2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

callaway upro worth it?

for all those that use the upro, is it worth it? any disadvantages compared to the skycaddie brand? i have a line on one locally in mint condition for $150 which i think is a good deal. i would jump on it if it were a skycaddie for sure but i dont know how the upro compares. does anyone have any trouble with support or satellite problems? how about the flyover feature, is it just a gimmick or is it useful? any help would be great. push me over the top either way on this decision.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I'll get grief for negatively criticizing the U-Pro, and I'm equally certain that there are tons of people who will give you an opposite opinion. I added a new course to mine over the weekend and played it on Monday. I'm older and vision-impaired and have never been able to use the Pro-Mode functions of the U-Pro. I hate it every time I see that damned U-Pro commercial on tv where they show a Pro-Mode view and it looks identical to the television view of the hole (plus their ability to pause the flyover view, showing those lines for 100/150/200 yd layups (Flyover view CANNOT be paused). All my ProMode maps appear to be rendered in black and white instead of color, and overall appear "washed-out GREY", making it very difficult to use the very valuable "distance to any spot on fairway" function. Even though I only use basic mode (equivalent to U-Pro Go), I learned the hard way during my Monday outing that it is sometimes very inaccurate in its measurements. I have 2 GPS units (U-Pro and Sonocaddie V-300) and a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Rangefinder. After hitting good shots that came up very short of my target, I began comparing the different units and found that both GPS units were sometimes off by as much as 15 yds. Best thing about the V-300 is simple ability to add target measurements, which are frequently not indicated on U-Pro and cannot be added, and the clear, easily viewed screen, plus unbelievably long battery charge despite not requiring any sleep mode. I'm gonna give my U-Pro to my son-in-law, and just use the V-300 and Rangefinder from now on. Each have their advantages. Good Luck with your decision.

I have both and like uPro personally. The hole flyovers are great, especially for a course that you've never seen before. I can't seem for the life of me to figure out with confidence what hazards the skycaddie is referring to on a new course. With the upro overhead you can choose your spot on teh course that you'd like to hit to for distance, short of a bunker etc, also plan where you want to be for an approach shot. For my home course, the skycaddie is quicker to use but usually bring the uPro.

Complaints are:
- screen size
- glare in bright light
- LAME....no REALLY FREAKING LAME support for Mac computers.
- transferring ownership is a bit of a hassel in that you and the seller have to contact Callaway in order to change the user name on the account/device.

Otherwise, great device and for 150 bucks, good deal.

b.

I have a skycaddie S4 and a S5.... they are both very good.

I also have the upro, which I always use, unless on that rare occasion a course that I am going to play is not available, then I use one of the skycaddies.

If you use the skycaddie, you can keep your score on it as you go, for some this seems to be a big deal.... for me, It actually seems to get in the way, I feel like I have to fumble around too much with the device and not enough on my game at hand.

The I always use the pro version on the courses I play with the Upro, therefore I do get flyovers and while I don't always look at them....it is a nice feature on some courses that you may not know how the hole curves or where certain hazards are located.

I have read where some people have trouble viewing Upro in sunny conditions, I think that in most of those cases, if they went to settings and changed the brightness that would help them quite a bit.

I also would say that those very same people would have trouble with the skycaddie versions in bright or shaded situations, so I honestly dont see one advantage over the other.

For $150 I think you could buy the unit and use it..... if you don't like it you should be able to sell it if you don't like it.

Have the uPro. Like it. For $150, you'd be getting a fair deal. My only issue with uPro is the cost of ProMode courses. Still think C-way should bring them down, but I guess in comparison to an annual fee it's still a savings if your unit makes it to year 4. I'm on my 2nd year with it. I don't use the PM that much though because I'm just primarily interested in distances to known areas/obstacles that come with the free basic courses. PM with AnyPoint would slow me down and defeat the whole purpose (club selection and quick play).

Size of unit is awesome - very pocket-friendly or easily placed in bag or on cart.

I've used a skycaddie, rangefinder various iPhone golf gps apps and a uPro. I think the uPro is by far the best.

In terms of others objections:
1) I have no problem with the screen size. The distances to the green are large, and if I want pinpoint accuracy, anypoint technology is easy to use with the click of one button.

2) I put a cheap zagg screen protector on mine (I actually cut an old one from an iphone) and I have no glare problems at all.

3) Works perfectly on my Mac. There is a procedure to update the memory card in the unit if you have a problem using on a Mac. Took 15 minutes (although it was a bit of a pain to get ahold of customer service).

