Best stand bag STRAPS?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pweb44' date='23 April 2010 - 01:19 PM' timestamp='1272043153' post='2396557']
Does anyone know if you can purchase replacement Dual Shoulder Straps.....I've been looking at a couple of different stand bags but the ones that have a stand that I like I find the Shoulder Straps either don't fit correctly or are too thin for my tastes. The Izzo straps seem to be pretty good and wondered if they can be picked up somewhere by themselves.
[/quote]

Quick google search and this turned up:
http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IZ-ds&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

[quote name='e-man' date='04 March 2009 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1236218484' post='1532633']
Hey guys. There are so many good stand bags out there on the market, but many of them don't have comfortable straps (at least for me). My Hoofer 2 is beginning to show its age and I need to replace it, but I can't seem to find anything that's comfortable (and I don't like the new Ping bags).

So let's hear it. Which bags have the best, most comfortable straps?

e
[/quote]
The Hoofer 2's are the best I have tried. Sadly, Ping has raised prices while reducing quality on its Hoofer's. The new straps are too narrow and too hard.

After my Hoofer 2 wore out, I tried the new '09 Hoofers. I hated the back so much, I shipped it to my dad who is going to send me his old Hoofer 2 (He never carries). I cannot wait for it to arrive.

I have a Hoofer Extreme that is now quite old, but holding up very well. Since I will have to replace it someday, I keep looking at the stand bags in the stores when I'm there, and I'm horrified by the straps on everything! There's virtually no padding at all, and they are maybe two inches wide. Even some of the bags mentioned in this thread so far have straps that don't compare to an older Ping. Is there some good reason for this? Do the electric cart makers bribe all the Vice Presidents in the bag divisions to make the most awful stand bags possible? I find it difficult to believe that someone couldn't take over this entire market share with one decent bag strap, even if it was attached to a barely-average bag.

Definitely a big fan of the IZZO straps on the Mizuno bags!!

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='David Hillman' date='26 April 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1272319961' post='2402378']
I have a Hoofer Extreme that is now quite old, but holding up very well. Since I will have to replace it someday, I keep looking at the stand bags in the stores when I'm there, and I'm horrified by the straps on everything! There's virtually no padding at all, and they are maybe two inches wide. Even some of the bags mentioned in this thread so far have straps that don't compare to an older Ping. Is there some good reason for this? Do the electric cart makers bribe all the Vice Presidents in the bag divisions to make the most awful stand bags possible? I find it difficult to believe that someone couldn't take over this entire market share with one decent bag strap, even if it was attached to a barely-average bag.
[/quote]

It has to be cost. In addition to going away from the good, wide straps, Ping stopped using durable cordura for lighter, less sturdy nylon.

• 1 year later...

Bumping ancient thread to ask if there's been any changes in available bag straps before I get serious about buying a Mackenzie. I'd rather have a stand bag, but if I have to choose between a decent strap and a stand, I think I'll take the former. Just one good strap is all I ask. No stupid harnesses or systems with fancy names. It's ridiculous that no one sells that combination, but that seems to be the case. My Ping Hoofer Extreme is really on its last legs ( well, the legs are fine, but everything else is wearing out ) and I need to find a replacement. I'd pay several times what most bags cost for a great bag, but no one sells one, as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

Anything by Sun Mountain. They put the padding underneath the strap where it't actually needed, not on the side of the straps where it does nothing (see above pic of mizuno bag)

Titleist 910D2 8.5, Oban Devotion 7
Titleist 910F 13.5, Motore Speeder 7.0
TItleist 910F 19, Diamana Kai'li 70
Mizuno MP-32 4-PW, S400
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08, 56.14, 60.04
Ping Redwood Anser

Just realized that you were specifically starting a new strap topic regarding a single strap style. I guess between Iliac, Mackenzie, and Jones you'll find some loyalists who will have some good feedback from them. I checked the Jones bags out at the show and was really really impressed. A small selection for now but they should have a dozen or more shops carrying them by now.
[quote name='David Hillman' timestamp='1332811879' post='4588194']
[quote name='PutterHo' timestamp='1332810247' post='4587974']
SUN MOUNTAIN four5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

however I am an ex hoofer ho
[/quote]

Sun Mountain straps are, unfortunately, crap. And if I wanted to lug around a backpack, I'd go back to grade school.
[/quote]

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

Sun mountain collegiate. No the ones with ncaa teams but the reall collegiate bag. Has awesome big wide and well padded straps

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

The backpack system on the 2011 Sun Mountain Four5 is super comfortable. With that said, I think the bag weighs more so it needs the more comfortable straps.

I have one but will shortly be going 2012 Hoofer I have a feeling, and while the straps don't seem as thick, they seem to be kind of a memory foam type material compared to really thick cloth.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I have tried a lot of bags over the years, Pings, Ogio, Titleist, Sun Mountain and always end up going back to the Ping as well. I just picked up the new Hoofer this season and couldnt be happier. Its not the lightest carry bag on the market, but my opinion has always been that a pound or two of empty bag weight makes no difference when you stuff it full of clubs, balls, water bottle, snacks, phone, wallet, keys.......and so on. If you want you bag to be light, then take out the few dozen old balls we all have in that one pocket and stop picking up top flights.

On to the straps. The Ping Strap Retention system was a terrible idea. Luckily on the latest model they have gone back to the standard "fixed" straps. It does take some adjusting to get the straps in the perfect positions, but once they are set its just fine. The straps are plenty wide and cushioned just fine. You may be able to find some memory foam mesh NASA technology that might be more comfortable, but I have no issue with these.

The leg retention system is a brilliant idea to prevent "leg sag" and it does work for the most part. However the leg on the side of the umbrella holder gets hung up on it and still sags. A little tap and its snug as a bug. Maybe this will go away when the bag has softened up a bit from use.

This is also the first bag to have a zipper inside the largest pocket that opens up to the bottom of the inside of the bag (unzip it and you can see all your grips). Other bags may have done this before, but I have never had one. I dont know why it took so long to figure this out, but I will never have to take all my clubs out and turn the bag upside down to get my lucky ball maker, fumbled Pro V1 or keys again.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a (new) bag with a fantastic strap!

I was browsing around a pro shop I'd never been in before yesterday, and on the shelf, they had an old-school leather cart bag with a fat, 2-inch thick single strap. Now, unfortunately, it was attached to a relatively fat cart bag, which is one of the reasons I didn't buy it ( the other being that I have a Mackenzie Walker on the way ). The bag was made (in the US) by Miller. Searching the internet for Miller bags, though, turns up a million beer-logoed bags and a few vintage bags, but no information about new bags. Does anyone know anything about current Miller bags, or where I can find out about them?

Thanks.