Tour Striker

filthee

Hi Martin,
This thing sounds too awesome. Ill be placing an order ASAP. Three questions:

1. I dont want my order to be delayed by selecting the lie adjustment, so is it safe to have the club bent -1* at a local shop after I receive it, since its a cast club?
2. Im a high HC, my striking is not very good, an my swing speed is about 85. Would you still say the Pro would be for me? I dont mind doing whatever it takes to get better, even if that means a ton of frustration.
3. I notice that the Pro is 1" longer than the regular model. Any reason for this? Standard is usually a bit long for me (I choke up a bit), so 1" above might be way too long.

Thanks

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RJRJRJ' date='05 June 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1275772758' post='2488384']
Hi Martin,

1. I dont want my order to be delayed by selecting the lie adjustment, so is it safe to have the club bent -1* at a local shop after I receive it, since its a cast club?
2. Im a high HC, my striking is not very good, an my swing speed is about 85. Would you still say the Pro would be for me? I dont mind doing whatever it takes to get better, even if that means a ton of frustration.
3. I notice that the Pro is 1" longer than the regular model. Any reason for this? Standard is usually a bit long for me (I choke up a bit), so 1" above might be way too long.

Thanks
[/quote]

RJ, I ordered it custom with 2*up and 1/2 over and I received it in only 4 days, so I dont think it will be a delay for custom orders. I got mine today and will be trying it tomorrow.

[quote name='RJRJRJ' date='05 June 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1275772758' post='2488384']
Hi Martin,

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi JR, you might want to get the wedge. It is harder to hit than the regular TS. Most people "feel" like they can hit a sand wedge. In reality, the cant and don't present the club to the ball properly. The loft masks the issue. I think you would be fine with the TS Pro as well. Order whatever length best suits you. The Pro is 37" but you won't find it unwieldy.

Thanks!

[quote name='jacksonlui' date='05 June 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1275790083' post='2488807']
what shaft comes in the pro X?
feels very soft. i don't know why i hit the proX better than my own irons.
i also like the way it sets up, i might even consider playing a complete set of these irons.
[/quote]

The retail version would be the KBS 90. Great feeling shaft. I'm amazed how many people love this shaft! It's really soft feeling for the stiffness.

My buddy told me today about the TS Pro. He's an 8 and I'm a 10.8. I figure I will order the ProX because my bad tendencies are to hit the ball closer a little bit close to the heel rather than smack dab in the middle. Hopefully this will help force me to hit more accurately in the center.

Martin- I've been following your videos on Youtube for a few years now and love your teaching. I was amazed to only hear of your product from a buddy now. It's even easier for me to buy it knowing you're already a great teacher and came out with a helpful product.

Thanks again and can't wait to get it.

e

Played tournament today, and oh man I suffered as I have used the TS pro a lot in the last week, but when I am on the course without the TS I lose the feeling totally and my ball contact is getting extreme bad as I am mixing my old and new swing. But that is allright, as to make such a huge swing change takes time.

But do you have any drill for using youre body more than hands/arms as I tend to, especially on shots I have to hit far, that I hit more with my hands/arms than rotate. Also my takeaway is extreme with hands and nearly none hip turn so all in all gets very "handsy"

[quote name='erwintrace08' date='06 June 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1275807815' post='2489153']
My buddy told me today about the TS Pro. He's an 8 and I'm a 10.8. I figure I will order the ProX because my bad tendencies are to hit the ball closer a little bit close to the heel rather than smack dab in the middle. Hopefully this will help force me to hit more accurately in the center.

Martin- I've been following your videos on Youtube for a few years now and love your teaching. I was amazed to only hear of your product from a buddy now. It's even easier for me to buy it knowing you're already a great teacher and came out with a helpful product.

Thanks again and can't wait to get it.

e
[/quote]

e,

Thanks for the nice comments. If you love what you do, people notice. Helping people play this darn game better is fun, frustrating, exhilarating, etc... I love it when a person has the "a-ha" moment. I wish I could tell you I get them all to that point. I don't and it drives me nuts and makes me try and figure out my communication and presentation style more and more.

The TS has been fun. It definitely makes people think and adapt, so learning takes place.

