Is there a good chart or formula out there for choosing the right tees?

Today my home course's pro and I were talking about the nonsense that takes place from the tips on a day to day basis. He wants to put something in the pro shop saying what tees to play based off handicap, or driving distance, etc. I was wondering what is the best way to go about this process?

Cheers

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One that I have heard of is that you should take your 5iron distance and multiply it by 36. That will give you a yardage target for you to choose your set of tee's from.

Ex. if you hit your 5i 19o yds. 6,840 yards should be your target length.

Just because you hit your clubs along way, doesn't really mean you should be playing the tips though.

One that I have heard of is that you should take your 5iron distance and multiply it by 36. That will give you a yardage target for you to choose your set of tee's from.

Just because you hit your clubs along way, doesn't really mean you should be playing the tips though.

So 7200 yards.

That's about 600 yards longer than the course I play the most around here. What do I do? Tee off from the parking lot?

-mini

Just from my own experience with other players, assuming 5 sets of tees:

Black = 5 handicap or lower

Blue = 6 handicap to 14 handicap

White = 15 handicap to 24 handicap

Gold (if applicable) = 24 handicap to 32 handicap

Red = Above 32

Better women and seniors should not be relegated to Red and Gold respectively. Tee markers should be based on ability not gender.

Red = Above 32

Better women and seniors should not be relegated to Red and Gold respectively. Tee markers should be based on ability not gender.

This is absolutely meaningless because all courses are not created equally.

Yardage, Rating and Slope is what someone should use to choose tees appropriately.

So 7200 yards.

That's about 600 yards longer than the course I play the most around here. What do I do? Tee off from the parking lot?

-mini

This was just an estimate that I had seen somewhere, I believe on this site awhile back. It is no way something official. And if you are hitting your reg 5i 200 yds., then you should probably be playing a longer course. I am sure you are driver/wedge all day on a 6600 yard course.

I think handicap and consistency, especially off the tee should be the most determining factors. Just as long as you are comfortable playing that distance.

Red = Above 32

Yardage, Rating and Slope is what someone should use to choose tees appropriately.

The original poster asked for a reference based on handicap or distance at his course, not for 10,000 courses. Handicaps can be adjusted for course rating and slope. So explain to me again why this is absolutely meaningless and, better yet, come up with something constructive instead of condescending.

Red = Above 32

The original poster asked for a reference based on handicap or distance at his course, not for 10,000 courses. Handicaps can be adjusted for course rating and slope. So explain to me again why this is absolutely meaningless and, better yet, come up with something constructive instead of condescending.

It could be meaningless as not all courses have black tees.

For my course it's usually

Blue + - 10-15 handicappers, with duffers sprinkled in

White 15-25, sometimes with gals mixed in.

Red- Women

Red = Above 32

I just saw the same guidelines on a scorecard for a course I'm playing Sunday that I've never been too. Even though it's very generalized I'd say it's a good starting point.

I usually just look at the scorecard and see if there are any par 4's I can't reach in 2, especially ones with narrow holes where I would be hitting 3 wood and then no realistic shot of getting on in regulation. I also look for par 3's that would be ridiculous for me to hit consistently at my length and ability (i.e. mostly 200+ yard par 3's) and move down a teebox if necessary.

just my opinion... but if you can't break 80 from the whites or forward tees... that is where you should stay. same with the blues stay there untill you can break 80 and then move on to the tips..... i don't care if your hitting wedges into all the greens break 80 first... the game of golf is not about distance or ego.... but its seems that is the way it is....

just my opinion... but if you can't break 80 from the whites or forward tees... that is where you should stay. same with the blues stay there untill you can break 80 and then move on to the tips..... i don't care if your hitting wedges into all the greens break 80 first... the game of golf is not about distance or ego.... but its seems that is the way it is....

+1

This is what I have always been told by starters when me and my friends travel to different places for golf. Its a great rule of thumb.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

This is exactly what I said on this topic last time it came up. You gotta be able to hit good short irons before you can hit good long irons IMO.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

some of the comments are interesting. I am a 16 handicap. I try to play a tee box with a slope between 120 - 130.

If a course is short or long doesn't really matter. Slope is the best way of judging difficulty to me. Rating is pretty much useless unless you are a scratch - 5 handicap.

That is because you are the "bogey golfer" (not meant to be a perjorative term) and is why "slope" was developed. Slope is the indication of how difficult a course is for the bogey golfer, which as a 16 hdcp, you are.

