SuperDeep Success

ignitewvu

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1286216563' post='2727891']
Really struggling with this club over the four rounds I played with it most recently. I tweaked the weight setup a little bit, but I think the shaft may be the bigger issue. I think the RIP 70X may be a bit much for me, as some of my misses are off the planet bad -- mainly blocks that start out 20 yards right and keep going further right. My good shots are really good -- really long, even in some cold, windy conditions, but the bad misses are disastrous. After struggling with it during a round yesterday, I switched out the RIP for the Motore F1 75 that I had in my R9TP, and hit probably 20 or so balls with it on the range. It did seem to be a big improvement. I took it out to the range again today, and I'm hopeful that this is going to be a better fit. It's hard to tell how much of this is club and how much is my jacked up swing. I've been struggling off the tee for a lot of this season, and I really need to get some things figured out, so changing drivers at this time probably wasn't the best idea, but I think this can be a good club for me, once I get some things corrected
[/quote]

First round with the new setup was encouraging. I played a really tight course and kept it in or close to the fairway on all but two holes, and one of them was a matter of not knowing the course and blowing it through a dogleg. The big block-slice did not make an appearance, and I hit a few absolute bombs. I'm still thinking about having the butt end of the shaft trimmed down by about 0.75" to get it to 44.5" to give me a bit more control, but I'll probably play with it as is for a few more rounds before making any other changes.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TMAG-FireMedic' timestamp='1285692887' post='2718143']
Got a 10.5* w/R.I.P. 60 regular!!! mid-high kick and stiff tip makes it play setting(1* open for lefty) weights are 10 toe 4 heel......I did however change grips to a KARAKAL so will try a 8 toe 4 heel......

The low spin properties fit me beyond belief.....truly an amazing driver!!! Not sure as to why more players aren't giving it a fair shot....MWT works.....FCT works.....any shaft your heart desires.......what more could you want from a BIG Dawg???
[/quote]

*****UPDATE*****
Four rounds under my belt; Five, count'em Five(5) Fairways Missed!!! Sorry but this driver is the truth!! Remember,I'm a low speed guy and the 10.5* RIP 60 Regular plays just perfect for mid-90's speed..... the misses were a non-warmed up block....and a change in setup pull....Once setup stayed consistent, I out drover my friend by 10-20 on most holes....He did get me by 10yds on 2 holes that I toe'd my SD....10yds....When with both hit it square, I was easily 10-20yds ahead!!

OBTW I added a Ghost, a TP Hybrid and a 2nd XFT wedge!!! Continue Taylormade.....just continue....

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1274924606' post='2469634']
I'm just curious as to know how the rest of you guys are hitting your SuperDeep and what are you setups? I am destroying mine to the point my playing partners just shake their heads after I tee off. :blind:

I'm hitting a 9.5 set to NU 8 Heel 6 Toe with a Fubuki 73S TM Graphics

My ballflight is the prettiest slight draw I've ever seen from a hacker. Ball just explodes off the clubface, carries, and then rolls. Its almost looks like I know what I'm doing out there. I've always been a high spin guy and hated big MOI Drivers when I put the SD down to frame the ball all I want to do is kill it!!!!!!
[/quote]

I second that.

TP with Aldila RIP stiff. NU setup with 16 heel and 1 toe. My natural shot is a fade, but with this setup, I hit bomb draws all day. The feedback makes you feel like you just crushed the ball and it is screaming all the way down the fairway. I also find it to be pretty forgiving on off center hits.

REALLY encouraged by today's round -- hit 7 of 10 fairways with it, and one of the ones I missed was when I blew it through the fairway and into a bunker that I've never reached before. I was working the ball left to right when I wanted, and most of the other drives were straight. The way I was hitting it off the tee put me in position to attack the par 5s, to the tune of -4 (5 par 5s on this course) on those holes.
After being frustrated to the point of wanting to shut it down for the year with the RIP, I think the Motore F1 75 and the SD head is a winning combination for me.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I have been trying to find the combination that was going to surpass my Supequad/ Project X-8A4 combo. The Miyazaki Kusala Black 83-X is close, but it didn't quite do it. Same with Oban Devotion 8 05 flex. Launched too high.

