Best of PGA Show '10... Fairway woods!!!

chisag

long, longer... longest!!!
… I have heard some say fairway woods are no longer an essential club. I am convinced the right fairway wood is still one of the most valuable clubs in the bag. Faced with a bunker 250 yards out when your driver travels 260-270, a reliable 3 wood will take that bunker out of play. For those that can reach a par 5 in two, a solid 3 wood is invaluable. And if you struggle to reach longer par 4's, a good 4 or 5 wood can mean the difference between putting and a pitching. So you can see why the demise of the fairway wood is a little premature and the smarter OEM's are offering 16.5 and 17* 4 woods for slower swing speeds and/or those that have poor technique. Last years winner was an awesome players wood with a small head that was not for the faint of heart. This year I was hoping to find something that was on the larger side but playable for both the 18 handicap or the single digit player. … Some Oem's have concentrated their efforts on smaller players woods or large forgiving woods for the high index player. Others have just continued to make conventional steel fairway woods with R & D assigned to their drivers. Thankfully, one company has continued to pursue technological advances in fairway wood development. In fact, their most popular club is a fairway wood and you will find it in every kind of golfers bag from a PGA Pro to the 18 index. Tour Edge's Exotic's division has continued to produce some of, if not the best fairway woods made over the last 10 years. They have developed a cult like following on golf forums, but have yet to be considered one of the major players like Mizuno or Titleist. I think a lot of that was a result of their pricing, which has been higher than the other OEM's. But for 2010, the Exotics brand is producing some of the best golf clubs out there at a price that is now in line with the other manufacturers. Exotic clubs were in the running for 3 of my awards this year and the XCG3 wins my Best of PGA Show '10… Fairway Woods!!!

… One of the reasons Exotics were priced higher than the other Oem's has been their unwillingness to compromise. David Glod, the CEO of Tour Edge, envisioned the very best clubs he could make when he started his Exotics line of Tour Edge clubs, and he chose the materials and construction process with no price limitations. Last years XCG-V fairway woods came with an Aldila Voodoo shaft. Not a very nice "made for" but a true aftermarket shaft that retailed for $299 all by itself. However, in today's economy, price is very much an issue. Thankfully, with success and volume comes lower costs, and Exotics is now able to build with the same quality, but sell at a lower retail price. Adams, Callaway and Taylor Made all have fairway woods priced the same or higher than this years Exotics fairway woods. Add the technology involved in their fairway woods like "combo brazing", cup face crown and tungsten sole weighting, and you can see why Tour Edge has had such a cult following. A runner up for my driver award, the XCG3 and CB3 Tour drivers are actually LESS expensive than drivers from Taylor Made, Nike, Callaway, Srixon, and Ping. I am mentioning the costs and pricing because some golf forum members have ignored the Exotics brand, turned off by their initially high price tags. No longer a niche product and now competitively priced, you can find Exotics clubs in Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy and all the other major chains.

… There is really one reason that Exotics fairway woods stand out from the pack. They have never wavered from their first attempts at building the very best fairway wood made using advanced technology with…well... exotic materials. When you weld different metals together, you get an excess of metal on that weld line. Some have better quality control than others, but the Combo brazing used by the Exotics brand is clean and efficient. "Exotics combines a titanium cup face and crown with a tungsten sole using our revolutionary no-weld Combo-Brazing process. The parts are chemically treated, pressed together, and vacuum heat- cured for permanent bonding without welding." Exotics use the most advanced technology available to build their clubs to exacting specifications, and the Exotics XCG3 takes advantage of the best of all worlds. The thin titanium cup face creates explosive rebound for the longest shots you will ever hit with a fairway wood. Others have used tungsten plugs in the sole, but these woods take it one step farther. One piece, the sole, sides and rear are tungsten for true perimeter weighting, providing maximum forgiveness on mishits. This is the first and only fairway wood to combine titanium and tungsten and the results speak for themselves. How long are these Exotics fairway woods? The XCG3 and CB3 are guaranteed to be 20 yards longer than the fairway wood you are now playing. If you think this is marketing hype, Jay Hubbard the Marketing Director for Tour Edge say's "It is hard to believe, but it is true for many golfers. If you think about it, you would never use a steel driver off the tee, right? Why, because titanium adds significant distance to your shots. 99% of all fairway woods on the market are stainless steel. The Exotics utilize titanium to deliver driver like distance so yes some guys are hitting monster shots. In addition, because titanium has a higher tensile strength the walls of the face can be made significantly thinner than a steel fairway wood for greater rebound." Finally the XCG3 and CB3 are matched with a Fujikura Motore, one of the hottest shafts on the market.

