What do you do when a groups skips a hole to get ahead of you

inder

Me and my brother are trying to get in a full 18 in before it gets dark and by the 14th hole we are confident we should finish before its too dark to see our balls. As we tee of on the 14th par 3 the group behind just gets on the green as we hit our balls. We get to the green pretty quickly and finish up and head to the next hole to see that group decided not to play the 14th because it would get too dark. For the next 4 holes we were waiting at every hole while the hole behind us is empty. I was so mad considering they were slower than us, I hit some sad low grounder drives now and again but I will play it from where it lands, one of them took 4 tee shots on the 16th at which point he says "ill just play from where you are".

I don't like to start confrontations but wow I have never been as mad on a course.

On the 17th I hit my drive right by them and they look back, they funny thing was it was completely unintentional and it was about 25 yards further than I normally hit, and on the fairway lol.

Anyways I forgot to mention that they were walking and we had a cart (i normally walk but we couldn't have walked the full 18 before dark).

There was somewhat of a "happy ending" on the 18th we could not see anything and and I joked to my brother that we should finish off and that even if we can't see as long as we hit our drives perfectly straight and drive the cart straight we will find our balls and can continue. We still fight a slice but I was on the green in two (10 foot putt) and he hit over the green surprisingly we did not lose a ball lol and it was my best hole of the day.

And too boot someone stole my ball this same day!

How do you guys handle situations like this, I only started playing last year with par 3 courses and started full length courses this year and have had more issues than ever before.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happened to me a month or so ago. We were playing #7, a par 3. There was a foursome behind us. It was slow all day, a lot of waiting. As we were putting on #7, I see a two-some in a cart pull up onto the #7 tee box cutting off the group behind us. I thought wow, what a couple of jerks. Anyway, as we are playing #8 those same two guys come riding past us and continue down our fairway to hop onto the #9 tee box in front of us. I was fuming. When we got to #9, the group that was originally ahead of us were still teeing off. So now we have to wait for them PLUS these two inconsiderate clowns? Me and my playing partner didn't say anything, but our body language must have spoke volumes. They offered to "let us" tee off first. I'm not a confrontational person, so I just let it go at that. If they weren't so generous, I would have spoken up and said something. Even though my blood was boiling, I probably would have started with a polite, "Hey guys, do you mind if we tee up first?".

I love confrontations and even though this is a game of respect and being a gentleman, if people cut in front of my group, don't yell "fore" and the ball lands about 10 feet from where I'm at, or are yelling and screaming when im putting or teeing off, I say something. I yell and laugh when they're putting to show them how annoying it is. Now if they wave and say sorry, I have no problem with it. But honestly, 95% of people who do these things dont say sorry or wave to apologize and I cant stand there and not do anything about it. Fortunately, a fight has never started, but one of these days, I'm pretty sure someone will say something back and you best believe I'm not gonna back down...lol.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='ionakana511' post='1912742' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:35 AM']I love confrontations and even though this is a game of respect and being a gentleman, if people cut in front of my group, don't yell "fore" and the ball lands about 10 feet from where I'm at, or are yelling and screaming when im putting or teeing off, I say something. I yell and laugh when they're putting to show them how annoying it is. Now if they wave and say sorry, I have no problem with it. But honestly, 95% of people who do these things dont say sorry or wave to apologize and I cant stand there and not do anything about it. Fortunately, a fight has never started, but one of these days, I'm pretty sure someone will say something back and you best believe I'm not gonna back down...lol.[/quote]

Cool your head there 511, you might want to think twice about "[i]loving confrontation[/i]s". I know it burns you up and it would to me too but now a days people are taking [b]guns[/b] to the course. These are the same people that want you to respond so they'll have a reason to pull it. Just take a deep breath or call the marshal and relax. Trust me, its not worth it.

The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.

[quote name='Sandman600' post='1912766' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:48 AM'][quote name='ionakana511' post='1912742' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:35 AM']I love confrontations and even though this is a game of respect and being a gentleman, if people cut in front of my group, don't yell "fore" and the ball lands about 10 feet from where I'm at, or are yelling and screaming when im putting or teeing off, I say something. I yell and laugh when they're putting to show them how annoying it is. Now if they wave and say sorry, I have no problem with it. But honestly, 95% of people who do these things dont say sorry or wave to apologize and I cant stand there and not do anything about it. Fortunately, a fight has never started, but one of these days, I'm pretty sure someone will say something back and you best believe I'm not gonna back down...lol.[/quote]

Cool your head there 511, you might want to think twice about "[i]loving confrontation[/i]s". I know it burns you up and it would to me too but now a days people are taking [b]guns[/b] to the course. These are the same people that want you to respond so they'll have a reason to pull it. Just take a deep breath or call the marshal and relax. Trust me, its not worth it.
[/quote]

Cooler heads do prevail...but if people are taking guns to the course...then maybe courses should have metal detectors in bags and people have to go through them to even play. Its sad that this is what people are doing now cause they feel that they're big and bad with a gun. But in the end, I still have to say something. It's a gentleman's sport, if people are bringing guns to the course, unless they're a cop, then they shouldnt be playing at all.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

Hitting into them is a very bad idea. What happens if you hit someone? You're in a lot of trouble then and for what?

