2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seven clubs or fewer?

Well I ended up putting together a 7 club bag today. Seems my Doc wants me to loose even more weight before he does my hernia surgery to ensure success. My ankle problems in the past have stopped due to the hydro pills they have me on. He wants me to start walking some. So I went out to the shop and put a bag together. I had one of those real small Sunday bags I got somewhere a while back. So I put it together and trust me it can change Here is the line up----

Driver--- Toney Penna Model TP

2 iron ---- 99 Hogan Apex

4,7 and 9 irons 1966 Spalding Elite Professionals

SW 53* Cleveland 588

Putter Spalding TP Mills #4

I bought the Elite irons at Good Will this week and the 5 iron was missing so I figured I can work with the 4 WTH?

Did manage to get in 3 holes today before the rain. I decided to really test myself and played from the tips on a really wet course. The first hole was a par 5 and I knew before I teed off I would never reach in 3 with what I packed. Hit driver 2 iron 4iron 9iron 2 putted for a bogey. #2 short par 4 left dogleg with water hit driver 4 iron short but got it up and down for a par. #3 short par 4 straightaway Driver 4 iron short got up and down again for par. Then the rains came but it was so much fun. I am looking forward to doing this more

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Ok planning on changing the 7 club set up for tomorrow because I have so much stuff and change up is fun I think. Ok here it is---

Driver Cleveland Classic Persimmon S-400 this thing is a brute at 45"

2 iron 1999 Hogan Apex "Canadian Special" This thing ain't leaving the bag hope it is as windy as it was today

Irons 5,7,9 Toney Penna Original blades S-300--- I bought that set some time back and have only hit them 1 time

SW-- Old "JW Special " has a faux wood shaft and dots on the face instead of grooves and original leather wrap grip- Someone on here told me it is an old Wilson

Putter Ram Gene Littler 8802 style

I am starting to like this because I have so much great stuff I can change up every week. I am seeing where this is getting extremely enjoyable out there by myself not worrying about the score and enjoying the view and exercise

Just got in from the 7 club round and I will absolutely have to make some changes. I got out a little later than planned because we had our Annual Meeting at Church and it ran way over. Did squeeze in 8 holes actually 9 if you count my one cross country hole back to #3. It was really cold windy and brutal but I was dressed warm and enjoyed it. Got a reality check I can not hit a persimmon driver with a S-400 at 45" no more. I will be back to one of my more sedate Pennas with a S-300 at 43". All I could hit with the Cleveland was a low ugly cut that went no where on the wet fairways and the wind. The 2 iron saved my bacon. The old Penna blades hit good even though they are about 1" too short for me. That old JW wedge performed really great but I absolutely have to do something to that slick leather wrap grip. The surprise was the Ram Gene Littler putter. I putted as well with it as I do my Scotty and it sets up to my eye good. I had all bogeys playing from the senior tees today except the 8th and 9th holes. The 8th is a par 3 up the hill and it was playing about 175 into a cross wind. Ran the 2 iron up the front with a low cut and it worked out 2 putted for a par. #9 is one heck of a par 4 plays around 420 or so up the hill. Today the wind was dead in my face and it was cold as the sun was going down. Hit the 2 iron off the tee about 200 yds or so. Hit it again out of the fairway up the hill left myself about 120 or so in hit a high cut 7 iron into the wind about 5 feet below the cup and made the putt. Man that felt good can not wait to try this again!!

I am starting to like this because I have so much great stuff I can change up every week. I am seeing where this is getting extremely enjoyable out there by myself not worrying about the score and enjoying the view and exercise

Stu, welcome to the club.

Good luck with the surgery. I had hernia surgery right before the holidays & got out for the fist time yesterday. Damn cold in Atlanta, 45 degrees with a persistent 15 mph breeze. But it felt good. Amazing how many clubs you can re-grip in 6 weeks....

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Good luck with the surgery. I had hernia surgery right before the holidays & got out for the fist time yesterday. Damn cold in Atlanta, 45 degrees with a persistent 15 mph breeze. But it felt good. Amazing how many clubs you can re-grip in 6 weeks....

