Newbie in my first tourney

From my experience, when one is in a good group, this is common practice:

Players comment on scores of fellow competitors if the score is par or better...."nice par"...."great 3"...."good birdie"..."helleva 4 there"...etc.....if the player had a different score than the comment(s) he should correct that on the spot.

Now if a player makes makes a bogie or worse [b]he[/b] should say out loud to the other players - no matter how painful - the score he made on the hole.
("I made 6 there," etc.) Get it out of your system on that green - before you move to the next tee. In other words, you shouldn't have to ask. I can't stand it when players give you a look for asking. Man up and say what score you made.

This way all competitors will know the order of play on the next tee as well.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players comment on scores of fellow competitors if the score is par or better...."nice par"...."great 3"...."good birdie"..."helleva 4 there"...etc.....if the player had a different score than the comment(s) he should correct that on the spot.

Now if a player makes makes a bogie or worse he should say out loud to the other players - no matter how painful - the score he made on the hole.

("I made 6 there," etc.) Get it out of your system on that green - before you move to the next tee. In other words, you shouldn't have to ask. I can't stand it when players give you a look for asking. Man up and say what score you made.

Very good post Mark! drinks.gif

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='29 January 2010 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1264781416' post='2211926']
[quote name='Tmiller72' date='28 January 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1264739997' post='2211334']
It would be really annoying to have someone announce my score 18 times during a round. If you have no idea what the player you're keeping score for made on a hole, then go ahead and ask. It's pretty easy to keep up with someone else's score. I've been playing tournaments for a long time and I can't remember anybody announcing the score after each hole. There's nothing worse than getting on your playing partner's nerves.
[/quote]

Seriously? I never put a score down without confirmation from the player.

Kevin
[/quote]

Really? I rarely ask what the guy got, I just count them up, and it's pretty obvious when he's made birdie, par or bogey to me. I also watch everything around me instead of thinking of myself so it's easier for me to remember what they got (for example after a tournament round I could go out a put a little pin within 5-6ft of every shot everyone in my group took during the round).

Only ever ask if I missed something or am unsure, and only ever announce my own score if the guy keeping mine asks me.

Generally the starter will either ask you to switch with a player, or just say for everyone to pass their cards to the right. I keep the player's score on the top part of the scoring boxes and keep my own on the very bottom row to mark scores.

[quote name='mark m' date='31 January 2010 - 03:39 AM' timestamp='1264905550' post='2215637']

Now if a player makes makes a bogie or worse [b]he[/b] should say out loud to the other players - no matter how painful - the score he made on the hole.

[/quote]

We play a lot of tournament golf at clubs in Central Europe, and the most people do it exactly like that.
However, last year it happened to me for the first time in about 50 or so club competitions I have played, that, at the end of the round, my marker had wrong numbers for my score on a total of at least three holes. That was although I had announced my score aloud after each hole, and she had never said a word about having counted differently. It is a lot easier to get things clear right after playing a hole than it is on the clubhouse terrace. Both player and marker can then go through the hole shot by shot and usually get the same result after that. But just not reacting to my announcements and then claiming different scores on three or more holes after the round was the most annoying thing I ever encountered.
Luckily, both other players in the group had (inofficially) kept score for all four of us in the entire round and confirmed to my marker that my numbers were correct. It really drove me angry to be virtually accused of cheating by somebody who obviously was not able to count or to pay attention or to listen properly, as I am very anal about the rules and about etiquette.
Finally, even if it is your first tournament, be clear to yourself about how you want to react if the player whose scores you have to keep or if your marker is an obnoxious person. Be prepared that it can happen and react according to your own character.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

It would be really annoying to have someone announce my score 18 times during a round. If you have no idea what the player you're keeping score for made on a hole, then go ahead and ask. It's pretty easy to keep up with someone else's score. I've been playing tournaments for a long time and I can't remember anybody announcing the score after each hole. There's nothing worse than getting on your playing partner's nerves.

Seriously? I never put a score down without confirmation from the player.