Going with a known shaft, I dropped a Project X 7A3 prototype in the head. Back in business! I reached out and touched a few today and got back the ridiculous launch, spin, and distance that I used to have with the old driver.

I'm going to hunt down another 8A4 to stick in there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The 7A3 feels just like the old Superquad. Rock solid. But the shaft interchangability and multiple angles is a bonus.

It's on like Donkey Kong.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I'm just curious as to know how the rest of you guys are hitting your SuperDeep and what are you setups? I am destroying mine to the point my playing partners just shake their heads after I tee off. :blind:

My ballflight is the prettiest slight draw I've ever seen from a hacker. Ball just explodes off the clubface, carries, and then rolls. Its almost looks like I know what I'm doing out there. I've always been a high spin guy and hated big MOI Drivers when I put the SD down to frame the ball all I want to do is kill it!!!!!!
[/quote]

Loving mine. 10.5 NU 14 heel, 6 toe RIP 70X 3/4 short.

Normal Swing is a decent draw, but I can cut it at will.

I have the stock S and have tried the fubuki x. The fubuki made the club even better. Although the length is a bit more on rip, so far I have had limited time with both. The value on the sd with weight kit, the look and feel of the club, I'm enjoying it very much. I see the alpha mentioned above...wonder about that one vs. the reg fubuki?! Anyone!?

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1286756963' post='2737319']
I have been trying to find the combination that was going to surpass my Supequad/ Project X-8A4 combo. The Miyazaki Kusala Black 83-X is close, but it didn't quite do it. Same with Oban Devotion 8 05 flex. Launched too high.

Going with a known shaft, I dropped a Project X 7A3 prototype in the head. Back in business! I reached out and touched a few today and got back the ridiculous launch, spin, and distance that I used to have with the old driver.

I'm going to hunt down another 8A4 to stick in there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The 7A3 feels just like the old Superquad. Rock solid. But the shaft interchangability and multiple angles is a bonus.

It's on like Donkey Kong.
[/quote]

Brad.....you need to set your Dad up in one.....10.5* loft and shaft of choice of course!!!

[quote name='TMAG-FireMedic' timestamp='1286758712' post='2737359']
Brad.....you need to set your Dad up in one.....10.5* loft and shaft of choice of course!!!
[/quote]

The Old Guy need more launch and spin. SuperTri would be a better option for him. I'm waiting for a lefty 11.5° and then we can talk. Between his Superquad and 9015D, he certainly not hurting...

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1286760363' post='2737397']
[quote name='TMAG-FireMedic' timestamp='1286758712' post='2737359']
[/quote]

The Old Guy need more launch and spin. SuperTri would be a better option for him. I'm waiting for a lefty 11.5° and then we can talk. Between his Superquad and 9015D, he certainly not hurting...
[/quote]

Even though I'm low launch,I'm mid-high spin.....and the spin reducing properties have gained me 20+ yds!!! no lie!! Both Supertri and R9 460 have entirely too much spin for my paltry swing and the SD with the strong regular(oxy-moron) fits beyond belief!!! Shaping is back but primarily a Martin Kaymer-esque fade is the norm....spin being reduced , it flies more like a tight righty draw....1* open with 10g in toe , 4g in heel.....only missed 5 fwys in first 4 rounds....love the smaller profile too....very >400cc looking

• 2 weeks later...

I think it goes 1, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, but I'm going from memory.

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1286757415' post='2737334']
I have the stock S and have tried the fubuki x. The fubuki made the club even better. Although the length is a bit more on rip, so far I have had limited time with both. The value on the sd with weight kit, the look and feel of the club, I'm enjoying it very much. I see the alpha mentioned above...wonder about that one vs. the reg fubuki?! Anyone!?
[/quote]

Seems like everyone who has put the fubuki in the SD has had success. I'm gonna pick up a alpha 70s and see what gives, I would assume with the alpha the ball flight will lower slightly.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1287791536' post='2754845']
[/quote]

Seems like everyone who has put the fubuki in the SD has had success. I'm gonna pick up a alpha 70s and see what gives, I would assume with the alpha the ball flight will lower slightly.
[/quote]
I put the Fubuki 70x in mine last weekend. Only have two range sessions in so far but the results have been promising. The extra launch angle is going to make this a winning combo Im sure.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

I've gamed the SD with a RIP alpha at 44.75 and with a GD LDA Throttle. Both shafts are great, but I have to give the edge right now to the Throttle. For 40 bucks, that is quite the shaft. The SD is not the easiest to hit drivers, but I have hit some real bombs with it. Right now I've got the RIP in it, N setting 12 in the heel and 8 in the toe. With the Throttle I've gotten the best results with a 10 in the heel and 6 in the toe on N. The throttle is playing at 45.25".