Had a hernia 2 years ago today....best thing I've done!! And boy did I mess around with my stuff when I was off too

Just got asked to appraise some vintage clubs for someone who dropped them at the Pro's office at Goodwood.

I went to collect them, and they were all pretty crappy, low value commons.

As it was a nice day yesterday, and the par-3 short course is right next door, I thought I'd give the Pyratone shafted Niblick a whirl, on the principle that any golf is better than going back to work. I dumped the rest of the clubs in the car, and sauntered along to the first tee with 3 balls and this Niblick. The short course is 6 holes, so I figured play 3 balls on each hole and that is 18 holes. They aren't very long, 60-100 yards or so, just practice holes really with a mown area for each green and larger than normal holes, but with my ladies Niblick, and no putter, I figured the challenge was fair. 45 minutes later I've shot level 3s for my "18 holes" with 4 birdies, 4 bogeys, and 10 pars.

Quite liked this "minimalist" approach to golf ... great fun ! I think I'll put a 7 club set together for next weekend and take on the long course :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Just got asked to appraise some vintage clubs for someone who dropped them at the Pro's office at Goodwood.

I went to collect them, and they were all pretty crappy, low value commons.

As it was a nice day yesterday, and the par-3 short course is right next door, I thought I'd give the Pyratone shafted Niblick a whirl, on the principle that any golf is better than going back to work. I dumped the rest of the clubs in the car, and sauntered along to the first tee with 3 balls and this Niblick. The short course is 6 holes, so I figured play 3 balls on each hole and that is 18 holes. They aren't very long, 60-100 yards or so, just practice holes really with a mown area for each green and larger than normal holes, but with my ladies Niblick, and no putter, I figured the challenge was fair. 45 minutes later I've shot level 3s for my "18 holes" with 4 birdies, 4 bogeys, and 10 pars.

Quite liked this "minimalist" approach to golf ... great fun ! I think I'll put a 7 club set together for next weekend and take on the long course :)

"A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work."

I have one of those pyratone niblicks, a JC Higgins model. I think it came from Sears, very heavy with a dot punch face.

The course you describe is called, Pitch and Putt, over here. Niblick and putter works nicely. Some years ago, I made par 27 for nine holes on a nearby course, if you can call it a course. Same as you describe.

Good Score!

I picked out 8 clubs to take to the course yesterday afternoon: Driver & 4 wood, 3-5-7-9 irons plus dual wedge and putter. It was sunny and 71 degrees when I teed off with a light breeze -- way too beautiful to be inside, especially for January.

I threw all my ballast overboard (err, into the trunk, actually) before starting, leaving myself with only 3 balls and some tees in a carry bag. I promptly hit my first shot out of bounds and onto the range -- oops! I did manage to find it though. I lost one ball on the day but found two others while searching for it. I couldn't believe how light my bag was with just 8 clubs and 3 balls. Really great.

I walked 9 holes playing 2 balls at a time* which was pretty easy since I mostly had the course to myself. Shot 84 in about 90 minutes time. Twice I had a perfect 8 iron yardage but had to ease up on a 7. Both times I decelerated and hit it fat. But that's operator error, I proved it the second time by throwing another ball down, choking up, and hitting it the right distance.

Playing with a short bag does make you think and adjust, which is fun. So is trying to manufacture every shot around the green with a 52 degree dual wedge. But that turned out to be the best club in my bag. I had two sand saves with it, and several up-and-down pars.

I did have an adventure on hole 1A, though. After skulling a 9 iron over the green and down a steep embankment, I tried to flop a shot up from 15 yards away to the back pin position. It got about halfway up the bank before rolling back to me. Tried it again and this time hit it perfectly, as I saw it hit the top of the flagstick! I'm thinking, "Man that might be tight," so I turned and grabbed my bag. But as I straightened up to climb the hill I noticed out of the corner of my eye this little white orb rolling past me to my right -- NUTS! This time, from about 20 yards, I flopped it up again and managed to one putt for double. So now I'm fairly proficient with the 52 degree flop shot.