… The XCG3 and CB3 are very different fairway woods. The XCG3 has what I would call a normal height face for today's fairway woods. I think some OEM's have gone too far into low profile faces but this one should be just right for the majority of players. It is a big fairway wood and initially I thought there it would be awkward to hit off the ground. To my surprise, I was launching balls long and high. Off the tee it really is a mini driver. The better player has the option of actually choking up on the XCG3 to control their distance because it can be just as long as a driver. At 43" and 190cc's it is larger than my first "Pittsburg Steel" metal driver. The player that needs all the help they can get should love the XCG3. It is easy to hit off the fairway and it's confidence inspiring size makes it very easy to hit off the tee. I went to Demo day with high expectations for the CB3, but the XCG3 ended up a better performer for my swing. If you just don't like big fairway woods, you should take a look at the CB3, a real players fairway wood that refines the legendary CB standards. The CB3 is 170cc's but looks much smaller due to the deeper face and classic tour preferred shape. This creates a higher cog for lower spin and shots that can be controlled both vertically and horizontally. While the CB3 may not be as forgiving as the XCG3, it is quite forgiving for a player's fairway wood. The XCG3 can be worked side to side, and the CB3 can do anything your swing has the talent to attempt. Not having swung a club in 3 months I had a hard time getting the trajectory I wanted with the CB3. This was actually fortuitous, as it probably mirrored my off days. After a few days hitting balls at the indoor range and increasing my swing speed, I began getting the results I wanted from the CB3, but I had already decided I liked a fairway wood I could hit almost as well on my off days as the days I brought my A game. For me, the XCG3 is just that club.

… I am old school and prefer a solid, muted feel and sound from my metal clubs. These combo braised clubs are very hot and not exactly muted. They produce a louder than I like, higher pitched sound that faded away as I watched the ball soar to places I have never hit a fairway wood. I may not be young and hip, but I'm not obtuse. I'll take longer and more forgiving over a preferred sound and feel any day. When you get the results you want, you can quickly learn to ignore the other stuff. I don't even have to regrip as the Exotics come with a Golf Pride White New Decade Cord grip that I have on all my clubs and the hottest grip Golf Pride has ever sold. Last but not least is the Tour Edge Exotics Lifetime Warranty: "Tour Edge is proud of the quality standards engineered and manufactured into every golf club. That's why every wood, iron, and putter is guaranteed for a lifetime of use. Each hand-assembled club is the focus of meticulous attention to detail. In fact, our craftsmen perfectly fit each component of every club to offer you unparalleled consistency. That, combined with the highest quality materials, gives you a truly exceptional golf club experience." Tour Edge is right down the road from where I live. I have watched them grow from a small local manufacturer to a world wide presence. If you are in the market for a fairway wood, do yourself a favor and demo the XCG3 and/or the CB3. Heck, even if you aren't in the market, demo one and see how much farther you hit it. We are all familiar with the "honeymoon period" and with a head much larger than I am used to, it will be interesting to put the XCG3 into play this year and see if it continues to be as good as my Demo Day experience. I will post a follow up review this summer. Congratulations again to the Exotics XCG3, the Best of PGA Show '10… Fairway Woods!!! The website has additional information as well as some great pictures.

http://www.exoticsgo...-3-fairway.html

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great review! It makes me REAL glad I bought mine over the other choices out there!

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

Thanks Chisag...very thorough as usual. I take it the Cobra Pro is the demanding club you referenced early in your essay?

PS, was the Pittsburgh Steel a clone version of the Pittsburgh Persimmon? I don't remember that one.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Tour Edge got it right with the XCG3. Instead of making something completely different from the CB model (which they've done in the past), they essentially took the CB3 and made it a little bigger and the face a little more shallow. Still has the same clean lines, look and setup just a more forgiving package. An excellent club. i was leaning towards the CB3 but I smartened up this year (dumped my Mac Pro-C's for the more forgiving Mizuno MX-300's) and am seriously thinking about the XCG3. Especially since they offer a 4 wood.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='Redbird' date='12 March 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1268410285' post='2311381']
Cliff notes?
[/quote]

... Isn't it time to start looking into that GED??? ; )

[quote name='carrera' date='12 March 2010 - 12:14 PM' timestamp='1268417663' post='2311688']
Thanks Chisag...very thorough as usual. I take it the Cobra Pro is the demanding club you referenced early in your essay?
PS, was the Pittsburgh Steel a clone version of the Pittsburgh Persimmon? I don't remember that one.
[/quote]

... Yes, the Cobra Pro is the demanding but very rewarding 3 wood I was referring to. You're showing your age, something I was trying to avoid. You're right, Pittsburg Persimmon was the name of that Gary Adams designed metal driver. He went on to design the McHenry Metals that never gained real popularity. At least that is what my Dad told me. ; )

[quote name='Chunkylover77' date='12 March 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1268412223' post='2311475']
Great review again Chisag. I am now trying to narrow down my FW choices and the TEE XCG3 is on the list. Can't find anywhere local to hit it though
[/quote]

... I'd give Tour Edge a call. They are getting into more golf shops everyday.

After spending several years alternating between a TM 200, Sonartec SS03 and a Nike SQ2, I had the opportunity to hit the XCG and the XCGV at a golf show. The look (I preferred the smaller heel to toe look of the XCG compared to the XCGV) and feel of the club was wonderful. They trully make beautiful looking clubs. Although I was just hitting into a net, the ball seemed to explode off of the face compared to the other 3 woods I tried. Taking a chance, I recently purchased a XCG 15* 3 wood and had the chance to take it to the range and have a shootout with my other fairway woods. It is straighter and probably 10-12 yards farther than all the other offerings off the fairway and blew the others away off of the tee. I am quite anxious to get it out on the course this Monday. If it performs the way it did at the range, I am going to be one very happy camper.

Did you try the new Mizuno MP -Ti fairway wood? I really like the TE but the Mizuno sets up better to my eye launchs higher,spins less and is a little longer. The Mizuno is also $50 cheaper with the Fubuki shaft( which I liked) and the same price with a Motore. You should give it a try if you haven't.

[quote name='chisag' date='12 March 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1268444137' post='2312461']
[quote name='Chunkylover77' date='12 March 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1268412223' post='2311475']
Great review again Chisag. I am now trying to narrow down my FW choices and the TEE XCG3 is on the list. Can't find anywhere local to hit it though
[/quote]

... I'd give Tour Edge a call. They are getting into more golf shops everyday.
[/quote]

The GS closest to me does have a small section for TEE but they only have a couple of drivers. No 3 woods whatsoever. I hate GS

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I just received a CB1 3wd yesterday, purchased on Ebay for $43 (it's in perfect shape, great deal). I haven't hit it outside yet, but ran over to the local GG and hit it a few times. It has the stock Aldila NV 65S in it, and I couldn't believe the spin. 3300rpm or so consistently, that's as low as I've ever hit any driver in that simulator other then a R9 TP with a Motore. I rarely hit 3wd into a green so I the lack of spin is great, I want it as a club off the tee, and I'm thinking the reduced spin is going to make for a nice long club I can hit with more control then a driver. Feel was incredible on well struck shots, solid as can be.

[quote name='shepdog' date='12 March 2010 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1268456314' post='2312832']
After spending several years alternating between a TM 200, Sonartec SS03 and a Nike SQ2, I had the opportunity to hit the XCG and the XCGV at a golf show. The look (I preferred the smaller heel to toe look of the XCG compared to the XCGV) and feel of the club was wonderful. They trully make beautiful looking clubs. Although I was just hitting into a net, the ball seemed to explode off of the face compared to the other 3 woods I tried. Taking a chance, I recently purchased a XCG 15* 3 wood and had the chance to take it to the range and have a shootout with my other fairway woods. It is straighter and probably 10-12 yards farther than all the other offerings off the fairway and blew the others away off of the tee. I am quite anxious to get it out on the course this Monday. If it performs the way it did at the range, I am going to be one very happy camper.
[/quote]

... I have played all of the exotic fairway woods and I too prefer the XCG over the XVG-V, at least in the fairway wood line up. But Exotics learned from the XCG-V and made an even better fairway wood with the XCG3. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I hit a bunch of 3 woods yesterday at GS. I'm looking at getting a bigger head than the one I have now which is a Steelhead3. The Mizuno was nice but was about the same size as my current one and for some reason hitting off the tee with it is sometimes not very good. Hit the Superfast and like it. Hit the Fast 10 and liked that also. Then I tried to new FT-IZ fairway. Fell in love with that one. Off the tee it was a rocket launcher and very straight. Might have to look for some deals for this one.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

How's the face angle on the XCG3? Seems like TE makes theirs sit a hair open, at least to my eye. That's the only issue I have. I tried to play a CB2 for awhile, but couldn't get used to. I'm taking a hard look at the G15 as well...this seems to setup better for me.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review chisag,

I see that you're playing a Voodoo SDV7 with the XCG3 instead of the stock Motore. Did the Motore not agree with you? Did you or Tour Edge install the Voodoo? Or do you have the original XCG?

