2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron Classic Mini

nickpoz

I just read through The Cameron Collector forum and found the following info about the mini and its 5 pieces:

1. from the Levine collection

2. owned by a certain Kaz

3. the one posted here by Nickpoz

4. in the possession of Scotty himself

5. unaccounted for

So there is the argument about two putters in one block of steel so how come this is an odd number?

That shouldn't be hard to figure out. The 6th putter was never delivered or assembled. It is just a head that is in Bettinardi's office.

Does that account for everything so far?

Jick, do you mind if I ask why you have Scotty as your avatar? Just curious....pretty funny I think.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a little unfair for people here to bash Cameron and no one defending him. Let me try to defend him using his own words.

The reactions here just cement Cameron's statements he made earlier this year in Golf Digest's March 2009 issue:

"I feel their jealousy. I'm very lucky to be in the position I'm in. ... I just wish people would stop with the negativity. I'm very lucky to be in the position I'm in. T.P. Mills and Karsten Solheim opened the door for Scotty Cameron. I just wish people would stop with the negativity, and see I'm just carrying the torch for the next generation."

The way everyone replies in this thread surely makes Cameron feel like there are more people jealous at him. In a 2006 Golf Digest Interview, Cameron also said:

"Picking up where men like Karsten left off is a big challenge. Is my Newport putter a takeoff on the Ping Anser? Of course it is. ...But is it wrong to take off on their original designs and try to make them better? Absolutely not."

There is a much earlier interview in Sports Illustrated from May 2002 where Cameron explains what he really is doing:

"What would be nice would be for some credit to come my way. I've paved the way. It would be nice for them to say, like I'm saying about T.P. Mills and Karsten Solheim, 'Thanks for opening the doors for other putter makers.' "

Basically, Cameron likens himself to the modern-day Solheim or Mills. He claims to be improving on their designs. He feels others are simply jealous of him, while he begs for credit to go his way for opening the door for other putter makers. That seems to be Cameron's position whenever there are threads about him such as this one.

I hope this gives everyone a clearer picture of where Cameron is coming from so you won't be unduly harsh on him.

It is a little unfair for people here to bash Cameron and no one defending him. Let me try to defend him using his own words.

The reactions here just cement Cameron's statements he made earlier this year in Golf Digest's March 2009 issue:

"I feel their jealousy. I'm very lucky to be in the position I'm in. ... I just wish people would stop with the negativity. I'm very lucky to be in the position I'm in. T.P. Mills and Karsten Solheim opened the door for Scotty Cameron. I just wish people would stop with the negativity, and see I'm just carrying the torch for the next generation."

The way everyone replies in this thread surely makes Cameron feel like there are more people jealous at him. In a 2006 Golf Digest Interview, Cameron also said:

"Picking up where men like Karsten left off is a big challenge. Is my Newport putter a takeoff on the Ping Anser? Of course it is. ...But is it wrong to take off on their original designs and try to make them better? Absolutely not."

There is a much earlier interview in Sports Illustrated from May 2002 where Cameron explains what he really is doing:

"What would be nice would be for some credit to come my way. I've paved the way. It would be nice for them to say, like I'm saying about T.P. Mills and Karsten Solheim, 'Thanks for opening the doors for other putter makers.' "

Basically, Cameron likens himself to the modern-day Solheim or Mills. He claims to be improving on their designs. He feels others are simply jealous of him, while he begs for credit to go his way for opening the door for other putter makers. That seems to be Cameron's position whenever there are threads about him such as this one.

I hope this gives everyone a clearer picture of where Cameron is coming from so you won't be unduly harsh on him.

I am in no way an authority on putter makers, but to the casual observer these selected quotes do not come off well. "I feel their jealousy"... "What would be nice would be for some credit to come my way. I've paved the way." These words are sprinkled with narcasism and the fear of how his legacy will be perceived is quite evident. I fear you did a disservice to Mr. Cameron by posting them, especially out of context. I play Bettinardis so I am clearly biased. But IMHO I do not think Mr. Cameron should be placed at the same level as Mills and Solheim.