All-in-all, some great fun. And according to my fitbit (my wife bought that AND a gym membership recently -- hint, hint!) I logged 4 miles of exercise, too.

*I read recently that Moe Norman liked to hit 500 balls in the morning, eat lunch, then walk 9 holes while playing 4 balls -- giving him a 36 hole score...then hit more range balls and call it a day. Wow.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Thanks it will be a while for me though. The Doc wants me to loose 100 more pounds. He has seen me play golf and knows the crowd I play with some. He asked me if I would take a money match that I had only a 20% chance of winning? I told him NO! that I wanted the table stacked 75% my way before I teed off. He said the same way here with my weight there was only a 20% chance of success and if he had to go back in there a second time it would not be good at all. So I am on a diet and he got me to use a Waist Trainer belt which relieves some of the bouncing in the truck. An added benefit was it pulls the hernia in and I can turn through the ball better. It also straightened my spine angle some and I have picked up distance. I had lost some weight about a year ago but picked some back up staying in the truck all summer. I did loose around 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks so I am getting there

Ok 7 club changes for this week. I sorta hit the jackpot on the pile this week. Ended up finding an old Bertha driver with a regular shaft so I am going to give it a whirl since I have never hit one no joke. Also found a couple of Vokey wedges 252 series which I love. Also found a Spalding TP Mills II with no grip so I gripped it tonight and will try it. The Penna Irons and Hogan 2 iron are going to stay. I did add 1 inch to the irons and regripped.

Believe this or not I put some Ping grips on the irons and driver and they have a special story in themselves. A friend of mine bought some kind of new Ping shovels and did not like the grips. He purchased some Tour Wraps and wanted those put on. I actually used the compressor and blew the stock Ping grips off. He told me to keep them and use them on some of the antique stuff. I was not going to charge him for the installation any how but he insisted on giving me $20. I think he played one round with those new clubs and then went into the hospital with cancer and died 2 weeks later. So the Pennas and the Bertha needed grips and I spied those on the shelf and thought why not. He was a member of my club for 20 years. So as a tribute to a fine guy I put those grips on the knock around set. Hey his grips get to go around the course. Like I said I have so much stuff I can switch around and that is adding to my fun. Here is this weeks line up

Driver Callaway Big Bertha RCH 90 Regular graphite

2 iron 99 Hogan Apex--- It ain't going no where

Irons 5 7 9 Toney Penna Original blades

Wedge Titleist Vokey 252 series 54*

Putter Spalding TP Mills II (later model with Roman Numerals)

I will wager that this will not be the last time you play that Big Bertha with RCH 90! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I like it, OSR! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I will wager that this will not be the last time you play that Big Bertha with RCH 90! :good:

I will see since I never have hit one. It is a RCH 90 in regular flex. I know it is light as crap I will probably have to add some lead tape. Yep I never hit one of those drivers in its "heyday" because I was still playing persimmon. I did carry an old Steelhead Bertha for 13 years with a UST Pro Force Gold 65 shaft in it. It finally got too stiff for me to hit so it is in retirement. That Bertha is a 9* head. I also have a GBB 8* Lord knows where it came from. It is in the warehouse across the road and I do not remember what shaft is in it. I had read on here a lot about them and thought WTH? try it. If I can not hit it the 99 Apex is in the bag and if it is not windy I can hit it around 200 to 220 off the tee and about 200 from the fairway. I am really liking this 7 club deal it gives me some exercise and a chance to play different stuff

Will take this setup out tomorrow and see how it goes.

