Tour Striker

filthee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='02bluesuperroo' date='11 July 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1278895519' post='2569338']
Myself and others would still like to hear a reason to buy the TS Wedge if we already have the TS Pro 7i/5i...
[/quote]

Hello Blue,

The wedge can help those who have trouble with less than full shots. Some folks have NO problem pitching the ball (shots from 10 - 80 yards) while a lot of people don't know what to do, or not do, with their hands and pivot. These folks hate tight lies on less than full swings.

They are great candidates for the TS 56

Some folks have GREAT impact alignments on short shots (9 to 3 drill) but loose awareness on full shots and over accelerate on full swings.

These folks would do better with a TS or TSP.

Hope that helps,

MC

I haven't even played golf in probably ten years and was never any good then. I've been on this forum a good bit reading through the threads trying to pick up some things and also looking for equipment suggestions. I had already realized my approach to hitting irons was incorrect in my former days after seeing threads about hitting down on the ball and also from watching some videos. I just went to the Tour Striker web page and looked at the club. Simply by looking at how it is made, it clearly illustrates how I should be attempting to hit the ball with irons.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='12 July 2010 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1278946014' post='2570307']
[quote name='02bluesuperroo' date='11 July 2010 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1278895519' post='2569338']
Myself and others would still like to hear a reason to buy the TS Wedge if we already have the TS Pro 7i/5i...
[/quote]

Hello Blue,

The wedge can help those who have trouble with less than full shots. Some folks have NO problem pitching the ball (shots from 10 - 80 yards) while a lot of people don't know what to do, or not do, with their hands and pivot. These folks hate tight lies on less than full swings.

Some folks have GREAT impact alignments on short shots (9 to 3 drill) but loose awareness on full shots and over accelerate on full swings.

Hope that helps,

MC

[/quote]

Thanks MC, that does help.

I have always had better shaft lean with the short irons (up to about 7-iron), especially on chips/pitches, but as shots get fuller and irons get longer, I had more trouble. At a 10-14 handicap, I am thinking the regular TP would be a good choice for me - right? I am 48 and have played as a sweeper/flipper for a large number of years and this will surely improve my game, but may take some time...

My driver was alot better today. I hit draws or fades, no pulls, pushes, or slices. I'm still not all there yet though. A number of my tee shots were very high, like a popup, but went 170 - 179 yards. My more solid draws were 231 and 212 respectively. I was just swinging it and trying to hold my lag as long as I could.

I'm real excited about my irons though. I hit a very solid PW 120 yards, that was my 100 yard club a few weeks ago... I have gained at least 10 yards on just mishits, and solid shots are 20 - 25 yards longer then before.

One odd thing happened though. I chipped with my GW and instead of rolling out as expected it took some weird hops and stopped well short. I was like what the hell was that!? And the guys with me were "you put backspin on it'. Never seen that before but I dunno if it's a TS artifact of better impact or if I did something wrong with my chip.

Very happy with my TS wedge!

[quote name='GolfinVan' date='12 July 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1278964048' post='2571012']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='12 July 2010 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1278946014' post='2570307']
[/quote]

Hello Blue,

Hope that helps,

MC

[/quote]

Thanks MC, that does help.

I have always had better shaft lean with the short irons (up to about 7-iron), especially on chips/pitches, but as shots get fuller and irons get longer, I had more trouble. At a 10-14 handicap, I am thinking the regular TP would be a good choice for me - right? I am 48 and have played as a sweeper/flipper for a large number of years and this will surely improve my game, but may take some time...
[/quote]

Sounds to me like you have a bit of a club face issue as well. With more loft, you can get away with it, but longer clubs require some hand save. While the TS Pro is hard, I'd like you to start there... you are on the cusp of handling it and with any effort you'll figure it out.

[quote name='bortass' date='12 July 2010 - 06:57 PM' timestamp='1278986273' post='2571938']
My driver was alot better today. I hit draws or fades, no pulls, pushes, or slices. I'm still not all there yet though. A number of my tee shots were very high, like a popup, but went 170 - 179 yards. My more solid draws were 231 and 212 respectively. I was just swinging it and trying to hold my lag as long as I could.

I'm real excited about my irons though. I hit a very solid PW 120 yards, that was my 100 yard club a few weeks ago... I have gained at least 10 yards on just mishits, and solid shots are 20 - 25 yards longer then before.

One odd thing happened though. I chipped with my GW and instead of rolling out as expected it took some weird hops and stopped well short. I was like what the hell was that!? And the guys with me were "you put backspin on it'. Never seen that before but I dunno if it's a TS artifact of better impact or if I did something wrong with my chip.