My suggestion would be to take out your phone, call the pro shop and tell them that some bunch of jokers just cut in and are preventing you from completing your round. It's their job to deal with such a situation. If that didn't work, I'd probably make some kind of snide comment like "I hope we're not interrupting your round" or something like that. If that didn't work, then I might take Carl's advice about dealing with Judge Smails.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

OK, so you were in carts, the group behind you was walking

you said that the group behind you was just getting to the green as you were hitting your teeshots

I would imagine that you guys either hit some shots into trouble on that par3 or spent a lot of time reading putts.

I think you should have been able to get to the 15th teebox before them if you were playing quick enough

There's always 2 sides to a story, the guys behind you may have thought you'd slowed down and were going to be the last group to finish in the light, leaving them in the dark on the 18th tee.

if that group behind you was really a slow group, I doubt that they'd be able to walk past you and skip a hole (odd course designs may explain how this is possible though)

[quote name='ABFU' post='1912771' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:55 AM']I can see both sides of this. Plenty of times there is a slow group in front of us and they will never let us play through even though there is noone in front of them. Alot of people don't take the consideration to let a 2 some or even a better 4 some play through thats when I usually pass someone.[/quote]

I hear you, and I agree. I would be embarrassed, rather than angry, if I were passed for this reason. I try and be considerate, but I have been in groups before where I was in the minority as far as wanting to let a single/group behind us pass. Some guys seem really bothered about letting people play through for some reason. I think the most common excuse I hear is, "well, they're a single coming out on a Saturday, what did they expect?". Often enough, I'm that single, though, so I try to do what I'd hope someone would do for me.

In my instance, these guys had jumped from #13 to #7, so they definitely weren't skipping ahead. I'm not sure what they were thinking unless they went to the wrong tee box by mistake.

[quote name='ionakana511' post='1912805' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:12 AM']Cooler heads do prevail...but if people are taking guns to the course...then maybe courses should have metal detectors in bags and people have to go through them to even play.[/quote]
Wonder if they would get many hits running a golf bag through a metal detector?

I rarely have this problem. The only times I've seen it on my home course, is if we are behind another group and we are waiting on them. Sometimes I'll see a single come out of no where and as he passes us, they'll usually say. I'm just going to skip ahead until I find a stretch of empty holes. That's fine with me as people who have the courtsey to tell you what they're doing, won't generally hold you up onec they pass you. At least in my experience.

Now if we are a group of 3 or 4 and we see a single approaching we'll invite him to join (if less than 4) or go on through. Generally they'll say, I'll just jump on the next hole and get out of your way.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='harold baines' post='1912850' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:36 AM']OK, so you were in carts, the group behind you was walking

you said that the group behind you was just getting to the green as you were hitting your teeshots

I would imagine that you guys either hit some shots into trouble on that par3 or spent a lot of time reading putts.

I think you should have been able to get to the 15th teebox before them if you were playing quick enough

There's always 2 sides to a story, the guys behind you may have thought you'd slowed down and were going to be the last group to finish in the light, leaving them in the dark on the 18th tee.

if that group behind you was really a slow group, I doubt that they'd be able to walk past you and skip a hole (odd course designs may explain how this is possible though)[/quote]

On this course the 13th green is side by side with the 15th teebox and the 14th is further away. Also you have to park your cart by the 15th tee as are "no cart" signs as you approach the 14th green. It is a bit of an awkward design. I shot a four, didn't lose a ball and didn't have to look for it either a it was in the green side bunker. One shot out and two putt.

The only hole we took our time reading putts was a long par 5 where we were on the green and the group behind was 300 yards+ away.

I know what you are saying and if that was the case I wouldn't have cared as much but we were playing FAST so we could finish lol.
I also always take my wedge and putter to not slow down.

[quote name='j7r6s' post='1913480' date='Aug 25 2009, 03:16 PM'][quote name='ionakana511' post='1912805' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:12 AM']Cooler heads do prevail...but if people are taking guns to the course...then maybe courses should have metal detectors in bags and people have to go through them to even play.[/quote]
Wonder if they would get many hits running a golf bag through a metal detector?
[/quote]

:cheesy:

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Since I'm usually the guy that is cutting in front of another group, I'd like to point out that:

1) If they are up your buttocks and you are not waiting on a shot all day, you are probably playing too slow. Let them through.

