2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

ANNOYING (and not) GOLFER HABITS/THINGS/ETIQUETTE

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good topic.

1. Crappy golfers waiting for the green to clear from 250. I've watched golfers who couldn't hit the side of the clubhouse wait for the green to clear then hit a duff hook 80 yards.

2. Slow play. No need to explain. Drives me nuts.

3. Guys who give me tips at the range. No thanks

4. "rules guys" - I play by the rules and respect the game as much as anyone but come on. In a match today, I was standing away and not exactly behind a guy putting. He's like next time you stand behind me, I'm calling the hole. I'm like suck it, I wasn't even close to being behind you.

5. Pitch marks on the green that are not fixed - Drives me nuts.

6. Anal proshop guys. Lighten up it's just a game.

Thats about it.

P.S. I want a big a** Nike VR Staff bag with my name on it!

I play Nike Blades and wore a pink TW shirt, White belt, use a Scotty and Shot 79 today. Poser club?

PING 10K CHROME 2.0 65

PING 430 15 CHROME 2.0 75

TITLEIST TSR2 HYBRID 19 DEG 

TITLEIST T150 4-PW

SM10 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN B 6 COPPER

[quote name='Sobonator' post='1769574' date='Jun 21 2009, 12:35 AM']When the partner im playing with gets too drunk and im having one of my few "good" days...[/quote]

My apologies to every player I've been "that partner" to. If I'm playing $30-$60 to play, then I need to GUARANTEE that I'll enjoy myself. My game isn't dependable enough to ensure that. Alcohol's effect on me is.

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' post='1587954' date='Mar 28 2009, 06:36 PM'][quote name='kingheatly' post='1587897' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:17 PM']Any chop that hooks a towel to their belt loop. Also hate it when a 17 handicapper has a set of sticks that cost $3000 and a Staff Bag......which last I looked, there are about 44,000 of those guys on this site. Here's a few words of wisdom......if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.[/quote]
Nice to have you here.... :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

I can relate. Who cares about the money spent on the gear. I have an uncle who is like this. He started playing the sport about 3-4 years ago and he really loves it. He's in his mid 50's-- and he's very aware about etiquette, no so much about the rules, sometimes :busted2: (I use this term loosely). He's all TM decked out, staff bag, irons, woods, etc. He dresse the part too, nice slacks and nice collar shirts. To me all that counts is he's having fun-- who gives a crap how much his gear cost.

[quote name='Tenementrock' post='1887794' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:46 PM']How about the guys who are so accustomed to fluffing their lie, that they do it to *every* ball, even in the fairway. Makes me sick just looking at it.[/quote]

Semi-related, I found a tee in the ground in the middle of the fairway on a par 5 last Sunday. Right in the area you might land your tee shot. I guess someone really wanted a good lie to go for it in 2.

My top five:

-the early caller that says good shot when something is airborne or on the green yet 40ft from the pin
-the guy that waits for the green to clear on the par 5 just in case his perfect 3wd goes 250yds whiles his driver went 200 and sliced 20 yds into the rough
-the 30+handicapper that does not play ready golf. i understand we were all beginners at one point, but being a beginner doesn't mean you can putt out those two footers, take 3+ practice swings, and or take forever to line up your putt when there's a 50% chance your ball isn't going to go where you want it to go
-guys that don't respect the cart path rules and rush up to the tee box while you're teeing off.
-the guy that comments on the noise my nike driver makes. yes i know its loud and annoying, but its also in the middle of the fairway and 50yds past anyone else

[quote name='Tenementrock' post='1887794' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:46 PM']How about the guys who are so accustomed to fluffing their lie, that they do it to *every* ball, even in the fairway. Makes me sick just looking at it.[/quote]

Actually that doesn't bother me at all, unless that person is playing in a match or tournament. Then it's of course a huge no-no, because they are not only cheating themselves, but cheating the opponent or tournament field. How someone plays the rules in a casual round is their own business. If I'm just playing for the fun of it, I'll play extra practice shots, take the ball out from under a tree, etc. if I feel like it. Sure, my score won't be 100% legit, but it's not hurting anyone else.