The course rating is for the "scratch" golfer.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

"choosing the right tees?"

I prefer the wooden ones :rolleyes:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Seems like a good rule of thumb.......

I usually look at the score card and if I have to hit drivers to reach the par 3's and fairway woods to more than a couple of par 4's then I move up, I am not a long hitter but a single digit handicap and find that 6300 to 6800 is about right depending on the track. I know a guy who is a single digit and a loooooong hitter, when he plays a shorter couse he struggles big time, move him to the tips and the course opens up for him. Very awkward playing differnt sets of tees for most, when he plays the tees I want I usually beat him, the tees he wants he kills me. In fairness to him he is better than me, he was a former golf pro.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

you are absolutely correct. especially about the egos. i see guys hitting fairways woods into every par 4 and still not getting home (even the pros have problems hitting greens with fairway woods).

sam snead once said a golfer should play from the forward tees until he or she shoots par or better.

Red = Above 32

Well, I sincerely apologize because I did not understand that the suggestion made by "psd" was based on the home course of the OP "Ping Blackout Grip." The OP didn't name the course or mention anything about yardage or difficulty so I didn't realize that psd knew what course the OP was talking about. But for the rest of us, without any knowledge of the unnamed course of the OP, the info presented by psd is indeed meaningless.

That's why I made the suggestion of using yardage, rating and slope, which I thought was constructive.

Most of the time i will play white tees, unless im playing say a shorter par 3 where there is about 10yd difference and i would rather miss the green short then go over into the hazard i might play the blue just incase i get a nice solid hit and misjudge my distance i wont end up in the trees/OB

Which brings up a question. If you tee off hole #1 on the white, is there a rule saying you have to play white tees the rest of your round?

courses you play a lot, you can move back (again, don't be a slow-poke). Courses you play for the first time move up.

scramble, you can move back. 4 some with hacks, move up.

for convenience, i played the senior tees with a guest last week. i shot an 82, about 10 better than usual, and only 400 yards total difference. no triples, 1 birdie. that was a pleasant experiement!

I played a round last weekend and it took 5 1/2 hours. The groups in front of us were playing the blue tees and should have bee on the white tees. I don't think I saw them get to one green on any par 3 and they couldn't even hit it far enough to carry some of the water off the tee. When you only carry your driver 160 move up. Also if you loose your top rock you paid 10cents for let it go no point in getting the damn ball retriever out and searching for 10 minutes.... I have no idea what is the point of the rangers out there. Everytime they come around they just say it's really slow out there today eh? Yea speed it up please.... I think handicap should be what determines where you play. I like what someone said earlier about if you can't break 80 from the tees you are playing stay there until you can. Then you can move back.

Take the slope of the longest hole, subtract your index. Play the tee slope close to that number. (Per Frank Thomas).

How do you determine the slope of the longest hole?

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Each set of tees have different ratings and slope. That is why my H/C would be lower if you and I both shot 80, but you played from up front and I played from the tips.

I would say a set of tees might only make 10 minutes difference in a whole round. People are either slow or fast and it doesn't matter what set of tees they hit from.

I think rating and slope are the best way to determine which tees to play. I play to an 11 currently (range from 8-12 based on how often I play) and when I went on a golf trip with a buddy of mine who is about a 30, he insisted on playing courses that were a certain yardage. The tee options were 6000, 6250 and 6700 from the black. There was a sign that said anyone with handicap over 20 should play from the 6000. Needless to say, we played the 6250 after I talked him out of the 6700 and he was struggling the whole time in the woods because this course was much tighter than his normal course which plays at 6600 but is really open with not much penalty for wayward drives.

Anyway, long story short, I think when picking tees yardage should be ignored because it is what leads to the whole ego/macho deal, and just slows down everyone.

Take the slope of the longest hole, subtract your index. Play the tee slope close to that number. (Per Frank Thomas).

How do you determine the slope of the longest hole?

I think he meant longest tees. So if the longest yardage tees are the blacks at 7018 yards with a slope of 137 and my index is a 25, then I should play from the tees with a slope of 112 (137-25=112) which would be the whites tees (5814 yd, slope of 118).

Personally, I think the best method is to see how close you are to the green after your GIR shot (i.e. 1st shot on a par 3, 2nd stroke on a par 4, third stroke on a par 5). If you are not consistently within chipping distance or on the green, then you should probably move to a shorter set of tees.