[quote name='rossonero' date='06 June 2010 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1275832918' post='2489360']
Played tournament today, and oh man I suffered as I have used the TS pro a lot in the last week, but when I am on the course without the TS I lose the feeling totally and my ball contact is getting extreme bad as I am mixing my old and new swing. But that is allright, as to make such a huge swing change takes time.

But do you have any drill for using youre body more than hands/arms as I tend to, especially on shots I have to hit far, that I hit more with my hands/arms than rotate. Also my takeaway is extreme with hands and nearly none hip turn so all in all gets very "handsy"

[/quote]

Rossonero, it takes time my friend...a feel you groove on the range will make it to the course, but when it's in the early stages the Devil is still on your shoulder and second guessing and mistrust creep in. If you like your results on the range, you have to commit to the feel on the course. Ask yourself questions...what is my body doing to make the TS work? Ideally, your learning will be your own. That's the best kind.

I'll have some more Youtube videos posted soon and I'll address this issue for you.

Cheers and keep your chin up.

Martin

I ordered the 7 iron pro on Friday and got it today! Wow that was fast...and I live in Virginia Beach. I look forward to getting out to the range. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow depending on how work goes.

I'm all about the lag and impact position right now. I got the PBS a few weeks ago and I think its really helped me. Hopefully the tour striker will take it further. I've also just started reading The Impact Zone. I don't post much but I advance search the hell out of this forum and everything I'm doing to improve has come from suggestions, reviews and tips from this forum...so thank you all

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='05 June 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1275799996' post='2489069']
Hi Martin,

Thanks
[/quote]

Hi JR, you might want to get the wedge. It is harder to hit than the regular TS. Most people "feel" like they can hit a sand wedge. In reality, the cant and don't present the club to the ball properly. The loft masks the issue. I think you would be fine with the TS Pro as well. Order whatever length best suits you. The Pro is 37" but you won't find it unwieldy.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Well I placed my order last night for a pro, -1* lie, and got a shipping confirmation today! I would have gotten the length changed too but shipping/tax/customization started driving the price into uncomfortable territory. Nevertheless, that is some very fast service. Im excited to try it out since the whole hitting down on the ball concept has always been insanely hard for me to get down.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Well I broke down and ordered the TS Pro last Wednesday and got it today. Thats some pretty fast shipping from California to Indiana! Anyways I headed out to the range today. I thought I was a decent ball striker, but man was I horribly wrong! I maybe hit 2 in a row good, but otherwise I was struggling. This is definitely a good struggle and something that I will need to work on a bit more. After hitting a few with the TS Pro I went back to my normal 7 iron and hit a few with it. I have always struggled with getting too steep and still do so I was hitting it okay, but not exactly smoking it. I can definitely tell this thing is going to take some getting used to, BUT it is going to be a blast when I finally do get the hang of it. Definitely a thumbs up from me. good.gif

Just got mine yesterday and took it out to the range last night. I seemed to have been hooking them pretty good as opposed to my irons and they weren't going as far. I must not be hitting it to it's full potential as I couldn't get it up as high as my normal 7 which in turn was losing me distance. It was only the fist session though so Im sure it's my swing and not the club lol :rolleyes:

I ordered the 7 iron pro on Friday and got it today! Wow that was fast...and I live in Virginia Beach. I look forward to getting out to the range. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow depending on how work goes.

I'm all about the lag and impact position right now. I got the PBS a few weeks ago and I think its really helped me. Hopefully the tour striker will take it further. I've also just started reading The Impact Zone. I don't post much but I advance search the hell out of this forum and everything I'm doing to improve has come from suggestions, reviews and tips from this forum...so thank you all

Good luck! Remember, lag is something you can "aim", not something you can "hold."

Hi Martin,

Thanks

Thanks!

Well I placed my order last night for a pro, -1* lie, and got a shipping confirmation today! I would have gotten the length changed too but shipping/tax/customization started driving the price into uncomfortable territory. Nevertheless, that is some very fast service. Im excited to try it out since the whole hitting down on the ball concept has always been insanely hard for me to get down.

I'm interested in hearing about the "feel" you need to make the tool work? A lot of people have had to modify their grip a tiny bid. Cheers.