I think Cameron has done a very nice job is refining the designs of Karsten Solheim and TP Mills. But remember, these were their designs originally, not Camerons. It is one this to design an original putter that is also highly successful to have someone follow up and refine that design later in time. It is another thing to take the design of some other designer, tweak a few things and call the evolved putter the creation of the re-designers. Cameron makes a fabulous Anser styled putter in the 009, which I feel is one of the best refinements of the Anser putter.

Cameron cannot take sole credit in the milling process for the putter as TP Mills did this way before Cameron did. Therefore the milled putter credit goes to TP Mills. I am not aware of any other designer doing this prior to TP but if anyone has information regarding this let me know. Wasn't it Bob Bettinardi that produced the first one piece milled putter?

Maybe one day Cameron will design a truly original and innovated design that will stand the test of time that others will offer their take in refining that putter. Until then, I am just curious exactly what accolades Cameron is looking to receive from the industry.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Has Scotty ever designed a putter (unique design and had great success with it?)

Hmmmmm, I am not sure. Detour? ;)

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Exactly, he's given credit to Solheim and Mills in several interviews. He doesn't hide that fact. He's currently the biggest of all of the high end putter manufacturers by a huge margin. He has taken a lot of things to the next level: marketing, merchandizing, tour support, alliances with manufacturers, collectibility, documentation of putter history, web support, and he creates some pretty darned good putters that a lot of people like. You can discount those as worthless, but the fact is they got Scotty to the top. Do you think Bettinardi/Mills/Byron etc would like to be on top right now? It takes talent, hard work, intelligence, personality, connections with the right people, and business sense. For the new guys out there looking to break into the putter market, you can be sure that they study Scotty Cameron to see how to be successful. Are people jealous of Scotty? You bet.

...He has taken a lot of things to the next level:

...documentation of putter history, web support...

Correct me if I'm missing something here, but if he had such great documentation of putter history and web support, there wouldn't be 26 pages of debate questioning the quantity of minis produced. :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Correct me if I'm missing something here, but if he had such great documentation of putter history and web support, there wouldn't be 26 pages of debate questioning the quantity of minis produced. :rolleyes:

The point you're missing is that Scotty took both of those to a completely new level.

Scotty has made millions of putters over the past few decades, some of them extremely valuable. It takes a lot of effort to attempt to document them with serial numbers and his COA system. Sure, out of all of those putters the Scotty Haters can point out a few instances where mistakes were made. But overall he's done a great job, much better than any other manufacturer.

As far as the web support goes, Scotty's web site has been the best putter site on the internet and continues to move further ahead. He puts in more personal effort and has tons of photos, movies, interviews, historical documentation, tour blog etc. Lending support to the Cameron Collector forum is a risky proposition because it opens him up to Haters who's only purpose is to criticize him and his products. But he does it anyway. There are strict rules that have to be in place to keep it from becoming a war zone. But overall it's a huge asset for people interested in Cameron putters. You can criticize it for being too strict, but until someone else like Ping/Odyssey/Bettinardi step up and support a dedicated forum for their own putters we'll never know if they wouldn't have the same kind of strict enforcement. They're not even trying, at least Scotty tries.

I think his website, video's etc. are there for one reason Marketing.. I think that you are silly to think that SC does it out of the kindness of his heart. Any way Titleist or SC does not support a collectors forum like TCC just ask Vog :rolleyes: And there is a dedicated forum for other putter makers like Mills, BB, Morgan it's called PutterTalk and if you go over there a read the posts they manage to talk about different putter makers even SC and even have different views etc. and they are not censored by cowboy mods or posts being deleted and I have never heard of anyone being banned for asking questions. Why other sites can't do the same? Maybe they have something to hide or protect.

So now we've gone from he's the best to he's the pioneer, to at least he's trying?

