Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='20something' date='21 June 2010 - 06:40 AM' timestamp='1277127622' post='2523097']
For everyone who bought the Tour Striker, did you get to the range with it and get so frustrated with it that you wanted to toss it?

I can just see me not being able to hit it and getting frustrated and throwing it in the trash. Right now I'm in a bad place and can't hit anything. Not sure I need more aggravation.
[/quote]

OK, small steps; here we go...

You need to have a consistent swing bottom. One of the key things about the TS is the rounded flange that doesn't dig. It can smear the turf and squish out a divot, but it won't cut a divot like a normal club. Therefore, you will never have a sudden, painful stop by flipping. That's why people "lift their head" btw...to avoid the fat shot and pounding by over-acceleration. Over-acceleration and the TS are not friends either.

I want you to take some half swings and commit to landing/smashing the ground and smearing some turf. Focus on where you are hitting the ground. It should be around the instep of your forward foot. Once you get the rhythm of slapping the ground and can do it with consistency, you are ready to put a ball in the way.

You'll find that with the forward face and trailing edge, impact with the ball and the ground happens at the same time. That is fine as it translates nicely to a normal club's offset.

Try that and keep your chin up:)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RJRJRJ' date='21 June 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1277153216' post='2524207']
[quote name='20something' date='21 June 2010 - 05:40 AM' timestamp='1277127622' post='2523097']
For everyone who bought the Tour Striker, did you get to the range with it and get so frustrated with it that you wanted to toss it?

I can just see me not being able to hit it and getting frustrated and throwing it in the trash. Right now I'm in a bad place and can't hit anything. Not sure I need more aggravation.
[/quote]

Ive been in that bad place for the past couple of months. The TSP is definitely frustrating for me, but I know ill get good with it eventually and it will pay off. Its not uncommon for me to only hit 1 out of 10 shots well with it, unlike some guys here who can apparently hit every shot perfectly. I get a lot of line drives or ground balls. Im sort of self conscious at the range, so it can be frustrating/embarrassing to hit a dozen bad shots in a row, but I just bust out the real 7 iron periodically to get a couple decent shots off and give myself a pat on the back :clapping:

BTW, ive only been out with it a couple of times, so I probably have a long way to go.
[/quote]

Hi RJ,

Similar to 20something...

I was hitting balls at the club I work at when a caddie asked to try the TSPX. He watched me hit some (our range decks are tight btw) and happened to hit those few nicely. I still miss hit shot with the TS clubs.

Anyway, he tried and sure enough he hit a few bullets and grounders. I'd say he's a single digit handicapper. His path was a little shallow and he really wasn't hitting the ground. He had some throwaway. Once I showed him some half swings with noticeable thump on the ground and how it presented nice loft and high shots, he figured it out and hit some beauties.

There is a bit more "down" needed than some folks think.

Cheers,

MC

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='21 June 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1277174838' post='2525027']
[quote name='20something' date='21 June 2010 - 06:40 AM' timestamp='1277127622' post='2523097']

[/quote]

OK, small steps; here we go...

You need to have a consistent swing bottom. One of the key things about the TS is the rounded flange that doesn't dig. It can smear the turf and squish out a divot, but it won't cut a divot like a normal club. Therefore, you will never have a sudden, painful stop by flipping. That's why people "lift their head" btw...to avoid the fat shot and pounding by over-acceleration. Over-acceleration and the TS are not friends either.

I want you to take some half swings and commit to landing/smashing the ground and smearing some turf. Focus on where you are hitting the ground. It should be around the instep of your forward foot. Once you get the rhythm of slapping the ground and can do it with consistency, you are ready to put a ball in the way.

You'll find that with the forward face and trailing edge, impact with the ball and the ground happens at the same time. That is fine as it translates nicely to a normal club's offset.

Try that and keep your chin up:)
[/quote]

Okay. I've ordered the TS Pro. I'll be interested to see it and see what happens.
Thanks for everyone's comments.

Well donerolleyes.gif , Mr Chuck, I guess we in the Society of Double-Digit Silly Collectors of Golfing Gadgets now all are eagerly waiting for the Hold the Secret Angle Tour Striker product from you.

I guess Mr Rohan-Weaver´s Power Release (the one with the sliding ball along the shaft) is the best Hold the Angle item at the moment, perhaps better than the Swingyde?

Simply relaxing the wrist unit and aiming it a bit forward isn´t enough when you started the game with a fully grown cerebellum...(25+) and have an overactive upper thumb that yearns to shoot the club out...

Set a new PR today with 15 good ones in a row with the TSP... then cheating with G15 on-course...only need a TS Driver then and I´ll be ready for reality and single figures...?

