SuperDeep Success

ignitewvu

[quote name='NPVWhiz' date='11 June 2010 - 07:39 AM' timestamp='1276256354' post='2502512']
I traded massively at GS for a 9.5 SD with the RIP 70S. I absolutely love the shape of the head and the feel/sound at impact. I had some reservations about whether they could get it right, having a 510DF and two 300 Tours sitting down on the shelf in the basement. No driver to me has ever felt as solid as the DF.

But...I just don't care for the RIP. It's probably a good fit for many players, but I got skittish when I bought the club and didn't do what I wanted to do, which was get the 8.5. I hit the ball high, but I read the reviews and thought that the 9.5 might be better on the first go-round.

I am so impatiently awaiting a 335 and 350 tip that I'm about to go nuts. I ordered the 335 from iheartburner, so that one is probably somewhere is a sorting facility in California. The 350 is supposed to be one the way via regular mail domestically, so I hope to see it today or tomorrow.

I have a lot of trouble understanding Taylormade's business strategy on the tips. I would have been down at Golf Galaxy purchasing two 335 and two 350 tips three days after I bought the thing. Knowing a little about the machining business, these tips could be sold at a reasonable profit. I called TM and they wouldn't even consider sending me two for the two shafts I've been using with great success in the last two years.

The head, as beautiful as it is, is worthless without the right shaft for the player using it. TM needs to consider that players that buy a club like that might not find their best fit among the handful of shafts they sell with tips already installed.
[/quote]

I so agree about TM's Tip Strategy its STUPID sell the lil f'ers.....

As for shaft, I too didn't like the RIP. I had planned to test the Fubuki73S, Whiteboard 65S TP, and a HD7 (My 3 TP Tipped shafts) but after 4 swings with the Fubuki there was NO reason to even consider anything else. Mid/High Launch super low spin and bombs away. If I were you I would try to snag a Fubu and try it out. They are a match made in heaven.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the question about whether TM has any configuration guidance for the Superdeep. I had the same question. The documentation that comes with the club and the information on the Superdeep site is not particularly useful. I found the site for the R9 460 TP a little more useful. http://www.taylormadegolf.com/mainlevel/golfshop/drivers/R9-SUPERTRI.html#30

I'm not sure the ball flight predictions apply perfectly, but at least the part on the left shows you the actual face and lie angles for each FCT setting as you click on the arrows to rotate the shaft image. In trying to find the best setup, that information was helpful.

There doesn't seem to be any similar guidance for the MWT adjustments, but there really doesn't need to be with only two weights. Toe weighted=fade bias and heel weighted=draw bias. The greater the disparity between the two weights, the greater the bias. And, obviously, you can adjust the swingweight by changing the total combined weight.

Hope this helps.

if you guys need the real supertri tips, victorycustomgolf.com has them

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Ventus Black 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Ventus TR Blue 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

i posted this in teh other sd thread, i have a 9.5 setup at TP setting and 16 in the heel and 8 in the toe (cut to 44.75") in teh 70x rip, and ive noticed slight toe hits go further than some flush hits, anyone else ahve this experience? its happened on multiple occasions, ball atually carriers further, its really odd, anyone else notice this?

[quote name='caboom42' date='11 June 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1276272683' post='2502932']
i posted this in teh other sd thread, i have a 9.5 setup at TP setting and 16 in the heel and 8 in the toe (cut to 44.75") in teh 70x rip, and ive noticed slight toe hits go further than some flush hits, anyone else ahve this experience? its happened on multiple occasions, ball atually carriers further, its really odd, anyone else notice this?
[/quote]

The club seems more forgiving off the toe than the heel. I rocked one off the toe yesterday and it probably carried 250 and by no means was it a good hit.

Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' date='11 June 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1276281057' post='2503237']
This driver has allowed me to drive with and past the big boys in my group. I am at least 15-20 yards+ with this driver, it's truly unbelieveable. I love this club!!!!!
[/quote]

Me 2, my boy is very very long hitter and never hits a driver....well guess what he just started hitting 2 weeks ago because I was smoking balls past his 3 wood. By far the best driver for me, on the planet. I have never felt the confidence on the tee box I do with the SuperDeep.

This thread made me very happy after today .... after reading it late last night, I decided to try out a different weight configuration, and cut it down to play at 44.5

Since I needed a bit more swing weight I used to 16 on the heel and 10 in the toe. Ball flight went up a tad, but a good little draw and a lot of rollout. I have hit this thing so well, it's in the bag for the next tourney. I honestly am thinking about buying a couple of shafts since I have 2 TP tips .... just to see what happens. I can't imagine hitting it better, but .... wouldn't mind just a LITTLE higher ball flight. Low spin monster = Superdeep and I am very happy so far with it.

[quote name='BP5168' date='11 June 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1276304468' post='2503935']
This thread made me very happy after today .... after reading it late last night, I decided to try out a different weight configuration, and cut it down to play at 44.5

Since I needed a bit more swing weight I used to 16 on the heel and 10 in the toe. Ball flight went up a tad, but a good little draw and a lot of rollout. I have hit this thing so well, it's in the bag for the next tourney. I honestly am thinking about buying a couple of shafts since I have 2 TP tips .... just to see what happens. I can't imagine hitting it better, but .... wouldn't mind just a LITTLE higher ball flight. Low spin monster = Superdeep and I am very happy so far with it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure how they measure them, but when I measured my SD on a Golfsmith measuring board it came out to right at 45", not 45.5". I trimmed mine to 44.5 raw, and tinkered a bit with the weights, ended up moving the weight out of the toe. I played one round with it and actually hit 9 or 10 fairways, but 4 or 5 were sort of weak cuts. Not my typical miss. It (the RIP) just wasn't the right fit for me.

I've been struggling with the typically wet conditions we have in the midwest. With a 9.5 Ignite 460 with an older Penley Stealth 70 X, I'm carrying the ball about 240 with a 13 or 14 launch and 3300 to 3600 spin. My angle of attack is +5 or so, so I'm adding a lot of loft dynamically. I've never driven the ball straighter in my life than I have in the last year with this Ignite (which in a way is cruel irony, since I've been such a critic of Nike equipment...but this shaft and head combination has worked fabulously well for me for straight).

But I can't get any roll. So I bought SD in hopes of bringing the spin and launch down. I got a little bit of roll during the 18 I played, but it was still a little wet.

I've got buddies that fly it just short of me and roll it 15 yards past even in the wet conditions. I'm looking for a lot lower launch just to get the ball to roll out a little, or a lot.

[quote name='BP5168' date='11 June 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1276304468' post='2503935']

[/quote]

i cut mine down to 44.75" and went 16 and 10, i also picked up a couple diff shafts, got a 73x WB and a 60x kai'li, both shafts feel a lil smoother than the RIP, but with the RIP i can really feel it loading better, just seems to work well in the SD head, all three are solid shafts tho, going to game the kai'li today, loving the smoother kick, spins a touch more than i would like tho, WB and RIP def launch it flatter, seem to get up quicker and flatter than kai'li

[quote name='NPVWhiz' date='11 June 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1276308382' post='2504039']
I'm not sure how they measure them, but when I measured my SD on a Golfsmith measuring board it came out to right at 45", not 45.5". I trimmed mine to 44.5 raw, and tinkered a bit with the weights, ended up moving the weight out of the toe. I played one round with it and actually hit 9 or 10 fairways, but 4 or 5 were sort of weak cuts. Not my typical miss. It (the RIP) just wasn't the right fit for me.

[/quote]

I noticed this too. I placed it next to two stock clubs and mine definitely plays to 45". It makes me wonder if Taylor Made is like this with all their clubs. Is the Superfast TP really only 45.5", and the Superfast 46"? I was planning to cut it down 1/2" thinking it would end up being 45", but now I am going to just leave it for now.

BTW, I love the club. I am longer and straighter than I ever have been before.

I am tempted to put in a Fubuki ever since I hit the combo at a demo day, but the RIP plays so well for me that I am having a hard time justifying it.

My 0.350" Supertri Tip arrived on Sat am in the mail...OEM as best I can tell from iheartburner's extensive photos and notes, but without the TM ferrule. They sent a little finishing ferrule that can sit atop the sleeve if you get really impatient and have to install it without waiting a few extra days to order the TP ferrule from another vendor.

Which, of course, is exactly what I did.

So now I have one of my two favorite shafts in the 9.5 SD....mid 70s X flex. I got about 45 min of range time this morning, and the amazing thing about this club is that you can move the ball anywhere. Left, right, and up or down. It's almost identical to the 510DF in that if you hit it high on the face, you can launch it, but if you tee it down just a little, I can drop 3 degrees off the launch. I can't tell much about the spin yet, but from the solid tee shots the ball looks flatter coming off.

I can still hit this thing pretty high though, but I'll need to get it out for round before I can tell if it will roll...and I have to expect that it will. I think I might have been able to go with the 8.5, but I'll give it 10 rounds or so, at least if it will dry out at all here in Ohio in the next month.

Once the other tip arrives, I can pull the old Penley ETA TX from my SQTour 10.5, which just launches too high as well, and see if one of the two shafts will get the trajectory and roll on track. My buddies outdrive me with these 9 deg launch bullets while I'm hitting 13 and 14 degree rainmakers with the old Ignite 9.5.

The swap from the Ignite to the SD was almost perfect on length. The 44.25" shaft came out just an 1/8 or so longer on the SD.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='dbornack' timestamp='1276549090' post='2508849']
[quote name='blades1960' date='14 June 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1276544235' post='2508626']
Are we adding loft when we are on R and decreasing loft going to L? If so by how much?
[/quote]

Opposite... opening the face brings down the effective loft, while closing the face increases effective loft. Hard to wrap your head around, but it's true. I play mine in the R setting, and just for giggles, I put it to L. Ball was launching WAY higher.
[/quote]

I have seen parts of the course I have never seen with this driver, and in just 3 rounds. My problem is hitting the ball right at the equator of the club, as opposed to slightly above which is what I am looking for. When I hit it at equator it is lower and don't get the distance. Obviously setup and better swing path would help but which setting would help this, if any. I think upright would make me hit it lower on club, but the club actually looks better at upright than standard for whatever reason. I have had it at one degree open but plan on trying square since my only misses after 3 rounds is a block with slight fade. no duck hooks which is nice. Any advice on hitting it higher on driver face would be helpful. The obvious reply would be teeing it up higher but that rely hasn't worked consistently.

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1274924606' post='2469634']
I'm just curious as to know how the rest of you guys are hitting your SuperDeep and what are you setups? I am destroying mine to the point my playing partners just shake their heads after I tee off. :blind:

I'm hitting a 9.5 set to NU 8 Heel 6 Toe with a Fubuki 73S TM Graphics

My ballflight is the prettiest slight draw I've ever seen from a hacker. Ball just explodes off the clubface, carries, and then rolls. Its almost looks like I know what I'm doing out there. I've always been a high spin guy and hated big MOI Drivers when I put the SD down to frame the ball all I want to do is kill it!!!!!!
[/quote]

I started with the same set-up but 10.5 I then went to the same exact set-up and have been hitting lazers....

weights are exactly the same too.

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

what are your guys's swing speed and tempo? Mine is around 108-112 with a medium tempo...kinda stuck between stiff and extra stiff...My take away is at a moderate speed and I hold a bit at the top so there isn't much "loading"...I guess I can change that...but just kinda stuck on shafts...

GBB Epic Fujikura Pro74s
G25 4W Kai'li 80s
G25 20* UST VTS Silver 100s
Nike Vapor PC 4-AW
SM6 54F/58S

[quote name='OkieM3' timestamp='1274935723' post='2470078']
You guys are making me rethink my 282. I'm a huge club ho, but have stuck with the 282 for a couple of seasons now. I may have to save up some jack to get one of these for a test drive.
[/quote]

IMO, don't do it. The 282 is a much better driver then the SD. Take it from a guy that has 282, and demoed a few Superdeeps. No comparison.

--jason

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='proguy' timestamp='1282020246' post='2643951']
[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1274924606' post='2469634']
I'm just curious as to know how the rest of you guys are hitting your SuperDeep and what are you setups? I am destroying mine to the point my playing partners just shake their heads after I tee off. :blind:

I'm hitting a 9.5 set to NU 8 Heel 6 Toe with a Fubuki 73S TM Graphics

My ballflight is the prettiest slight draw I've ever seen from a hacker. Ball just explodes off the clubface, carries, and then rolls. Its almost looks like I know what I'm doing out there. I've always been a high spin guy and hated big MOI Drivers when I put the SD down to frame the ball all I want to do is kill it!!!!!!
[/quote]

I started with the same set-up but 10.5 I then went to the same exact set-up and have been hitting lazers....

weights are exactly the same too.
[/quote]

I wouldnt lie, I'm normally horrid off the Tee not with this set up. It almost automatic.......

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a new shaft for my superdeep. I had the Matrix HD 6 x stiff and was hitting it long but was spraying it everywhere. I got a fubuki alpha 70 x stiff. The fubuki is 10 grams heavier and has made a world of difference. The club has a more solid feel at impact and the overall weight feels great. I think the distance is about the same but i'm a lot more consistent with the fubuki. I have mine set up in the "N" position with a 8gr in heel and 6gr in the toe.

Just got my Superdeep on Friday, so I'm still getting used to it and still might end up tweaking it a bit from how I have it currently set up, but I seem to be moving in the right direction.
Unfortunately, my first swing with it was on the first tee on Saturday -- we had an early tee time, and it had been raining/windy, so we didn't have a chance to hit the range beforehand. I hit my first couple of fairways, but after that, I started getting wild with it. I had it set to the TP setting, with the 8g weight in the toe, and the 10g in the heel. I'm sure a lot of it was my swing being off, but I was dealing with a two way miss, which is not a recipe for confidence when stepping up to the tee. I played 36 holes on Saturday, and couldn't really develop any consistency, hitting only about 40% of fairways, and with about a half dozen disastrous misses.
Saturday night, I changed the weights to put the 16g in the toe and the 14g in the heel, because my primary miss had been a hook, and I figured putting the slightly heavier weight in the toe could help promote a straighter ball. I was able to get to the course earlier on Sunday and hit some balls before the round, and the ball was fading more than I like, so I set the FCT to neutral, and that really seemed to do the trick. I hit 8 of 11 fairways with the driver yesterday, and only one of those misses really hurt. I was still hitting a slight draw, but it seemed much harder to overcook it than when I was swinging it at the lower weight, while still getting pretty good distance. It was hard to compare how far I was hitting the SD compared to my R9TP, since it was in the mid-50s, and I had about two drives all weekend that rolled at all (soggy fairways).
I took both drivers to the range at lunch today, and it appears that on well struck shots, the SD is a few yards longer than the R9TP, and the SD is more forgiving in toe shots, while the R9TP loses a little less on heel contact. With the heavier weights, the SD feels like a sledgehammer compared to the R9 -- even with the lighter weights I was using originally, the SD feels heavier, but I like the feel, because it seems like I can feel the head better during the swing.

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is any significant effect on the spin rate by adding or subtracting weight from the clubhead?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1285608089' post='2716265']
Just got my Superdeep on Friday, so I'm still getting used to it and still might end up tweaking it a bit from how I have it currently set up, but I seem to be moving in the right direction.
Unfortunately, my first swing with it was on the first tee on Saturday -- we had an early tee time, and it had been raining/windy, so we didn't have a chance to hit the range beforehand. I hit my first couple of fairways, but after that, I started getting wild with it. I had it set to the TP setting, with the 8g weight in the toe, and the 10g in the heel. I'm sure a lot of it was my swing being off, but I was dealing with a two way miss, which is not a recipe for confidence when stepping up to the tee. I played 36 holes on Saturday, and couldn't really develop any consistency, hitting only about 40% of fairways, and with about a half dozen disastrous misses.
Saturday night, I changed the weights to put the 16g in the toe and the 14g in the heel, because my primary miss had been a hook, and I figured putting the slightly heavier weight in the toe could help promote a straighter ball. I was able to get to the course earlier on Sunday and hit some balls before the round, and the ball was fading more than I like, so I set the FCT to neutral, and that really seemed to do the trick. I hit 8 of 11 fairways with the driver yesterday, and only one of those misses really hurt. I was still hitting a slight draw, but it seemed much harder to overcook it than when I was swinging it at the lower weight, while still getting pretty good distance. It was hard to compare how far I was hitting the SD compared to my R9TP, since it was in the mid-50s, and I had about two drives all weekend that rolled at all (soggy fairways).
I took both drivers to the range at lunch today, and it appears that on well struck shots, the SD is a few yards longer than the R9TP, and the SD is more forgiving in toe shots, while the R9TP loses a little less on heel contact. With the heavier weights, the SD feels like a sledgehammer compared to the R9 -- even with the lighter weights I was using originally, the SD feels heavier, but I like the feel, because it seems like I can feel the head better during the swing.

I was wondering, does anyone know if there is any significant effect on the spin rate by adding or subtracting weight from the clubhead?
[/quote]

yes it dose i just posted the r9 fitting guide on wrk shop should be the same for superdeep

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1285608089' post='2716265']

[/quote]

What shaft and loft are you using?

[quote name='whiteflash' timestamp='1285612091' post='2716408']
What shaft and loft are you using?
[/quote]
RIP 70X, 9.5 degrees

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Got a 10.5* w/R.I.P. 60 regular!!! mid-high kick and stiff tip makes it play setting(1* open for lefty) weights are 10 toe 4 heel......I did however change grips to a KARAKAL so will try a 8 toe 4 heel......

The low spin properties fit me beyond belief.....truly an amazing driver!!! Not sure as to why more players aren't giving it a fair shot....MWT works.....FCT works.....any shaft your heart desires.......what more could you want from a BIG Dawg???

Really struggling with this club over the four rounds I played with it most recently. I tweaked the weight setup a little bit, but I think the shaft may be the bigger issue. I think the RIP 70X may be a bit much for me, as some of my misses are off the planet bad -- mainly blocks that start out 20 yards right and keep going further right. My good shots are really good -- really long, even in some cold, windy conditions, but the bad misses are disastrous. After struggling with it during a round yesterday, I switched out the RIP for the Motore F1 75 that I had in my R9TP, and hit probably 20 or so balls with it on the range. It did seem to be a big improvement. I took it out to the range again today, and I'm hopeful that this is going to be a better fit. It's hard to tell how much of this is club and how much is my jacked up swing. I've been struggling off the tee for a lot of this season, and I really need to get some things figured out, so changing drivers at this time probably wasn't the best idea, but I think this can be a good club for me, once I get some things corrected