4) Pro Mode maps are not black and white, thats completely untrue. They use sat. photos so the quality of flyover is a bit dependent on the quality of sat. image available. Some of the major courses have been enhanced, others have not. I play a local muni that no one has ever heard of, and while the image isn't as crisp as the commercial, it is excellent and I have no problem viewing it.

Ultimately everyone likes what they like. I like the uPro and I've liked some of the other products I've tried too... for that price, you can't go wrong.

UPro is still the best GPS out. The screen needs to be improved and I HATE that the upro staff said the stats tracker update would come out Spring of '09 and still NOTHING! I want to keep stats and use the VR button! dang them!

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I am very pleased with my upro.

What in the Bag
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Driver HZRDUS X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w HZRDUS X
Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS X
Callaway X Forged 4-7 KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Callaway Apex MB 8-PW KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Engage 52, 56 and 60 Wedge KBS Tour C Taper X
Nike Method 001

I hava a upro and like it very much. This is my 6th gps. I have had 3 skycaddies and had trouble with them. I also had 2 golf logix units which I liked but when the upro came along I decided to upgrade. I have been very happy with the unit. Distances seem to be spot on. Granted the pro mode screen can be washed out but I can read the screen and primarily I use it for measuring distances such as dog legs. Not a problem there. I have been in contact with customer service a few times and can get thru to an actual person within a couple of minutes. They have been very helpful. I would rate it as excellent. One problem that I do have with the unit is battery life. I can get a round out of a battery but when I'm finished it's usually down to either 40% or 20% so I have to recharge the battery. I keep a spare battery with me when out on the course.

For $150 it's a good deal.

John

So stoked to get my uPro Go on Monday - definitely going to upgrade to the GoMode for $50. A couple questions:

1) Anyone know what the distance arond green that is shown is? From the pictures it looks like you get about 10 yards all around the green
2) Is there any way to use it for ad hoc distances if you're not at a course? For example, going to a field, hitting "Mark" - hitting a few shots - and then walking out to the shots to see the distance?

I don't buy the whole software upgrade coming Spring 2010 theory. Especially since they have the rebate going. I suspect they are designing a new uPro device that will have the stats capability to be released later on this year. I have no inside knowledge. Just my gut feeling. That's some serious code they'll have to build to upgrade the current software in order to have the ability to keep stats.

I hope I am wrong since I bought a uPro about a month ago.

I love mine and I've posted a few thoughts in the other uPro thread. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/289526-upro-love-it-or-hate-it/page__view__findpost__p__2251957

[quote name='TheBUNKY' date='13 March 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1268499439' post='2313410']
I don't buy the whole software upgrade coming Spring 2010 theory. Especially since they have the rebate going. I suspect they are designing a new uPro device that will have the stats capability to be released later on this year. I have no inside knowledge. Just my gut feeling. That's some serious code they'll have to build to upgrade the current software in order to have the ability to keep stats.

I hope I am wrong since I bought a uPro about a month ago.

I love mine and I've posted a few thoughts in the other uPro thread. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/289526-upro-love-it-or-hate-it/page__view__findpost__p__2251957"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ost__p__2251957[/url]
[/quote]

They were working on the update prior to being bought out by Callaway, then supposedly put it on hold to get the uPro Go out. There's no reason to doubt the update is real for the current uPro. There's been no indication they are working on another device either. The delays are frustrating, but I'm happy with my device as is, and look at the stats/scoring update as a bonus. Hopefully they'll give a definitive timeline soon, rather than radio silence. The last update indicated that it was being beta tested internally.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

[b]I emailed UPro regarding the stats upgrade that was due a year ago. Here's the reply I got...[/b]

[size=2][size=2]Hello Ryan,[/size]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]Thank you for contacting Callaway uPro Technical Support.[/size]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]There is exciting news surrounding the statistics and voice recognition modules for the uPro.[/size]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]All of these downloadable pieces are currently in the finishing stages of development and preliminary real time testing of the software has begun within our R & D department.[/size]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]We continue to be committed to delivering industry leading technology and will have updates and module releases in the very near future.[/size]

[size=2]Should you have any additional questions or concerns please contact us toll free at 888.358.5788 option 4, reply to this email or visit our website at [url="http://www.uprogps.com/"]www.uprogps.com[/url].[/size]

[size=2]Technical Support has representatives available to assist -[/size]

[size=2]* Monday – Friday 6:00am – 7:00pm PST[/size]

[size=2]* Saturday 8:00am – 5:00pm PST[/size]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]Regards,[/size]

[font=Arial][size=2]
[b]Callaway uPro Technical Support[/b]
Callaway Golf Sales Company
E: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][/size]

[size=2]P: 888.358.5788 opt 4
F: 760.930.5350[/size]

[size=2][url="http://www.uprogps.com/"]www.uprogps.com[/url][/size]

nm

[/size][/font]

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I got to test out the uPro yesterday. It was pretty good. Once the distance settled, usually like five seconds, I was good to go. The only issue I had was it didn't connect when I first turned it on. I restarted it and then it finally connected to the satellite. It seemed pretty accurate. I was very comfortable picking my clubs and feel they hit the yardages. So far so good!

I just added a uPro GPS to my golf bag and I can say it's by FAR the best purchase I have made in recent memory. Typically I have been a laser rangefinder user for the past few years - I was on the fence on whether or not to go the GPS route but let me tell you I am SO GLAD I did. Distances to hazards, measurements to anywhere on the course, hole fly-bys, bunker carries, pin placements. The uPro does it all and it does it all WELL.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I absolutely love my uPro. I check it against GPS in carts and markers and find it to be very accurate. The worst I have ever seen it is 3 yards off.
[quote name='DevilGolfer' date='19 March 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1269018129' post='2327300']
I got to test out the uPro yesterday. It was pretty good. Once the distance settled, usually like five seconds, I was good to go. The only issue I had was it didn't connect when I first turned it on. I restarted it and then it finally connected to the satellite. It seemed pretty accurate. I was very comfortable picking my clubs and feel they hit the yardages. So far so good!
[/quote]

I find that mine has a hard time connecting when my cart has GPS in it. If I turn it on in the parking lot, range, or in a cart with no GPS it connects right away.

I've got to use it for two more rounds, I love it. It had no issues connecting either time. Keller, the first time I turned it on I was using a cart but I turned it on before I got it. I guess it was a hiccup. It was a nice blessing not having to guess the yardages being away from sprinkler heads. Also, it was a sigh of relief knowing the sprinkler heads are spot on. I love the how long was this shot feature, "Mark." No more guessing how far I hit the club. The only issues I have now are my main course needs to be updated, it's close to four years behind. My other course is of a poor quality satellite image. I sent word to Callaway and hopefully this will be handled in a timely fashion.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased this device last year when they first came out even though my home course was not on the list of courses. I was informed that all I needed to do is submit a request for my course and I should see it in a couple of weeks. That was a year ago and I still don't have my home course mapped. There are 158 requests on the UPRO site for this course and still no action. I can't even get them to reply to an email. Because of this, I finally gave up and purchased an Approach G5. I sold my upro on ebay and now it is someone elses issue!

BTW, one thing I didn't like about the UPRO was the screen brightness. I could never see it when the sun was out! My Approach, although not optimum, is still better than the UPRO.

WITB:
Ping S55 5-PW
Ping G30 10.5 Driver
Ping Glide Wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping G30 21° hybrid
Cobra King F6+ 25°

• 2 weeks later...

i vote with finalist.

the first i heard of the new features was just over a year ago, and they said it was due in summer 2009. then in the summer they said it would be in the fall. in the fall they said it would be spring 2010. in spring 2010 they said....

kind of a bummer. can it be that difficult to add stats tracking? it seems mind-blowing when i see an iphone application add that kind of feature in a few months. i realize there is testing to be done, but seriously... they should at least wait on the voice stuff and push out the scorecards and stats. lets go callaway, come on!

[quote name='DevilGolfer' date='19 March 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1269018129' post='2327300']
[/quote]

I got into the routine of powering it up and selecting the course as soon as I get out of my car. It can take some time to connect so don't wait until you're about to tee off. 2 cents.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

i own the UPro Go and love it. i primarily play one course so its my Go course- which means i get the upgrades because one course is free. i turn it on one mile before i get to the course and just put it in my pocket and by the time i get to the tee box its ready to go. couldnt be happier

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Pro Mode is still worthwhile on your 'home' course, as in addition to the flyover hole preview (which you'd likely disable when playing a familiar course), it gives you a close up view of your target areas with all distances superimposed.. ie on a par 3, it automatically shows you the green with front middle and back distances added, and also front and back distances on all the bunkers, etc. Much more helpful in my view than the cartoon graphics approach that Skygolf, Garmin etc have taken.

• 4 weeks later...