I tried a lot in school too, but when I gave false or inaccurate information, my professor still gave me an "F." No A for effort.

Thankfully, I've learned through the internet that his criticism is because he was a Hater. :rolleyes:

edit: "millions of putters?" I think not. I'd call that embellishment on the part of a fanboy, but that would make me a "Scotty Hater." Though I'm sure in many years, the 1,000,000th Cameron sold will be marketed and collected by somebody.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Read Scotty's blog, he's passionate about his work, it's not just marketing hype. And, even if it is purely marketing, it's a BUSINESS. The goal is to be successful. Marketing is hugely important to the success or failure of a business.

Puttertalk is no different than this forum. It's not a dedicated forum for one manufacturer. Completely different format, completely different rules that are required.

So now we've gone from he's the best to he's the pioneer, to at least he's trying?

I tried a lot in school too, but when I gave false or inaccurate information, my professor still gave me an "F." No A for effort.

Thankfully, I've learned through the internet that his criticism is because he was a Hater. :rolleyes:

edit: "millions of putters?" I think not. I'd call that embellishment on the part of a fanboy, but that would make me a "Scotty Hater." Though I'm sure in many years, the 1,000,000th Cameron sold will be marketed and collected by somebody.

He's the best at what he does, head and shoulders above his nearest rival in terms of business success. He tries harder, period.

They celebrated the 1 millionth pivot tool recently. There have been articles where they estimated the annual output at 200,000 putters for Cameron. I'd say 1 million is a conservative estimate.

The point you're missing is that Scotty took both of those to a completely new level.

Scotty has made millions of putters over the past few decades, some of them extremely valuable. It takes a lot of effort to attempt to document them with serial numbers and his COA system. Sure, out of all of those putters the Scotty Haters can point out a few instances where mistakes were made. But overall he's done a great job, much better than any other manufacturer.

As far as the web support goes, Scotty's web site has been the best putter site on the internet and continues to move further ahead. He puts in more personal effort and has tons of photos, movies, interviews, historical documentation, tour blog etc. Lending support to the Cameron Collector forum is a risky proposition because it opens him up to Haters who's only purpose is to criticize him and his products. But he does it anyway. There are strict rules that have to be in place to keep it from becoming a war zone. But overall it's a huge asset for people interested in Cameron putters. You can criticize it for being too strict, but until someone else like Ping/Odyssey/Bettinardi step up and support a dedicated forum for their own putters we'll never know if they wouldn't have the same kind of strict enforcement. They're not even trying, at least Scotty tries.

I think you're actually missing the intent of a fan site like cameron collector.... as there is little to no criticism of any of his products as that is what is against the rules (or can be easily deleted). Only positive comments can be made and only questions that will allow for the answer to be a marketing piece. There is nothing else to do there but to ask questions about this or that model and to tell everyone how nice their putter or collection is. It's a fan site, not a discussion board like this where all opinions are welcome. I visit there and ask a question now and then but I would never expect an answer that didn't portray the product in the best possible light.

The website is catchy and entertaining and gives the purchasers additional perceived value to their product.

I am a golf collector with a great deal of experience and have seen some of the best golf collections in the world and know most everyone who is serious about golf collecting and golf history. Many shake their head at the Cameron craze as from a collecting standpoint it just doesn't make sense. Instant collectibles.... made to order collectibles... as seen on TV... get them now... get them next week... lots more to come...

Many consider Cameron the Franklin Mint or HotWheels or the Nascar of golf collecting. To me it's fine that the market exists and I'm happy for Scotty that he's raking in the big bucks from this anomoly. But what I don't like is being labeled a Hater just because I don't subscribe to the menagerie. In fact I think that people like you who brand everyone with a different opinion a Hater are doing more to harm the brand than you are helping by buying the latest furry cover.

Collect what you like and allow others to do the same...

PS. And I fully expect to get a reply that is in a whiney voice............ "yeah, but HE started it..."

