2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Caddie rates

thaus7

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I caddie the rates are as follows; Class C/Apprentice: 18 with a suggested tip of 8-10, Class B: 18 with a suggested tip of 14-16, Class A: 21 with a suggested tip of 16-18, Honor (Only 25 or so at the club): 25 with a suggested tip of 25. That is only for singling, once you get to an A at my club and you have about a year or two under you, you can start doubling and you make twice as singling, pretty self-explanatory. You will make less when you start and more once you move up in the ranks. It all depends on the course though, I know other people that caddie and make much less than I do and also people that make much more than I do, depending on the club.

depends on how high end the club is. I'm a c caddy at a high end course and average about 45 bucks a round. Rate is always based on how well you do as well.

Titleist 910 D3 - 9.5*- PX 7B3
Nike VR LTD - 15* - Motore F3 80s
NIke VR Pro Combo- 3-PW
Scratch Raw 8620 - 54* & 58*
C&L 350 milled - 33.5" - 350g
Pro V1x

Don't expect much your first year. I've caddied for four years and at two of the top private clubs in my area. The first club, I was at for three years. I made typically around $35-$45 per round and that was with a generous tip (base rate: $18). The next year was the same overall pay even though I moved up from a "B" caddy to an "A" caddy (base rate: $21). My third year there, I became an "Honor" caddy (base rate: $24) and a typical round I made anywhere from $40-$55. I won't get into detail, but I simply became fed up with this club and how its caddy program was run and left. My friend got me out on a club with two of the best courses in the state.

Let me just say, I caught quite a break in getting an opportunity out there. They only have six-seven caddies and its not a typical "Caddy Program" where caddies show up early on weekend mornings and wait to get out, sometimes not even landing a loop. This place called their caddies and simply told them to show up 30 minutes prior to the round (averaged about 1-2 loops per weekdays and 2 loops on weekends). On top of that, they had only heard about me as a caddy; they'd never actually seen me in action. Yet, they still made me their own version of an "Honor" caddy immediately (base rate: $35). I caddied a ton of rounds this past golf season there, and made anywhere from $55-$85 per SINGLE. A double I'd make $110-$160. I also got to chaffeur a couple of times where I drove the cart around while the members walked LOL. (I wasn't lazy or anything, the course that it was on can exceed an 8 mile walk and has a walk that is almost a mile in between two holes so the players like to have a cart available for that).

My overall point is this: be patient. The first club that I worked with, I was initially very grateful for the opportunity and was satisfied with the pay. Soon, though, I realized that the club did not value its older, veteran caddies over its newer, inexperienced caddies...and, not to mention, the pay could've been better. I saw an opportunity to caddy at a club with more loops available and better pay. I jumped on it and don't regret it at all. Since, I've even gotten a job working in the bagroom/pro shop of this club.

It's going to depend on the club you are at. The base rate at most places for started is going to be around 18-20 and if you get a nice tip you can expect 25-30$ per loop. As you move up it should increase. At my club the rates are 18+tip for a b 25+tip for a and 45+tip for an honor. But remember not all members pay the same and some don't follow that structure and just pay you whatever they want. It all depends on the member. I caddy for a guy in every tournament and match he plays in and I know to expect 80$ from him every time. So it all depends on who it is. Just make a good impression on every member and hope they remember you and it could land you a nice gig.

Place I work is pretty low rates until you get upwards I guess. Green Caddy (Low Rank), 12 plus suggested tip 12 (We call it 24 and thats "rate") so Regular is 28 rate, Captain is 32 rate, and Honor is 38 rate. I'm an honor and my average is 45 and there are many people who go low (rateish) and high into 60&70's for single bag. Doubles are different. Rates are low but caddies are low at the club so u pretty much get to pick who you want, and you can do 2 or 3 (depending on day) loops a day. So I make more than my buddies who work at higher pay courses because they go in and sit in the caddy shack and wait from 7am to 11am and dont even get a loop. I walk in at 7 and im out with the 7 or 7:10 group. Plus I do a decent amount of "Cart Runs' where u just "run" behind cart or Drive cart (which i've done surprisingly often. And in those i usually get 70 and up depending who and how many, like one time i caddied for a whole group of guests that a member was sponsoring and member gave me 40 and two guys in the group gave me 20 and the other two gave me 10 so 100 bucks. All depends.

Hope this helps,
Johnny

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

50 a bag on average depending on how well you do...usually more at club tournaments like the member guest

Times have sure changed.

When I caddied back in the 70's, the rate was $6 a bag. Carrying double with a tip was usually $14-$15 .A guy gave me a $20 bill once, I thought I hit the lotto! Every bag was a leather staff bag that weighed a ton!

We use to play Blackjack while waiting for a bag. As the dealer, there were days I made more playing cards than carrying clubs.

2004377520.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 2 weeks later...

We get $30 per bag paid by the course plus a required tip of at least $25 per bag although most people give the standard tip which is $40 per bag. We carry double bags so typically we're getting $140 per round ($60 paid by the course and $80 from tips. During the peak season we'll do 36 holes with double bags for each round and can expect close to $300 per day between both tips and our course pay.

For forecaddying we get $15 per bag and the required tip is $20 per bag so a forecaddy for a foursome nets the same $140 --- $60 from the course plus at least $80 in tips.

The fun thing about caddying is that you never know how much money you will make in any given day. I've been handed $200 tips from a single player and I've been handed the $25 minimum before. I've had days where I got out for two rounds and made $300-400 for the day and I've had days where I didn't get out at all and went home with nothing.

When I caddied 5 or so years ago it was [color=#1C2837][size=2]$40+tip right out of the gate. Tip was almost always [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]10...sometimes [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$20. When you were [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]2 or so years, you'd get out with a double almost every day (save for some crumby days) and get about [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]1[/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]20 combined. [/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]There's the McMillan which was a member-guest tournament that was a [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]3 day tournament. Our moms would let us skip school the money was so good. It was the most tiring [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]3 days of the year though. [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]3 straight days of [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]2 bags. You'd get a minimum of [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$400 for the weekend. If your member-guest won, probably closer to [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$500 or [/size][/color][color=#1C2837][size=2]$600. It was a crazy weekend. Glad I'm not a caddy anymore though. No more getting there at 6 am sitting around in the caddy yard for 6 hours not getting a loop.[/size][/color]

[quote name='CassinoNorth' timestamp='1296494611' post='2939856']
When I caddied 5 or so years ago it was [color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$40+tip right out of the gate. Tip was almost always [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$[/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]10...sometimes [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$20. When you were [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]2 or so years, you'd get out with a double almost every day (save for some crumby days) and get about [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$[/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]1[/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]20 combined. [/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]
[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]
[/size][/color]
[color="#1c2837"][size="2"]There's the McMillan which was a member-guest tournament that was a [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]3 day tournament. Our moms would let us skip school the money was so good.[b] [size="3"]It was the most tiring [/size][/b][/size][/color][b][size="3"][color="#1c2837"]3 days of the year though. [/color][color="#1c2837"]3 straight days of [/color][/size][/b][color="#1c2837"][size="2"][b][size="3"]2 bags[/size]. [/b]You'd get a minimum of [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$400 for the weekend. If your member-guest won, probably closer to [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$500 or [/size][/color][color="#1c2837"][size="2"]$600. It was a crazy weekend. Glad I'm not a caddy anymore though. No more getting there at 6 am sitting around in the caddy yard for 6 hours not getting a loop.[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Haha man you would never last at our place if you were beat after only 3 days of 18 hole doubles. Double bags is the norm every day and many times you do a "double-double," which is 36 holes with 2 bags for each round (so 4 bags per day). In our peak season it's not uncommon to do 6 or 7 straight days of double-doubles. Often you only have 10 or 15 minutes of break in between rounds. 7,000-yard hilly course in southern humidity too.

To the original poster: you will find out really fast if caddying is right for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

usually between 100 and 120 for doubling. highest rank at my club been working there for 8 years.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Project X 6.5 Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
Titleist 917 F2 13.5* Diamana 80 X
Titleist913Hd 18* Diamana Ahina 90 X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW DG X100
Cleveland RTX4 50*, 56*, 62* DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR
Srixon Z Star

I caddied at a club in the Chicago suburbs back in the day. We had B, A, Honor, and Rat (college and over). The b-jocks as they were called usually made no lower than $30 for a single bag if you were just an OK caddy. Some lower some higher depending on the member. Once you were there for a little while and knew what you were doing a B would average around $40-$60 for a single bag. A would get $50-$80, and so on and so forth.

Honors and Rats usually always double bagged (or single cart with 2 members) and could easily pull in $100-$200 for a single loop.

Then there was a double cart (2 carts and 4 members).... you could make bank if you had a good group.

