Boyne Highlands - Heather

Boyne Highlands - Ross Memorial (3)

Calderone (2)

Eagle Eye

Forest Dunes (2)

Fox Hills - Golden Fox

Hawk Hollow

Huntmore (4)

Kingsley Club (in 35+ mph winds yesterdayblack%20eye.gif)

Leslie Park

Lyon Oaks

Majestic

Northville Hills

Pheasant Run (3)

Pierce Lake

Stonebridge (3)

Shanty Creek - Summit

Shanty Creek - Cedar River

Shanty Creek - The Legend

Tanglewood (2)

Timber Trace (2)

Westwynd

And tomorrow -- Arcadia Bluffs!:clapping:

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3_Jack_Par

• odshot68

• Openwater22

• knickerbocker

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1283881021' post='2683462']
[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1283877509' post='2683364']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1283876786' post='2683341']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1283876408' post='2683329']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1283872656' post='2683191']
[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1283626257' post='2679176']
WTG Michigan....Thread on !
[/quote]

Thanks. I can see this going to the next level with some kind of Ryder Cup style Michigan WRX'ers vs. Maryland WRX'ers. Now that would be a riot! [b]GAME ON![/b]
[/quote]

Good luck with the thread!! Hey many of us Marylanders have been known to travel for a game...so you never know about that Rder Cup style match.

I've never played in Michigan although I know there is some top notch golf there. The closest I've been was on the 17th hole of Whistling Straits one time, my caddie told me I could get in a boat head straight across the lake rent a car and there were some fantastic courses within 30 minutes or so. I think he was being serious...if I had somehow found a boat :)
[/quote]

65 miles across to Leland, Mich. if I remember correctly. Did it in 2005, 2006, and 08'

[attachment=652508:pearl01.JPG]
[/quote]

Nice boat.... what is that a Tiara???

I didn't notice it hanging out at the dealership when I visited ;)
[/quote]

You missed the picture in my office. 2005 Tiara 32 Open, currently for sale BTW. U want it?
[/quote]

Tiara's really are gems...... very nice boat..... I'd love to have it.....but I am sure you will sell it long before I'd be able to raise the funds!

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1283887994' post='2683710']
you cant see the boat until next fall...we are taking a 3 day trip to kohler!!
[/quote]

next fall????? you going on a 3 month or 3 day getaway.......

Should be a great trip...... have fun and I'm putting the over/under number at 84

you cant see the boat until next fall...we are taking a 3 day trip to kohler!!
[/quote]

Should be a great trip...... have fun and I'm putting the over/under number at 84

[/quote]

I will take that bet. How much we talking onebowtie?? LOL ez money!!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[/quote]

I will take that bet. How much we talking onebowtie?? LOL ez money!!
[/quote]

Ok..... I am assuming from other posts of yours- you are definitely playing the TIPS....... and I am assuming when you say Kohler, you are playing Black Wolf Run, not some local pitch and putt in that area......

So big boy..... I am still putting the number at 84 at Black Wolf Run- from the tips..... and I'm betting OVER....... what say you???????????

I trust whatever you post as your score........ so speak now or take your puddle craft across the pond and have a great weekend at Kohler

My first Arcadia Bluffs experience has come and gone (sorry you couldn't work it out to join me, Jeff), and here's a few of my impressions:
[list][*]First, it's hands down the most beautiful setting for a golf course that I've ever seen. Being right next to the lake, the views are breathtaking. Thankfully, it was a nice day -- a bit of wind, but not howling like it had been the past couple of days.[*]However, as a test of golf, it still rates behind Forest Dunes and Kingsley Club for me among courses I've played in the state. Those courses have a better variety of holes.[*]If I had been hitting my irons decently, I think I could have scored very well -- the par 5s are all reachable in two for me (I only actually hit the green on one of them, but came up just short with a 5 iron on #1, hit a 4 iron over the green on #3, hit the green with a 4-hybrid on #5, came up just short with a mis-hit 3 wood on #11, and was just in front with a 3 wood on that slammed into the bank in front of the green on #15.[*]odshot68/Bill has mentioned the greens being very tricky, and I found that to be the case. On a destination type of course like this where there's not a lot of people who get to play it terribly often to learn the intricacies and nuances of the greens, I don't like that they require so much local knowledge. There were probably a half dozen putts i had that broke the complete opposite direction that I read. Now, I'm not exactly the best at reading greens, but it happened numerous times to me and my playing partners. Maybe I'm just bitter because I putted off the front of the 9th green...[*]Great course, and I'll definitely play it again, though I doubt I'd be willing to shell out the $180 regular rate.[/list]

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Too bad KG78, wish it ended differently, but thats golf. Lots of fun and competitive golf on the schedule for me........YEAH!

Club Championship this weekend, 3 day 3 man scramble with over 40K in skins and prize money on the line next weekend. Not a typo!