Well I broke down and ordered the TS Pro last Wednesday and got it today. Thats some pretty fast shipping from California to Indiana! Anyways I headed out to the range today. I thought I was a decent ball striker, but man was I horribly wrong! I maybe hit 2 in a row good, but otherwise I was struggling. This is definitely a good struggle and something that I will need to work on a bit more. After hitting a few with the TS Pro I went back to my normal 7 iron and hit a few with it. I have always struggled with getting too steep and still do so I was hitting it okay, but not exactly smoking it. I can definitely tell this thing is going to take some getting used to, BUT it is going to be a blast when I finally do get the hang of it. Definitely a thumbs up from me. good.gif

Thanks, you'll get it. Just keep thinking about it and using it. Your body will adapt and the crossover to your gear isn't very painful.

I just saw the infomercial with Gary McCord. Very cool. I hope you are doing great with it Martin. It's a wonderful tool and you deserve MASSIVE success with it!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! It's been fun so far.

Just got mine yesterday and took it out to the range last night. I seemed to have been hooking them pretty good as opposed to my irons and they weren't going as far. I must not be hitting it to it's full potential as I couldn't get it up as high as my normal 7 which in turn was losing me distance. It was only the fist session though so Im sure it's my swing and not the club lol :rolleyes:

Hmmm, interesting. I have some thoughts, but I'd like you to keep practicing for a bit before I chime in...

a friend of mine and i are interested in the TS, and were discussing it today.

we understand the principle of having correct shaft lean and "down" for proper ball contact ("impact hands"?), but we don't understand how this product is going to get the user to swing the club correctly as it seems like there can be more than one reason for improper impact.

might be analogous to the whippy tempomaster irons, which require smooth acceleration (and proper impact position) to hit well, but knowing this does not translate the skill to do it.

comments?

[quote name='tm3' date='08 June 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1276049030' post='2496459']
a friend of mine and i are interested in the TS, and were discussing it today.

we understand the principle of having correct shaft lean and "down" for proper ball contact ("impact hands"?), but we don't understand how this product is going to get the user to swing the club correctly as it seems like there can be more than one reason for improper impact.

might be analogous to the whippy tempomaster irons, which require smooth acceleration (and proper impact position) to hit well, but knowing this does not translate the skill to do it.

comments?
[/quote]

Hi Tm3,

Good question. The TS isn't for everyone. Some people, generally better players, don't need the TS "thought" of lean and they use the club the way it was designed.

Most golfers play their entire career picking or scooping the ball, afraid of tight lies or wet sod, etc. They "pick" it out of fairway bunkers. They don't have the right "intent." These types (most golfers) feel better when the ball is on a tee or perched on the semi-rough.

Why does the TS help? [b]Ball speed.[/b] If you learn to use the tool properly, you aren't decelerating [u][b]AND[/b][/u] you strike the ball with about 6-8 degrees less loft than what's marked on the club. The less loft, the less deflection and you have instantly increased your distance. Sure, you need loft for elevation, but elevation over distance is a factor of speed.

Deflection reduces ball speed. Higher lofts reduce ball speed. Flipping (not necessarily picking) reduces ball speed.

The TS helps. I actually thought of making a TS with a "Tempo Master" style shaft, but it's too different from our regular clubs.

Cheers,

MC

Got mine in the mail a couple days ago, i bought the Pro version for a challenge and I also read its near impossible to "cheat"..... i am making fair contact on 2/3 of my shots but i am only striking the ball with the bottom two or three score lines. is that where it should be?... is there a way to accidently "cheat" with the pro version, i have been hitting off a lie board as directed for more of a challenge.

Hi,

Got my Tour Striker Pro last week, very fast delivery to the UK, so very pleased with that!

So far I've had 2 range sessions with the striker, at first it was daunting trying to hit the club as it looks quite intimidating at address but I believe this club has really helped me and I'll elaborate a little on why:

First off the DVD that comes with the club is excellent, a lot of what is explained is familiar to me from hogans book and discussions on tgm on these boards but it is explained very well with plenty of examples and nice visual references. I really got a lot from this and subsequently have begun to understand and use the PBS properly.

I haven't played since September and my game was a little rusty in the last few weeks, hitting a lot of hooks and poor wedge shots. With what I learned from the DVD in mind I took to the range last night determined to hit the Tour Striker properly and through some slight changes in my grip (as a direct result of the DVD segment) and alignment I started to hit the club well.

In summary, my swing had become quick and some really bad set-up had crept into it and with the tour striker I was able to consciously change things like grip and stance and get immediate feedback on what works to hit the ball better. This also transferred well into my wedge shots, so that alone was worth the money!