Tons of perks in caddying as well. I was given clubs, bags, and balls here and there. You get to know a ton of people and the members are usually always good guys to make connections with. I know some people who caddied in college and it resulted in getting a job from a member they looped for multiple times.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

[quote name='cpeck12' timestamp='1304097000' post='3196288']
I caddied at a club in the Chicago suburbs back in the day. We had B, A, Honor, and Rat (college and over). The b-jocks as they were called usually made no lower than $30 for a single bag if you were just an OK caddy. Some lower some higher depending on the member. Once you were there for a little while and knew what you were doing a B would average around $40-$60 for a single bag. A would get $50-$80, and so on and so forth.

Honors and Rats usually always double bagged (or single cart with 2 members) and could easily pull in $100-$200 for a single loop.

Then there was a double cart (2 carts and 4 members).... you could make bank if you had a good group.

Tons of perks in caddying as well. I was given clubs, bags, and balls here and there. You get to know a ton of people and the members are usually always good guys to make connections with. I know some people who caddied in college and it resulted in getting a job from a member they looped for multiple times.
[/quote]

where did u caddie. i got a job at naperville cc.

[quote name='thaus7' timestamp='1304129006' post='3197252']
[quote name='cpeck12' timestamp='1304097000' post='3196288']

[/quote]

where did u caddie. i got a job at naperville cc.
[/quote]

I caddied at Butterfield Country Club in Oak Brook.

My cousin caddied at Naperville CC. They run things a little different over there from Butterfield but he liked it. I played it a few times.... it's a nice course, but nothing like Butterfield.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

[quote name='polarisdude94' timestamp='1304130029' post='3197299']
I caddy at a high end course and make about 80-100 my first year for a single.
[/quote]

80 is min by me. Usually ave 200+ a day though.

Try and get into a Trump course ;)

Oh man, I just read this whole thread. You guys are getting ripped off thinking 100 for fore caddieing (for a 4some lol) is a lot and a fantastic day. My fantastic days forecaddieng are in the 300+ range with 3 people on a cart, so basically 100 a bag for that. I guess it all depends on what state you are in.

I caddy at one of the top clubs in the DC area, and my first summer, I made 19 a bag I carried on my paycheck, plus about 40 a bag tip. Forecaddying, I probably got about 25 per person, which ain't bad when you're handling a group of four. The best loop I got was for a couple hotshot lawyers who each gave me a c note after the round. On the other side of the token, there were days I didn't even get a loop, and I even lost a couple bucks playing poker in the caddyshack. It's a fun job though, and they let you play the course on Mondays. Beats working at McDonalds lol

[quote name='gumbo' timestamp='1304420719' post='3204185']
I caddy at one of the top clubs in the DC area, and my first summer, I made 19 a bag I carried on my paycheck, plus about 40 a bag tip. Forecaddying, I probably got about 25 per person, which ain't bad when you're handling a group of four. The best loop I got was for a couple hotshot lawyers who each gave me a c note after the round. On the other side of the token, there were days I didn't even get a loop, and I even lost a couple bucks playing poker in the caddyshack. It's a fun job though, and they let you play the course on Mondays. Beats working at McDonalds lol
[/quote]

How do you guys get jobs as caddies? just call em up and ask? theres 2 near me that have caddies. robert trent jones and congressional

Adams Speedline 9064LS 10.5*
Adams Speedline Fast 12 3 Wood 15*
Adams IdeaTECH 3 Hybrid 19*
Nike Covert 2.0 Forged 4-AW Nippon 950GH
Shitty Wedge
TaylorMade TPA VII

[quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1304447380' post='3205074']
[quote name='gumbo' timestamp='1304420719' post='3204185']
[/quote]

How do you guys get jobs as caddies? just call em up and ask? theres 2 near me that have caddies. robert trent jones and congressional
[/quote]

Caddie Masters is the company that provides the caddies to many of these places. But coming from Woodbridge, VA - you may end up breaking even. I asked one of our guys what he makes each day and it was about $100-200. Do the job for fun and golf privileges - but I'd guess it's a terrible way to support a family?

Add TPC Potomac and Burning Tree to your list which are both a stone's throw away from CCC.

[quote name='AFSFK' timestamp='1304447380' post='3205074']
[/quote]

Yeah just go in or give them a call and see if they need caddies. Should do it soon though cause most places put a freeze on new caddies after a certain date.

• 4 weeks later...

I caddy at a course in Michigan called the Dunes Club and they have a strict policy when it comes to caddies. It's technically 50 plus tip, but you make 100 about 85% of the time. You don't get a chance to double or go twice in a day though. But I've had days where I made over 200 for a single 18 holes.