Very happy with my TS wedge!
[/quote]

Wow...spin!

It's cool when you want it, and not so cool when you don't:) You'll start to figure out what action engages the grooves more than others. Glad your driver was better. Keep shallowing out and you'll get rid of the pop ups.

Cheers,

Martin

I got the TSPro and the TSProX, and I'm having a ball with them. All of my golf buddies want to borrow them, and I've never heard more laughs on the range than when someone is hitting this club. Good times.

The club does as advertised. I play pretty good golf, but my typical iron shot is picked. This is why these clubs appealled to me.
The club forces me to focus on better fundamentals, and better contact/compression.

Thanks Martin!

[quote name='kudzuking' date='13 July 2010 - 07:05 AM' timestamp='1279029953' post='2572761']
I got the TSPro and the TSProX, and I'm having a ball with them. All of my golf buddies want to borrow them, and I've never heard more laughs on the range than when someone is hitting this club. Good times.

The club does as advertised. I play pretty good golf, but my typical iron shot is picked. This is why these clubs appealled to me.
The club forces me to focus on better fundamentals, and better contact/compression.

Thanks Martin!

[/quote]

Coming from you, Pro, that's a big compliment. I appreciate it and I'll see you at the Club Pro next year.

[quote name='banshee' date='14 July 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1279093584' post='2574857']
Hey Martin,

Still can't buy the ts pro in reg flex steel shaft. Are you getting any in soon?
[/quote]

I'm sorry! We won't have the TSP in regular steel for another 45 days. I didn't think it would be that popular and I was wrong. If you want the TSP in regular graphite, we'll give that to you for the same price.Call 541 390 7324 if you want one.

Cheers,

MC

Will this help with driving and fairway woods? I've improved in iron and wedge play because I figured out the hands forward thing, but for the life of me, I may hit my woods well maybe 1/3 of the time on 18 holes. It puts much more stress on the rest of the game. Thanks!

Tom

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Years ago, the firs thing I noticed after I started to think about golf seriously was the good old "hit it down to send the ball up". Since it was the first thing I tried hard to master, I have no problem hitting the ball down with my hands forward.

But the problem is, I'm hitting my driver down also and my tee shot has been my weakest link!

Tour Striker users, how do you handle driver? Do you hit down?
Oh yes I am supposed to tilt a little bit more backward so that I can change the path of the club head, but my basic instint of "hitting it down" always dominates.

SP

I have the same issue, Speedy. It's probably not the right thing to do but I have just flattened out my backswing a ton so that I make sure I come back into the ball at a shallow angle. When I make a poor swing, it's because I didn't swing from the inside/transfer my weight properly and I'll pop one up.

Cmartingolf- Thanks for the sweet product. I took it to the range yesterday after playing a horrible round in 20-30+mph winds on Monday. I would hit 5 shots with the TSP and then trade and hit with my irons. I noticed at least a ten yard gain in all irons... I need to make this hands ahead feeling permanent! An odd thing I noticed is that I must not be getting my hands as far forward with my clubs as I do with the TSP... I was hitting the TSP around 165-170 but my 7 to 150-155. Crazy. I'll continue working to make sure I'm getting my hands ahead at impact and making ball first contact.

Thanks again for the TSP... it's a great product!

[quote name='SpeedyPro' date='14 July 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1279119216' post='2575247']
Years ago, the firs thing I noticed after I started to think about golf seriously was the good old "hit it down to send the ball up". Since it was the first thing I tried hard to master, I have no problem hitting the ball down with my hands forward.

But the problem is, I'm hitting my driver down also and my tee shot has been my weakest link!

Oh yes I am supposed to tilt a little bit more backward so that I can change the path of the club head, but my basic instint of "hitting it down" always dominates.

SP

[/quote]

You issue sounds like the exact opposite of what has happened to me the last couple of years. I hit the driver great but was not hitting down enough on the irons all of the time. for me the driver is hit on the upswing. I have it teed up high just inside my left heel . I can tee the ball on the highest tee ( think they are 4+ inches LOL ) and still not get under or balloon the ball. I used to tee the driver lower and it made me hit down and add too much backspin for me . I have had a few friends move the ball forward in their stance and tee it up a little higher and they had great results. for practice at the range I would tee the ball a couple inches outside my front foot and get used to hitting it that way. for me that drill would have me extending and hitting up on the driver. I do not suggest using the high tee on the driver for most people as they do seem to get under it too much but it works for me . the other big thing for me getting a feeling that I am staying behind the ball at impact . for my driver tempo I would drop my back foot all the way behind me so I am balancing all of my weight on my front foot. if you swing too hard you will lose balance or hit some ugly drives. when you are swinging on one foot and you accelerate at the right time with tempo it is amazing how far you can hit the ball for the most part on one foot. beware you will get some funny looks on the range swinging the driver with one foot but after you start hitting them great , you may see a bunch of guys doing it after you leave ha ha ha ha ha . the driver used to be the worst club in my bag for years and now I do not even really practice it at the range. I have the feeling so ingrained that as long as my tempo is good , the driver will listen to me . hope some of this info works for you.