The last two years my main gamer has been the R7 CGB Max Limited with a variety of shafts. This summer I've been maintaining my average drive pretty religiously with the Garmin G5. Probably had 200-300 in the average with the R7 and it was 285. With only a couple of rounds with the SD the average is up to 290. Five yards may not seem like a lot, but I've only got about 20 drives with the SD into that average. That yardage is total distance, carry is about 270. I think it's the roll out that I'm getting with the SD is what accounts for the increase in yardage, because the carry distance is close.

Wishon 919 THI 9* Talamonti PD 70X
Wishon 949 MC 14* Talamonti PD 80X
Taylormade 2011 18 Rescue NVS 90x Hybrid
Wishon 575MMC 3-PW GD X100 SSX1
Titleist SM4 52 amd 56* GD wedge flex
Never Compormise GM2 Exchange #5
WITB Link

[quote name='stg113' timestamp='1287853241' post='2755710']
I've gamed the SD with a RIP alpha at 44.75 and with a GD LDA Throttle. Both shafts are great, but I have to give the edge right now to the Throttle. For 40 bucks, that is quite the shaft. The SD is not the easiest to hit drivers, but I have hit some real bombs with it. Right now I've got the RIP in it, N setting 12 in the heel and 8 in the toe. With the Throttle I've gotten the best results with a [b]10 in the heel and 6 in the toe on N. [/b]The throttle is playing at 45.25".

The last two years my main gamer has been the R7 CGB Max Limited with a variety of shafts. This summer I've been maintaining my average drive pretty religiously with the Garmin G5. Probably had 200-300 in the average with the R7 and it was 285. With only a couple of rounds with the SD the average is up to 290. Five yards may not seem like a lot, but I've only got about 20 drives with the SD into that average. That yardage is total distance, carry is about 270. I think it's the roll out that I'm getting with the SD is what accounts for the increase in yardage, because the carry distance is close.
[/quote]

What kind of ball flight are you getting with 10/6/N?

Seems that a lot of you are playing it in the NU setting to obtain a draw? I always thought a flatter lie setup produced a draw and more upright a fade......am I wrong?

I am about to pair a 9.5* head with an Xcon 6 strong flex. Haven't decided whether to cut it down to 44.5" yet. Would love to be able to play it at NU but with a slightly heavier weight in the toe to ensure the face doesn't close down too fast.

[quote name='Justin_Ellis' timestamp='1287793428' post='2754890']
[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1287791536' post='2754845']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I put the Fubuki 70x in mine last weekend. Only have two range sessions in so far but the results have been promising. The extra launch angle is going to make this a winning combo Im sure.
[/quote]

I have a 70 alpha that I used in the SD. Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid long.. easily the longest driver Ive ever hit. Totally changed game management for my usual courses. Unfortunately, the SD punishes miss hits more than my R9s. So needless to say the SD is for sale.

But if you can hit it on the screws.... I think the Alpha/SD combo is one of the best

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

I'm just confused with mine right now. I KILLED mine today...in a way it was frustrating because I was playing my brand new R9 TP's for the first time today and on any par 4's that were 350-420....I literally was just going driver wedge...so I didn't have that much of a chance to get used to the irons (I know..poor baby) but the RIP is a bomber...but I too am confused as to whether or not it's the right shaft for me...my misses are HIGH blocks to the right and when I have the slightest hiccup in my swing...these come...then I over correct and it becomes snaps. I really don't know what it is...I know the Fubuki is not an option and I have a Motore F1 65 STIFF that my clubmaker tipped 1.5" and it just doesn't feel right now. Any thoughts or suggestion suggestions?

[quote name='CAGOFORIT' timestamp='1286734983' post='2736918']

[/quote]

I second that.

TP with Aldila RIP stiff. NU setup with 16 heel and 1 toe. My natural shot is a fade, but with this setup, I hit bomb draws all day. The feedback makes you feel like you just crushed the ball and it is screaming all the way down the fairway. I also find it to be pretty forgiving on off center hits.
[/quote]

Tried this setup today and for the first time was able to hit draws at will so thanks for that. The only funny thing is the SD I demo'd had a muted sound but the one that TM sent me has a high pitch, mean sound coming off of it. The ball just takes off like a bullet, 15 yds tight draw and a hell of a roll-out

[quote name='Jeep1423' timestamp='1287879127' post='2756149']
I'm just confused with mine right now. I KILLED mine today...in a way it was frustrating because I was playing my brand new R9 TP's for the first time today and on any par 4's that were 350-420....I literally was just going driver wedge...so I didn't have that much of a chance to get used to the irons (I know..poor baby) but the RIP is a bomber...but I too am confused as to whether or not it's the right shaft for me...my misses are HIGH blocks to the right and when I have the slightest hiccup in my swing...these come...then I over correct and it becomes snaps. I really don't know what it is...I know the Fubuki is not an option and I have a Motore F1 65 STIFF that my clubmaker tipped 1.5" and it just doesn't feel right now. Any thoughts or suggestion suggestions?
[/quote]

I may sound a little biased as I currently play the shaft I'm about to suggest...If you can find a shop where you can hit these, GO! I am talking about the Fujikura Speeder VC 6.0! This, IMO, is one of the best shafts that ever came out of the Fujikura R&D/production line. Very looong and with a very tight dispersion! You also know exactly where the shaft is from back to down swing.

I have my Sdeep set up 8-heel, 4-toe, Neutral-Right...and all I'm producing are either straight flights or baby draws...my misses to the right are slight fades. I have a SS of 104-107 and the stiff fit me just fine! Played this weekend on a wet soggy condition, yet I was still bombing it around the 270-280 range, consistently! My buddies are in awe!

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

My Motore F1 75x combo with the Superdeep is looking like a winner -- Played 36 holes on Sunday and missed 4 fairways all day (two were bad swings that resulted in hooks and penalty shots, but those were Indian, not arrow). And it wasn't just accurate, it was LONG. Longest driver I've ever hit, hands down. I'm in love...until the next day that my swing is off and I can't keep it in play. :russian_roulette:

I've got a VC 7.1 on the way! I'm building it at 44.50", a bit shorther than the 44.75" I'm currently at with my throttle. I'm hoping to end up with a super low spin, accurate setup here. I will report back with my findings after a few rounds. I'm really enjoying the throttle, but I'm on a mission to try this shaft, as well as the ahina, and project x 7a3, before settling on a winner.

Just got a superdeep head and putting my Xcon 6 in it at 45.25". I just threw in a 10g and 8g weight to start with but not sure if that is enough weight with the lighter than 70g shaft to get it back to standard swingweight. Anyone have any ideas, I can put in a 12 and a 10 to take the weight up a little more?

I'll try hitting and tweak the swingweight but just wanted to have a good starting point.
Thanks

FWIW when I first got my SD I did not really care for the RIP 70S. It felt dead, like a pool cue. I played it with a Fubuki 73S but it was uninspiring, 240 carries at best. Yesterday I played around with the weights and have 10 toe and 16 heal...WOW what a difference with some weight in the head. I could feel the shaft working and the balls were like rockets. 280 carry on average and a couple of 300+

Anyone else have a similar experience with adding weight?

I'm a little late to the SeperDeep party. I just got my 8.5 SD and absolutely love it. I have mine set up with 16 heel & 1 toe in the NU position (don't judge me). I put an aftermarket Motore F1-65 in it. It really is an unbelievable driver. The trade-off in my mind is the distance loss on off-center hits. It's definitely more noticable than my SuperFast. But, I love the feel, look and overall performance of the SuperDeep. It feels strange not to be on the lookout for a new driver. I'm sure I can find another piece of equipment to fuss about.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M