Even if they post that score for their handicap, it will only hurt them later in a tournament or match.

Heck, when I'm 90, I will probably be so disgusted by my lack of distance that I'll want to tee it up from 100 yards out.

[quote name='tonster' post='1887946' date='Aug 14 2009, 12:58 PM']-the 30+handicapper that does not play ready golf. i understand we were all beginners at one point, but being a beginner doesn't mean you can putt out those two footers, take 3+ practice swings, and or take forever to line up your putt when there's a 50% chance your ball isn't going to go where you want it to go[/quote]

I'm kind of confused by this. You dont want a high handicapper to putt out (isnt the entire purpose of the game to get the ball IN the hole????), take practice swings, or line up their putts? Do you expect them to remain 30 handicaps for ever? Or do they have your permission to attempt to improve?

Are you ok with a scratch golfer doing any of the above mentioned activities?

[quote name='Tenementrock' post='1887794' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:46 AM']How about the guys who are so accustomed to fluffing their lie, that they do it to *every* ball, even in the fairway. Makes me sick just looking at it.[/quote]I'm with Cherokee. as long as it is not a tournament round, or a money game, I couldnt possibly care less what someone does. I'll even write down a birdie for them on the score card after a couple of water balls if that is what they want to say they had. So long as they are just out playing for fun, why would it bother you?

[quote name='bortass' post='1887815' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM']Semi-related, I found a tee in the ground in the middle of the fairway on a par 5 last Sunday. Right in the area you might land your tee shot. I guess someone really wanted a good lie to go for it in 2.[/quote]

Not saying this is the case, but I have put a tee in the ground in the fairway to rest my club on, when the course was playing cart path only, so that I did not have to put my grips in the wet grass. This could have been the case, or someone could have just teed one up in the fairway, I dont know, just throwing that out there.

[quote name='bigred90gt' post='1893850' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:50 AM'][quote name='bortass' post='1887815' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM']Semi-related, I found a tee in the ground in the middle of the fairway on a par 5 last Sunday. Right in the area you might land your tee shot. I guess someone really wanted a good lie to go for it in 2.[/quote]

Not saying this is the case, but I have put a tee in the ground in the fairway to rest my club on, when the course was playing cart path only, so that I did not have to put my grips in the wet grass. This could have been the case, or someone could have just teed one up in the fairway, I dont know, just throwing that out there.
[/quote]

This is true. I normally will use my divot tool, but a tee can come in handy in a pinch as well for this purpose.

Most of these posts have covered everything. My personal pet peeve is playing with a spitter. Whether they dip or not, some just spit.
They are usually shocked when I ask, do you have to do that? There answers really don't matter. We are outdoors, I dip, it's a habit. etc., etc.
Well mannered people do not spit. This was once a gentleman's game. Manners and etiquette, honesty and integrity. If you don't agree, you have defined yourself.
It bothers me to see Tiger spitting on t.v. Boo, well I expect it from him. No class and he's proud of it. Money doesn't buy it. It is a matter of respect for the course, the game, others
on the course and for yourself.
Sorry for the rant.

[quote name='bortass' post='1887815' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM']Semi-related, I found a tee in the ground in the middle of the fairway on a par 5 last Sunday. Right in the area you might land your tee shot. I guess someone really wanted a good lie to go for it in 2.[/quote]

It might not be the case here, but often when playing in a scramble format, a member of the group will put a tee in the ground to mark the location of the shot everyone will be playing from. Then everyone takes 1-2 clublengths or whatever and plays their ball. Sometimes people forget to take the tee afterwards, I've done it.