M85 SEOM 4 wood

Mac TA Colokrom 2,4,6,8

Wilson Double Duty Wedge

Bullseye

UHHH HUUH!---- Never mess with a man who has a Bullseye in the bag and Colorkrom irons either. I actually have a M85 3 wood I can flat smoke. Idea for another day maybe Sunday afternoon

Well did a driver change before I got started. I was messing around this morning and found a J's Professional weapon driver at the Salvation Army for .50 Darn thing was all original shaft and all. Found several price tags on it where it had been in several shops I do not think it had ever been hit. The shaft was a little stiff for me in the cold weather but I did jump on it a couple of times and I hit it about as far as I do my modern 915. I will put the Cally in play tomorrow though. Pretty good 9 holes considering the wind and cold. Shot +6 from the mid tees. That TP Mills is a keeper I putt with it as good as I do the rusty Cameron. After the 4th hole I went back to hitting the 2 iron off the tee but did hit the driver off the deck on the 4th hole which is a tough hole and nutted it. Made a bogey but it was acceptable to me with the wind and unlucky tee shot. I tagged a tree about 200 yards out with a hook and it came back in the fairway about 100 yards. WTH? I am having fun anyhow hit the darn driver off the deck

• 2 weeks later...

I keep two bags handy most of the time, a big sun mountain with everything but the kitchen sink, 14 clubs, med kit, rain gear, bottle opener, cowbell, you know, all the things you need to be on course all day ;). And what I call my truck clubs. My truck clubs are always in the car with me in case I get the urge to play a quick 9, and is comprised entirely of clubs I won't be heartbroken if they're stolen. They all come from thrift shops, and I think I have 30 bucks invested. They are:

Northwestern Tom weiskopf 8802 clone putter

Knight hand ground 60

Titleist vokey 54 with demo on the grip

Mizuno MP-30 9,7,6,4,3

All contained in a Jones equipment single strap stand bag that's about as skinny as a large soda. A pleasure to carry.

So that's 8, I guess, but I could probably take the 4 out, or the six.I love all the different shots not having the full set forces me to play. Bought the iron set with a bent 8 iron and no 5 iron, but they hit like a dream, and the truck clubs have made me a lot of coin With their generally shoddy appearance. I've thought about going totally mismatched in brand and having the lofts and swingweights dialed in, but haven't gotten around to it. Never bet with a man whose clubs don't match but his grips do.

I keep two bags handy most of the time, a big sun mountain with everything but the kitchen sink, 14 clubs, med kit, rain gear, bottle opener, cowbell, you know, all the things you need to be on course all day ;). And what I call my truck clubs. My truck clubs are always in the car with me in case I get the urge to play a quick 9, and is comprised entirely of clubs I won't be heartbroken if they're stolen. They all come from thrift shops, and I think I have 30 bucks invested. They are:

Northwestern Tom weiskopf 8802 clone putter

Knight hand ground 60

Titleist vokey 54 with demo on the grip

Mizuno MP-30 9,7,6,4,3

All contained in a Jones equipment single strap stand bag that's about as skinny as a large soda. A pleasure to carry.

So that's 8, I guess, but I could probably take the 4 out, or the six.I love all the different shots not having the full set forces me to play. Bought the iron set with a bent 8 iron and no 5 iron, but they hit like a dream, and the truck clubs have made me a lot of coin With their generally shoddy appearance. I've thought about going totally mismatched in brand and having the lofts and swingweights dialed in, but haven't gotten around to it. Never bet with a man whose clubs don't match but his grips do.

Love that last paragraph about not betting a man with mis matched clubs and matching grips. I have known quite a few besides myself. Never bet a man with an old well worn Bulls Eye or 8802 in the bag either.

Ok while I am here I will post this weeks 7 club set up--- You are a newbie so I will tell you my 7 or 8 club walking set up changes every week. I have so much vintage stuff it will change that way I get to play all my own stuff. The Penna irons I have been hitting are out my buddy Bo-Bear was with me when I got those and he always liked them. I gave him the whole set> Ok here goes and my long time friends on here knew this would happen sooner or later on the irons.

Driver Izett Model 129 TT lite regular Flex

2 iron never changes 99 Hogan Apex even though you did remind me I have a Northwestern 1 iron I salvaged off the junk pile last year and never hit. It is rough as a cob but I may play it this weekend for kicks and giggles

Irons 5,7 9, 1962 Macgregor CF-4000--- Hey my old friends you knew darn well this would happen

Wedge Vokey 252 series 54 bent to 52-- This one is well worn and I carry one just like it in the money bag- They both hit the same

Putter-- Cleveland 8802 Designed By-- I have had this thing 20 years I know of and have not used it lately.