Kevin

Really? I rarely ask what the guy got, I just count them up, and it's pretty obvious when he's made birdie, par or bogey to me. I also watch everything around me instead of thinking of myself so it's easier for me to remember what they got (for example after a tournament round I could go out a put a little pin within 5-6ft of every shot everyone in my group took during the round).

Only ever ask if I missed something or am unsure, and only ever announce my own score if the guy keeping mine asks me.

Generally the starter will either ask you to switch with a player, or just say for everyone to pass their cards to the right. I keep the player's score on the top part of the scoring boxes and keep my own on the very bottom row to mark scores.

How do you know whether or not you missed something? laugh.gif

Reminds me of a famous Ben Hogan Story:

Claude Harmon was the first to make an ace on the 12th in Masters Tournament play.

But his playing partner, Ben Hogan, didn't seem to notice the unusual feat. The stoic Hogan had made a birdie of his own at No. 12.

According to Don Wade's book, Talking On Tour, the exchange went like this:

Hogan: "You know Claude, I can't remember the last time I made a two there. What did you make?"

Harmon: "Why, Ben, I made an ace."

Hogan: "Oh, well, that's great, Claude."

You guys that don't want to discuss scores after each hole, thats fine, but, one of these days its going to bite you on the a**.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

This thread still keeps eating at me. For the life of me, I can't understand why it isn't universally appealing to everyone to simply state your score to your marker at the end of each hole so potential differences can be immediately worked out.

Who gains a benefit from the odd practice of silently pretending/hoping that everyone has seen and counted the same thing. Sounds like macho b.s. to me, but I'm sincerely open to thinking about it differently if anyone has a logical argument as to why silence is preferable.

Like Kevin implied in his first line above, misunderstandings don't come up when you aren't sure of a score, they come up when you think you're sure and you're not.

I've played about 1000 tournaments over the years and it's just a non-issue. Sometimes my marker will confirm what he thinks I scored, sometimes I'll announce it first (especially if it wasn't obvious), other times nothing is said. It's pretty casual and works smoothly.

Occasionally there might be a discrepancy at the end, but without fail it has always been sorted out with a quick recap of the hole, especially with the aid of other fellow competitors.

In our zeal to beat to death the "ask for score issue," there is one key part of scoring that (I think) was missed. You want to be make sure the scorecard that you marked and signed is turned in as you left it. IOW, you don't give the signed scorecard to your fellow competitor and then head for the parking lot. Part of your responsibility in protecting the field is to ensure that a correct scorecard gets turned in. You don't have to be a dick about it, but just make sure that the attesting of the card is done at the scoring table (or near the officials) and that the card gets turned in from there.

[quote name='jontyc' date='01 February 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1265024520' post='2218572']
[quote name='Newby' date='29 January 2010 - 03:39 AM' timestamp='1264754364' post='2211543']
None of them are 'Partners'. That term is used for the player on your side in matchplay.
[/quote]

No limitation to match play. 4B stroke play formats are very common format and have partners.
[/quote]

Quite correct of course :cry: My mind was fixed on singles play.

• 2 weeks later...

When playing tournamnet golf I announce my score after I hole out on every hole. When reaching in the cup for my ball I just say "That's a 4" or "That's a G-D 8"..... along those lines. That's an easy and not too akward way for me to do it. I hate having to ask my playing partner what he made on the last hole, especially if I know it was a high #. However, I'm not gonna keep track of his score during the hole, unless it's obvious like a sweet birdie or ho-hum down the middle par. After getting DQ'd in a high school tourney for signing an incorrect card I learned my lesson.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

I have only played 2-3 legit golf tournaments where we exchanged score cards, so I am no pro at it by anymeans. However, Each time I always asked what they got, on a few par 3's it was quite obvious what they have, but I would still confirmed, if they got birdie I would say
"2,right?" if they confirmed, I would add "Nice 2, or "nice birdie"

I would much rather ask after every hole, and know I got their score right, rather than at the turn, or at 18, be off on their score.