Well donerolleyes.gif , Mr Chuck, I guess we in the Society of Double-Digit Silly Collectors of Golfing Gadgets now all are eagerly waiting for the Hold the Secret Angle Tour Striker product from you.

I guess Mr Rohan-Weaver´s Power Release (the one with the sliding ball along the shaft) is the best Hold the Angle item at the moment, perhaps better than the Swingyde?

Simply relaxing the wrist unit and aiming it a bit forward isn´t enough when you started the game with a fully grown cerebellum...(25+) and have an overactive upper thumb that yearns to shoot the club out...

Set a new PR today with 15 good ones in a row with the TSP... then cheating with G15 on-course...only need a TS Driver then and I´ll be ready for reality and single figures...?

Good stuff. You made me laugh. Old dogs can learn new tricks and John's stuff is excellent. I always enjoy our visits at the PGA Show. He was working on some videos that I chimed in on. I need to see if he has them for sale yet.

how is the TS off of range mats v turf? will it make a difference?

Tight turf is the best, but an old gnarly range mat works well. The fluffy new models allow for too much cheating.

[quote name='tdeutmeyer' date='24 June 2010 - 06:13 AM' timestamp='1277385192' post='2529729']
I've been playing for 28yrs now to a 0-4handicap with a cast/flip swing. I'm lucky if I can hit this 35% of the time. It's getting better though and so is my ball stiking consistency!!!!! Great training aid and I hope to get the wedge soon.
[/quote]

Awesome! I'm glad it's making a difference for you!!

Which tour striker should I get, I'm going to get one for my birthday. I shoot in the high 70's and low 80's(i don't know how that translates to handicap) as my irons as the weakest part of my game. I have been looking at getting one of these for a long time. It seems like it would be great for me because I am a classic flipper who can't take a divot to save their life. Thank you for any input.

Taylormade Stealth 9 w/ Tensei White 1K 60TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 16.5 w/ Tensei White 1K 80TX

Callaway Apex UW 21 w/ Diamana D+ Limited Edition 90TX

Miura TC-201 4-PW w/ LAGP L-Series 
Artisan 50, 55, 60 w/ LAGP L-Series 

Evnroll ER11V

I'm interested in the TSP X but I don't see it on your website, how might I go about getting my hands on one, and should I be able to hit one out of fairway bunkers once i get to that level?

Thanks.

P.S. Saw the infomercial the other day, very well done. If I didn't want one before (or wasn't sure) I sure want one now! :)

[quote name='mcmski' date='26 June 2010 - 01:41 AM' timestamp='1277530863' post='2537008']
I'm interested in the TSP X but I don't see it on your website, how might I go about getting my hands on one, and should I be able to hit one out of fairway bunkers once i get to that level?

Thanks.

P.S. Saw the infomercial the other day, very well done. If I didn't want one before (or wasn't sure) I sure want one now! :)
[/quote]

Link to TSP X -> http://www.tourstriker.com/shop/product_details.aspx?p=142

(The picture on the above webpage is of the TSP, there is a picture of the TSP X in this thread)

[quote name='banshee' date='25 June 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1277511677' post='2535928']
Can you order the pro with a reg. steel shaft?

What kind of shaft does the pro come with?
[/quote]

Sure can...reg, stiff or graphite? We use Femco shafts, they make the KBS shaft and a variety of other "big name" shafts.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='26 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1277563818' post='2537708']
[quote name='banshee' date='25 June 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1277511677' post='2535928']

[/quote]

Sure can...reg, stiff or graphite? We use Femco shafts, they make the KBS shaft and a variety of other "big name" shafts.

[/quote]
I can't find the reg. flex steel shaft option for the pro on your website. I even called in to see if I can order it, and the rep said that it only come in still flex.

[quote name='banshee' date='26 June 2010 - 08:59 AM' timestamp='1277567947' post='2537873']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='26 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1277563818' post='2537708']

[/quote]

[/quote]
I can't find the reg. flex steel shaft option for the pro on your website. I even called in to see if I can order it, and the rep said that it only come in still flex.
[/quote]

Sorry, you are right. The phone folks only know what they see available online. We are temporarily out of reg steel TS Pro. We have them in graphite reg. Should have some next week.

Cheers,

MC

[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='26 June 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1277569149' post='2537919']
[quote name='banshee' date='26 June 2010 - 08:59 AM' timestamp='1277567947' post='2537873']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry, you are right. The phone folks only know what they see available online. We are temporarily out of reg steel TS Pro. We have them in graphite reg. Should have some next week.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]

So how do I order it when it become available? Will there be an online option, or do I call in?