You mentioned raggety bag I have 2 such. One is a real old Sun Mountain that collapses. The one I have been using is an GolfSmith brand Tour Track like a Ping Moonlite that I got in a bulk trade deal a couple of years ago brand new still in the plastic. I have been using it. With me being a big guy the strap that came on it did not do exactly right so I modified it. I used a well padded strap from one of my old Titleist Staff bags. Looks funny though a red and white bag with a well worn but padded Titleist black and white strap. I also have an old wire style ball retriever in it. Not for most of my shots but I find plenty of balls walking. I usually start out with 5 balls some tees and two gloves. By the end of 9 holes I usually find 5 or 6 balls. I started out doing this about a month ago to lose weight for an up coming surgery in 6 months or so. I have became to relish it every week love the walk and messing with different clubs in my vast collection. It has added a new deminision to a game I already love. Now when the money is on the line the clubs in my signature will be utitilized

Holy smokes STU; you've gone full on modern! I don't often read the signatures, but compared to what you were gaming three years ago or so when I first started hanging around these parts your bag has had a full on metamorphosis! I won't feel so bad now when I drag out the ugly sticks! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Holy smokes STU; you've gone full on modern! I don't often read the signatures, but compared to what you were gaming three years ago or so when I first started hanging around these parts your bag has had a full on metamorphosis! I won't feel so bad now when I drag out the ugly sticks! :lol:

Yep it was major changes gradually. That bag in my signature has slowly evolved over the last year or so. Those Cally irons the way they are set up hit just like VIPs for me and have a great feel. If you go over into the mainstream a lot of guys say they are hard to hit and you can not work them. I have had no problems with them at all once I got used too them. I can work the ball with then. I did have to work on distance control with them. I know they are a club stronger than any of my blades because of the loft but those things are hot but will spin the crap out of the ball. Actually those are the only CB type club I could hit and control and they have amazing feel too. I still play vintage too in fact quite a bit usually when walking at least 2 times a week.

• 6 months later...

I love this thread....everytime I think of going more I read this! Also I forgot how bad my shoulder was, took months to heal....and I forgot how much I messed around with my equipment when I was off work after my operation!

It's heading to autumn.... Well for us UK residents summer never came, one of worse I ever known. But keep the minimalist stories coming theyre a great read

I love this thread....everytime I think of going more I read this! Also I forgot how bad my shoulder was, took months to heal....and I forgot how much I messed around with my equipment when I was off work after my operation!

It's heading to autumn.... Well for us UK residents summer never came, one of worse I ever known. But keep the minimalist stories coming theyre a great read

Looking forward to autumn and dusting off the pencil bag for golf with 6-7 clubs max.

Got my Sunday bag loaded and ready with PB Citation 2W, 4W; GR Axial Tour Grind 3, 5, 7, 9; RAM Tom Watson SW and '71 Zing putter. :golfer:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

This year, I've been playing with seven clubs, the fullest kit I've played in years. Driver, 3W, 5,7,9, SW and putter, in a Jones bag. I bought a nice set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots in early Spring. Really good irons, I wanted a set back in 1989, but was talked out of it by a course owner that ordered me a set of clones. The clones were good clubs, but I should have gotten the 845's. Advice to everyone, whether it be golf clubs, or cars, or anything else, if you can afford it, buy what YOU WANT. You won't be happy otherwise.

I'm a lefty, but I've been putting righty for a few weeks now. Seems I'm putting better, at least for now.

Since fall and winter is approaching, will go back to four or five clubs soon. 3W, 5,8, PW, and putter for five, and 3W, 7, PW and putter for four.

When I'm really lazy, a Divnick adjustable iron, and a 3W.

Rotate the wear. Odds. Evens. Repeat.

I can't remember when I last played twice in a row with the same set. However, only having five irons in the bag normally means two putters and sometimes three drivers.

The Ba$t4rd is a pretty permanent feature in the bag though. Thinking about making another...