Hickory Set:

MacGregor #37 brassie; Spalding #6 Bulldog; Jack White #4 wood; Tom Stewart Cleek, Mashie Iron, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Spade Mashie, Niblick. Putters are T. Stewart Gem or Standard Golf Schenectady copy. All in a Belding 1904 pencil bag with antique leather headcovers.

Modern Set:

All Titleist stuff. Driver TS3, Fairway 917F, hybrid TSi3, Irons 4-PW are AP2 714, Vokey wedges 50/54/58, Cameron Laguna classic (I bought it in 1996), PING Anser MgBr (high school putter). All in a leather Mackenzie Walker bag.

As far as the web support goes, Scotty's web site has been the best putter site on the internet and continues to move further ahead. He puts in more personal effort and has tons of photos, movies, interviews, historical documentation, tour blog etc.

So when there are mistakes and inconsistencies we can blame Scotty now?:)

As far as the web support goes, Scotty's web site has been the best putter site on the internet and continues to move further ahead. He puts in more personal effort and has tons of photos, movies, interviews, historical documentation, tour blog etc.

So when there are mistakes and inconsistencies we can blame Scotty now? :)

You do anyway, right? Why stop now. Indirectly Scotty takes the blame for everything because his name is on the product, but that doesn't mean that he personally does everything. He has a staff of 19 people at the Putter Studio. The way some of you talk you'd think that all they do is sit around all day and let Scotty do everything.

I think you're actually missing the intent of a fan site like cameron collector.... as there is little to no criticism of any of his products as that is what is against the rules (or can be easily deleted). Only positive comments can be made and only questions that will allow for the answer to be a marketing piece. There is nothing else to do there but to ask questions about this or that model and to tell everyone how nice their putter or collection is. It's a fan site, not a discussion board like this where all opinions are welcome. I visit there and ask a question now and then but I would never expect an answer that didn't portray the product in the best possible light.

The website is catchy and entertaining and gives the purchasers additional perceived value to their product.

I am a golf collector with a great deal of experience and have seen some of the best golf collections in the world and know most everyone who is serious about golf collecting and golf history. Many shake their head at the Cameron craze as from a collecting standpoint it just doesn't make sense. Instant collectibles.... made to order collectibles... as seen on TV... get them now... get them next week... lots more to come...

Many consider Cameron the Franklin Mint or HotWheels or the Nascar of golf collecting. To me it's fine that the market exists and I'm happy for Scotty that he's raking in the big bucks from this anomoly. But what I don't like is being labeled a Hater just because I don't subscribe to the menagerie. In fact I think that people like you who brand everyone with a different opinion a Hater are doing more to harm the brand than you are helping by buying the latest furry cover.

I agree, Cameron Collector is a fan site. It's for fans of Scotty Cameron products. Not Bettinardi, not Ping, Not Byron. You can't really argue that it's not a forum though. The main format is forum based, unlike Scotty's Acushnet web site. You might not like the strict rules on Cameron Collector but they are in place to keep it from becoming a war zone like this thread.

So when there are mistakes and inconsistencies we can blame Scotty now? :)

You do anyway, right? Why stop now. Indirectly Scotty takes the blame for everything because his name is on the product, but that doesn't mean that he personally does everything. He has a staff of 19 people at the Putter Studio. The way some of you talk you'd think that all they do is sit around all day and let Scotty do everything.

You did say he puts a lot of personal effort.

So again either his personal effort ain't cutting it or what you are saying about the personal effort (not done by 1 of the 19 staff members) has no basis.

Added:

If you are willing to take the accolades for a wonderful business/site/etc, you better be ready to take the hits as well. Even if the mistakes were by "someone else".

I found this to be a very odd interview.

Typically, someone who has a Museum, Website,Brand-name, and successful business does not crave 'credit'. It's no different than respect... it's earned. And to some he has earned that credit & respect. To others he has not. So what? If you love what you do....... keep at it.