I showed my TSP to the Assistant Pro at the club where I practice; he had never seen or heard of the Tourstriker. He took a few swings and then started hitting shots. It took two or three for him to start getting the correct trajectory, then his shots began to resemble his normal 7-iron.

He handed it back to me and said that he wouldn't recommend buying the set because they were too hard to hit. He thought it was a demo club from a new set I was considering buying! I had to explain to him that this was a training club. I got a pretty good chuckle out of the whole thing!

[quote name='happyroman' date='27 June 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1277674291' post='2540387']
I showed my TSP to the Assistant Pro at the club where I practice; he had never seen or heard of the Tourstriker. He took a few swings and then started hitting shots. It took two or three for him to start getting the correct trajectory, then his shots began to resemble his normal 7-iron.

He handed it back to me and said that he wouldn't recommend buying the set because they were too hard to hit. He thought it was a demo club from a new set I was considering buying! I had to explain to him that this was a training club. I got a pretty good chuckle out of the whole thing!
[/quote]

That's great. You must be able to keep a straight face pretty well!!

I am actually designing a set of irons that will incorporate mild features of the TS clubs. The TS clubs and watching people develop with them have taught me a thing or two about clubs and once you have the connections to get something from concept to manufacture, it's not that hard to get something made.

I'm playing around with the lofts, bounce, leading edges, etc...

I should have proto's for testing in two months or less.

[quote name='banshee' date='26 June 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1277569790' post='2537954']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='26 June 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1277569149' post='2537919']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]

So how do I order it when it become available? Will there be an online option, or do I call in?
[/quote]

My inside guy told me Wednesday of next week. Cheers and thanks for the interest!!! - Martin

it would be nice to have an x flex shaft available for the tour striker pro x but i am sure it wouldn't be a big deal to reshaft if a person really wanted it. this looks like a very good product.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

Martin, I wonder if you wouldn't mind commenting on the mental side of using the TS successfully. I just bought a TSP and after two range sessions I hit some good shots, but when I started to hit a few bad ones in a row I got into "trying too hard" mode, which for one thing got me to be more "ball bound", and poor results followed still. After reading Fred Shoemaker's "Extraordinary Golf", I'm convinced that relating to the fairway, green, etc. as the target, instead of relating to the ball as the target is the way to play this game. However, that is easier said than done, and I wonder if that isn't most golfers' problem and the cause of most swing flaws. If you look at sequence photos of his students when they do his club "throwing" exercise they've got great lag in their swings, but when the ball is there that is when all the flipping and the other flaws show up. Thanks Martin (Sorry to go off on a tangent like that.)

[quote name='provx' date='28 June 2010 - 05:34 PM' timestamp='1277771687' post='2543158']
it would be nice to have an x flex shaft available for the tour striker pro x but i am sure it wouldn't be a big deal to reshaft if a person really wanted it. this looks like a very good product.
[/quote]

Some guys have done that...We can do it if you like.

I have 6.5's in my clubs and the stock TS stiff feels great for training. Besides, a softer shaft on the miss hits isn't all bad.

[quote name='rocyer' date='29 June 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1277858970' post='2545682']
Martin, I wonder if you wouldn't mind commenting on the mental side of using the TS successfully. I just bought a TSP and after two range sessions I hit some good shots, but when I started to hit a few bad ones in a row I got into "trying too hard" mode, which for one thing got me to be more "ball bound", and poor results followed still. After reading Fred Shoemaker's "Extraordinary Golf", I'm convinced that relating to the fairway, green, etc. as the target, instead of relating to the ball as the target is the way to play this game. However, that is easier said than done, and I wonder if that isn't most golfers' problem and the cause of most swing flaws. If you look at sequence photos of his students when they do his club "throwing" exercise they've got great lag in their swings, but when the ball is there that is when all the flipping and the other flaws show up. Thanks Martin (Sorry to go off on a tangent like that.)
[/quote]

Rocyer, I know what you are talking about.

"Strong fingers, supple wrists. Everything ever said about the hands, should have been said about the wrists." (paraphasing Jim Petralia, a damn fine teacher in SoCal.)

Lag that leading edge closer to the ground. See what happens.

I'm a fan of Fred Shoemaker. I don't think you play golf with your mind, but you mind can certainly stop you from playing golf.

My tips come from Ben Doyle's descriptions as I find them the best.

1. Burn the target in your eyes on your last look.
2. Eyes on the ball.
3. Mind (feel) in the hands.
4. Wallop it with you pivot.

Cheers!

Martin

[quote name='rocyer' date='29 June 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1277858970' post='2545682']
[/quote]

Here's a great video by Shawn Clement that discusses this phenomena.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/0/cX0nTDMpvOw"]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=clemshaw#p/search/0/cX0nTDMpvOw[/url]