Odshot68's 3 day south west Michigan trip the following weekend and a 3 day to Gailes with my son and son-in-law October 8,9,10

One more thing before heading to the course....[b]GO SPARTY![/b]

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

we are in need of a 4th on a golf trip to southern michigan in 2 weeks...if anyone is interested let me know.

TaylorMade TP5

Little Traverse Bay (4)
Boyne Alpine (4)
Boyne Monument
Black Lake
Blackheath
Leslie Park
Birmingham Country Club (2)
Pontiac Country Club (2)
Rackham (3)

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

A few pics from Kingsley and Arcadia:
[attachment=656030:CIMG1212.JPG]
[attachment=656036:CIMG1215.JPG]
[attachment=656044:CIMG1247.JPG]
[attachment=656041:CIMG1252.JPG]
[attachment=656042:CIMG1257.JPG]

Anyone in the Southeast Michigan area played Dunham Hills lately? I'm looking for somewhere to play this weekend, and they have several $35 tee times available on golfnow.com, and I'm wondering if the discounted rate is because the greens was aerated recently, or if it's in rough shape or something.

Great pics Rich! Arcadia is visually stunning but the greens are excessive IMO. Kingsley is great, love the front 9. It has the best opening hole in the state. Love that place. By the way, did you hit the bottle on the 18th tee or enjoy the cherry chicken salad sandwich at Kingsley?

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1284505822' post='2696879']
Great pics Rich! Arcadia is visually stunning but the greens are excessive IMO. Kingsley is great, love the front 9. It has the best opening hole in the state. Love that place. By the way, did you hit the bottle on the 18th tee or enjoy the cherry chicken salad sandwich at Kingsley?

[/quote]

The bottle was empty! The guy who caddied for me told me about it and I went to get it out of the box, and I almost cried. Playing in the kind of gale I was battling, some whiskey was definitely what the doctor ordered. I loved the course, though, even if the wind absolutely beat me up. The first played pretty much into the wind, and the last was full jet engine right in my face. I hit a 6 iron from 130 yards and still came up short (it was a punch, but still!)

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1284511385' post='2697042']

[/quote]

The bottle was empty! The guy who caddied for me told me about it and I went to get it out of the box, and I almost cried. Playing in the kind of gale I was battling, some whiskey was definitely what the doctor ordered. I loved the course, though, even if the wind absolutely beat me up. The first played pretty much into the wind, and the last was full jet engine right in my face. I hit a 6 iron from 130 yards and still came up short (it was a punch, but still!)
[/quote]

I assumed you played the tips..were you able to get down the hill on the huge par 5..thats a poke. 18 is a bit$$ its always dead into the wind..I remember hitting a full 5 iron from 155 yards twice to 3 putt on the difficult green. By the way, how was 9...what a crazy tough shot to hit the green in the right spot. There are some cool holes there..I may be in the minority but I prefer it over Arcadia.

TaylorMade TP5

Crystal Mountain-both courses.
Shepperds Hollow all 27
Indianwood- old course (today first time ever)
Plum Hollow CC
Huntmore
Devils Ridge
Boulder Pointe
Lakes Of Taylor
Bay Pointe
The Jackal- lol
Yarrow
All Courses at Gull Lake, east, west, Stone Hedge N and S, and Bedford Valley

These are more or less the nicer places places I have played this year. Live in Oakland County and Pontiac Country Club is home course.

Going back to Arcadia Bluffs for 2nd time first weekend in October

Also must throw in on last years trip to Crystal Mountain a friend of mine whos Grandfather is a member at Crystal Downs got us out on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, unbeleiveable and will never ever forget that round!

[quote name='BadBilly429' timestamp='1284515059' post='2697188']
Shepperds Hollow all 27
Plum Hollow CC
Huntmore
Devils Ridge
Boulder Pointe
Lakes Of Taylor
Bay Pointe
The Jackal- lol
Yarrow

These are more or less the nicer places places I have played this year. Live in Oakland County and Pontiac Country Club is home course.

Also must throw in on last years trip to Crystal Mountain a friend of mine whos Grandfather is a member at Crystal Downs got us out on Sunday of Labor Day Weekend, unbeleiveable and will never ever forget that round!
[/quote]

Crystal Downs...thats incredible. I hope one day to experience it. I hear Indianwood is great too. Did you play the old or new course?

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1284515515' post='2697208']
[quote name='BadBilly429' timestamp='1284515059' post='2697188']
Shepperds Hollow all 27
Plum Hollow CC
Huntmore
Devils Ridge
Boulder Pointe
Lakes Of Taylor
Bay Pointe
The Jackal- lol
Yarrow

[/quote]

Crystal Downs...thats incredible. I hope one day to experience it. I hear Indianwood is great too. Did you play the old or new course?

