter. Super-Duper minimalist could be a Jigger, Mashie/Niblick, and Putter, although teeing off with a jigger would be a learned skill. Might be better off with a 4W...

I am sure you have heard of speed golf. I am envisioning a hickory version. Imagine a stroll through a park style turn of the century (1900) course wearing loose cotton period golf attire carrying a mid iron, a mashie/niblick, and a putter in a canvas bag. Your score is based on golf score + time + number of pipe bowls consumed while playing. Highest score wins...

All followed, of course, by a brisk nap.

As age has reduced my swing speed - the distance spread between clubs had certainly reduced.

I kind of like 8 myself. Reminds me of the rounds I used to play with a half set of irons, a couple woods, a wedge and a putter when playing classics.

To convert that to a modern set-up would likely involve a rather similar smattering of sticks:

• instead of a brassie, a high lofted driver would do
  • a 7W in place of a bulldog or baffy
  • a 5 hybrid in place of a jigger or cleek
  • followed up by a 7 & 9 iron
  • and then an A wedge as well as a sand iron
  • finished off with your piece of space junk putter of choice
  • and that MacKenzie walker (or similar) is going to be resting on a trolley

Welcome to the world of geezer golf enjoyed on the cozy confines of an executive length course! :dntknw:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Funny thing is, I find it easier to play geezer golf with fewer clubs. That must be because you get better at hitting shots with just a few clubs and avoid trouble. Each time I've done this it's been fairways and greens. And the increased pace really seemed to help my putting.

That really is my goal: boring no trouble golf.

Found this online today:

https://www.golf.com...is-week-ranked/

2. GOLF WITH WAY FEWER THAN 14 CLUBS

I mean, way fewer. I played in a little, informal event the other day, just nine holes, on a short course, and you could only carry four clubs. OMG, was it fun! (I brought a driver, putter, sand wedge and 7-iron.) The PGA Tour should have a four-club event. Not seven clubs. Four. The equipment companies would maybe hate the idea, but TV would love it and it would be absolutely fascinating to see what the players would do if they had to manipulate one shot after another after another, by way of stance and swing. Seven clubs, a number discussed now and again in this context, is not extreme enough. I can’t tell you how many bad decisions I made over the course of these nine holes, typically when I had to decide between the sand iron and the 7-iron. The event was in my head. It was great.

I've played with four clubs a few times and always scored well, in fact far better than I would have imagined. Typically I took a 7W, a 7i, a wedge and a putter. Might have to take a different allotment at this juncture, but if you cover 100, 125 & 150 on full swings you're probably going to be OK playing from the senior tees.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

"finished off with your piece of space junk putter of choice"

Interesting, but I had thought of moving the same putter next season from bag to bag. That has worked well for me this year, but it is a little out of place when I play vintage or hickory.

Until now. I have a Louisville Grand Slam putter that I re-griped and now really like. It is one of the first putters of this style that works for me. I forget what you call it.

So this one goes in the bag for the vintage set & the hickories - until I get the hickory putter re-gripped.

So yeah, I don't get the "piece of space junk" putters either, especially the price!

For me, that would be

Putter

Could put a hickory, vintage, and modern kit together. With the woods I would err on the side of accuracy and skip a driver all together to eliminate the occasional slice. A wedge could be eliminated with the right 8I or mashie/niblick. Last 9 I tried getting out of the sand with just a niblick and it was surprisingly effective.

Super Minimalist would be 4W, Mashie, Niblick, and Putter. Super-Duper minimalist could be a Jigger, Mashie/Niblick, and Putter, although teeing off with a jigger would be a learned skill. Might be better off with a 4W...

I am sure you have heard of speed golf. I am envisioning a hickory version. Imagine a stroll through a park style turn of the century (1900) course wearing loose cotton period golf attire carrying a mid iron, a mashie/niblick, and a putter in a canvas bag. Your score is based on golf score + time + number of pipe bowls consumed while playing. Highest score wins...

Wouldn't that be lowest score wins? Or is the object of the exercise to spend as much time hitting as many shots and consuming as many bowls of Erinmore* as possible? I could go for the latter concept...

Funnily enough my minimalist bag is based around a 25 yard gap, thus:

Driver 200+

Spoon 175-200

3 iron 150-175

Mashie 125-150

Mashie-niblick 100-125

Niblick 75-100

Putter

However I much prefer to hit the lowest loft I can, whether playing minimalist or otherwise. A 1 iron scares me not, but anything upwards of 45 degrees becomes a lottery, unless out of a bunker.

For me, that would be

Putter

Wouldn't that be lowest score wins? Or is the object of the exercise to spend as much time hitting as many shots and consuming as many bowls of Erinmore* as possible? I could go for the latter concept...

Funnily enough my minimalist bag is based around a 25 yard gap, thus:

Driver 200+

Spoon 175-200

3 iron 150-175

Mashie 125-150

Mashie-niblick 100-125

Niblick 75-100

Putter

However I much prefer to hit the lowest loft I can, whether playing minimalist or otherwise. A 1 iron scares me not, but anything upwards of 45 degrees becomes a lottery, unless out of a bunker.

Well, now that adult beverages are involved I doubt that some of us would make it back to the 19th hole. I'll bring my "Old Toby" in a nice nose warmer...

Love the great ideas for sets - now that its getting cooler - how do we count that little hip flask of medicinal brandy?

Easy. Just ditch the laser rangefinder! They take up about the same space...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Love the great ideas for sets - now that its getting cooler - how do we count that little hip flask of medicinal brandy?

Easy. Just ditch the laser rangefinder! They take up about the same space...

Indeed. Easy choice there.

*edit* Wait a minute.... how bout' a flask that looks like a laser rangefinder? Lol

Copyright that idea..... Great idea, but I use a GPS watch. Can't get enough brandy in that

"finished off with your piece of space junk putter of choice"

Interesting, but I had thought of moving the same putter next season from bag to bag. That has worked well for me this year, but it is a little out of place when I play vintage or hickory.

Until now. I have a Louisville Grand Slam putter that I re-griped and now really like. It is one of the first putters of this style that works for me. I forget what you call it.

So this one goes in the bag for the vintage set & the hickories - until I get the hickory putter re-gripped.

So yeah, I don't get the "piece of space junk" putters either, especially the price!

One of our great WRXers named DJaid putts with an H&B putter similar to that one all the time no matter what sticks he is playing. Told me he has had it a long time and likes it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Yep it is about that time of year for me again. We are finally getting fall type weather- So I will be playing some of my 5 to 7 club vintage walking rounds again. Do not know the exact line up may do a mix of a couple of Hickory irons I have acquired and maybe a couple of my 53 Mac Toski irons or maybe some of the odd Hogan Irons I have laying around. Since I have so much stuff it is always a challenge. May put in some of the Slazenger Crown Sterlings Randy gave me. I usually do those rounds on Sunday afternoon after Church and do 9 hole rounds only.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My regular golf partner and I usually meet after church for 9 holes at a course he's been playing since he was a kid. I usually take vintage & walk, but now he'll be taking a cart due to his health. Not too many of those rounds left I'm afraid. His health wont allow them much longer. Sooner than I want I'll be playing those rounds alone.