Great product!

I just wanted to say thanks again Martin for this tool (TSP). Since getting it I have learned that for me and my swing I have to have really soft hands or loose hands (maybe it's the wrists) I have also changed my shafts back to heavier r400's realizing that is what my swing needs for the feel I like. Between the new shafts and getting the tour striker pro the last three games I have dropped 5 strokes. My iron play was the missing link and looks like the TSP has helped with my troubles. Great tool. THanks again.
Oh, hit my 4 iron off the turf on my nemsis hole at the local club yesterday after duffing my driver (1 bad drive of the day). The shot looked like a pitching wedge it went so high... cleared some trees and finished right at 200 yards straight down at my aiming point. Next shot was 4 iron into strong wind and I punched it 185 onto the green. after the nine holes I looked at the card , I shot a 42 when Ive only been able to scratch out 47 on a good day on this course. Won my match and stroke!

[quote name='lauderdalehacker' date='09 June 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1276148842' post='2500107']
Got mine in the mail a couple days ago, i bought the Pro version for a challenge and I also read its near impossible to "cheat"..... i am making fair contact on 2/3 of my shots but i am only striking the ball with the bottom two or three score lines. is that where it should be?... is there a way to accidently "cheat" with the pro version, i have been hitting off a lie board as directed for more of a challenge.
[/quote]

Hi Lauderdale, keep in mind, this is a training club and you need to get some time in with it. Most well struck shots will be hit barely about the radius. If you get some radius on the ball, you'll know because you've just flown your target by 20+ yards. This is okay too. You are training in feels that are personal. Like I've said before, some of my sessions are better than others (few lately) but it is a constant reminder of certain feels I need to make the tool work. Thanks for your support!

[quote name='taggartboy' date='10 June 2010 - 02:29 AM' timestamp='1276162147' post='2500174']
Hi,

Got my Tour Striker Pro last week, very fast delivery to the UK, so very pleased with that!

So far I've had 2 range sessions with the striker, at first it was daunting trying to hit the club as it looks quite intimidating at address but I believe this club has really helped me and I'll elaborate a little on why:

First off the DVD that comes with the club is excellent, a lot of what is explained is familiar to me from hogans book and discussions on tgm on these boards but it is explained very well with plenty of examples and nice visual references. I really got a lot from this and subsequently have begun to understand and use the PBS properly.

I haven't played since September and my game was a little rusty in the last few weeks, hitting a lot of hooks and poor wedge shots. With what I learned from the DVD in mind I took to the range last night determined to hit the Tour Striker properly and through some slight changes in my grip (as a direct result of the DVD segment) and alignment I started to hit the club well.

In summary, my swing had become quick and some really bad set-up had crept into it and with the tour striker I was able to consciously change things like grip and stance and get immediate feedback on what works to hit the ball better. This also transferred well into my wedge shots, so that alone was worth the money!

Great product!
[/quote]

Taggartboy, sincere thanks for the note and the support. Keep us posted. I'm glad you like the DVD.

[quote name='erwintrace08' date='10 June 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1276185739' post='2500656']
My TS Pro X is on the way. I'm going to have a steep learning curve, but it should help me hit better quality of shots. Anyone else here get the X?
[/quote]

I go between the TSX and the wedge, personally. Thanks and I hope you like it!!

[quote name='2fromthecup' date='10 June 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1276189602' post='2500811']
I just wanted to say thanks again Martin for this tool (TSP). Since getting it I have learned that for me and my swing I have to have really soft hands or loose hands (maybe it's the wrists) I have also changed my shafts back to heavier r400's realizing that is what my swing needs for the feel I like. Between the new shafts and getting the tour striker pro the last three games I have dropped 5 strokes. My iron play was the missing link and looks like the TSP has helped with my troubles. Great tool. THanks again.
Oh, hit my 4 iron off the turf on my nemsis hole at the local club yesterday after duffing my driver (1 bad drive of the day). The shot looked like a pitching wedge it went so high... cleared some trees and finished right at 200 yards straight down at my aiming point. Next shot was 4 iron into strong wind and I punched it 185 onto the green. after the nine holes I looked at the card , I shot a 42 when Ive only been able to scratch out 47 on a good day on this course. Won my match and stroke!
[/quote]

Great story. That's awesome, way to go.