[quote name='Tenementrock' post='1894012' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:57 PM'][quote name='bigred90gt' post='1893850' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:50 AM'][quote name='Tenementrock' post='1887794' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:46 AM']How about the guys who are so accustomed to fluffing their lie, that they do it to *every* ball, even in the fairway. Makes me sick just looking at it.[/quote]I'm with Cherokee. as long as it is not a tournament round, or a money game, I couldnt possibly care less what someone does. I'll even write down a birdie for them on the score card after a couple of water balls if that is what they want to say they had. So long as they are just out playing for fun, why would it bother you?[/quote]

It bothers me because I'm sort of hyper-vigiliant and because it's only one of the most fundamental of golf rules. Once you take that away it's a very different game. When I'm on the golf course I like to feel that the game is being played properly. If you were out playing a round and you spotted some people in the fairway playing tennis surely you would be bumped. I know we live in a me-first, do-what-thou-wilt kind of world these days, but at some point certain conventions ought to be respected or else the whole f***** thing will eventually devolve into something sloppy and undignified.
[/quote]

You know I agree. I hate when people fluff up the lie. In all honest, I might be a scratch golfer if i had a perfect lie from the rough every time.

PING 10K CHROME 2.0 65

PING 430 15 CHROME 2.0 75

TITLEIST TSR2 HYBRID 19 DEG 

TITLEIST T150 4-PW

SM10 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN B 6 COPPER

Annoying:
-People who don't fix their ball marks.
-Seniors who think younger people must let them tee off first, won't let faster players play through, stop through 9 to eat or go to the bathroom or whatever it is they do and then get mad when people try to play through eventhough they've been holding them up the whole time all because they're elders and we must allow them to do this. We all paid to play, heck I even paid more than they do.
-People who think they hit the ball way farther than they do and then constantly talk about hitting 300+ yard drives all day. I love to step in and say well I've been hitting it around 290-300 most of the day, while I've been consistently 20-30 yards longer.
-People who don't count all of their strokes and then talk about how they're 1, 2, 3, or 4 over, well you get my point. Meanwhile my actual score would only end up being maybe 3-4 strokes better than them according to their score despite me shotting lower than them on basically every hole. I love to say well I'm even or 2 over, 1 under, etc, yet I've beaten them on 12 of the 15 holes we played together.
-People who constantly need to borrow tees.
-People who constantly need to borrow balls.
-People who constantly talk when I hit but then if I accidently make a noise or something when they hit and they get mad.
-People who don't pay attention to where their ball goes and then can't find it and waste wayyyy too much time and then complain about giving up strokes because they lost a ball.
-People who don't pay attention to where their ball goes and then think it ended up way farther then where it actually did.
-People who don't pay attention to where their ball goes, drop a ball, and then don't count the stroke.
-The foursome who all drives to one ball, and then the next, and the next, and the last, while waiting for the each player to hit their shot in between. Play faster, I can play with 3 guys who shoot above 100 and still play it under 4 hours without rushing.
-The group that holds everything up.
-The group that holds everything up and then won't let anyone play through.
-The group that insists on playing ahead of you when you both arrive on the tee at the same time and then they hold you up the whole round and won't let you play through.
-The group who drives around in their cart looking for the ball, get out its easier to find it when out of the cart. They always drive back and forth and around in circles.

I can name a million more. I work at a course and have to deal with this stuff everyday.

Not so annoying:
-Giving someone a tip and then it drastically improves their game.
-Making an eagle.
-Hot beverage cart girls.
-Playing on a good course, in good condition, in good weather.

lol, good topic.

i ran into this all day yesterday. a friend of mine like to go to twilight because its not as hot and less people and of course about $10 cheaper. people who drag their feet! i had to pat my line the whole day. i know plenty of people played through the day but seriously, is it necessary?

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 1 year later...

I've played a couple times with a guy that likes to hit extra balls. 175 out, he hits a 5i, I start walking, then 3 seconds later I hear another 5i whistling somewhere over my head.

This is not polite, but I have advised him that if he ever hits me with a practice ball I will pour divot sand down his throat.

[quote name='Zlim' timestamp='1238264306' post='1587053']
-People that tee off behind us while we are in the fairway...I stayed back and let them know whats up, I was pissed..it almost hit my GF
-People that are not ready when tee time hits...not many issues with my groups but ALWAYS with the group before mine...why is that
[/quote]
That bothers me too.

[quote name='prodigy2 ' timestamp='1238273681' post='1587323']
when someone says "wow you really left that one short"
[/quote]
Exactly, when they try to mess with you sarcastically.

[quote name='Boba' timestamp='1238296402' post='1588172']
not ANNOYING:
• hot beverage cart girls
[/quote]
Haha, a lot of them seem to be.

Cleveland CG Black 265 Driver TaylorMade R7 3 Wood Callaway XHot Hybrid Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• 3 weeks later...

The best one is when it's backed up, the starter will let a two-some play. Everyone is waiting on the tee box to go and the two-some pull up and say "Hey can we play through".

Umm, if it's backed up, letting the two go will just make our wait longer. I have let two-some go in front of our group on SUNDAY in the past and the two-some will cause more delay because oh gee look at that, THEY ARE WAITING TO HIT JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. If it's not a wide-open day, don't expect our group to let you go in front of us just so we can be more backed up.

Another annoying one, I play with my high handicap friend once every two months. He knows he not the best golfer but comes out to hang out and we get paired with a random two-some. After the third hole, the other two decide to "Go play ahead" which, on a weekend at some courses will be backed up anyways, cause everyone to be backed up even more. Seriously, what is the logic behind this train of thought? We were going at a nice pace, not having to wait too long on the tee box to hit on each hole but all of a sudden they figure it's faster if they went ahead.....ok so now that they are stuck behind a four-some> four-some> four-some > two-some > two-some > four-some > four-some. Good job logic-master.

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1238282809' post='1587638']
[b][u]Bad stuff -
[/u][/b],,,
5. Golfers who pull out their rangefinder and shoot the flag.......thats still 280 away.
[/quote]

If I told you that better players tend to use rangefinders and better players plan to lay-up at an exact distance, would you still call it bad?

[quote name='jontyc' timestamp='1303210237' post='3166758']
[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1238282809' post='1587638']
[b][u]Bad stuff -
[/u][/b],,,
5. Golfers who pull out their rangefinder and shoot the flag.......thats still 280 away.
[/quote]

If I told you that better players tend to use rangefinders and better players plan to lay-up at an exact distance, would you still call it bad?
[/quote]

+1 I laser my second shot into a par 5 whether its 200 or 400 because I want to know how far I have to hit it to get to 80-100yds out which is my comfort zone. Now everyone in the group shooting the same yardage is another story. And where do you play that 5 guys are in the same group??

Its a total a-wadd thing to hit into people especially when the groups in front are playing slow. You shouldn't have to play a round with listening to people tee off at you when you are standing over your ball. Then the whole round you are always looking over your shoulder. People should get kicked off course for that.

[quote name='Racurl' timestamp='1248993042' post='1853910']
The number one annoyance on a golf course has GOT to be sunflower seed shells spit out on the green!

Some idiot thinks that I should have to sweep away or, worse yet, pick up the shells that he had in his mouth just so I can take my shot. And Heaven help you if you don't happen to notice a shell and your well-struck putt hits one of those bad-boys and careens off at a 90 degree angle.

I will flat-out quit playing the game and go on a hunt to find the guy ahead that is spitting sunflower seed shells out on the green! :angry22:
[/quote]

I was hoping that I was not alone on the subject of sunflower seeds. i don't know if there is anything more obnoxious than spitting anything on a green but seed shells are the most common example in my neck of the woods. If you have to spit, don't do it where I have to deal with it.

This is fun :man_in_love:

As has been mentioned, I hate the people that pick up golf balls no matter where they find them. Worse is the people that deny picking it up, cmon.
Once I was paired up with a guy, I hit it in the rough,(not too deep) we went to the spot where I hit to, and we couldn't find it, I appreciated the help he gave searching.

A couple of greens later he is putting and I notice that he is putting with my ball. I said hey thats the ball I lost a couple of holes ago! He looked suprised
and said that he found a ball then, but he was sure it wasn't my ball. I mark all my balls with SP and a smiley face, which of course this ball had. He then said it was his because he found it.

It wasn't a high end ball, so it wasn't a money thing, but I waited until the next hole and when we were near a good patch of trees, I hit him in the back of the head with my 9 iron and buried him in the woods.

He also had his name on his staff bag, so I got that going for me.

Just kidding. :diablo: