2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Are Scotty Cameron Putters really worth the money?

a lot of the fan boys are misinformed due to the marketing deparments hype. milled does not mean milled from a single billet, which would push the price way out of reach. milled means that they put a fancy milled finish on a cast putter blank. and all the hype over the german ss is all hype. any steel mill can produce any composition of ss its not like some special steel that only is availabe in germany. and for harder or softer feels that can be alot to do with type of steel and more importantly the heat treat. so if you want to buy into the hype than by all means go out and spend your money on a cameron. if not try out different putters and get what works for you, not what some fan boy or marketing department tells you is the best.

• Like 1

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1279896694' post='2594458']
I like owning nice equipment (this is very relative, seeing some of the exotic collections out there), so part of the "willingness to pay" is just that I like having a well crafted putter.
[/quote]

Good post, surely this is the same with everything in life. Why buy a £2000 Swiss watch, when a £25 digital will do the same job, why buy a Bentley for £100000 when a £15000 Ford will do the same thing, I could go on and on and on:D . Its about having choices and making a decision regarding what you like, what fits your eye and what you are prepared to pay.

If you are willing to pay for a Scotty then buy one, they are very well made and most for me are very pleasing to the eye.

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

[quote name='laxindon25' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
I really want to buy a scotty but is it really worth the money? It seems that there are many other putters out there that are just as nice as a scotty and only half the price. Is there something special about the construction of the putter or are you just spending money on the name?
[/quote]

That's for everyone to decide on their own. There are plenty of putters out there made the same way, with the same workmanship.

What SC does quite well, IMO, is create a custom fit putter for a player that works with their preferences for look, sound/feel, weight, etc. His team analyzes the stroke to come up with the optimal specs, then puts it into a package that the player is comfortable with. Usually this ia based on some Ping design which has some claim that SC is just cloning a ping. You could say that, but it's a very customized clone. That's why you see so many SCs on TV.

The other companies can do the same kind of optimizations, but IMO it's tuning all aspects of a putter to a player's preferences that's gotten SC his following among pros.

Thing is, that's not what you are getting when you buy one off the rack. Some of what he's learned goes into what he sells to the rest of us for sure. If you like the workmanship, performance, and the feel of an SC, all of that will probably be worth it to you.

But unless you're going to fork over some big money, that's different from the reasons the pros get them.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' timestamp='1279893721' post='2594373']
[size="3"]We were talking in another thread about Cameron putters, and the wonder Damascus putter, which most consider to be the best putter ever made.[/size]

[size="3"]Your question is, is it worth it, the short answer is of course, and to be honest [b]Scotty’s putters are probably worth more[/b]. [/size]

[size="3"]The feel of the putter is like nothing else you will ever try. Also, his putters are works of modern art. It’s not just a piece of sports equipment, it’s a piece of sports art. This is why Cameron’s hold their worth and are so highly sought after.[/size]

[size="3"]Your typical rube will scream that Cameron just copied an existing design and then was great at marketing. If so, doesn’t it seem odd that no one else has been able to pull this off? I have several Bettinardi’s, but they have nowhere near the feel of a Cameron. The old ping putters aren’t bad, but again they are nothing like a Cameron. [/size]

[size="3"]I guarantee you, if you get a Cameron, you will never look back and also be joining a group of golfers who enjoy the absolute best of the best.[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Don’t take my word for it, did you happen to see The Open this year? After giving the Method putter from Nike a try for three agonizing days averaging over thirty putts per round. The world’s number one decided he couldn’t live without his Cameron and quickly booted the Nike and turned in a brilliant performance on the greens. If the number one player in the world and one of the greatest putters of all time, if not the greatest, decides it’s the best putter to use, why would anyone use anything different? [/size]
[/quote]

That's a big fat negative!

Handicap:  3

[quote name='BuffaloSABRES#1fan' timestamp='1279895547' post='2594419']
ihave a yes and a circa 62 and it's not even close which one is in my bag! the YEs!!!
[/quote]

Not the best comparison. Circa 62 is by far not one of the better Scotty's.

I have a Studio Select Midslant and Love it. You may have to pay for the name, but they didn't get the name by selling bad putters.

I have tried all sorts of putters and FOR ME the Byron 006 Carbon's feel the best and set up the best for me...second is the TP Mills followed by the Circa Camerons (original gun blue version). I love the look of the Bettinardi's but the feel is just different enough I haven't found one that makes ME feel comfortable.

Are the Cameron's worth it...as it has been stated numerous times it is if the ball drops for you! :partytime2:

My favourite Byron has a few dings in it (bought it that way) but man I can putt with that thing. I have tried the same putter (006) but just cannot kick this beat up 006 out of the bag. My TP Mills Mini comes close...giving a Piretti CW II a shot now...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

I would have to say that for many, the answer is yes.....he sells them doesn't he? For you, I don't know. Does a $3000 Cameron 009 make more putts than a $100 Ping? For some, yes....but in the end, I believe it is the indian and not the arrow. People can spend their money on whatever they want...and there have been many times that I have chosen to spend money on camerons. I think some of them are very nice....and they work for me. I can say this about some other brands as well.

Some other examples.....Does a $500 exotic leather wallet carry your money better than cowhide.....not really, right? Does a diamond studded dog collar keep you dog on a leash better than a leather strap....not really, right? But in both of those cases, some would rather have the more expensive item. I have a somehat exotic leather cash cover....would a paper clip do the trick.....probably. But I still like it and will most likely buy another one when it wears out.

The thing is...you are the only one that can answer this question. If you want a cameron, spend the money. If price is a big concern and you don't want to spend that much, look around....you'll find a lot of other great putters out there. Just my $0.02.

Go out and roll some putts with one. Buying a cameron, or any other club for that matter, because of what it is rather than how it suits you is a waste of money every time unless all you want is to look good.

I own a cameron because it feels oh so good and fits my stroke perfectly. It's a laguna 1.5, and the headshape is actually pretty unique. I've looked at and tried lots of zing/my day stuff but can't match the feel and look. Thicker topline, different heel grind, perfect offset neck. I absolutely hate the glare and the huge Scotty Cameron stamped into the bumpers that stares at me as I stand over the putt. In the end, I simply make more putts with it than anything else I've owned. I also only paid $20 in tax for it after a $300 pro shop credit from a scramble win :)

If you can find a new Select for $200 I think it is well worth the money. Cameron's are great investments.

Titleist 917D2 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ s-70
Titleist 917F2 15 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ s-80
Titleist 716 T-MB 2 DG X100
Titleist 714 AP2 4-W DG X100
Titleist Vokey TVD-K 54, 58 DG X100
Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I understand a lot of folks don't care for Scotty Cameron and don't believe in them. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. My question is why it's necessary to bash my decision to game one and talk so negatively. There are a ton of great putter makers out there and I just find I prefer a Cameron. Is that wrong if I'm willing to spend the money because I want one. Somebody said it earlier. I can get from point A to point B in a Hyundai but I'd much rather do it in a Porsche.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

[size="3"]I guarantee you, if you get a Cameron, you will never look back and also be joining a group of golfers who enjoy the absolute best of the best.[/size]

[/quote]

Nope, I have a Scotty sitting in the garage right now because I have no confidence in it. You have to find a putter that you have confidence in and in my opinion you shouldnt care what name is on your putter. As long as it gets the ball in the hole I dont care who makes it.

I want a putter anyway, not a piece of "art"

I don't think many of you are answering the op's question. I think he knows that if the putter feels comfortable to the player he should use it. I think he's more looking at the hard factual answer.
[quote name='laxindon25' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
Is there something special about the construction of the putter or are you just spending money on the name?
[/quote]
What's the reason that scottys can go up to such a high cost in contrast to other expensive milled putters?

Nike VR_S w/ Diamana ION 'ahina 70s
Callaway Razr Fit 15 w/ UST VTS Silver 7
Adams Super 9031 18
4-PW Callaway X-Prototype w/ S300
Byron Morgan 006
Cleveland 50
Nike VR Pro 56
Tour Vokey 60

they are collectors items more than they are super high tech putters. imo, they are dated technology compared to other putters like rife, yes! and others. scottys feel great but a ton of other putters feel exactly the same.

the people who actually think that a scotty is a "better" gamer than other putters are out of their minds. they are very high quality putters but there are hundreds that are just as nice and some a lot nicer.

They are nice putters. I only buy used though.

Get to know the sellign prices of each and look patiently, you'll be able to pick one up at a good price and if you don't think it is worth it, get out without losing a lot of skin.

I have the Studio Select and like it, but do feel a bit pretentious pulling out a $300 putter when we get to the greens. It is hard to hide with all of those obnoxious loud cherry dots blasting "Cameron" everywhere. If I thought it helped me sink putts, this wouldn't bother me....but unfortunately after a year, it is a nice putter to look at, but it doesn't fix my putting woes. The weight is nice at 34/350. This is where an old Ping Anser and tons of others can't compete.

I have a C&L putter on the way to put up agains the Cameron to see who wins.

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1279834178' post='2593229']
I like my Button Back...is it worth what I paid for it? To me it is, I play a lot of golf and I like the putter so I don't really care what it costs. Could I pick up a $40 used Odyssey putter and make the same amount of putts? Maybe, maybe not. When you go buy a watch do you buy it because of name, looks, price, functionality? A $10K Rolex keeps time and so does a $10 Timex.
[/quote]

Great analogy. I bought a $35 Mizuno designed by TP Mills of Ebay and putted lights out in the past. I also have 3 custom TP Mills that I paid around $500 each. It is very subjective. I think I will stick to one and go with it, regardless of price.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

[size="3"]We were talking in another thread about Cameron putters, and the wonder Damascus putter, which most consider to be the best putter ever made.[/size]

[size="3"]Your question is, is it worth it, the short answer is of course, and to be honest Scotty’s putters are probably worth more. [/size]

[size="3"]The feel of the putter is like nothing else you will ever try. Also, his putters are works of modern art. It’s not just a piece of sports equipment, it’s a piece of sports art. This is why Cameron’s hold their worth and are so highly sought after.[/size]

[size="3"]Your typical rube will scream that Cameron just copied an existing design and then was great at marketing. If so, doesn’t it seem odd that no one else has been able to pull this off? I have several Bettinardi’s, but they have nowhere near the feel of a Cameron. The old ping putters aren’t bad, but again they are nothing like a Cameron. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Don’t take my word for it, did you happen to see The Open this year? After giving the Method putter from Nike a try for three agonizing days averaging over thirty putts per round. The world’s number one decided he couldn’t live without his Cameron and quickly booted the Nike and turned in a brilliant performance on the greens. If the number one player in the world and one of the greatest putters of all time, if not the greatest, decides it’s the best putter to use, why would anyone use anything different? [/size]
[/quote]

I actually read the Damascus thread, and only this poster thought it was "the greatest". He also said he planned on buying it, which brings his sanity into question. J/K

Cameron putters are nothing special. They don't feel better than others; they don't perform better than others.

What you get from owing a Cameron is name recognition and the feeling that you and the other kids at your lunch table are special.

Watched the Open Championship, too, and TW's putting after switching back was far from "brilliant".

Indian; not arrow. Ask any "rube".

John

PS: I've owned and used them all.

I've got a few Scotties. at the end of the day it comes down to a. does it setup for your type of stroke. b. do you like the appearance c. do you like the impact feel and d.does it put a good roll on the ball. there are a lot of putters out there, just have to try them out.

TM M5 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 
TM M5 14.5 Aldila Rouge Silver 
Bridgestone J38 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125S+
TM TP EF Wedges 50 54 48
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Rather than re-hash everything again, I'll just point you to this thread... [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/389997-are-scotty-camerons-worth-the/page__st__40__p__2551447__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2551447"]http://www.golfwrx.c..._1#entry2551447[/url]

For something a little older, you can give this thread a go: [url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/365032-is-a-getting-a-scotty-worth-the-price/page__p__2406876__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2406876]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/365032-is-a-getting-a-scotty-worth-the-price/page__p__2406876__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2406876[/url]

Going back to June there's this thread: [url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/326764-are-the-scotty-camerons-really-worth-it/page__p__2152898__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2152898]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/326764-are-the-scotty-camerons-really-worth-it/page__p__2152898__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2152898[/url]

If you want to [i]invest[/i] in a Scotty here is a related thread: [url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/314442-profitability-of-scotty-california-putters/page__p__2050352__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2050352]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/314442-profitability-of-scotty-california-putters/page__p__2050352__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry2050352[/url]

Here's a thread about expensive putters in general, Scotty gets a bit of press here: [url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/283165-expensive-putters-are-they-worth-it/page__p__1838786__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry1838786]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/283165-expensive-putters-are-they-worth-it/page__p__1838786__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry1838786[/url]

Here's the thread that got me banned for life from the elitist freaks over at Cameron Collector (and the reason I'll never own a Scotty):[url=http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/276277-can-a-putter-really-be-worth-1800/page__st__80__p__1799190__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry1799190]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/276277-can-a-putter-really-be-worth-1800/page__st__80__p__1799190__hl__scotty+worth+the+money__fromsearch__1#entry1799190[/url]

[quote name='BuffaloSABRES#1fan' timestamp='1279895547' post='2594419']
ihave a yes and a circa 62 and it's not even close which one is in my bag! the YEs!!!
[/quote]

Had a YES Callie when I tried a Studio Select Newport 2. Didn't want to spend the retail price, so when I saw one come up on here I snagged it.. Better feel, better to my eye, better putter for me. Been said before, but it's so true. Do what works for you and is in your budget.

You have to also consider that Camerons are timeless. Companies like nike and taylormade create random junk that in 5 years loses all value. Cameron putters are good because they give you real feedback. You don't have inserts that hide the true quality of your stroke. Cameron has always said that his goal in creating putters has been to make something that, when you set up to the ball, distracts you from mechanical thoughts and makes you think about feel. IMO, that's the only way to be a successful putter. Sure, cameron putters could be a lot cheaper. However, Cameron putters have had more success on Tour than any other brand, by far.

Don't get a Cameron if you're not a good putter. Your setup and stroke have to be fundamentally sound and, more importantly, you have to be able to consistently hit the sweet spot (as basic as those requirements sound). If you are at that point in your game, there is really no other way. Get a good cameron putter and build a long relationship with it. You'll find that you will have much more confidence on the greens in the long term.

[quote name='danielb180' timestamp='1280106914' post='2598738']
You have to also consider that Camerons are timeless. Companies like nike and taylormade create random junk that in 5 years loses all value. Cameron putters are good because they give you real feedback. You don't have inserts that hide the true quality of your stroke. Cameron has always said that his goal in creating putters has been to make something that, when you set up to the ball, distracts you from mechanical thoughts and makes you think about feel. IMO, that's the only way to be a successful putter. Sure, cameron putters could be a lot cheaper. However, Cameron putters have had more success on Tour than any other brand, by far.

Don't get a Cameron if you're not a good putter. Your setup and stroke have to be fundamentally sound and, more importantly, you have to be able to consistently hit the sweet spot (as basic as those requirements sound). If you are at that point in your game, there is really no other way. Get a good cameron putter and build a long relationship with it. You'll find that you will have much more confidence on the greens in the long term.
[/quote]

What makes a Cameron better than a Nike Method or Taylor made Rossa? Or better than the original milled putters by Mills et. al.?

Don't kid yourself, it is just a putter. If it makes you happy then it is worth the money; if it doesn't make you happy it isn't worth a dime. There isn't anything mythical about it.

[quote name='danielb180' timestamp='1280106914' post='2598738']

[/quote]

You came all the over here from the Cameron Collector to give us this?:russian_roulette:

Wow! Talking about waxing poetically while drinking Kool Aid. Amazing.

Scotty Cameron has officially gotten to be like politics and religion. I say we ban all further discussion of him.:D

[quote name='minteq' timestamp='1279833531' post='2593200']
I have tried quite a few putters, and to me it's worth every penny. The feel, IMHO, is unmatched.
[/quote]

[quote name='williamo' timestamp='1279833659' post='2593209']
I have also tried many putters and it is only one thing that always brings me to the Scotty Cameron Putters, the feel.

Putting is feel so that I why I pay the kind of money for it. I will never buy anything else than a Scotty again..
[/quote]

[quote name='laxwax' timestamp='1279833940' post='2593217']
There is definately a slight mark up for Cameron brand, but they also have performance to back it up. Like others have said, putt with whatever stick gets it in hole the most often and most easily.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dizz' timestamp='1279834178' post='2593229']
I like my Button Back...is it worth what I paid for it? To me it is, I play a lot of golf and I like the putter so I don't really care what it costs. Could I pick up a $40 used Odyssey putter and make the same amount of putts? Maybe, maybe not. When you go buy a watch do you buy it because of name, looks, price, functionality? A $10K Rolex keeps time and so does a $10 Timex.
[/quote]

[quote name='gboldman23' timestamp='1279836439' post='2593299']
Definitely paying for the name but they are quality putters.
Plus, they hold their value better than any other putter.
[/quote]

[quote name='asualum' timestamp='1279865343' post='2594084']
Definitely worth it. Best feeling putter on the market.
[/quote]

[quote name='Scaldy' timestamp='1279870953' post='2594129']
Just buy a used one if the price concerns you. I paid $200 for a Newport 2 last year. You can find some good deals out there. For $200 it was worth every penny...and if I had too I would probably pay the $300 if I had to go new. I personally enjoy the feel, quality and craftsmanship and to me that is priceless...to a point :D
[/quote]

[quote name='sidewinder0613' timestamp='1279917087' post='2595131']
You can buy a used scotty for the price as any odyssey, ping, taylormade ect. get it used, then it will definitely be worth the money
[/quote]

[quote name='jaebell' timestamp='1279917848' post='2595162']
Got a Scotty Pro Platinum Mil Spec back in '00 and still gaming it. $279 for almost 11 years of use...I would say they are worth it.
[/quote]

[quote name='KMoney34' timestamp='1279928835' post='2595464']
If you can find a new Select for $200 I think it is well worth the money. Cameron's are great investments.
[/quote]

I have to agree with the majority here... simple answer is yes, they're worth it... let us know which model you get!