I first saw the TV spot for the TourStriker on Golf Channel a week or so ago and was somewhat skeptical at first. Now that I have seen that many WRXers have bought the club and are having good results I may end up purchasing the pro model. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also, anyone have a tourstiker pro they want to sell? :D I know wrong forum

I tried the pro today at the range for the first time. First off, its a very strange experience. Its tough to hit. I probably didnt get more than 2 shots in the air in a row, but I can definitely tell that ill get used to it after a few range sessions. Same experience as everyone else btw...after I switched to my regular 7i (Ping rapture) it looked like a brick (which apparently it already does to a lot of other people)... It was a new sense of confidence. The face was so big it felt like I couldnt miss...kind of like after you practice your putts on the tiny hole and then go back to the regular one. Im already somewhat self conscious at the range, and I really felt pretty stupid with so many bad shots with this club, but just knowing how much its gonna help my game was a good motivator.

Thanks Martin, this really is a good product.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='gmbtempe' date='11 June 2010 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1276298297' post='2503765']
Nice video Martin.

What are your thoughts of using a lagging clubhead takeaway with float loading to maximize clubehead lag pressure?

ha ha, got to it around minute 23....
[/quote]

Thanks, I knew a TGM enthusiast like you would like it;)

[quote name='shawzie' date='11 June 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1276310738' post='2504130']
Hey,really wanted to get one of these,do you have a Canadian distributor as $30 for shipping is a little steep for one club.Also do you not take PayPal?Read alot of great things about the club and I am itching to get one.Thanks.
[/quote]

Being a transplant Canuck myself, I'm embarrassed I don't have a distributor up there yet. It is pretty close. We have an agreement with Golftown in the works. Agreed, the extra shipping sucks!

[quote name='RJRJRJ' date='11 June 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1276324001' post='2504385']
I tried the pro today at the range for the first time. First off, its a very strange experience. Its tough to hit. I probably didnt get more than 2 shots in the air in a row, but I can definitely tell that ill get used to it after a few range sessions. Same experience as everyone else btw...after I switched to my regular 7i (Ping rapture) it looked like a brick (which apparently it already does to a lot of other people)... It was a new sense of confidence. The face was so big it felt like I couldnt miss...kind of like after you practice your putts on the tiny hole and then go back to the regular one. Im already somewhat self conscious at the range, and I really felt pretty stupid with so many bad shots with this club, but just knowing how much its gonna help my game was a good motivator.

Thanks Martin, this really is a good product.
[/quote]

Thanks RJ. I'm afraid like a lot of training aids, folks think buying one is a "magic bullet." As you realized, it will require some time and effort. It is nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Chuck,

I'm thinking of getting a TS of some sort. I'm currently about a 35 index. I'm taking lessons and things are getting better. Which version should I get to start? I can only get a single club at the moment. I do plan to talk to the pro I work with to get his thoughts on the TS in general. He's been working on my swing for awhile now and knows what I'm doing in it alot better then I do.

Another part of the puzzle would be the shaft. I currently play Rifle 5.5, which are considered stiff, but everyone tells me I should be an R flex. I've gone to a few demo/fitting days and I found something odd. A r flex didn't work any better for me, the only change was I missed to the right more. However when I tried the stiff versions of the demo clubs, I definately couldn't hit them as high/well as my current set.

Looking forward to placing an order to begin the 'frustration' of hitting grounders partytime2.gif

Chuck,

I'm thinking of getting a TS of some sort. I'm currently about a 35 index. I'm taking lessons and things are getting better. Which version should I get to start? I can only get a single club at the moment. I do plan to talk to the pro I work with to get his thoughts on the TS in general. He's been working on my swing for awhile now and knows what I'm doing in it alot better then I do.

Another part of the puzzle would be the shaft. I currently play Rifle 5.5, which are considered stiff, but everyone tells me I should be an R flex. I've gone to a few demo/fitting days and I found something odd. A r flex didn't work any better for me, the only change was I missed to the right more. However when I tried the stiff versions of the demo clubs, I definately couldn't hit them as high/well as my current set.

Looking forward to placing an order to begin the 'frustration' of hitting grounders partytime2.gif

Bort, thanks for the interest. You'd do well to start off with the TS 56 in our stock wedge shaft. Cheers and good luck with your game!

Martin