2) When I do cut in front, it's because I see at least an entire hole open where I can get WELL ahead of you and not interrupt your (slow) pace of play.

There are right ways to do it and wrong ways. It sounds like the guys in the OP's post did it the wrong way.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote]Since I'm usually the guy that is cutting in front of another group, I'd like to point out that:

1) If they are up your buttocks and you are not waiting on a shot all day, you are probably playing too slow. Let them through.

2) When I do cut in front, it's because I see at least an entire hole open where I can get WELL ahead of you and not interrupt your (slow) pace of play.

There are right ways to do it and wrong ways. It sounds like the guys in the OP's post did it the wrong way.[/quote]

+1, I've jumped in front of groups as a single twice in the last two weeks. In one case they didn't let me play through, in the other there were three groups backed up. In both cases the group I jumped in front of did not have to wait at all. I was well clear before they got to the tee.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

I jumped from 14 to 17 at my local course last week, because the 17th is essentially a shorter version of the 17th at Sawgrass, and I have lots of fun playing it (plus, the sun was going down). Usually there's no one out there, so I'll hit five or ten balls at that green from the different tees just to see if I could make it, but always play and count the first ball, no matter what happens to it.

Anyhow.

Last week, I skipped, and as I walked up to that tee, there turned out to be two groups behind me that I'd not noticed, because I wasn't paying attention. I told them that I'd skipped, and happily let them play their round while I watched and waited. There was one guy that was kind of a jerk about it (a stern "you need to wait your turn, young man" after I'd told him I'd be happy to step aside), but... meh, life goes on.

In all, I think skipping is okay, so long as you understand that you're the one going out of turn, and yield to anyone who is legitimately on their way to the hole. If someone tries to say they're supposed to play it because they happened to step foot there first, then they're reeeeally wrong.

[quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. [b]I would have[/b] said something or [b]hit into them[/b] while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

I agree and have hit into several groups before - they get the message then.

Handicap:  3

[quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1912813' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:17 AM'][quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

[b]Hitting into them is a very bad idea. What happens if you hit someone? You're in a lot of trouble then and for what?[/b]

My suggestion would be to take out your phone, call the pro shop and tell them that some bunch of jokers just cut in and are preventing you from completing your round. It's their job to deal with such a situation. If that didn't work, I'd probably make some kind of snide comment like "I hope we're not interrupting your round" or something like that. If that didn't work, then I might take Carl's advice about dealing with Judge Smails.
[/quote]

They'd have to prove it was on purpose and that's not going to happen. Sometimes you do have to jack a ball on someone to send a message when common courtesy fails.

[quote name='HoganDude ' post='1916397' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1912813' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:17 AM'][quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

[b]Hitting into them is a very bad idea. What happens if you hit someone? You're in a lot of trouble then and for what?[/b]

[/quote]

They'd have to prove it was on purpose and that's not going to happen. Sometimes you do have to jack a ball on someone to send a message when common courtesy fails.
[/quote]

Much like if someone spills your pint and doesn't apologise, then you have to hit them over the head with your glass to send a message when common courtesy fails? Jeez dude. hitting into someone is not cool. What happens if you hit someone in the temple and they die? You think the cops are going to be like "well, you could see them in the fairway and they were bang on your usual driving distance, but obviously you were just geeing them along a bit, never mind"? I don't. I think they're going to be "do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail for manslaughter". And they'd be right too.

don't hit into people. It's f*****g dangerous. And even if they didn't convict you, you've got your conscience to live with. Or at least I hope you do.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1916546' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:09 PM'][quote name='HoganDude ' post='1916397' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1912813' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:17 AM'][quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Much like if someone spills your pint and doesn't apologise, then you have to hit them over the head with your glass to send a message when common courtesy fails? Jeez dude. hitting into someone is not cool. What happens if you hit someone in the temple and they die? You think the cops are going to be like "well, you could see them in the fairway and they were bang on your usual driving distance, but obviously you were just geeing them along a bit, never mind"? I don't. I think they're going to be "do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail for manslaughter". And they'd be right too.

don't hit into people. It's f*****g dangerous. And even if they didn't convict you, you've got your conscience to live with. Or at least I hope you do.
[/quote]

I understand your side to some extent but I'm not very tolerate when people don't play by the rules. As the saying goes "there's one in every crowd" and I'm unfortunately that guy. It's not right and I'm not boosting about but I only play by rules when others do. You can judge away and to be honest I don't care. Anyway, I'm not going to continue adding to this post to upset others but that's how I act/conduct myself in certain situations.