Hi everyone, thought i'd chime in with my experience so far. I ordered the Tour Striker Pro and the TS Wedge, right before the 4th of july. Although I never got a shipping confirmation, they arrived the following thursday, so even with the Hoiliday I had them in about a week. (No damage as some had experienced.)

Got my first chance to work with them on the range before playing as a guest in a mens league last night. Afte ra brief warm up I gave the TS Pro a go, and sure enough hit a coupel of grounders with it as I suspected I would as I new my hands had gotten a bit "flippy" since my playing time has been way down the last few years and my distance with the shorter irons in particular had been down as well. I focused on the aim point idea as I had used before to help get me to not "hit at the ball", but instead making my mental target a spot somewhere in front of the ball to help get a clean strike with compression and not hit the shots fat/heavy. Within say 6 balls I was back to hitting the kind of shots I hit when I played well and was younger. "ripped" would be a good description on how they felt. That oh so addictive really solid compression that we all crave and get hooked on was back.

Now it wasn't an instant fix for everything, but PGA Pro Martin Chuck has reallly come up with a great thing here. I love that "it teaches you all on tis own when you use it".. The feedback is immediate, and you know right away when you have doen it right or wrong. Now this was of a tightly mowed gras range so i was taking divots, this wasn't off ot mats.

As for the TS Wedge, what an alien looking thing, but it too works very well. Heck I hit the 56 deg further than the 54 deg Cleveland that I have in the bag. My wedge play has been spotty for a good while now, and This should help straighten some of that out. I am looking forward to using these as I can already see how much they are going to help.

One concern I have is that I ordered the TS Pro (which is supposed to be a 7 iron equivalent I thought). Yet it seems to be about 1/2 inch shorter than the 7 iron in my set. makes me wonder if I got the "regular" Tour striker rather than the Pro model? ( my set is "stock" Taylor R7TP's)

[quote name='tbowles411' date='14 July 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1279117941' post='2575206']
Will this help with driving and fairway woods? I've improved in iron and wedge play because I figured out the hands forward thing, but for the life of me, I may hit my woods well maybe 1/3 of the time on 18 holes. It puts much more stress on the rest of the game. Thanks!

Tom
[/quote]

Tom, you may have other issues that the TS won't help you solve. The TS will help you develop a rhythm that will help you have leverage. The shaft won't pass the plane of the left arm prior to impact. Sure, you can flip it with the TS if you have a fluffy lie and want to cheat the premise of the club, but in general the club helps people understand the correct impact position and sequence of getting there. Will it help with woods? In most cases, yes.

I don't promote a "steep" attack. Rather a shallow attack with shaft lean. That's tricky and the key to consistent ball striking.

A lot of people are "satisfied" with their wood play because they can move it down the fairway. Do they maximize their personal leverage? Likely not.

[quote name='SpeedyPro' date='14 July 2010 - 07:53 AM' timestamp='1279119216' post='2575247']

SP

[/quote]

Speedy, I would seriously take a look at your clubface. It doesn't make sense that a person with a closed clubface would strike down. Sure a chop might have that look, but the ball wouldn't get airborne. So, I'm guessing your swing works okay with your irons, but your open face matched with little loft (driver) makes you try and fix the face by having too left a path and downward strike. Post a swing on this thread and let us take a look. It's amazing what your body will do to adjust for a clubface issue.

[quote name='yoshiod9' date='14 July 2010 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1279121306' post='2575349']
I have the same issue, Speedy. It's probably not the right thing to do but I have just flattened out my backswing a ton so that I make sure I come back into the ball at a shallow angle. When I make a poor swing, it's because I didn't swing from the inside/transfer my weight properly and I'll pop one up.

