2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NEW KNEE

NOW WALKING, BUT ...
I recently had total knee replacement in my left knee, and have decided to start walking/carrying my bag. For many years I was forced to ride due to knee issues.
I love to walk. It's a different game in my mind. However, I get so tired and sore, I have difficulty putting a solid move on the ball, and find myself often flailing at the ball.
Not always, but too many times. I fear it's wrecking my game beyond repair. Anyone been down this road, that can offer some suggestions? I tend to be pretty bullheaded, and don't want to get back in a cart. (AGE56/6.9INDEX)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my total knee in 2007 at 57 after years of increasing pain and disability. My game got much, much better over a couple of years after the TKR. I'll bet yours will too if you give it a chance.

I can share two thoughts based on my recovery. Trust your knee. You may be carrying a lot of psychological baggage from the pain and stiffness from the arthritis that damaged the knee in the first place. You probably suffered with the old knee for years before you had it replaced. That undoubtably effected your game in ways you didn't realize because they were gradual. Now that you have a new knee, you may be experiencing the change in your physiology (new knee) and your old swing.

Second, because you probably road more before the surgery, your body may not be in the best shape. Walking and carrying is hard work. Fatigue can really mess up a good swing and "mess with your head" as well. Use a push cart for a while. Or, you might consider walking nine and then riding. You might also be suffering from a syndrome that accompanies a TKR, aging. We are getting a little older, you know. We don't have all the strength and energy we used to have. It does happen. Enjoy it. You've earned it.

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1307187805' post='3283975']
I had my total knee in 2007 at 57 after years of increasing pain and disability. My game got much, much better over a couple of years after the TKR. I'll bet yours will too if you give it a chance.

I can share two thoughts based on my recovery. Trust your knee. You may be carrying a lot of psychological baggage from the pain and stiffness from the arthritis that damaged the knee in the first place. You probably suffered with the old knee for years before you had it replaced. That undoubtably effected your game in ways you didn't realize because they were gradual. Now that you have a new knee, you may be experiencing the change in your physiology (new knee) and your old swing.

Second, because you probably road more before the surgery, your body may not be in the best shape. Walking and carrying is hard work. Fatigue can really mess up a good swing and "mess with your head" as well. Use a push cart for a while. Or, you might consider walking nine and then riding. You might also be suffering from a syndrome that accompanies a TKR, aging. We are getting a little older, you know. We don't have all the strength and energy we used to have. It does happen. Enjoy it. You've earned it.
[/quote]

Thanks brother!

• 3 weeks later...

One of my regular playing partners/competitor/friend had both knees replaced a few years back (I believe he was 52 @ the time). He still walks every round (doesn't carry, though), still competes at the highest levels, even at 58. Just take care of your body in any way that you can, and continue to work on your game. Best of luck, buddy!

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='vinny809' timestamp='1307210453' post='3284468']
Maybe wear comfortable running shoes instead of golf shoes. It makes a difference for my golf instructor for the final 3 holes, when you're walking in tournaments all day.
[/quote]

Good idea but I'd look at trail running shoes instead - in general they offer more lateral support than sneakers and their soles are designed for traction. I've used them for years; very comfortable (there's usually more padding) and I like the convenience of wearing them to and from the course. Good prices, lots of sizes and models, and some running magazines have a 'top 10 list' which can be accessed on line. Finally, the manufacturer will usually describe exactly what variables each model is targeting.

As a side note, a friend with knee and ankle issues has problems with the stability of spikes stressing those areas.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I had a total knee replacement of the left knee at the ripe old age of 29. I find it way too difficult to walk 18, so I always ride. I have found that nice wide Footjoys are the easiest and most stable shoe to get around in. Riding in the cart allows me to take the weight off of my knee between shots. Good luck with the recovery. Don't skimp on the rehab.

I can't help but think, someone with a TKR, although wanting exercise, is overdoing walking, carrying sticks, and playing. I recall reading somewhere, that every pound you lose, takes 5 pounds off the knees. The reverse of that? Adding the poundage of the clubs to your weight and putting THAT on your knees.

I suggest playing with someone with a cart, and let them tote your clubs, play like a pro- (they walk but don't carry of course). Less stress on the knee, and your game will improve. YMMV...

My second suggestion, high end shoe inserts with inertia absorbing sorbothane inserts to cushion your feet on the ground in addition to shoe support. Don't even consider a CHEAP shoe. Get the best.

I used to walk a lot, but I've got more conditioning to do before I am back there, real knees or not. But trust me, I have my share of pains approaching the double nickel.
Whatever you do, play well,
Doug

[quote name='D2Doug' timestamp='1309203328' post='3339378']
I can't help but think, someone with a TKR, although wanting exercise, is overdoing walking, carrying sticks, and playing. I recall reading somewhere, that every pound you lose, takes 5 pounds off the knees. The reverse of that? Adding the poundage of the clubs to your weight and putting THAT on your knees.

I suggest playing with someone with a cart, and let them tote your clubs, play like a pro- (they walk but don't carry of course). Less stress on the knee, and your game will improve. YMMV...

My second suggestion, high end shoe inserts with inertia absorbing sorbothane inserts to cushion your feet on the ground in addition to shoe support. Don't even consider a CHEAP shoe. Get the best.