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Literally the slowest round of my life. Waiting on every shot. At least 2 groups waiting on each par 3. Get to the 9th hole (after over 3 hours ugh!) and we see two guys waiting to tee off. I asked the two guys w/ me if they were the same guys in front of us just to make sure and they said no. They still can't tee off yet since the group ahead is still in the fairway (oddly enough we're keeping pace). So I walk up to them as ask if they're with the group ahead. They say no. I say, ok, we're up next." The guy response with, "we're just going home. we're not even playing 10." I'm like, "that's fine if you're not playing 10, we're up." He says, "it's getting dark we're just trying to finish" Funny, it's getting dark where I'm at too. I am also trying to finish. Been playing a 3+ hour round of 9 and I'm not about to have someone cut in front of me when I'm keeping pace and getting hard to see the ball. Now the stupid thing on my part is this guy is big. I'm tiny - 5'4" w/ shoes. He could probably crush me w/ his pinky lol. But I was just pissed that someone would play ahead on an ungodly slow day w/o asking. I hate getting stuck behind a slow group but I always ask before playing ahead. Usually they just tell me go to ahead. Ok, maybe not usually. Often they don't realize a 4some is slower than a single... but even in that case I never force myself ahead and will not hit into them. Anyway, we were keeping pace and they had not common courtesy to ask. So, the other guy in his group told him to "let us through" (as if they're doing us the favor) and we went ahead.

I can totally understand your frustration. In my case I was right there and could confront them which I did. In your case I think your only recourse is getting a ranger involved but that would likely go nowhere. I think they only thing you could really do is deal w/ it. It sux, but it happens. Just when you thought slow play couldn't get worse a slower group goes in front of you. Man that would kill me too. What I really wish is that slow play was actually monitored by rangers or even better that rangers did something. I don't know if they don't have the authority to do something or the clubs tell them not to...

[quote name='HoganDude ' post='1916397' date='Aug 26 2009, 09:05 PM'][quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1912813' date='Aug 25 2009, 07:17 AM'][quote name='mayboy09' post='1912792' date='Aug 25 2009, 10:04 AM']The only time this should happen is if your holding the group up behind you and there is an open hole in front of you. Some people just will not let others play thru. If you were a twosome and the foursome skipped ahead to make sure they finished is unacceptable. I would have said something or hit into them while they were in the fairway.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
You're a DB. Someone had to say it.

Although if you're trying to teach about "common courtesy", you certainly taught them, in a bass ackwards sort of way.

The people in front of you are thinking "what kind of jackass hits a ball into our group when we're clearly visible?"

As far as cutting in front of other groups, it depends on how busy things are. At my club, there are often singles in carts that just tool around playing open holes. It doesn't affect anyone.

However on a busy weekend morning it would jack the entire course up, and a call to the clubhouse would be in order.

if u are holding the group behind you then what is big deal? they lose playing the hole by jumping. however, if the group in front of you is holding you back which originally it sounded like until all the bs started flying, then they had no business jumping ahead. if u are foursome and they are a twosome should be no problem jumping in front of you.

if all above is not accurate call the pro shop or a ranger but NEVER NEVER HIT INTO SOMEONE. just because u lose ur temper someone could pay dearly for that which then you will say i am sorry didnt mean it but u did.

i would rather u drive up to them and hit them with a 9 iron. at least they will see it coming!!!

more than enough said on the subject. i think you are lucky u are a bad shot and missed them!!!! if that was me i would have shot you on the spot.

[quote name='HoganDude ' post='1916736' date='Aug 26 2009, 11:27 PM']I understand your side to some extent but I'm not very tolerate when people don't play by the rules. As the saying goes "there's one in every crowd" and I'm unfortunately that guy. It's not right and I'm not boosting about but I only play by rules when others do. You can judge away and to be honest I don't care. Anyway, I'm not going to continue adding to this post to upset others but that's how I act/conduct myself in certain situations.[/quote]

Actually, you are boasting about it.

It's never acceptable to hit into another group on purpose. Ever.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I have played hockey, football, baseball, and more recently left a team going to worlds in softball. I left partly because of the attitudes, shaving of bats, and the general drama that happens when you get a bunch of has beens or never were's on the same field with egos the size of Texas. I started playing golf again because of the atmosphere, the challenge, and overall the general feeling of brotherhood that goes on here in the area where I play. I dont understand how anyone in their right mind could hit into a group on purpose risking injury. I think the easier thing to do would be to either call the clubhouse or better yet, ask the group to play through. I have asked to play through plenty of times, and have yet to have someone say "no".

Never hit into a group ... and why start a fight over a game when there is more than one alternative to solving the problem at hand. Any situation PERIOD on the course could be handled well. I thought this was a gentlemen's sport?