2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

poor mans clubs

jaxxx123

For a game improvement club, it's just hard to go wrong with the Callaway X-14. If you don't like the offset, the X-14 Pro Series is not a bad choice either, with the amount of perimeter weighting that's in that club.

If you're a bit patient, you can find the titleist 804OS for about 250 on Ebay, and I think the NS Pro shaft is great for higher handicappers. It is a forged club, though, and won't be quite as durable as the X-14.

Other great clubs that can be had for cheap...Cleveland TA-3s...a little more on the player's side, but still with plenty of perimeter weighting. The TA-5 and TA-7 are even cheaper in some cases.

The Titleist 981 981SL is a great cast club as well...there's a set with Graphite on Ebay right now for $190...a great bargain for the quality.

Cleveland TA-3's? This guy's a high handicapper and those are players' cb's. I would avoid them! But the other suggestions are okay.

after searching I found a used set locally, taylormades rac HT with graphite regular shaft 3-pw for $200..what do you guys think? could I grow into these sets when i imporve my game and shoot in the low 90's or upper 80's?

would the regular graphit shaft be ok for me??? my SS is about 90 and im still young..mid 20's

I don't like the RAC HT's. They are okay for women and seniors but if you're serious about improving your score they're not a set you can grow with.

I reassert that the best set for someone in your position is the Adams Idea Irons which come with hybrids instead of a 3 and 4-iron. Hybrids are key for improvement. And if you look on eBay you can find these used for well under your ceiling price. You might even find one of the newer versions like the Idea A1 for well within your budget.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be sure to check out callawaygolfpreowned.com. Good prices on used cally stuff. You can find some X-14's on there and other irons too. They are accurate with descriptions, clean up the clubs, and you know they are the real deal. Plus, if you don't like what you bought send them back for something else.

I'm going to 2nd what dcmidnight said about the KE4's. Years ago I got into building clubs as a hobby, while at the same time I've owned three sets of Pings (purchased new) and am currently playing TM Rac LT's. I can honestly say that if you are on a tight budget and have even very basic mechanical skills and are willing to take your time and carefully build a set of irons, they will be every bit as rewarding as a high priced set of OEM irons. As dc said, the KE4's can be had for $99.00 now. Add a set of FST shafts and Star Sidewinder grips, and the "pieces" can be had for less than $200.00. I haven't hit them, but I've seen them at Golf Galaxy, and they look great. That would be the way to go.

I suggest a different approach Jaxxx123 (As your shooting in the 100's)- buy a set of really old blades, cheap as chips, spend about $20, get them re-gripped to suit yourself and clean them up. Then learn to love them, get to know how to hit them high, low, left and right. This will obviously cause initial pain, but the end result will be more than worth it.

When you finally go and buy your X-12's or LT's the game will again seem unfair - this time in your favour.

I suggest a different approach Jaxxx123 (As your shooting in the 100's)- buy a set of really old blades, cheap as chips, spend about $20, get them re-gripped to suit yourself and clean them up. Then learn to love them, get to know how to hit them high, low, left and right. This will obviously cause initial pain, but the end result will be more than worth it.

When you finally go and buy your X-12's or LT's the game will again seem unfair - this time in your favour.

Yikes! What a patently bad piece of advice IMHO. Golf is hard enough to learn with game improvement clubs. The learning curve is so slow that in the past, most people quit the game before getting past the beginners' stage. Game imrpovement technology has changed this fact about golf in recent years. Why then, would you advise someone to spit in the face of technology? Do you still play wound balls too, to make you appreciate it that much more when you hit a ProV1?

Don't overlook Tommy Armour.

They make world class clubs and the prices are very very affordable, playability is no joke and rank well on Rankmark and other test sites.

They are brand name but not scarry to the wallet.

I used the 845's before and never complained about there playability. Good for all skill levels and affordable.

http://www.tommyarmourgolf.com/home.asp

Going Pre-owned is a very wise choice as well!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I used to be all about the equipment myself and have spent some ridiculous money on irons alone. I used to hit Cobras (which at the time i bought them were expensive), but i searched around on the internet looking for some good clubs at a great price. Being in college (grad school) i can't afford really expensive clubs like i could when i was working the standard 9-5 jobs, i've recently just invested in a new set of irons and decided to go with Snake Eyes. In my opinion they are just as good, if not better, than any OEM club i have ever hit, and they are a fraction of the cost. In your price range you can get them custom fitted and the whole nine, and i doubt you'd be upset with the results.

If your shooting in the 100's, you might want to check out some Snake Eyes OS's, the guy i went through is Jim Mclain, hes a great guy and makes some really nice clubs. I'd check him out on mclaingolf.com , i believe the OS set is only 199$ custom fitted.

Pings, simply because with the dots you can tell what the lie is, and you can "fit" the clubs to you when you buy used. Other clubs you have to trust the seller to tell you the specs...and you do want to be fit...so unless I KNEW the history of the clubs, I'd get fit for pings (so I knew my color code) and then go out and find a USED set.

now i know you all may think this may soudns stupid. But some of the old hogan irons circa 1980s or before are amazing. I mean I have an old set of radials, as well an old set of forged edges, and they go furthur than my edge cfts. That being said they arent quite as forgiving or in the best repair so I dont play them. But either of these are amazing and can be picked up for less than 100 or in some cases less tahn 50 dollars.

• 2 months later...

Yikes! What a patently bad piece of advice IMHO. Golf is hard enough to learn with game improvement clubs. The learning curve is so slow that in the past, most people quit the game before getting past the beginners' stage. Game imrpovement technology has changed this fact about golf in recent years. Why then, would you advise someone to spit in the face of technology? Do you still play wound balls too, to make you appreciate it that much more when you hit a ProV1?

Tiger used ping eye 2 irons growing up, I think through High School.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Well, I am a 17 year old 12 handicap. I started at a 26 handicap three years ago, and dropped all the way to a 9 last summer(I've gone back up because I haven't hit a fairway since I can remember). All of this I did with my Tommy Armour 845fs silverscots. These(and newer versions as well) can be had for dirt cheap on ebay. I have even tried a set of taylormades, titleists, and even pings, but these 845's keep finding their way back into my bag. They are a cheap, high quality set of sticks that will meet your need on a budget.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I am a poor man on a tight budget, here is what I am doing:

Golfworks: Distance Master Pro Launch heads 3-PW $55.60

Grip One Seamless wrap grips 8.80

FST Pro Silver R-Flex steel shafts 52.00

GST & shipping 20.49

Total for components $136.89

Labor for custom club maker to assemble to my

personal specs (he happens to be a neighbor) $80.00

Grand total for a custom tailored set $216.89

If you don't use 3 or 4 irons then don't buy them and save 25%. If you are good enough to use them then DM's might not be the way to go. Nor will the FST be good enough.

A good set from Golfworks would be some CER's:

5 - PW = $60

True Temper Dynalite or TT XL = $42

Golf Pride Tour Velvet = $15

Shipping, tape, glue, solvent = $20

Assembly = $60

$197 total.

If you look around you can get a set of Cleveland TA7's brand new in the box for $299 with Sensicore or a set of New Nike NDS with steel for $299.

Even with my club woes right now, I was tempted to get a back up set of TA7's while I can still get them new.

I even know where you can get a really nice set of Ping i3+ Blades for a little bit more than $300... ;)

Nike NDS irons just had a pretty good drop in price. 200 - 300

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

1) Ping Zing

2) Callaway X-14

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

Nike NDS irons just had a pretty good drop in price. 200 - 300

Actually, the NDS I just saw were $199. Great deal.

Great set for the money ;)

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5*, Tour 65[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 14.5* fairway [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping Anser 17*, 20* Hybrids[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Ping G30 4-SW, CFS [/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Mack Daddy PM grind 58*[/size][/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=3]Ping CTR Tomcat C heavy 34"[/size][/color][/font]

there is a set in classified on here and this guy is a first class seller.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58541