[/quote]

We played the old course, we were scheduled to play the new course, but the starter switched us at the last minute. We won a gift cert in an outing to play there that was donated by a member, and it said new course only on a Tuesday. Id love to go back and play the new course but from what I hear and the people I talk too, the new course is much harder, tighter, alot of forced carries, and the pro there says the members hate it and never play it.........Crystal Downs was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, so glad we got to capitalize on it, the fairways there are like the greens I putt on most days!

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1284512216' post='2697071']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1284511385' post='2697042']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I assumed you played the tips..were you able to get down the hill on the huge par 5..thats a poke. 18 is a bit$$ its always dead into the wind..I remember hitting a full 5 iron from 155 yards twice to 3 putt on the difficult green. By the way, how was 9...what a crazy tough shot to hit the green in the right spot. There are some cool holes there..I may be in the minority but I prefer it over Arcadia.
[/quote]
Yeah, I did play the tips. It's not a terribly long course, but the wind made some holes real beasts. I did clear the hill on #17 -- I had a touch of help from the wind, but I did really lay into that tee shot.
I actually birdied 9. It was playing from the tee to the right of the 8th green. And got a little lucky catching the slope have it roll toward the pin. Made about a 12-footer.
I'd really like another shot at that short par 5 on the back. 290 yards or something, and I made 8!
I loved the course -- I'm trying to decide if it can knock off Forest Dunes as my favorite track in the state, but I think it's a tiny bit behind. It's right up there, though. So much so that I was trying to justify the cost of a national membership in my head. That, or chucking it all to move to TC for the season to caddy, so I can play it regularly...

Good job on the thread guys...you've got it going pretty well keeep it up. Now just throw in a little friend UM and MSU smack talk, club ho tales and you'll be good to go.

As for Arcadia Bluffs, I've never been to Micighan to golf but if I ever do I had planned on making it part of the trip somehow. It just looks stunning.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

This year has been a real dream year as far as golf goes. In the past 12 months I've played:

Private:

Barton Hills CC
Oakland Hills CC South & North
Franklin Hills CC (AWESOME BTW)
Inverness Club (in Ohio, but close enough)
Crystal Downs (in a 40mph wind...crazy, but amazing)
U of Michigan
Radrick Farms

Public:
Arcadia
Lyon Oaks
Tullymore
St. Ives
Bucks Run
and a few others

When i moved to Michigan from FL, i thought golf would be awful up here in the North, but Michigan has some of the best golf I've seen in the nation, and I've played a lot of great golf. Shortish season, but I'd put Michigan golf up again any other state and actually greatly prefer it to golf in the south.

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1284556748' post='2697800']
Good job on the thread guys...you've got it going pretty well keeep it up. Now just throw in a little friend UM and MSU smack talk, club ho tales and you'll be good to go.

As for Arcadia Bluffs, I've never been to Micighan to golf but if I ever do I had planned on making it part of the trip somehow. It just looks stunning.
[/quote]

CG2,

Here's some smack talk 4 ya.' May 2011, our 12 best against your 12 best. Ryder Cup style. Neutral site halfway. Did I hear someone say they can get us on Firestone! BTW, what's a Terrapin?

Dustin, nice list. I want to play in your foursome.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1284562696' post='2697962']

[/quote]

CG2,

Here's some smack talk 4 ya.' May 2011, our 12 best against your 12 best. Ryder Cup style. Neutral site halfway. Did I hear someone say they can get us on Firestone! BTW, what's a Terrapin?

[/quote]

Edit; OneBowTie, we'd invite you Tarheels but you'd prolly no show! LOL

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1284562696' post='2697962']

[/quote]

CG2,

[/quote]
Openwater... That does sound intriquing and interesting. We might have to settle for ANY 12 on ourside as opposed to the 12 best. I don't know about Firestone, but I know a muni in Dayton I could probably get us on :)

Funny you mention the Terrapin...I was playing with a buddy on Sunday, probably the best player in our group but he doesn't post much SHTERP and he has a Turtle Head cover, I kept slamming the cart cover down on top of his head and he told me to be nice to Timmy the Turtle. I said I thought his name was Testudo. He said "that's just a stupid name, I call mine Timmy" Still don't know what a Terripan is, but I can't speak there are so many disputes what a Tar Heel is as well :)

Hey, wait a minue isn't Easy from the Detroit area, maybe he could hook us up with a course in between that's wants to host the event in exchange for some promotion on the site.

As for Dustins list...we have a member on our side Priceless who has a very similar list of all our local must plays. Last time I asked him to join us he said he couldn't "He HAD to go play Caves Valley" which is one of the most private courses in the DC/Maryland area.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1284561751' post='2697937']
Rich,

You need to join Josh, Bill and I at Calderone and The Grande on sept. 26th. jackson is close to you.

[/quote]

Wish I could, but I'll be up in the Torch Lake area that weekend -- Playing Sundance @ A-Ga-Ming and Hawk's Eye on Saturday and Cedar River on Sunday. If you want to do something in early October, I might be able to sneak away for a day...