Thanks.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

[size="3"]I share the enthusiasm for the XCG-3. I have not been excited enough about prior TEE woods to consider a purchase at the high prices they command. However, my fairway play really needs help, and the XCG-3 is extremely forgiving, hot off the face, and able to get the ball up easily off the turf despite the large head size. I'm planning to purchase a 4 or 5-wood, but can't decide which shaft to order.

For those who have hit the current Exotics Motore shafts, how good are they? I have demo'd the stiff-flex Motore Red and the regular-flex Motore Tour White (both in a 3 wood), but haven't used them enough to figure out what they'd be like to "live with." Neither appears to be identical to the Motore F1 based on the specs. My swingspeed is around 95 mph with a quick transition, and I like a fairway wood that can get the ball up relatively easily but still has some directional control and doesn't feel whippy. Any recomendations on shaft choice would be much appreciated.

SDL [/size]

[quote name='schlebrock' date='26 March 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1269626232' post='2342503']
Nice review chisag,
I see that you're playing a Voodoo SDV7 with the XCG3 instead of the stock Motore. Did the Motore not agree with you? Did you or Tour Edge install the Voodoo? Or do you have the original XCG?
Thanks.
[/quote]

... I have found that the SDV7 performs perfectly for me in a fairway wood. I love the feel and the trajectory. Obviously there is a measure of trust in it as well. While the Motore performed OK for me on Demo Day, I ordered the XCG3 with a Voodoo SVS7, the stock XCG shaft and currently my favorite shaft. I put in the SDV7 to give me a baseline performance, so I can get a good comparison to my other fairway woods. I do all my own work and have a full workshop in the basement, so I did the reshaft. With temps in the 70's at the end of this week, I hope to get it on the course for the first time. I should know very quickly whether to leave in the SDV7 or put the SVS7 back in...

... and if you call in the next 20 minutes, we'll throw in a headcover at no charge. rolleyes.gif clearly you're sold, so i guess I'll take another look at them. i don't even have a fairway wood in my bag right now.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='SDL' date='27 March 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1269702008' post='2344103']
[size="3"]I share the enthusiasm for the XCG-3. I have not been excited enough about prior TEE woods to consider a purchase at the high prices they command. However, my fairway play really needs help, and the XCG-3 is extremely forgiving, hot off the face, and able to get the ball up easily off the turf despite the large head size. I'm planning to purchase a 4 or 5-wood, but can't decide which shaft to order.

For those who have hit the current Exotics Motore shafts, how good are they? I have demo'd the stiff-flex Motore Red and the regular-flex Motore Tour White (both in a 3 wood), but haven't used them enough to figure out what they'd be like to "live with." Neither appears to be identical to the Motore F1 based on the specs. My swingspeed is around 95 mph with a quick transition, and I like a fairway wood that can get the ball up relatively easily but still has some directional control and doesn't feel whippy. Any recomendations on shaft choice would be much appreciated.

SDL [/size]
[/quote]

My swingspeed is the same as yours and I went with the reg flex. I had heard from several others who said the stock Motore plays pretty stiff to flex, and I'd have to agree. It is by no means whippy and I really like the control I have with this shaft. For me, it is very consistent with a mid trajectory. Of course, it would be great if you could demo one before you buy, but it is hard to find these in some locations. Good luck!

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

Ragamuffin,

Thanks for the comments. Which shaft did you get -- the Motore Red (stock shaft in the XCG-3) or Motore Tour White (stock in the CB3)?

I just got back from playing 9 holes and taking every possible opportunity to use a demo version of the XCG-3 3-wood with an 80 gram regular-flex Motore Tour White. I think this shaft hits the ball a bit lower than the Motore Red, but it also seems to have somewhat tighter dispersion. I'm leaning toward getting a stiff-flex Motore Red in a XCG-3 4-wood or a regular-flex Motore White in an XCG-3 5-wood. I hope to play again tomorrow and see if it helps make up my mind.

I should add that the XCG-3 is a GREAT fairway wood! I've hit this club better than any fairway wood I've tried in years. Normally, I can't hit a 3-wood at all from the grass, but I did surprisingly well with the XCG-3. I expect that a 4 or 5-wood will be even easier to hit.

SDL

SDL, I went with the Motore Red, it just really felt good to me and I couldn't believe how consistent I was with it. I'm glad that you appear to be as happy with the XCG-3 as I am with mine. Enjoy!

Mizuno S18 50*/55*