Cmartingolf- Thanks for the sweet product. I took it to the range yesterday after playing a horrible round in 20-30+mph winds on Monday. I would hit 5 shots with the TSP and then trade and hit with my irons. I noticed at least a ten yard gain in all irons... I need to make this hands ahead feeling permanent! An odd thing I noticed is that I must not be getting my hands as far forward with my clubs as I do with the TSP... I was hitting the TSP around 165-170 but my 7 to 150-155. Crazy. I'll continue working to make sure I'm getting my hands ahead at impact and making ball first contact.

Thanks again for the TSP... it's a great product!
[/quote]

Yoshi, I'm glad you like the club. The CG is high and it produces long shots. It's clearly too risky to have a set made that way:)

[quote name='ironmikes' date='14 July 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1279123478' post='2575447']
[quote name='SpeedyPro' date='14 July 2010 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1279119216' post='2575247']

SP

[/quote]

You issue sounds like the exact opposite of what has happened to me the last couple of years. I hit the driver great but was not hitting down enough on the irons all of the time. for me the driver is hit on the upswing. I have it teed up high just inside my left heel . I can tee the ball on the highest tee ( think they are 4+ inches LOL ) and still not get under or balloon the ball. I used to tee the driver lower and it made me hit down and add too much backspin for me . I have had a few friends move the ball forward in their stance and tee it up a little higher and they had great results. for practice at the range I would tee the ball a couple inches outside my front foot and get used to hitting it that way. for me that drill would have me extending and hitting up on the driver. I do not suggest using the high tee on the driver for most people as they do seem to get under it too much but it works for me . the other big thing for me getting a feeling that I am staying behind the ball at impact . for my driver tempo I would drop my back foot all the way behind me so I am balancing all of my weight on my front foot. if you swing too hard you will lose balance or hit some ugly drives. when you are swinging on one foot and you accelerate at the right time with tempo it is amazing how far you can hit the ball for the most part on one foot. beware you will get some funny looks on the range swinging the driver with one foot but after you start hitting them great , you may see a bunch of guys doing it after you leave ha ha ha ha ha . the driver used to be the worst club in my bag for years and now I do not even really practice it at the range. I have the feeling so ingrained that as long as my tempo is good , the driver will listen to me . hope some of this info works for you.
[/quote]

Iron, just like Speedy, your body does what it needs to do to hit the best shot it can. If I've given one lesson, I've given a thousand and in 9/10 cases I'm fixing a face that is open at some point in the swing and the student tries to correct the bad face in a variety of ways. If you path is left and down, you likely need a face correction. This is either a grip or wrist adjustment.

[quote name='Divotsplus' date='15 July 2010 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1279224610' post='2578223']
Hi everyone, thought i'd chime in with my experience so far. I ordered the Tour Striker Pro and the TS Wedge, right before the 4th of july. Although I never got a shipping confirmation, they arrived the following thursday, so even with the Hoiliday I had them in about a week. (No damage as some had experienced.)

Got my first chance to work with them on the range before playing as a guest in a mens league last night. Afte ra brief warm up I gave the TS Pro a go, and sure enough hit a coupel of grounders with it as I suspected I would as I new my hands had gotten a bit "flippy" since my playing time has been way down the last few years and my distance with the shorter irons in particular had been down as well. I focused on the aim point idea as I had used before to help get me to not "hit at the ball", but instead making my mental target a spot somewhere in front of the ball to help get a clean strike with compression and not hit the shots fat/heavy. Within say 6 balls I was back to hitting the kind of shots I hit when I played well and was younger. "ripped" would be a good description on how they felt. That oh so addictive really solid compression that we all crave and get hooked on was back.

Now it wasn't an instant fix for everything, but PGA Pro Martin Chuck has reallly come up with a great thing here. I love that "it teaches you all on tis own when you use it".. The feedback is immediate, and you know right away when you have doen it right or wrong. Now this was of a tightly mowed gras range so i was taking divots, this wasn't off ot mats.

As for the TS Wedge, what an alien looking thing, but it too works very well. Heck I hit the 56 deg further than the 54 deg Cleveland that I have in the bag. My wedge play has been spotty for a good while now, and This should help straighten some of that out. I am looking forward to using these as I can already see how much they are going to help.

One concern I have is that I ordered the TS Pro (which is supposed to be a 7 iron equivalent I thought). Yet it seems to be about 1/2 inch shorter than the 7 iron in my set. makes me wonder if I got the "regular" Tour striker rather than the Pro model? ( my set is "stock" Taylor R7TP's)
[/quote]

Divot, I'm glad you like the clubs! I'll look into your order and have my wife get back to you.

Cheers,

MC

I received my LH Tour Striker Pro 5 iron three days ago and all I can say is WOW! This club is incredible! I really had no idea that I was hitting the ball so incorrectly (Definitely a flipper!). It has taken all three days for me to even begin to hit this thing with any kind of consistency. Now my shots are flying over 200yds with hardly any effort. My only problem is that when I strike this club solidly, I tend to push my shots to the right of my intended target, and when they aren't pushed, I'm now hitting a slight fade when I used to play a draw. Not sure if it's an alignment problem or something in my swing.

[quote name='bearkat38' date='21 July 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1279761702' post='2591392']
I received my LH Tour Striker Pro 5 iron three days ago and all I can say is WOW! This club is incredible! I really had no idea that I was hitting the ball so incorrectly (Definitely a flipper!). It has taken all three days for me to even begin to hit this thing with any kind of consistency. Now my shots are flying over 200yds with hardly any effort. My only problem is that when I strike this club solidly, I tend to push my shots to the right of my intended target, and when they aren't pushed, I'm now hitting a slight fade when I used to play a draw. Not sure if it's an alignment problem or something in my swing.
[/quote]

Bearkat, the club is trying to tell you that you need a tiny grip adjustment now that you aren't flipping it to achieve a square clubface. Try a 1/4 more "knuckle" on your left hand. I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,
I just got my Tour Striker Pro X yesterday and LOVE it! It's forced me to make a few tweaks already. I'm hitting the ball with much less hands and much more pivot. Just for kicks, I used the Tour Striker and the Pro Ball Striker together and, wow, what a combo!
I have just one question: Compared to my regular 7 iron, the Tour Striker flies about 10 to 20 yards further. Is this normal?
Thanks for the excellent product. I love it!

[quote name='aaronsnow' date='22 July 2010 - 08:33 AM' timestamp='1279812813' post='2592454']
Martin,
I just got my Tour Striker Pro X yesterday and LOVE it! It's forced me to make a few tweaks already. I'm hitting the ball with much less hands and much more pivot. Just for kicks, I used the Tour Striker and the Pro Ball Striker together and, wow, what a combo!
I have just one question: Compared to my regular 7 iron, the Tour Striker flies about 10 to 20 yards further. Is this normal?
Thanks for the excellent product. I love it!
[/quote]

Aaron, it was never intended to be longer, but there is a lot of mass right behind the sweet spot as it is not intended to be game improvement. Funny thing, the cavity back wasn't on purpose, but my designer kept it there based on one of my home-made proto-types.

I'm a big PBS fan.

Cheers and thanks for your support.

MC

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='22 July 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1279840759' post='2593421']
Cmartin,

Do you have any plans of doing a package where you get a lesson with you and the TS/TS wedge etc. combined? I think that would be very cool and would try to do that.
[/quote]

We can do that:)

Come see me, we'll have a good time.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='22 July 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1279803102' post='2592154']
[quote name='bearkat38' date='21 July 2010 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1279761702' post='2591392']
[/quote]

Bearkat, the club is trying to tell you that you need a tiny grip adjustment now that you aren't flipping it to achieve a square clubface. Try a 1/4 more "knuckle" on your left hand. I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Martin

[/quote]

Great! Many thanks. I will be making this adjustment first thing in the morning.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='22 July 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1279803102' post='2592154']
[/quote]

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Martin
[/quote]

Seeing that he is a lefty, shouldn't that be a knuckle on the right hand?

[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1279849821' post='2593728']
[/quote]

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Martin
[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoa!! You are right...

Thank you.

I'm sure he figured that out... lefties are good at that:) They have had to transcribe instruction for the last few hundred years.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1279865552' post='2594086']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1279849821' post='2593728']
[/quote]

Thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Martin
[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoa!! You are right...

Thank you.

I'm sure he figured that out... lefties are good at that:) They have had to transcribe instruction for the last few hundred years.

[/quote]

Haha! Yea I figured that one out, but nice catch though! ;)

Martin,
I am a 13-handicap right now, and go to the range 1-2 times per week and play 18 at least once a week. My swing speed with the driver is around 100, so that would put me into the Tour Striker Pro range, but I also saw the listing that mid and high-handicappers may be better suited for the regular Tour Striker. Any thoughts on which way I should go if I purchase this product? Thanks for your help!

Has anyone tried to hit one of those "BirdieBall" practice cylinder things with the TS? I just ordered some birdieballs last night to hit in a field next to my apartment and thought it would be pretty cool if I could use my TS with these. I've only seen the birdieball through a picture and at 1st glance it looks like it wouldn't work out too well with the TS