2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ipod 4 vs. Droid?

verizon
Looking to upgrade my phone, and was wondering which is the best?

What I'm really looking for, is which one has the best gps app, and I guess best camera/video? Its basically gonna be my golf phone for playing, and practice haha. Any help is appreciated!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andriods are to Windows Vista......as Iphones are to Snow Leopard. If you don't understand that then I can't help you.

For the record I have a HTC EVO.....but after witnessing how catastrophic the Gingerbread update was to my phone...I wish I had an iPhone....Apple doesn't allow things like this to happen and I can appreciate that.

Wait until September...and get the iPhone 5.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

Iphone will cost you all the way around, nothing performs for free like the android based phones. Which droid u talkin' about? U seem a bit behind....go to cnet and read the reviews...and then google the android blogs! There are multiple sites dedicated to how poor of a device the iphone will prove to be.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Yeah I'm pretty behind I guess haha. I'm 29 but don't blog, don't have a facebook, or use twitter hahah. So, I'm not always on my cell phone. I really don't know what model of droid I'm looking at, something in the same price line as the iphone 4.

I'd like to upgrade from my Lg Razor or whatever, as the internal screen is cracked.

Looks like I might just go with one of the droids, as I do recall hearing negative things about the iphone.

Both have HD video right? And good gps apps?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

It depends on if you like things that are easy to use or are a pain in the a$$. Some people like the iPhone and some like the void.

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z+ 9.5* with Aldila RIP alpha 70x 44.5"
3 wood: Ping G20 15* with Motore F3 x-stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 910H 21* with Aldila RIP alpha 100x
4-PW: Titleist AP2 710 with DG x100
GW: Titleist SM5 RAW 52* with DG x100
SW: Titleist SM5 RAW 56* with DG s400
LW: Titleist SM4 60* with DG s400
Putter: Low Tide Fin

Droid X: [b]Skydroid gps golf app $1.99[/b], 8mp camera, hd video capable never had any issues with it, when I am up for my next upgrade I will get another droid platform phone.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have the HTC Evo and like it. iPhone isn't an option since I'm on Sprint and really like their service. Everything else we have is Apple - iMac, Mac Book Pro, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV - so I know how good the Apple products are and you know I'm a fan.

I use the video function on my Evo to record swings, then import those videos to the V1 app and use that to make lines, etc to critique the swings. The app is free and pretty darn cool.

My only complaint about the Evo is the battery life STINKS! With a full charge I'm lucky to get 6-8 hours of normal use (some phone, email, text) before it's ready to go back on the charger.

Kevin

I own an iPhone 4 when it came out on Verizon and it's been everything I hoped it would it be which is saying a lot. Over the years, I always got other phones hoping they would be a substitute for an iPhone, but they never lived up to my expectations

There are tons of GPS and swing analysis apps including a couple free ones which probably aren't the best, but heck they are free. From a non-golf perspective, my sister has the Droid and brother-in-law owns a Droid X...after playing with my iPhone, both wish they owned one. I know a lot of Droid users that absolutely love their phones, but I can say this phone has 100% lived up to everything I expected.

As info...I'm posting from my iPhone. I hate to sound like an Apple fanatic, but I love this thing!

There are three kinds of people in the world; those who have an iPhone, those who want an iPhone, and those who think I'm full of crap. And trust me, you don't want to be lumped into the same category as my wife. :lol:

Seriously, I love my iPhone. It's become a bit of an extension of myself and has uses that go so much further than simply staying connected (still geeking over iping! :D). My brother just got whatever brand new Droid came out recently and likes it well enough. Screen on mine is better, though his is slightly bigger. Camera on his is a little better. He does like the interface of the iPhone better, but that's probably because he's used to the iPod Touch. Droid does seem to sync quicker. However, battery life on my iPhone kills his Droid. And when you're doing tons of stuff on your phone, that can be a big one (especially if you use your phone for a golf gps or other battery hogging applications).

Whichever way you go, get what you like and don't look back. :hi:

:hi:

I love my android phones, i've had two, thr origional droid, and and htc thunderbolt, and my wife has the droid X, skydroid for 2 bucks and works great, tons of free apps, works with flash. I have had some problems with apple products, especially itunes and the app store, probably freak things that no one else has had but it has kept me away from the iphone, but really I don't think I would switch anyway

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1308353530' post='3315486']
Iphone will cost you all the way around, nothing performs for free like the android based phones.
[/quote]

Care to explain how iPhones cost you all the way around and that Androids perform for free?

