2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Did Couples Make a Rules Violation?

Give it to me - I'll take it. If you feel it's totally acceptable to sit back and call someone a liar or cheat without having all the facts - I guess that's what keeps this thing we call the internet such a key component of today's world

I think my issue here is more with the headline that they felt was appropriate. I just wouldn't call anyone, including a respected PGA Pro - a cheater. And that's what I thought I read the first time I saw this post.

All I'm saying is before I post a headline accusing or questioning anyone, pro or schmoe - of lying or cheating - I'd make damn sure I know the rules before I make accusations or post a headline/blurb questioning someone's integrity. That's how I read this. If I'm the odd ball here - I'll be the first to admit as much.

Perhaps if they didn't post a headline questioning a PGA Pro's conduct , unless it's John Daly, maybe I wouldn't care. But I think it does appear a bit small minded.

Hm. I thought making absurd claims that aren't backed up by either facts or reality is what advertising is all about?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it to me - I'll take it. If you feel it's totally acceptable to sit back and call someone a liar or cheat without having all the facts - I guess that's what keeps this thing we call the internet such a key component of today's world

I think my issue here is more with the headline that they felt was appropriate. I just wouldn't call anyone, including a respected PGA Pro - a cheater. And that's what I thought I read the first time I saw this post.

All I'm saying is before I post a headline accusing or questioning anyone, pro or schmoe - of lying or cheating - I'd make damn sure I know the rules before I make accusations or post a headline/blurb questioning someone's integrity. That's how I read this. If I'm the odd ball here - I'll be the first to admit as much.

Perhaps if they didn't post a headline questioning a PGA Pro's conduct , unless it's John Daly, maybe I wouldn't care. But I think it does appear a bit small minded.

duder, the problem is that you completely hauled off on the OP, when he was just asking an innocent question. he didn't go after anyone's integrity or make any outlandish accusations, that's what you did. and it's that type of bile that makes this board aggravating sometimes. worse, after everyone called you out immediately, you didn't back off.

I'm not out of line when I read a headline like this from someone who does not know what the heck they are talking about and I take exception to it. I do get upset when someone hiding behind a keyboard can make a statement accusing someone of cheating/lying/unethical conduct like this and throw it out there, without any recourse, right or wrong. (do I still beat my wife?) I think it makes everyone on here look like a jerk - me included - when you have to put up with idiots who think they know more than the pro's and officials on site.

Accusing a Pro of cheating is not out of line? Some nit picky guy hiding behind a keyboard is not out of line? I stand by what I said - it's this kind of person - who is not aware of the rules, who does not understand what he's actually saying who takes a small factoid and makes accusations and runs with it rather than getting the facts straight in the first place. Anyone who jumps on line accusing anyone of doing something outside the lines or unethichal - yes that bothers me. And it should bother others.

I do wonder what a little dweeb who has no other life but to jump on a board like this and make a totally inaccurate untrue statement contributes to society. I want to make sure I steer clear of them. Me, im actually in politics at a state capital on a senior staff, I see plenty of online crap that sometimes has a bit of truth to it, so if I am sensistive to postings that are half baked, forgive me. And I get along fine with my staff, client and media. But I don't make half a** statements about something until I get my facts straight is all i'm saying. And I do take offense to the idiots headline.

Your turn.

Well see there is the problem right there. Most everything you see in politics only has a bit of truth to it.

You sound as if you need a hug.

I see a huge difference in what the OP stated, and what you accused him of doing. If you ask me an apology should be made by you for such outrageous behaviour. Wait a minute, from Chicago eh, you arent Blagojevich are you? If so I guess I can understand the jumpy attitude.

"I'm in politics."

OH BROTHER!!

This is the kind of guy who would ask "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." Politicians like this guy will be the death of this country.

Fair question about Couple's putt... and several good explanations- and one d-bag who has to call for a senate inquiry into whether or not this was a communist plot or something. SHEESH!

Ernie Els got a bad Ruling from USGA official Trey Holland at the 1994 US Open, Oakmont. Holland made the wrong Ruling, but since he is an official, it stood, and Els was not penalized. The mistake helped Els one full shot, maybe more. Els won the tournament.

[. In some situations, it might be better to always get a ruling, rather than think you KNOW that massive little rule book.

Since I haven't seen anyone address the original question, here goes: There is no penalty if the stance is inadvertantly taken on or astride the line of putt (or on an extension of that line behind the ball) or is taken to avoid standing on another player's line of putt or prospective line of putt. Rule 16-1e. Additionally, the line of putt does not extend beyond the hole per the definition of line of putt, so there was no violation in this case. Hope this helps

Actually, professional players as well as officials make rules violation mistakes all the time.

It's perfectly fine, and encouraged, for anyone watching play to question whether a player violated a Rule of Golf.

That includes playing partners, caddies, spectators in the gallery, fans watching at home on television etc.... It's part of the game.

If no Rule was broken then the outcome is no no penalty and no harm done. If there was a Rule broken then the player and, or, official is glad to learn about it.

Aren't you supposed to be at a tee time right now?

I was watching that and heard Miller back off of saying something. i am glad they didn't because Fred had a great round and didn't need any controversy surrounding it.

I assumed he did it because he didnt want to step in anyones line, but I did wonder about it.  It was really quiet for a few seconds after he did it, so maybe they wondered too.....

I am typing on my Blackberry as I drive to the course. The Golfsmith salesperson insisted I get an R flex, but I'm telling you right now if one shot goes left I am heading back to that store to trade it in for an S flex, maybe an X. Might even leave the course at the 6th green and if there is no traffic I can swap the R for an S or X and make it back to join my group on the 11th tee box. We'll see.

Aren't you supposed to be at a tee time right now?

"I'm in politics."

OH BROTHER!!

This is the kind of guy who would ask "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." Politicians like this guy will be the death of this country.

Fair question about Couple's putt... and several good explanations- and one d-bag who has to call for a senate inquiry into whether or not this was a communist plot or something. SHEESH!

"I'm in politics." That means he arranges for all the dead people in Chicago to vote democrat...

Guys like you give us all a bad name. Relax. And look again and get your facts straight before you make such an absurb accusation about a pro who's only been playing for 25+ years and just MIGHT know the rules too.

It's a freaking game for pete's sake. Try to remember that. Love to hear what a guy like this does for a living.

I don't think your comment is completely out of line. I just wanted to get a free post out of it. :insert totally inappropriate smiley:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I'm not out of line when I read a headline like this from someone who does not know what the heck they are talking about and I take exception to it. I do get upset when someone hiding behind a keyboard can make a statement accusing someone of cheating/lying/unethical conduct like this and throw it out there, without any recourse, right or wrong. (do I still beat my wife?) I think it makes everyone on here look like a jerk - me included - when you have to put up with idiots who think they know more than the pro's and officials on site.

Accusing a Pro of cheating is not out of line? Some nit picky guy hiding behind a keyboard is not out of line? I stand by what I said - it's this kind of person - who is not aware of the rules, who does not understand what he's actually saying who takes a small factoid and makes accusations and runs with it rather than getting the facts straight in the first place. Anyone who jumps on line accusing anyone of doing something outside the lines or unethichal - yes that bothers me. And it should bother others.

I do wonder what a little dweeb who has no other life but to jump on a board like this and make a totally inaccurate untrue statement contributes to society. I want to make sure I steer clear of them. Me, im actually in politics at a state capital on a senior staff, I see plenty of online crap that sometimes has a bit of truth to it, so if I am sensistive to postings that are half baked, forgive me. And I get along fine with my staff, client and media. But I don't make half a** statements about something until I get my facts straight is all i'm saying. And I do take offense to the idiots headline.

Your turn.

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this part?

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Your turn.

lol, I read that and thought it was an inside joke.. this is my que to exit this thread lol

Guys like you give us all a bad name. Relax. And look again and get your facts straight before you make such an absurb accusation about a pro who's only been playing for 25+ years and just MIGHT know the rules too.

It's a freaking game for pete's sake. Try to remember that. Love to hear what a guy like this does for a living.

I don't think your comment is completely out of line. I just wanted to get a free post out of it. :insert totally inappropriate smiley:

if it had later been pointed out as a violation I'm sure Couples would have been the 1st to say it was a stupid mistake on his part, that he wasn't thinking after a poor putt, that he should have known better, that he deserved the consequence and the game's all about integrity.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Your turn.

lol, I read that and thought it was an inside joke.. this is my que to exit this thread lol

In the context of what the poster was so poorly trying to get across, something about false accusations, if you ask someone "Do you still beat your wife?", you are implying they beat their wife in the past. Not a very nice accusation. What this has to do with the thread and Fred Couples...well....that's anyone's guess.

I would have thought senior staff members in politics have more pressing issues than checking out the threads at GolfWRX. Guess not? GolfWRX sure is important though....no longer do we have thread titles, we have HEADLINES!

i'm really sorry i missed this thread. Why did i go to work today

guys going off for no reason, anti democrat propaganda, wife beating, the word dweeb.

it had it all.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

A Chicago political complaining about ethics...Now that is funny!!!

BTW.

Please note the original poster used 2 question marks in the title

of the tread.

I think you owe the OP an apology.

Your turn.

wow. that was uncalled for.

PARMARK you are way out of line with your comment. Idiotic is not the best word to describe that tyraid of yours, but it will have to do.

Yo.....Calm down.....The man just asked a question. That's what a forum is for!

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Come on guy, you keep saying the guy called Couples a cheater. Go back take a breath and read it again, he was asking a question. Did you ever think maybe he want to know so when he does it on the course he is not breaking a rule? Did you think that maybe he was new to the game? or did you even think that others may have thought this and didnt know but clicked on the link to find out cause they were thinking the same thing.

I think if you take a step back you may realize that you overreacted just a little.

Nike Vapor Pro Blades 5-PW
Nike Unitized Putter
Nike Covert Driver
Nike Engage Wedges
Nike CPR 5 Wood (yes the original CPR)
NIKE Sasquatch 3 Wood

When it happened, you could even hear Johnny Miller start to say something, then stop. (Which for him must have taken serious willpower)

I noticed that too, but thought that he almost missed the tap in or something.

yeap, it was careless no matter. fred needs to stop being so defeatist on the greens. like TW said about the putt to tie rocco and get in a playoff last year's Open. he just focused on making a good stroke and if it didnt go in, so be it, at least he could walk off the green with his head held high. thats the attitude.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Me, im actually in politics at a state capital on a senior staff

well, if there was any question left about why politics is so screwed up, it's been answered now.

Yeah, all credibility is lost once Chicago politics is brought into the discussion. For the life of me why anyone would offer out that little nugget is beyond belief. And a senior staff member to boot? That is impressive... :rolleyes:

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH do I still beat my wife?BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH dweeb BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Your turn.

my turn to do what? beat my wife? No thanks not my style you "dweeb".