Have to remember- someone like Karsten was a pioneer who took PLENTY of Arrows and negative comments for Decades-- with about every radical design he had. From putters- to woods- to irons.

I never recall a quote of feeling others "jealousy" or wanting credit. He felt from his background, many of his designs were better..... and 50 years later...is still being proven correct.

I agree, Cameron Collector is a fan site. It's for fans of Scotty Cameron products. Not Bettinardi, not Ping, Not Byron. You can't really argue that it's not a forum though. The main format is forum based, unlike Scotty's Acushnet web site. You might not like the strict rules on Cameron Collector but they are in place to keep it from becoming a war zone like this thread.

And you really can't argue that you will never see an opinion or fact allowed that is in opposition to the company line... so the whole thing is basically just propaganda... and back-slappers cheering each other on. It also creates a false sense of security that can only be supported by the recruitment of the newly blinded to help increase the value of the current "subscribers" product (think pyramid scheme). All that is fine (IMO) for the ownership experience and for brand awareness but when it comes to trying to support the attributed value of these "collectibles" it is truly a house of cards. Enjoy it if you like, but recognize that it can't be sustained or supported as it currently exists as there is too much product out there. Visit hotwheelscollectors.com and you will see that it is practically the same site. There are hundreds of other sites just the same and all they are trying to do is create demand to sell product. I think it's fine to be a fan and to accumulate the products and spout the company marketing phrases to anyone who will listen, but just don't get all nazzy when others dismiss the claims about how much something is worth... which was the start of this 27 page thread... and I guess of course with Cameron products you never really know just how many there really are... which pokes holes in the collecting theory and that is what makes TCCers rabid...

Hickory Set:

MacGregor #37 brassie; Spalding #6 Bulldog; Jack White #4 wood; Tom Stewart Cleek, Mashie Iron, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Spade Mashie, Niblick. Putters are T. Stewart Gem or Standard Golf Schenectady copy. All in a Belding 1904 pencil bag with antique leather headcovers.

Modern Set:

All Titleist stuff. Driver TS3, Fairway 917F, hybrid TSi3, Irons 4-PW are AP2 714, Vokey wedges 50/54/58, Cameron Laguna classic (I bought it in 1996), PING Anser MgBr (high school putter). All in a leather Mackenzie Walker bag.

This worshipful approach is only too ironic as you rail against the Scotty Haters.

You've simply become a Scotty Hagiographer.

Biscuity would have made a wonderful biographer for a KGB luminary.

This thread has lost me. I think people take things far too seriously lol. If I like a putter, I don't care what/where/who/how its made by aslong as it holes putts :)

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

He's the best at what he does, head and shoulders above his nearest rival in terms of business success.

We finally agree on something. However, it is not that he is the "best at what he does" that bothers many people. It is "what he does" that is troublesome. There have been a lot of people that have been the best at what they have done. Bernie Madoff comes to mind. Those that tried to tell the FCC and others about Madoff were labeled discontents, complainers, etc. just like some of us are now labeled Cameron haters. Eventually, "... you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Ok, I didn't miss this....

Scotty Cameron is like Bernie Madoff....... Madoff was the best at what he did?????

Wow.......

They celebrated the 1 millionth pivot tool recently.

:clapping: :russian_roulette:

Biscuit this is very noble of you.. But I'm sure if Scott himself were reading this he'd probably tell you to stop.. first high-end escorts.. now the 1 millionth pivot tool.. your posts just keep getting better and better :friends:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

This thread has lost me. I think people take things far too seriously lol. If I like a putter, I don't care what/where/who/how its made by aslong as it holes putts :)

This thread is really not about a putter called the Mini. This thread is more about ethics and integrity. This thread is about how people conduct themselves in the business world and about respect, given and received.

At least that is what this thread means to me.

If Scotty designed and created this head shape do you not think he would have patented or trademarked the design and that he would be screaming bloody murder that Bettinardi has been making this head style for a couple of years?

I don't think a fairly traditional putter head would be protectable under either patent or trademark law.