Same price for hardware (typically $199 for most high end smart phones) - same price for data. Same price for everything. + or - $5.

Both good platforms, both the same cost. Don't fall for "one is cheaper than the other". I've owned both.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I have a Droid and while a great phone and has some very good GPS golf maps the battery life is awful. If I am running the Skydroid golf app the entire round (and this isn't pulling it out for every shot) and it lasts >4.5 hours I am close to out of battery life. I don't have an iPhone so can't comment on if it is the same battery problem but the droid's battery sucks.

Battery life on the iphone 3GS was mediocre - BUT the iPhone 4 is much improved. Now I can go thru 2 complete days with moderate usage without a charge. And I run using a GPS app which taps the battery a little - but nothing more than 7-8% for a 45 minute run.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I don't want it to turn ugly - I just wanted to clarify that thee is a lot of mis-information out there. While the iPhone is very controlled by Apple (which is so they can keep everything working well and consistent - which I like) Android users like to suggest that their platform is OPEN (which it is not) You can not install any OS you want on Android without serious rooting (cracking the superuser account) and their apps are not ALWAYS free. You can not modify your AndroidOS to run differently, you cannot recompile your android kernel to add new features. It's equally closed and controlled. Yes you can theme or re-skin it to make it look different - but it's a brutal adventure.

I used Android 2.1 for a few month along side my iPhone 4 and I prefer the quality of apps on the iPhone. Especially the high end apps such as Nike + GPS which is free and Golf Shot GPS. I don't mind spending $19 for a quality Golf GPS app and $1 for a game. Guitar Toolkit is highly polished and graphical. $9, big deal. So I have a total of 40 apps on my phone and all are free except the 3 I mentioned which cost me $29 in all. And the quality is there. I also like the integration with my home stereo - I use "remote app" to control the music in every room of my house via itunes, which is free - But I'm an Apple guy. It just works.

Not bashing Android - I'm glad it's there as an alternative. My choice is the iPhone.

Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I own the Droid X, and absolutely love what it brings to the table. I use it to film my swings on the course and the video quality is fine for me. In regards to the GPS, I use FreeCaddie ($0.00) and it gives you the distance to the front, middle, and back of the green. I have yet to play a course that is not in it's database. Battery life is not an issue if you simply push the top button to turn the screen off after each use. I go out with a full battery and come back with about 60%. If you can remember that, you won't have any problems! Best of luck to you!

I prefer the droid, but both are nice. I have a droid incredible 2, and I'm pretty familiar with the Apple apps, as I have an iPad. Also my son and wife have the iphone 4 (mainly because they wanted to keep continuity with their itunes account when transitioning from an ipod to a smartphone), so I'm pretty familiar with the iphone 4 as well.

First my rant... Frankly I hate itunes. I hate itunes mainly because it is like a virus on Windows 7 (or any windows for that matter). When the Windows OS is setup with multiple user accounts, iTunes always wants to open in the background, and if someone else is also logged in on the same machine and left itunes open or an ipod plugged into the PC, you get an annoying error pop up from itunes about once per minute. I get steamed even thinking about that message and annoying boing sound. Apple knows this problem exists and yet fails to fix the problem. The internet is full of dead end solutions that don't work.
:diablo:

Enough of my rant about itunes...

The key differences that I notice between the iphone and incredible 2, that might be important to you and for a golf app is;
1. The iphone 4's screen is noticeably smaller and therefore less pleasing to my 40 something eyes. So think about screen size when selecting a phone.

2. There are many golf gps apps for both platforms, some free and some for fee, so if you know of one that you like, make sure its available on the phone you get.

3. The overall function of the iphone is simpler, meaning fewer user setup options and sub menus, which might be good if you aren't much of a techie, but to me the iphone is too restrictive. Also, I prefer the way similar apps work on the droid over the iphone.

4. With droid, you aren't restricted to apps from their app market, and you can go to sites like Amazon, or other geeky sites and get apps that they don't have for the iphone nor on the droid market. While on the other hand, Apple only allows you to get apps that are in their app store that they want you to have. So it's a little like the wild west with the droid, so you have to be more careful.

Yes, smartphones are pretty amazing considering their versatility, and either will do the job for you. But with all that said about these amazing phones, I can tell you that I still GREATLY prefer the function of a dedicated golf GPS device.

