HOW do you tell a friend ...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two friends that play the wrong shaft. One guy plays Rs when he should be using an X and the other guy hits Firm/S when he should be hitting R flex. The only reason I'd suggest anything is in response to a direct question. They haven't asked. In the meantime, I don't care.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The obvious culprit is your buddy's swing speed has declined....and maybe his ball striking is suspect as well. It may not be as simple as shaft flex concerns....as you believe.

I would remind everyone that the best selling irons of all time used exta-stiff lightweight shafts exclusively....with great results for many seniors. Maybe suggest using a lightweight grip to reduce overall weight in the club. that should increase his swing speed a little. iw ould also suggest telling him to swith golf balls after a proper fitting session.

Persoanlly, I've lost swing speed over time, but I'm still gaining Dynamic Gold Sensicore S-400's in my TaylorMade 300s. I have not lost any distance, but rather have increased my distance in the last 3-4 years due to better ball striking. I used to hit seven irons 150 carry....now my carry distance is 165+ with a slower swing speed and same clubs. When I swing a regular shafted club, my distances do not vary much, but my dispersion pattern becomes greater.

[quote name='hurricanes7' timestamp='1280684678' post='2611462']
borrow a demo from the pro shop with a lighter shaft and tell him you are looking at new irons/shafts and let him try them out. he will figure it out on his own
[/quote]

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1280739155' post='2612751']
You mentioned your own X shafts were getting marginal, why don't you both go and get fit together, you might also benefit from a step back to an S shaft as you seem to be hinting at. "Hey bud I am looking to get fit for some easier shafts that don't beat me up so much, want o come along and get fit as well...."
[/quote]

I'd go along with these guys. Tell him you've been thinking about going down a flex because you feel like your SS has dropped off a bit, got get fit with him etc. Allow him to come to his own conclusion and if he never decides to go with something different then you're both better off just leaving things how they are.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1280705254' post='2611987']
You don't ... unless he asks.
[/quote]

Agree, unless he asks for a suggestion it may be better to let it go for now. Some say to be straight out honest but for some peaople that is not the best route to go and may ruin a very good friendship, which could be more of a loss than a guy playing golf with shafts too strong for their current game.

Just wondering has he ever mentioned his struggles with distance loss or brought up the idea of trying other equipment themselves? That could be a good opening to give advise.

I play with a guy that has a really nice swing and hits the ball a ton. He has said on many occasions to tell him if I see anything wrong he is doing. That's fair.

I was at the range yesterday hitting a small bucket to warm up as I usually do. After three swings a guy sitting next to my 'space' said, "Can I give you some advice"? Well I was just swinging my sand wedge and not really getting into anything but said, "OK. He proceeded to tell me how much of an expert he is on the golf swing and said I was falling back when I swung, etc. I just stood there listening. I said thanks and didn't look his way again. It was extremely irrigating to tell the truth and next time I will just say, "No". I know what a perfect swing is and IF I could do it properly I would be on the senior tour. LOL I know where my faults are and am working on them and gaining ground. This week I shot an 80, 82, and a 41 for 9 holes. My index just dropped to less than 14 so I am very happy.

A new Superfast driver and 3 wood are helping to make this possible. I have never 'trumpeted' any drivers in the past like the Superfast. Taylormade did a tremendous job building this driver. It is helping players like me with slower swing speeds to get the ball out there and the 3 wood is just as impressive. (If this 3 wood had not worked out I was going to just use my 5 wood.) But I am hitting all my clubs farther at this time than I have in the last few years so I am a happy camper. All the hundreds of buckets I have hit this year seem to have paid off plus a few lessons.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Just let him work it out. But a decent mate should be OK if you give it to him straight.

I have played with tons of guys with far worse handicaps than mine all tricked up with s and X flex and out score them most of the time and more often than not out-gun them off the tee- at least in terms of being on the short grass (unless they are on the adjoining fairway) with my R flex.

I'd "buy" a certificate for a fitting and then give it to him as a token of friendship.

If he declines, based on your statements about your own game, you could use it instead, so nothing goes to waste. Sounds like you care about your buddy but want to be tactful. I applaud that and what I've suggested is the gentlest way I can think of short of 'gifting' him an r flex club of some sort...

[quote name='viperstudio' timestamp='1281517065' post='2631892']
[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1280705254' post='2611987']
You don't ... unless he asks.
[/quote]

I agree, don't tell him anything unless he ask you.
[/quote]

I agree. I only want swing and equipment advice from my teaching pro. Everyone else needs to bit their tongue.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1280243888' post='2602015']
A dear friend of mine who is now 64 years young (I'm 56) has been on a "power drain" for most of this year. His iron distances are down 10-15 yards at times from the yardages he played 1-2 years ago. He insists that it is his swing and ball-striking that are the culprits.

..................... But I know better.

He is still playing S300 shafts. His ball flight has become "rainbow-like" and there is no zip to the shots anymore. It is obvious to my trained eye that he DESPERATELY needs to make a shaft change to something more managable.

But here's the problem: HOW do I tell him that he needs to back off on his shafts without hurting his feelings or making him otherwise feel badly? I am still playing SLX100s (although they're getting marginal at times) and for me to tell him that he needs to change might not be well-received. I have played regularly with this friend for 3 years now, and I would truly like to see him make a change that would make his game more enjoyable.

But I am very hesitant to say anything to him.

Any suggestions?
[/quote]

There may be alot more going on other than just shafts. The design of the head may be wrong, length, grip size, lie angle, club weight, swingweight and maybe a couple of other factors. Your best response would be to get fitted yourself and the results of your fitting will inspire your friend to do the same. The suggestion of "shafts only" may not work, thus adding more confusion to the issue. The shaft does not create energy it only stores and releases it.

You tell him most tour players play DG S300...and they are the most conditioned athletes in golf in the world.

So he has NO REASON to be using the same thing...too stiff for him.

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1292988374' post='2853159']
I like to look at clubs on the bay, and it way easier to find any club in stiff than any other flex. I wonder if most people buy a vanity flex, then don't like the feel and dump the clubs.
[/quote]

I have a close friend that is a fitter/club maker and he says that 5 out of 10 people that come to him for a full fitting insist on two things no matter what the fitting results show, No.1 being stiff shafts and No.2 being not enough loft in the driver.
He feels that is nothing more than ego.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1280745689' post='2612781']
Raise the bets!
[/quote]

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1285538409' post='2715085']
Continue to double the bet until he figures it out...
[/quote]

Yea there you go. Keep adding more money, eventually, he'll check the ego to save the bank account