I used to walk a lot, but I've got more conditioning to do before I am back there, real knees or not. But trust me, I have my share of pains approaching the double nickel.
Whatever you do, play well,
Doug
[/quote]
It seems that my body and mind are definitely on different wavelengths. Maybe I can't do this.

TheBobGuy, best of luck getting back to playing good golf after TKR. Take it slow at first, and do not get discouraged. As others have said, a better option would definitely be a push cart rather than carrying when you want to walk.

I too, am looking at a TKR a bit later in life (currently 47) as I have beeen diagnosed as "bone to bone" in my left knee, but don't want to get it until absolutely necessary.

Hit'em straight.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* set to 11.5* Fujikura Motore 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood 20.5* Aldila Tour Blue 70 Stiff or Hy: Callaway Apex 20* w/ Kuro Kage 80 Stiff

4-Hy: Ping G410 w/ Tour Stiff
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff (+1")
Putter: Scotty Cameron X-5 (36")
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Find the most comfortable shoes you can find and wear them playing. For me, that's the Ecco Street Premiere, but you might find something else from another manufacturer is more comfortable.

The next tip I have is to buy a nice push cart. Sure, pride might have you wanting to carry your golf bag, which is admirable, and something you should be able to work up to. That said, pride is no reason to play in pain and make an already tough game tougher and more tiring. Since you're fresh off of the TKR, go ahead and invest in a nice push cart and make it easy on yourself while you work the strength back up in the knee. There's nothing wrong with pushing your clubs at all, as you can still get the click clack of clubs lightly bouncing around in the bag, and you're still walking in the morning dew or the setting sun. The walking is the part that's the rewarding part, and carrying your clubs is fun. But why make yourself have a tougher time right now when you can build up to it?

I commend you for being able to play the game and enjoy it as much as you can after the TKR, I know someone that couldn't play after theirs for a LOOOOONG time, and it still bothered him to try and walk. Don't rush it too much and injure yourself. Kudos to you for being able to get back out and want to walk.

Bob guy, You didn't say how long it's been since your surgery. I had TKR on my left knee in Jan of 2010 and the right one two mths later in March of 2010. I was able to hit balls by late April 2010 but my presurgery swing was so messed up from compensating for my painfull knees, it took me almost a year before I got my swing back but I didn't push things and did my rehab religiously . I don't walk as I still have arthritis in my feet so riding is more enjoyable and I also am concerned that the more stress I put on my new knees, the easie/faster they will wear out or be damaged. In conjunction with that, I have modified my swing so I don't put as much stress on the knees by opening my front foot and keeping my lower body quiet . As ' 8the hard way' suggested, try the hiking shoes. The have enough traction so you won't slip and hurt the knee but still allow the foot to 'spin out' instead of tourging the knee. Keep rehabing and have patience. You'll be glad you did.
JC

[quote name='bassman1308' timestamp='1309742953' post='3362279']
Bob guy, You didn't say how long it's been since your surgery. I had TKR on my left knee in Jan of 2010 and the right one two mths later in March of 2010. I was able to hit balls by late April 2010 but my presurgery swing was so messed up from compensating for my painfull knees, it took me almost a year before I got my swing back but I didn't push things and did my rehab religiously . I don't walk as I still have arthritis in my feet so riding is more enjoyable and I also am concerned that the more stress I put on my new knees, the easie/faster they will wear out or be damaged. In conjunction with that, I have modified my swing so I don't put as much stress on the knees by opening my front foot and keeping my lower body quiet . As ' 8the hard way' suggested, try the hiking shoes. The have enough traction so you won't slip and hurt the knee but still allow the foot to 'spin out' instead of tourging the knee. Keep rehabing and have patience. You'll be glad you did.
JC

[/quote]
TKR took place Nov 30 '10. The following February I required manipulation as a result of being "stuck". Scar tissue adhering to the prosthesis. At such time they proceeded
to tear my quad muscle during a difficult proceedure. I was playing golf in Mesquite in March out of a power cart of course. Since then, it's been this process of conditioning.
Balance and weight transfer onto left side biggest issue besides the fatigue factor of walking. I don't know to what degree carrying affects my swing. Leg fatigue seems to
be the big factor. Dead legs don't make for good form. I have been wearing a variety of shoes. Spikes don't play much of a role with me. At 6'3"/275lbs, I'm not goin anywhere.
I appreciate the advice. Patience is waning. Gonna order Riksha cart today. TY

• 2 months later...

I ran into a guy I used to ski with at Snowbird who had bilateral total knee replacements 2 yrs ago. He told me that he put in a 118 days of skiing this last winter at Snowbird. B/C of the excercises he had to do after the surgery was in better shape now than when we used to ski together back in the 80's. Since I used to ski with him I know how he skiies and it isn't slow and sedate. He said the only real draw back was that the only time he can consider getting air is on a good powder day.

I had to quit skiing when I was 45 b/c there wasn't a whole lot of cartilage left in my right knee. I got a right tibal osteotomy instead. It has lasted for almost 10 years now, but I can feel the knee deteriorating. It doesn't seem to really bother my golf game, but walking, if I stand on it just wrong or going donwhill it lets me know its there. I'm definetly going to talk to my orthopod about this. If true I'll schedule a RTK for next winter.