Good luck

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1308408227' post='3316564']
I don't want it to turn ugly - I just wanted to clarify that thee is a lot of mis-information out there. While the iPhone is very controlled by Apple (which is so they can keep everything working well and consistent - which I like) Android users like to suggest that their platform is OPEN (which it is not) You can not install any OS you want on Android without serious rooting (cracking the superuser account) and their apps are not ALWAYS free. You can not modify your AndroidOS to run differently, you cannot recompile your android kernel to add new features. It's equally closed and controlled. Yes you can theme or re-skin it to make it look different - but it's a brutal adventure.
[/quote]

Speaking of mis-information... You can, in fact recompile your own kernel to add new features as well as run a different version of android on your device. Rooting an android device is no different than jailbreaking an iPhone. Apple does a much better job with the app store making sure apps work and there's no fragmentation with Apple's devices. Everything works which is fantastic. Having owned both, I prefer Android devices.

Back on topic, if you're main use for this phone is going to be golf gps I think you'd like an iPhone more. An iPhone 4 will last the whole round with the gps on and the app running and still have enough juice to get you through the rest of the day. I have to carry a spare battery around with my Thunderbolt if I want it to last that long. The gps on the iPhone, at least in my experience, is also faster to get a fix and is more accurate. I've had a Samsung Fascinate as well as the Thunderbolt and both took longer than both my iPhone 3gs and my friend's iPhone 4 to find my location. Even when my location is found there's always a margin of error of 3-5 yards. For someone like me that hits the ball all over the place that's not a big deal but if you require some precision out of your device, I'd think strongly about the iPhone.

I've only owned the iPhone 4 but my brother has owned both Droid and the Iphone 4 and he liked the Iphone much more and after using his Droid for a while I have to agree with him. For me the interface of the Iphone was much easier to use, the screen was way better and I also really liked that the Iphone snycs with my iTunes library which I'm not sure the Droid does. So I'd have to say IPhone hands down

[quote name='ndlax2340' timestamp='1308760834' post='3327179']
I've only owned the iPhone 4 but my brother has owned both Droid and the Iphone 4 and he liked the Iphone much more and after using his Droid for a while I have to agree with him. For me the interface of the Iphone was much easier to use, the screen was way better and I also really liked that the Iphone snycs with my iTunes library which I'm not sure the Droid does. So I'd have to say IPhone hands down
[/quote]

You can use doubletwist to sync an android device with an iTunes library.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1308759904' post='3327137']
Just to correct a statement...I counted over 10 Golf GPS apps in the App Store for the iPhone before I decided to stop counting...
[/quote]

Yes you are correct. I will correct my post. I didn't notice "see all" option on the iphone, so there are a boat load of golf GPS apps for the iphone. There are also many for the droid (more than I said). The most important thing is to make sure the app you like is available for your platform.

Thanks

[quote name='crookshanks' timestamp='1308760298' post='3327158']

Back on topic, if you're main use for this phone is going to be golf gps I think you'd like an iPhone more. An iPhone 4 will last the whole round with the gps on and the app running and still have enough juice to get you through the rest of the day. I have to carry a spare battery around with my Thunderbolt if I want it to last that long. The gps on the iPhone, at least in my experience, is also faster to get a fix and is more accurate. I've had a Samsung Fascinate as well as the Thunderbolt and both took longer than both my iPhone 3gs and my friend's iPhone 4 to find my location. Even when my location is found there's always a margin of error of 3-5 yards. For someone like me that hits the ball all over the place that's not a big deal but if you require some precision out of your device, I'd think strongly about the iPhone.
[/quote]

The Thunderbolt is known for terrible battery life, so I don't think its a fair comparison.

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1308368035' post='3315970']
[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1308353530' post='3315486']
Iphone will cost you all the way around, nothing performs for free like the android based phones.
[/quote]

Care to explain how iPhones cost you all the way around and that Androids perform for free?

Same price for hardware (typically $199 for most high end smart phones) - same price for data. Same price for everything. + or - $5.

Both good platforms, both the same cost. Don't fall for "one is cheaper than the other". I've owned both.
[/quote]

On Verizon, the iPhone will cost you more for insurance and the deductable if that's important to you. $10.99/month as opposed to $6.99/month and $89 deductable compared to $169. The video and camera is better on Droid X than iPhone in my honest opinion.

I've owned iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4G for AT&T and I think Droid competes very well with it. I wouldn't buy one just because its an iPhone especially for your needs. I will probably upgrade to iPhone 5 but the Droid X at least IMO and what I use it for is every bit as good as the iPhone 4 and cheaper for me.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

You need the iPhone.... I've seen you putt and you need the iPING app. this app will only be available for the iPhone.... No droid has the hardware to functionally run the app.

P.S. Just kidding about the putting zing.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH